Living with Parents vs. Living Alone

married now and i do miss all the nagging and arguing that used to happen living with parents :D

Your wife does NOT nag OR you just scared to admit it!:bleh:

- - - Updated - - -

I have lived alone/with friends for about five years. Did learn a lot living alone, as you have struggle alone in making your daily decisions. Have become very independent and confident while living alone. But moved back with parents to take care of them. I always feel guilty for not being able to live with my granny. She stayed alone at my native place(Punjab). Don't want to have the same thing happen to my mom(Father passed away long time back).

The main reason about living with parents is emotional. They do get a lot of emotional support from you being around. I remember my mom being feeling scared and alone, especially after my fathers death. She did wanted me to continue living abroad(to further my career etc.). But I felt otherwise and came back home. Now I feel there is a lot of difference in her emotional state. Moreover she also likes to cook fondly for me and keeps complaining that I don't eat "enough". Somehow she feels shes able to do more justice to her motherly duties with me being around. Mothers will be mothers, nothing can change them. I still remember very vividly about my granny. Whenever we used to go for the yearly vacation to her place, she would love to cook all day around...meal after meal of Samosas, paranthas, tea, sweets and loads of milk+soda....and yet after all that she used to complain to my mom.."Tere nayane theek naal roti nahi khande" (meaning: your kids dont eat their meals properly)

Bottom Line is: If you have the ability to stay with your parents - DO IT, unless circumstances make it very difficult to. Once they have raised you to be independent...its your turn to return their love with yours. After all old age is also called "second childhood".

Living outside for job .

Pros for with Living : Countless , afterall I will ghar ka khana and no rent :yahoo: , no money towards acco , this,that .

Cons : Only one , constant monitoring from my Ma . Sometimes I wonder how do she manage to keep an eye on me all the time .:unsure:

college - hometown, first job - hometown. Got to live outside only during my second stint at college. Now Since my parents and sis decided to move it with me at my new location, I've not objected, but made it abundantly clear that they're living on my terms, and not the other way round. so far so good :ashamed:

I like living with my family. It's fun and life is more meaningful with people of your own blood. Also it helps that my parents are quite lenient so I never feel restricted.

I have lived alone, on and off, for a year or two at a stretch a couple of times. It's fun to be with friends to, hostel or in an apartment. Had loads of fun, a little too much I must say but at the end of the day, home is a place that feels completely different.

But I would rather everyone experience both sides of life to appreciate, well, both of them, living alone and with family.

I love my mom too much and i would never ever leave her alone... Our parents raise us on their own and in life sometimes they make choices for us... Sometimes they dont even spend money on them and save that money so that we can go to better school... live a better life... etc etc... They teach us how to live and they share their experiences so that we dont repeat those mistakes that they must have done in their lives... No matter how rudely we behave with them but once we get hurt or something they come running to help us out... No matter how much older you get they would treat you the same way they must have done when you were a kid... when you need any financial help they would be always there for you... They sacrifice a lot to raise us... They fight for us... they just like to give, they never ask for anything in return... Sometimes we stop thinking about them when we get a girl or something... We leave them alone in cold... but that's not right... This is not something they should get in return for what they did for us in their entire life... Just look into the eyes of your parents and you would come to know how much they love you... And nothing in this world is above them.. I pity those people who do not treat their parents in a good way... No matter how old, strong or wealthier we get we should treat our parents nicely...

If your parents would get happy, god would get happy so always try to make them happy :)

Looking at all the replies in this thread, I am quite proud to be a part of this community where most members feel that living with their parents is justified not because they have to but rather that they want to.

Like I tell most of the people who question this, living alone seems very cool but in the end, family is all that matters. No one else in the world gives a $h1t.

I, for one, don't have close relatives and am thankfully free from that nagging part. One of my friends was buying a car and could not pick the color black because his relatives didn't like it. :|

My family has done more for me than anyone ever has and ever could. I probably would have been a door-to-door salesman (no offense to anyone) if not for their love, patience and sacrifices. :p

I have lived alone/with friends for about five years. Did learn a lot living alone, as you have struggle alone in making your daily decisions. Have become very independent and confident while living alone. But moved back with parents to take care of them. I always feel guilty for not being able to live with my granny. She stayed alone at my native place(Punjab). Don't want to have the same thing happen to my mom(Father passed away long time back)....................................

Agree dude....Keep it up.

One more vote for living alone, it makes you more confident and you learn quickly what happens in the real world. Living with parents is like living in a cocoon where you are sheltered and protected from the outside world.

My only regret is that my parents didnt kick me out when I turned 18.

Mostly alone since 2010. Most times I am just fine with it but sometimes I miss my parents company alot, especially now with them being in Mumbai and my brother and I in Delhi.

I feel those who live with their parents are really lucky. Living in a family does not mean you cannot learn anything from them or they will hamper your growth into an independent person. On the contrary, those constant interactions with everyone and making decisions together with them will help you in your future life. One day in future, you will have children and a family of your own. You will face those same situations your parents went through and you could use that knowledge in your life. Living alone seems all well and good, but end of day, when you come back home, the house will be all dark and empty. You will need to cook your own food no matter how tired you are. After that you will have to clean the dishes too.
You wont have anyone to talk to. No one to ask advise, except over the phone. No one to tell how their day went or what interesting thing they saw that day. No constant chatting or buzz around the house. No children laughing, playing, etc.
No talkative females during festivals, etc (if you dont go home during those times). No people calling your name to do this and that. Its like all the colour has gone out from life itself.

Just enjoy all the goodness you get from living together as a family. Or it will be just you and your books or a comp or tv set to watch those dumb serials.

Like a member said above, people need to live alone to know what they get and what they will miss when staying alone.

Hmmm...Interesting discussion here :)

I had stayed with my parents till graduation. Life was very comfortable then. Never realized all the things my mother did for me. It was almost as i took all she did for granted. I used to be treated like a King.

Then reality hit me when i moved out of my hometown for work in Oct 2007.
My God, So many responsibilities. Washing clothes, getting ready for work, waking up from bed, No home cooked meals(meaning no nakhras :( ), difficult situations to deal with and the list goes on.

Initially I got too depressed...used to be talking to mother all the time on phone.
I had some girl trouble, that sent me to the worst of depression. My health became very poor.
Even friends leave you in such situations.
I realized that at the end of day, there would be no one to help you except your GOD and your parents (personal GOD :))

I realized what i had when i was back home was priceless and that my mother put a lot of efforts for everything.
No matter it may be hell outside home, but when I come back home, it always used to feel like heaven. It felt like a fortress, where the outside world would never reach me. I know I am acting melodramatic now. :)
By the end of my 4th year outside my home, I decided i needed to come back.
There was only 1 decent company in my hometown and I got that job.

So in Dec2011, I finally came back home, to the place which will always accept me unconditionally, no matter how I am or who I am. My Home :)

I feel those who live with their parents are really lucky. Living in a family does not mean you cannot learn anything from them or they will hamper your growth into an independent person. On the contrary, those constant interactions with everyone and making decisions together with them will help you in your future life. One day in future, you will have children and a family of your own. You will face those same situations your parents went through and you could use that knowledge in your life. Living alone seems all well and good, but end of day, when you come back home, the house will be all dark and empty. You will need to cook your own food no matter how tired you are. After that you will have to clean the dishes too.
You wont have anyone to talk to. No one to ask advise, except over the phone. No one to tell how their day went or what interesting thing they saw that day. No constant chatting or buzz around the house. No children laughing, playing, etc.
No talkative females during festivals, etc (if you dont go home during those times). No people calling your name to do this and that. Its like all the colour has gone out from life itself.

Just enjoy all the goodness you get from living together as a family. Or it will be just you and your books or a comp or tv set to watch those dumb serials.

Like a member said above, people need to live alone to know what they get and what they will miss when staying alone.

Brilliantly said.....Living alone will look good initially but at some stage we will require people around us...end of the day we are social animal and we require family around us.

Imagine living alone and then get married at 30....have 1 kid....and if you get to that ripe age of 50+ your kid leaves you and want to live separate....now you and your wife and if any one dies then for the remaining person life is a misery till they live....at this moment we will realize what we need and what our parents needed when they were old...

Its like what goes around......comes around

It depends on the scenario at home. A lot of the current generation needs 'space'. If one can get it while staying with parents, nothing like it. Some of us do get it, the ones who don't, either stay grudgingly else just move out.

I was brought up by my grandparents since we had to shift to Pune for my education, while my parents were in my hometown though not much far away.
Then living along with my elder brother from 9th to SE, now two years on (TE and BE) I'm living alone.

I have to admit it guys, living alone makes you quite tough. in 11th when many of the guys move out I saw how homesick they were. Calls to and from home more than 3 times a day, every decision has to approved by Home Ministry (no offence just seemed very funny).
Living alone, and by alone alone means totally alone-no roomies, bros is - I think bliss, switch of the cellphone and you can go your very own 'island'.

Though I have to admit the love we get from our parents is not one should miss.

I've been living on my own since 2005 (after finishing school). Living abroad means that I only get to speak to my folks once a week or two weeks due to the time difference. Even though I miss things such as ghar ka khana, there are so many other things I can enjoy being on my own.

I'd also like to think I have grown as person as a direct consequence of that and it makes me look forward to going home every year.

Even though I can't imagine ever moving back with them, ideally I would like to have them close by where I get to see them atleast once a week.

I've been living on my own since 2005 (after finishing school). Living abroad means that I only get to speak to my folks once a week or two weeks due to the time difference. Even though I miss things such as ghar ka khana, there are so many other things I can enjoy being on my own.

I'd also like to think I have grown as person as a direct consequence of that and it makes me look forward to going home every year.

Even though I can't imagine ever moving back with them, ideally I would like to have them close by where I get to see them atleast once a week.

Hey, this thread is Indians only.. get lost!

living with parents is comfy, but in life you WILL need to move out of your comfort zone. Especially in case if you are planning to move out after marriage/ new job offers etc. You really don't want to look like a noob at a crucial phase in your life. Staying alone and by yourself (and more importantly, without your parents) is a huge responsiblity and a headache, but something thats more or less inevitable, and the earlier you get used to it, the better

This is why I will Never EVER leave my Parents -
- They supported loved fed and paid for my education in every stage of my life.
Just for the sake of a little privacy breach i cant forget all that and ditch them.they mean the most in My life,everything else,including my career is secondary.
- they are the only role models i looks up to.My Life will be made if i can get 1% of my fathers Cultural mind or my Mums sense of practicality.thay are the best People i have came accross
- They love me as I am,they treat me like I am the prince
- The touch of Mums hand on Your Forehead when u are sick is heavenly
- at times of deep emotional turmoil they supported me like anything
- Privacy breach? i don't know,i have my own room,and My parents always Knock.they are also frequently out so My gf can come over :)
- I save a lot of money as My father,even after retirement, pays the bills
- now that they are old,that constant fear of emergency bugs Me.so I wanna Be as Close to them as possible.

it feels wonderful that my opinion is also shared by my TE buddies..Proud to be here guys :)

Back