'Major cables cut, Internet traffic disrupted' - Anyone facing bandwidth issues?

for those facing issues like me.... i read somewhere that around 65% traffic of india is affected :( hope it gets good soon :(

Why does it all happen in December :( Got this notification today in my office (edited slightly to remove sensitive information)

Currently we are experiencing backbone network issues that affects Telecom Group networks in the Middle East and Asia regions, due three separate sub-sea cable incidents today between Alexandria, Egypt and Palermo, Italy. Impacted cable segments are:

• SMW3 branch failure at segment 8.8, since 19 Dec 0722 UTC (limited capacity)

• SMW4 cable cut at segment 4.1, down since 19 Dec 0728 UTC

• Flag cable cut at Segment D, down since 19 Dec 0806 UTC

These three cable systems represent the majority of the telecommunications capacity between Asia / Middle East and Europe, impacting all carriers in the region. All the non - restorable traffic is impacted as well as most of the restorable traffic.

Cable repair ships Raymond Croze (to SMW4) and Certamen (to FLAG) are being dispatched, with repairs anticipated to be completed by 25 DEC, depending on the weather conditions. Repairs on the SMW3 segment will start after SMW4 is restored, with restoration anticipated by 01 JAN 2009.

Oops, Cable got cut again.. I didn't feel any effect on BSNL Broadband :p, they just cap my speeds during Night Unlimited (~1mbps @ night)

had issues yesterday but today its good , i am on airtel ,did get a message from airtel stating there may be downtimes but today no issues.

i m frm mumbai.. and yes my internet traffic was severly affected....i was only able to browse but unable 2 download anything....as anything i downloaded gave only 2-3 KBPS speeds...

my tata connection giving speeds like 20kpbs instead of 2mbps.... the customer care representative said its the cable cuts to blame... service to be restore by end of december...

regards
neo

It's fixed! At least partially - 150-170ms back for me. Delay in page loads has stopped and I'm getting more consistent speeds. Pings fluctuate to 220ms for a few seconds every now and then but that's OK.

WEee! Is this Santa's Christmas present? :p

Back