Laptop recommendation, CAD and Gaming, Budget 100k

blkrb0t

It's Nothing Personal
Skilled
I need to buy a Laptop soon and my budget is at max 100k. That's a lot of money, so I want to spend it wisely.

My main uses are CAD and Gaming. I had decided upon the ASUS G53JW, but it seems a bit dated now. I wanted to make sure I get the opinion of many experienced members here before I splurge all the money :p

The features I'm looking for are 15" FullHD resolution, powerful graphics, processor, good keyboard and look a bit stylish, but that's not a priority.

Which laptop would you recommend within that budget and matching close to those features?

A Macbook Pro or Dell XPS should be good at that budget. Wait for the newer Sandy-bridge Macbook or XPS to be launched. The XPS should launch on 29th March.

dont get macbook at all ! not at all for gaming !

wait till Q3 if you dont mind waiting and get AMD fusion llano Processors laptop , they have EPIC performance

No MacBook guys, I don't want to buy that, it has a horrible value for money. Till when should I wait for any major updates, any idea? If it's more than 2 months I can't.

Asia G53sw sandybridge refresh. Should fall easily within your budget. Been waiting for the xps range myself and the wait is getting very tiring now :|

^^ Waiting till Q3, are you serious ? Why wouldn't someone get a Sandy-bridge laptop instead ?

Talking about Mackbook Pro, here are the specs:

15-inch

2.2GHz quad-core

Intel Core i7

4GB 1333MHz

750GB 5400-rpm1

AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5

$2,199.00

Isn't HD 6750 great for gaming ? I am only not sure if it will fit OP's budget given Macs are priced much higher in India.

In that case, an XPS is the best bet.

hide0us said:
Asia G53sw sandybridge refresh. Should fall easily within your budget. Been waiting for the xps range myself and the wait is getting very tiring now :|
Never heard of that. Any idea when it'll be available in India, and also what about the new XPS lineup, when'll it be launched?

Oops. Should have been Asus and not Asia. As for the sw range, its already selling in US. No idea when its gonna hit the indian shores.

hide0us said:
Oops. Should have been Asus and not Asia. As for the sw range, its already selling in US. No idea when its gonna hit the indian shores.
Really like the design and specs of ASUS G series, how will be the XPS that is going to be released in comparison?

We will have to wait and see what gpu options dell brings in for its indian customers. Asus range seems to have topped out with the geforce 460 which is decent but aging.

The geforce 555 with a good SB cpu should be potent enough for your needs.

^^ GT-555M is supposed to come with the Lenovo Y570 models.

Dell Inspiron series will probably come up with 512MB HD 6470M ; 1GB HD 6630M & GT-525M choices

And the XPS series would come with 1GB GT-525M; 2GB GT-540M & 3GB GT-555M choices. Also 3d screens.

pauldmps said:
^^ GT-555M is supposed to come with the Lenovo Y570 models.

Dell Inspiron series will probably come up with 512MB HD 6470M ; 1GB HD 6630M & GT-525M choices

And the XPS series would come with 1GB GT-525M; 2GB GT-540M & 3GB GT-555M choices. Also 3d screens.
Any idea how much the one with GT-555M might cost? Will it fit within my 100k budget? I want a laptop which would not be left behind for at least 2 years.

All of them will fit in your budget. The high-end Lenovo Y570 should cost 60k with i7, 4GB RAM & 1GB GT-555M.

And just checked the Dell site, the Sandy bridge XPS are available now. You can configure one that suits you. Head Dell.co.in now!

pauldmps said:
All of them will fit in your budget. The high-end Lenovo Y570 should cost 60k with i7, 4GB RAM & 1GB GT-555M.

And just checked the Dell site, the Sandy bridge XPS are available now. You can configure one that suits you. Head Dell.co.in now!
The new processors are available finally but didn't find any option of GT-555M though, just GT-540M.

^^ They were available in the US site of Dell. I guess they won't provide it in India or will provide it later.

Why don't you call them up & ask ?

DarkAngel said:
XPS17 has GT555M.

XPS15 only GT540M. IINM this is the case with US too.
XPS17 seems to be unavailable on Dell India website.

And what about G53SW? Does this have the same GPU or a better one? There seem to be many versions out there, I'm confused.

The Asus G53Sw comes with 460M which is more powerful than 540M.

But it does not have a full hd screen, nor does the lenovo y570 or macbook pro 15 inch. So XPS 15 seems to be your only choice. The only other Full HD laptop you could get is the upcoming Sony Vaio CB17FG which comes with AMD 6630M GPU, Core i7 2620m, 4 gb ram, 640gb 7200 rpm hdd,HD webcam with EXMOR and 15.5 inch FHD. Expect MRP 69990.

Back