Ipad or Samsung Tab

If you want portability better get Galaxy Tab easy to carry than iPad. However if you are going to use it only at home and no portability then better get iPad, not iPad1 but get iPad2 itself and as you are not using it as portable better get the WiFi model itself.

iPad2 got sure awesome and 9x faster graphics, plus its more thinner and got DualCore A5 processor as of most of the tablets now, iOS got quality apps which can completely replace your PC. In case of funfactor too iPad2 it awesome and same with productivity.

I say no Galaxy Tab. IMO it is not worth the money.

Heck, even my $250 Nook Color far better than that !

did I tell you Nook Color dropped the sales of Tab ?

^

Exactly. I was also not too convinced about getting ipad but after getting and using it man i simply love it .

And tons of applications(they are quality applications) really make it best tablet .

ipad is fluid and fast but most imp the productivity of the device.....damm such quality apps there even with so many silly restrictions from apple with wifi etc it feels like the only tablet atm.....galaxy fells like a lil bit odd though if u have asked me abt the phones i would have said the galaxy s compared to the iphone.....but galaxy tab feels like an extended version....so my vote goes to the ipad no hesitation at all.

I am in love with apple products in general(have a 2010 mbp13",ipod touch 3rd gen 64gb,3gs and waiting for the 27"imac)and naturally bought the ipad (3g,16gigs one)exactly one month ago,impressed with the beautiful screen but it was not actually portable by any means.Also I am kinda grown out of that WOW!apple thing .

@o.p,if it is your first apple product,just buy the ipad.At just 24k it is worth it.BUT if you want something really portable which can slip into your trousers pockets(not jeans,mind it!)and can do almost everything the ipad can,tab just fits the bill.

And regarding apps,both have thousands and thousands of apps and >90%of them are just useless.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

vajm1234 said:
ipad is fluid and fast but most imp the productivity of the device.....damm such quality apps there even with so many silly restrictions from apple with wifi etc it feels like the only tablet atm.....galaxy fells like a lil bit odd though if u have asked me abt the phones i would have said the galaxy s compared to the iphone.....but galaxy tab feels like an extended version....so my vote goes to the ipad no hesitation at all.
Have you used either of them?Both are good,tab has equal fluidity and speed if you know how to use it.Tab definitely feels like a larger galaxyS and ipad feels like ipod touch and nothing is wrong with that.

As Pat has mentioned in earlier posts,the biggest difference between the two is portability.If 10"is portable enough for you ipad is yours,if you prefer something smaller then tab is just fine.

iPad all the way. Get iPad 2 if you can, else iPad will do.

JB it and its very customizable. Tons of apps is actually an understatement (Samsung has thousands of apps, apple has millions IIRC), you just won't run out of interesting apps. Build quality is excellent, unlike other tablets.

Someone mentioned GPS and ability to make calls on Samsung Tab, I'd say the screen is way too big for GPS (Considering you cant put it on a holder in a car, unless you will be integrating it into the dash) and as for calls, everyone has a phone, emergency or no emergency.

Browsing

iPad - No Flash Support, Avg HTML5 Support (i.e Poor HTML5 Interactivity support)
Galaxy Tab - Flash Support, Better HTML5 support and performance than iPad (This is judging from a HTML5 comparison that I personally did with a Galaxy S and iPad).

Movies

iPad - Large screen and better battery life, but poor aspect ratio for movies. No USB Mass storage mode for easily getting movies into the device.
Galaxy Tab - Slightly smaller screen, but 16:9 aspect better suited for movies. Also simple drag drop support for getting movies into the device.

E-Reading
No LCD is suitable for reading books for more than an hour without straining your eyes. If you are going to be reading for a longer time, then neither of these devices are suitable.

Frankly, for me, the only thing that came close to my expectations and requirements for a tablet was the Notion Ink ADAM, although even that fell short in a number of ways which is why I decided not to go for it even though I got an invite to buy it. Unless your requirements are meager and you are ready to compromise on functionality, there is no point in buying the first gen tablets.

red dragon said:
Have you used either of them?

I have used both of them, and if you say Tab is portable and can be kept in pocket, then you havent even seen it let alone use it. I have never seen any Tab owner carrying it in their pockets and not because they do not want to but because they cant.

Other than that, ofcourse Tab is lighter and when using it, its far more portable but since both the tablets cannot be carried in pocket, and you need a backpack or something to carry them, I will personally opt for Ipad

Edit : On 2nd thought, can you be confusing Tab with Dell streak??? Thats one tablet that can be uncomfortably carried around in pocket

Lord Nemesis said:
No LCD is suitable for reading books for more than an hour without straining your eyes. If you are going to be reading for a longer time, then neither of these devices are suitable.

No FUD please. I have Nook Color and daily I spend 5-6 hours reading novels on it. Only few get eye strain and not all.

avi said:
No FUD please. I have Nook Color and daily I spend 5-6 hours reading novels on it. Only few get eye strain and not all.
qft++, even I used to read for 3-4 hrs daily on iPad, but still while giving suggestion, it makes sense to not suggest normal tablets for reading books.

thebanik said:
I have used both of them, and if you say Tab is portable and can be kept in pocket, then you havent even seen it let alone use it. I have never seen any Tab owner carrying it in their pockets and not because they do not want to but because they cant.

Edit : On 2nd thought, can you be confusing Tab with Dell streak??? Thats one tablet that can be uncomfortably carried around in pocket

Dude,I carry it everyday in my apron pocket in hospital.I didnot say that you can carry it in jeans pockets,but it slips in my trousers` pocket without much difficulties(though it looks somewhat odd). You dont really need a backpack for a 7 inch device,a handbag is more than adequate(i keep mine in the stetho bag)

red dragon said:
Dude,I carry it everyday in my apron pocket in hospital.I didnot say that you can carry it in jeans pockets,but it slips in my trousers` pocket without much difficulties(though it looks somewhat odd). You dont really need a backpack for a 7 inch device,a handbag is more than adequate(i keep mine in the stetho bag)
Your trouser pocket has a 5inch mouth??? and its 7.5inch deep??? hard to believe....dunno how many others have that big pockets in their trousers atleast I dont.

And how many Men have you seen carrying a pouch or a handbag???

thebanik said:
qft++, even I used to read for 3-4 hrs daily on iPad, but still while giving suggestion, it makes sense to not suggest normal tablets for reading books.
I agree. Even I say Nook Color also not good for reading because of it's weight. But he was saying about LCDs in general.

For ebook readers - Nook or Kindle, all the way.

btw it is funny talking with you on both forums at same time :p

Back