LG Optimus One and the notorious Dust Problem...

ideaguy

Disciple
So i just lost my Samsung Galaxy S phone :'( ... had been using it for almost a year..
and sadly it was time to buy a new mobile..
Right now i dont really have a budget of more than 10K...so LG O1 was the logical choice..:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:
But that was until i decided to take a demo at Croma...when i took the handset in hand the first thing that i noticed was that the entire bottom end of the screen was filled with dust...i showed this to the rep..and he said that the piece is on display for last cpl of months..hence the dust...:bleh::bleh:
I was not happy about the answer..as we have all used phones for years..without any dust getting in the screen....so i decided to do some research....Here are the results as read on forums and elsewhere on the net...and from talking to users/sellers..

The problem seems to be because of a faulty Face-plate...which is not properly sealed...hence dust gets in from the gap between the buttons and the face-plate.
Some say that it also comes from the USB port..but thats a minority opinion.

Almost all original LG O1 have this problem in varying degrees.....it is also true in case of different variants of it across the globe...ppl from Malaysia to Greece are complaining abt the same thing.

The problem seems to be particularly more in NOV-2010 manufactured handsets.

In some countries LG replaces the phones or faulty face-plates free of cost.In India they are cleaning the phones and putting Sealing Tape on the underside to stop further dusting.

There is revised design now available in the market,apparently also in India...though i am yet to see one..
The problem is apparently solved in the new design.You can find out if you have the new design by looking at the position of the SD Card holder.The old design had the holder inside the back-panel, just besides the camera...while the new one has the holder on the left hand side of the phone..

Please share any more info that u have here...does anyone have the new design handset..is the problem really solved??
And if you have the dust problem...pls state the month&year of manufacture..so that we can have a database of problematic batches..

:):)

Manufacture Jan 2011, have the dust problem

Got it cleaned once, but it has resurfaced. Will visit the service center again for a better fix

I too have been using the O1 from 1st week of Jan 2011, donno the manufacture date. Not just me, my colleagues who also brought O1 under some discount offer given by our company have the same issue of dust.

LG India's FB page mentions some guy got the faceplate replaced, will enquire in the service center this weekend and update the thread

If the dust is passing thru the buttons......i think the lamination of the full front side wud help......if not that a mobile pouch wud help too.......

I have had 3 mobiles from diff manufacturer and all of them had the dust accumulation problem.........is that a big deal??

AFAIK...the LG service centers offers a jugaad solution...they apply a Scotch Tape patch on the under-side of the buttons and apply some sealing glue near the micro USB port

of the phone....this seems to stop any more dust from getting in....but some ppl are complaining that this is not a good solution..:p

In some other countries LG is changing the front face-plate completely....but not in India.. :(

There is no permanant solution to this problem.....just be careful and buy new stock....

I plan to visit a cpl of service centers in mumbai with a problematic O1 in the next two days.....i will post my experience here ASAP.. :D

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

sensatul said:
If the dust is passing thru the buttons......i think the lamination of the full front side wud help......if not that a mobile pouch wud help too.......

I have had 3 mobiles from diff manufacturer and all of them had the dust accumulation problem.........is that a big deal??
The mobile pouch does not help much apparently.......and which 3 mobiles are u talking of....any good mobile sld not get any dust in for years.

ideaguy said:
The mobile pouch does not help much apparently.......and which 3 mobiles are u talking of....any good mobile sld not get any dust in for years.
Nokia 6600,LG( dont remember the model), SE w710( The outer screen) and my current SE c510 too has some dust inside the screen.....

All of them cudnt be faulty......

But, as so many ppl on TE own O1......very few of them reported the problem........i think they all have got the newer model(jan2011) or they r too cool to report it on forum....

Now ordering O1 from letsbuy (Dont have ne options in this price range :( )..........hope i get the newer design....

Wish me luck guys

sensatul said:
Nokia 6600,LG( dont remember the model), SE w710( The outer screen) and my current SE c510 too has some dust inside the screen.....

All of them cudnt be faulty......

But, as so many ppl on TE own O1......very few of them reported the problem........i think they all have got the newer model(jan2011) or they r too cool to report it on forum....

Now ordering O1 from letsbuy (Dont have ne options in this price range :( )..........hope i get the newer design....

Wish me luck guys
I also previously owned 6600...didnt have any dust problem fortunately :D

Am also surprised at the fact..that the dust problem has not come up here...there are many indians at XDA complaining abt it...

and i confirm that at least the 2010 models have a big issue....two of my colleagues have very dusty phones...

I agree, there is no other phone in sub 10K segment worth buying......best of luck bro...pls keep us posted on which month/year

handset u got....and if u face any problem..

Got my O1 today......its the ICC world cup 2011 edition so came in a golden black box

Mfg date: feb2011

No new design...Mem card slot is still behind the cover...

So i m not going to take any chances will do the full front side lamination..

sensatul said:
Got my O1 today......its the ICC world cup 2011 edition so came in a golden black box

Mfg date: feb2010

No new design...Mem card slot is still behind the cover...

So i m not going to take any chances will do the full front side lamination..
Ha ha..Typo alert....i think you mean Feb 2011 not 2010... ;)

Just bought an LG p500 for my sister today. I owned a Orange San Francisco till recently. I used my orange SF for over 4 months and explored most of the moded roms/builds thoroughly. I guess I am in a much better position to judge these phones.

LG Optimus P500
Pros:-
[1] Good build quality -- much superior to Orange SF/dell xcd 35
[2] Better Sound quality/loudspeaker
[3] Faster CPU
[4] Much better performance compared to Orange SF and there is absolutely no lag at all
[5] Games play smoothly with no lag
[6] The camera is better than orange SF/Dell xcd 35
[7] Better battery life (1500 mAH battery)
[8] Better resale value compared to Dell XCD 35/Orange San francisco if you sell it at some mobile shop locally

Dell XCD 35
Pros:-
[1] Larger screen
[2] More custom roms

Bottomline: The LG Optimus P500 is a much better buy.

Ok After almost 10 days of use i can see some dust particles in the upper part of screen..

Thats disappointing coz i have done full front side lamination and i have no idea where the dust is coming from.....definitely its not only cumin from the buttons..

May be the 3.5 mm jack??

My phone is two weeks old and i can see few tiny dust particles towards the bottom part of my phone. this is a Feb 2011 model(letsbuy sent me an old model) which has the sd card slot near camera( i heard from few people that newer models have the sd card slot at the bottom)

So can someone throw light on how service center guys rectify this problem ? is it temporary or permenent ?

its not something that significant, but visiting the service center is a pain,so unless its permenent, i would like to wait longer.

Also LG, if you dont have any permanent solution, then i am sure your sales are going southward

Back