Is mumbai too expensive ?

Mukeshmeena

Disciple
Hi. Is mumbai too expensive if you get a govt quarter. ? Salary will be Like 55k including HRA. And if someone get govt quarters. Salary will be 48k..

Get government quarters. 48k is decent if you don't have to pay rent. Apart from housing, cost of everything else is comparable to other big cities of India. Transport can actually work out cheaper and Autos and Taxis mostly go by meter and trains are easily available for long distances. Metro network is also decent now and is expanding further in the next 2-3 years.

Eating out is a bit expensive. If you're into it, you'll have to select your restaurants carefully to avoid overspending.

Get government quarters. 48k is decent if you don't have to pay rent. Apart from housing, cost of everything else is comparable to other big cities of India. Transport can actually work out cheaper and Autos and Taxis mostly go by meter and trains are easily available for long distances. Metro network is also decent now and is expanding further in the next 2-3 years.

Eating out is a bit expensive. If you're into it, you'll have to select your restaurants carefully to avoid oveoverspending
Okay. So i can move. Means. And right now i will be living alone. After 3 years will be promoted and salary will be ~70k. So other than housing everything is good right.

Ha ha. Do you have other options?

Mumbai is crowded. Loving here is a constant struggle, especially if you're not rich. The city has its perks, but it costs you constant physical and mental stress to get those perks.

Roads are crowded, traffic everywhere. Most of the city is filthy, the cleaner parts are clean relative to rest of Mumbai, if you compare to Chennai/Bengaluru, you'll struggle to find cleanliness in the city outside of some posh neighbourhoods.

And with 45k, expect to make do, don't expect to live luxuriously. But that's true for all top cities. If you want a cook and/or maid, expect to pay anywhere between 2k to 7k depending on locality and services taken. Barber will cost ₹100 almost anywhere. Fruits and veggies are same as other cities.

People with family often live in far off suburbs and spend up to 4 hours daily on commute. You'll be saved from that if you take government quarters.

Ha ha. Do you have other options?

Mumbai is crowded. Loving here is a constant struggle, especially if you're not rich. The city has its perks, but it costs you constant physical and mental stress to get those perks.

Roads are crowded, traffic everywhere. Most of the city is filthy, the cleaner parts are clean relative to rest of Mumbai, if you compare to Chennai/Bengaluru, you'll struggle to find cleanliness in the city outside of some posh neighbourhoods.

And with 45k, expect to make do, don't expect to live luxuriously. But that's true for all top cities. If you want a cook and/or maid, expect to pay anywhere between 2k to 7k depending on locality and services taken. Barber will cost ₹100 almost anywhere. Fruits and veggies are same as other cities.

People with family often live in far off suburbs and spend up to 4 hours daily on commute. You'll be saved from that if you take government quarters.
I think kolkata and chennai are options. But I am already in kerala. But i am finding difficult to live in kerala. As its too far away from rajasthan. From mumbai to jaipur i can go once in a month. And i am not looking for southern options. As i want cook. Who can prepare chapati and curry. In kerala i am not able to find cooks who can cook some northern food.if i find they are asking half of my salary and place to live . So please guide me here. Chennai i don't want to go. So kolkata and Mumbai are options. From kolkata i can go in 24hrs to my home state. So connectivity in kolkata is good. But i don't know that language will be a issue there or not. As i Don't know bengali at all. And i don't know people speak hindi there or not. In kerala nobody speaks . And even rickshawalas don't understand all. And i am finding very difficult to live here. I work in income tax but i feel alone here. Whole department speaks malyalam. And they talk to me just whenever needed. I feel like nobody.

Last edited:
Kolkata is a better option imo.

This city is still cheaper than many metro cities.
Keeping domestic helper for just cooking should come out about Rs 2500 -3000 per month and they cook two times meal at once.

Even some top restaurants and posh areas are still reasonable if compared to Mumbai's posh areas and restaurants.

Traffic is bearable too most of the time(6-7 out of 10 days )
Plus transport options like metro , city bus , private bus , autos cover most of the city including but outskirts of the city.

Rest ofcourse see what works out best for you.

It's hard for me to be unbiased here. Kolkata is my hometown, I spent 4 years in Chennai and I absolutely adore the city, and I currently live in Mumbai. So I'll refrain from giving opinions.

Kolkata is overall cheaper than Mumbai. Maid and cook will also be cheaper. Travel to your home will be the only problem. But I guess in a couple years, you'll be able to afford flights.

Language is not an issue in Kolkata in general. Most people will speak Hindi and Bengali will br easy to learn, at least the basic level. However, I cannot say anything about what it will be like inside the office. But mind you, even in Mumbai, it's totally likely that people in office will speak Marathi and Marathi is no easier to understand for a Hindi speaker than Bengali.

Kolkata is a better option imo.

This city is still cheaper than many metro cities.
Keeping domestic helper for just cooking should come out about Rs 2500 -3000 per month and they cook two times meal at once.

Even some top restaurants and posh areas are still reasonable if compared to Mumbai's posh areas and restaurants.

Traffic is bearable too most of the time(6-7 out of 10 days )
Plus transport options like metro , city bus , private bus , autos cover most of the city including but outskirts of the city.

Rest ofcourse see what works out best for you.
Let's see. What do we find in city of joy. I was mainly confused between kolkata and mumbai.

kerala i am not able to find cooks who can cook some northern food.if i find they are asking half of my salary and place to live .
Whut! North-South scrimination in cuisine as well?
Whole department speaks malyalam. And they talk to me just whenever needed. I feel like nobody.
I think you can start being friends with some of your colleagues. Language shouldn't be that huge a barrier since anybody can use English.

The best time to be in Mumbai would be is during youths .Even if you get married in between back and forth to your hometown would be more manageable from Mumbai due to ample number of trains even buses .later on you can take an option to move to other cities save money good schools and start investing for your retirement.

Since you are in Kerala you are accustomed to heavy rains Mumbai is no different, be ready do sweat though. If you have a typical North Indian attitude of being in Hulk mode than drop it that doesn't work here. Check which quarters are available and how far your work place is and if you are in any of the government bank than don't come because i have seen one of the guy was allotted a quarter in navi Mumbai and was deputed to a bank branch in Virar :laughing: .Only thing i saw on his face was i want to go back home or out of Mumbai.

The best time to be in Mumbai would be is during youths .Even if you get married in between back and forth to your hometown would be more manageable from Mumbai due to ample number of trains even buses .later on you can take an option to move to other cities save money good schools and start investing for your retirement.

Since you are in Kerala you are accustomed to heavy rains Mumbai is no different, be ready do sweat though. If you have a typical North Indian attitude of being in Hulk mode than drop it that doesn't work here. Check which quarters are available and how far your work place is and if you are in any of the government bank than don't come because i have seen one of the guy was allotted a quarter in navi Mumbai and was deputed to a bank branch in Virar :laughing: .Only thing i saw on his face was i want to go back home or out of Mumbai.
R
Whut! North-South scrimination in cuisine as well?

I think you can start being friends with some of your colleagues. Language shouldn't be that huge a barrier since anybody can use English.
No. But here they also know hindi./english. But they don't want to speak english or hindi. Even our commissioner speaks malyalam in meetings. I was sitting there for 2.30 hrs. And i didn't even understand a thing.

R

No. But here they also know hindi./english. But they don't want to speak english or hindi. Even our commissioner speaks malyalam in meetings. I was sitting there for 2.30 hrs. And i didn't even understand a thing.
This might not go well with most people here but please note no offence intended ......I am just sharing my honest experience. One of my Friend from South-India , we were trekking in Ladakh and something related to languages came up and he told me does not try to help people who come and speak to him in Hindi at his native place and I was bit shocked to see this attitude. We were mostly communicating in English.

But one other friend from South India atleast does try to speak in Hindi when we are travelling together , this guy will not even make an effort even when he can talk Hindi a bit and understand. This was noted in Ladakh.

I can also tell you this living in Bengal you can easily get away without speaking a single word in Bengal. They do try to help if they can . Ofcourse knowing the local language is important.

he told me does not try to help people who come and speak to him in Hindi at his native place
While I agree this is an assholish thing to do, you have to realize that most of North Indians will also not be able to help someone if they spoke to them in Tamil/Telugu/Kannada/Malayalam.

You have to understand that South Indians can't learn a new language for the comfort of others. Do you ever think that people in Delhi should learn Tamil/Kannada to help people from South? No. But there's a default expectation that a north Indian travelling to South should be able to manage with Hindi. This attitude of Hindi speakers is the reason why so many Hindi speakers find it difficult in south.

I lived in Chennai for over 4 years and saw no evidence of language based discrimination like what people keep talking about. The only thing different was my attitude. I did not expect anyone to speak Hindi. If they did, great. I would first try talking in English or my broken Tamil (which I learnt in the first 2 years). If only the person in front offered to speak Hindi, would I speak Hindi. And I was surprised by how many people voluntarily offered to speak in Hindi when they realised I couldn't speak Tamil well.

Government offices are always like this. You can say you'll survive without Bengali in Kolkata. But I've worked in a government office in Bengal. Bengali was the only language heard or spoken unless something was being written down. Only formal written communication was in English.

While I agree this is an assholish thing to do, you have to realize that most of North Indians will also not be able to help someone if they spoke to them in Tamil/Telugu/Kannada/Malayalam.

You have to understand that South Indians can't learn a new language for the comfort of others. Do you ever think that people in Delhi should learn Tamil/Kannada to help people from South? No. But there's a default expectation that a north Indian travelling to South should be able to manage with Hindi. This attitude of Hindi speakers is the reason why so many Hindi speakers find it difficult in south.

I lived in Chennai for over 4 years and saw no evidence of language based discrimination like what people keep talking about. The only thing different was my attitude. I did not expect anyone to speak Hindi. If they did, great. I would first try talking in English or my broken Tamil (which I learnt in the first 2 years). If only the person in front offered to speak Hindi, would I speak Hindi. And I was surprised by how many people voluntarily offered to speak in Hindi when they realised I couldn't speak Tamil well.

Government offices are always like this. You can say you'll survive without Bengali in Kolkata. But I've worked in a government office in Bengal. Bengali was the only language heard or spoken unless something was being written down. Only formal written communication was in English.
I agree with what you are saying too.

I just was sharing my personal experiences both in Bengal and meeting many from South India people ....when @Mukeshmeena brought up the issue about " knowing and still not helping"

I also said knowing Bengali will help you for sure but something you can still get away with.

In Bengal govt. Office I have done many of my work without speaking Bengali at all.

I think kolkata and chennai are options. But I am already in kerala. But i am finding difficult to live in kerala. As its too far away from rajasthan. From mumbai to jaipur i can go once in a month. And i am not looking for southern options. As i want cook. Who can prepare chapati and curry. In kerala i am not able to find cooks who can cook some northern food.if i find they are asking half of my salary and place to live . So please guide me here. Chennai i don't want to go. So kolkata and Mumbai are options. From kolkata i can go in 24hrs to my home state. So connectivity in kolkata is good. But i don't know that language will be a issue there or not. As i Don't know bengali at all. And i don't know people speak hindi there or not. In kerala nobody speaks . And even rickshawalas don't understand all. And i am finding very difficult to live here. I work in income tax but i feel alone here. Whole department speaks malyalam. And they talk to me just whenever needed. I feel like nobody.
I am a native of Kolkata, as well. I have also lived in Bengaluru/Mumbai over a span of 8+ years.

As others have mentioned, language is the easiest barrier to overcome in Kolkata. Other than Bengalis, the city has a thriving community of Anglo Indians, Chinese, Marwaris, Muslims, Gujaratis, etc. living in harmony (mostly). The majority of people understand and speak Hindi, rather fluently, and you will have zero issues getting about. Also, the city is still one of the few where you can get a hot hearty meal of dal-chawal + sabzi for under 50/-

It does come with its cons, like any other city, so do your research.

Last edited:
Come to Mumbai, you will get ALL INDIA food item here, even a road side dhaba/stall will offer you chapati/roti etc. North Indian food. From sweeper to collector every one know & speak Marathi/Hindi and understand Gujrati/Marwari etc. languages. Enjoy every festival of India here in Mumbai.

Last edited:
look don't get scared of Mumbai . The example that i gave was a punishment posting .Some of the quarters of government banks or PSU`s are in poshest area of Mumbai in juhu scheme etc some are in navi Mumbai Belapur spread allover .So if you have addresses of your quarters and office address people could chip in .try to get posting in the western part of Mumbai so you can board your home town trains without hassle.

i also observed one of young counterpart being extremely smart .He worked under a great manager as a junior learnt all the trade in his initial posting Mumbai regional office. He used to travel from Thane. during some meeting he heard about a certain branch name which was basically in thane or just 20 minute bike ride from his home but was considered a Rural Branch Since the bank had a rule that employee /officer has to spend few years in rural branch he asked his manager to put a word that during promotional transfer he wanted to move to thane region and to that to particular branch .All his wishes got granted . i did meet him few days a back and he said he really enjoyed it .His schedule 8 am breakfast at home 1 to 2 lunch and by 4pm tea at home ;)

This might not go well with most people here but please note no offence intended ......I am just sharing my honest experience. One of my Friend from South-India , we were trekking in Ladakh and something related to languages came up and he told me does not try to help people who come and speak to him in Hindi at his native place and I was bit shocked to see this attitude. We were mostly communicating in English.

But one other friend from South India atleast does try to speak in Hindi when we are travelling together , this guy will not even make an effort even when he can talk Hindi a bit and understand. This was noted in Ladakh.

I can also tell you this living in Bengal you can easily get away without speaking a single word in Bengal. They do try to help if they can . Ofcourse knowing the local language is important.
Yeah. They listen hindi songs. But all things they do in malyalam. I always speak in English and they know English very well. And i understand English well. But in official meeting. They should at least speak in english. Commissioner is a person who clears IRS. He know very well that few people in department are north indians. Still je chooses malyalam And they crack jokes in malyalam. And all i do is fake laugh. And whenever they needs my help. They will speak english to me. And whole day i feel like i am outsider. For example two malyalis are sitting there and i am sitting with them. They talk in malyalam. That's why i am leaving the department. I feel like outsider here.

Government offices are always like this. You can say you'll survive without Bengali in Kolkata. But I've worked in a government office in Bengal. Bengali was the only language heard or spoken unless something was being written down. Only formal written communication was in EnEnglish.
I also don't want or expect them to speak in hindi. But they know English very well. In important meetings they can choose to speak in english. which is a very common language for everyone (i.e malyalis and hindi speakers). They also know that hindi speaker's are not getting a sjngle thing still they chooses this.

Back