Living with Parents vs. Living Alone

whatsinaname

Skilled
Apr 18, 2007
Oh, I'm sorry for that!

That's why I said assuming.:)

Can you explain this again?

I think @quixand means that he lives alone and his friends (who live with their parents) say that they would like to move out and share a place with him.

Last edited by a moderator:

scudmissile07

Confusingly confused!
Disciple
May 20, 2012
Garden city
My parents are unlucky chaps as we are from a small village,me & my brother were bought up in my grandma's house from age 4.Still we are not with our parents some times it feels very bad.But grandma's house was a big joint family enjoyed every second I lived there.
But life's a b**ch.Dad almost at his 60,definately want to spend the rest of time with mum & dad.
For me the heaven on earth is home.

pratzgh1

Pratzgh1
Adept
May 31, 2010
Navi Mumbai
I've come across people who are absolutely pampered shits who do not know how to use their credit cards or how to write a check. And these are grown ass 25+ year olds I'm talking about.

They'll never step out of the house have never lived in hostels, they have uncompromising behavior. They complain so much and do not get things done.
I have enjoyed making Ghar ka khana by myself with my mom helping me through skype, I have taken care of my taxes and finances with my dad helping me with it over the phone, I have watched my brother grow into a man and have been part of his grooming every chance I get...... so yes, I live alone but I am never far away from family. But I would never move back with my parents. They dedicated their lives to making me who I am, its time they relaxed without worrying about me.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Post was written by a work colleague who thought it was a general discussion and that writing in it was anonymous! :p

My views are a lot different and similar to many TE'ians. I love living with my parents and although i am a lazy son, they still love me unconditionally. (yeah unless i quit my job and sit home, conditions arise!)

Nothing much to add, just want to tell about an incident that really had me questioning my ownself. I had been to work, even after having a severe fever. Had mom calling since morning and it kept getting worse.

She called me at night while i was travelling home from work, and i said, i am in a really bad state. As soon as i got down at station, i see my dad standing with an umbrella in his hand. He had just come home from work and came to know about me, left with an auto wala friend (coz he still is unsure about his driving skills) to pick me up and also booked a doctor's appointment.

Parents love is somethng, that cannot be understood. It just needs some appreciation in actions from our side and no matter how much you may hate the way they care, they can't stop beingh parents.

Whatever i am, i will be, is all because of my parents. I Love them.

Nov 17, 2007
www.orkut.com
Well I was totally dependent on my parents until I moved out for my undergraduate studies. My college wasn't too far off, say 1.5hrs travel, but I wanted to be independent and get a sense of responsibility :bleh: Though I never wanted to stay away from my family and after 2 sems I realized I cant stay without them. Like others have mentioned, the feeling of knowing someone is waiting for you at home when you return is something led me back to my home and I started travelling daily. Did that until I graduated. I came to US for my grad studies and have been here for the past 3 years. I have worked at cafes, mopping, brushing grills, stocking in subzero temperatures, managing finances, daily chores, cooking and everything I could possibly think of that has made me strong and who I am. But, in the end, everything was possible because of my parents, for what they have done and sacrificed to give me a life that they could just imagine of, all unconditionally. Its about time I give them, not to repay for what they have done, not just as my responsibility, but just because they are my parents, they mean everything to me, they deserve every bit of what I can do for them and because I want to. :)

Privacy mattered to me when I was with them, but now after all the privacy I get, I long for them in my house, in my room. I want someone to nag me, to scold me, to show me the right path. I talk to them everyday on phone and on skype on weekends, but that just doesnt satisfy my love or my eagerness to see them in person, feel them, hear them. :(

My parents have made arrangements in case I dont want to live with them, but I for one cant let that happen. They would not move to US with me (not that I want to stay here either), so I am soon going to return to my parents, and give them all I could do, just how they have provided me with, throughout my life, unconditionally. It is time for me to adjust and sacrifice even if it hinders my progress/dreams/personal interests, cause they never let theirs. As for the staying in US part, I love my country as much as I love my parents. I just can't stand the life here, culture here, even with all the $ that I get. After all, what are you going to do with those when you cant spend them with your family and friends and though I send money back home that just doesnt count. I miss celebrating festivals back home, with my family and friends, that feeling is simply irresistible. I have learned what I should and what I could staying away from them and its time to get back to them and learn even more valuable lessons that I cant get elsewhere. Staying with them gives me the feeling of security that I have and will never feel elsewhere. :hail:

In fact, one of my criteria to choose a girlfriend was that she should be able to love my parents and respect them as I do :p (and of course I am going to do that to my in-laws no matter how they are). Just waiting to recover my educational expenses, save a bit and then return to my parents. Currently planning to buy a new flat in India, part of my future return plans. ;) I dont want my child to grow up in this culture, and believe me when I say that (seen a lot :p). I want my children to be a citizen of India :yahoo:

PS: This is just my opinion, they way I think, they way I have been brought up and I am proud of it. I respect your opinion and expect the same from you. No disrespect to US or its culture, but its just so not for me :happy26:

That was a long post :scared14:

RD274

I.can.edit.this?omg
Skilled
Sep 9, 2009
Ahmedabad
The sincerity in some of these posts is really touching. Keep them coming guys.

I personally wish I could contribute something but unfortunately I'm still a student and quite incapable of even having the option of living by myself, atleast as of this year. But yes, next year I do plan on moving out and some of the posts here really do give a lot of advice and information which I hadn't considered until now.

Ankit12

Disciple
Sep 27, 2012
I know I'm posting my view a little late on this forum :p but it is such and interesting discussion. I have been living alone for the past 4 years now and I wouldn't change anything about my life at the moment. True I feel homesick every now and then, but I feel so good being on my own. It feels good to be able to live your life independently and doing things for yourself - managing finances, maintaining your home and handling various expenses. I do believe that maybe after a point in life, you grow a lot more when you move away from home. It's not easy initially but I've started to love my life now that I'm my own boss :D

Aug 29, 2011
Vadodara
I have never lived alone(since I am a student and with my college in same city) I do really like to live alone and like to have my private space, but on the other hand people who here have opinion that parents cared for us now its time for us to do the same, I totally agree with that, but once I get married and start working I think I will need my own place

krugur

Gaming Freak
Skilled
Apr 27, 2010
Bangalore
I have been leaving alone since my college days. 5+ years after college and i still love the current arrangement.
I think there should be stages of life when u live with parents and dont. In my perspective this is how it is.

1-17 ... U need their guidance.
17 - Marriage .... U need freedom so leaving alone
Marriage to First chid ... U need to romance so leaving alone + 1 ;)
First child ..... 1 year ... again u need their guidance
1 year to some time future. Spending time with your children.
And when parents old age ... then need you so spend time with them.

But as Gannu has mentioned before, somedays you feel as scared if something might happen and you are not their for them ( especially after some family movie ).

Sei

Skilled
Aug 14, 2006
Pune
I have been leaving alone since my college days. 5+ years after college and i still love the current arrangement.
I think there should be stages of life when u live with parents and dont. In my perspective this is how it is.

1-17 ... U need their guidance.
17 - Marriage .... U need freedom so leaving alone
Marriage to First chid ... U need to romance so leaving alone + 1 ;)
First child ..... 1 year ... again u need their guidance
1 year to some time future. Spending time with your children.
And when parents old age ... then need you so spend time with them.

But as Gannu has mentioned before, somedays you feel as scared if something might happen and you are not their for them ( especially after some family movie ).

I, for one, feel that children have a really wonderful and secure childhood if they have the constant love and support of grandparents. It does make a difference.

mojo

Adept
Jun 9, 2011
We need to live with the parents after our studies or should take them where we go if it is not possible to stay with them. Till the completion of our studies they worked hard for us. And now it was our time to look after them. All they need is a little bit of care and love from us. I've stayed away from home for 4 years and was back again. I remember the days which i felt bad when i stayed away from my home. My mom loves to talk to me much and we have all the silly chat when i go back to home from office. She feels very much happy if i talk to her for a little while.

Somewhere i have read Home is not home without MOM.

It was true. Love you mom and dad.