LG Optimus One and the notorious Dust Problem...

Not only may their (service center) solution not be permanent, they actually screwed up my phone. In the process of attempting to clean it, they inadvertently added lot more particulate matter under the screen. All visible nicely when seen in sunlight. After this, in a nutshell, the phone started acting up...

Besides the dust issue, the headset given to me was also defective... or maybe it was the phone. I'll never know for sure now.

Giving a phone to a service center is always risky, and the risk is proportional to the shabbiness of the primate sitting there with a screwdriver. Though LG itself (management) has been surprisingly co-operative about the issue, have been harassed a lot due to this stupid issue. For those who advice taking it to service center for this issue, it may be their idea of recreation, but it sure isn't mine (assuming that they can fix it in the 1st place!).

Anyway, my handset has Nov. 2010 as manuf. date. Its hadly seen much dust, and even had the stickers holding the buttons in place, but yet dust accumulation could clearly be seen under sunlight.

As per the management, handsets bearing newer serial nos. have this issue fixed. So I am very surprised see here that people are facing issues with Feb. manufactured handsets also. Maybe they are just taking us for a rather unpleasant ride.

Its a shame that LG have produced what is perhaps a phone with the best specifications in this price braket at the moment, but they have ruined it with such a stupid defect.

Would not recommend this phone to anyone unless there are credible reports that LG has fixed this issue. Unfortunately, depending on your environment, it takes time for the dust to accumulate, so we may know only after weeks/months... :-[

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

@Makjack, please do mention manufacturing date. Depending on your environment, dust build up happens over time. Also you need to see it in sunlight with the brightness turned up. If dust is significant, it may be visible anyway. However, do check it properly, under sunlight in all angles, as it may give you an idea whether your phone chasis is allowing dust to enter. The problem will only worsen over time.

Back