Iniviting All Downloaders (No PC & laptop users)

@Praks

I read somewhere that openwrt had been tried and it worked. but IMHO, when u have debian or arclinux working well why demote or step down and try using ddwrt.

It's high time that I start using a greener alternative for downloading. :ashamed:

wishmaster.dj said:
rt n13u does JUST fine. it is just like any other. flashing isnt tough. you can do it. LOT of guides/ tutes/ forum resource out there..

I think I'll go with the Asus RT-N13U B1 and flash DD-WRT on it. But, DD-WRT Wiki says B1 is not yet supported. Why so? :S

dheerajjotwani said:
it is a good option yes but not the best. the router lacks native support for ext3 FS(linux FS) which leaves us to go around and run an externel script to mount the usb hdd everytime the router is booted. this, although works most but not all the time.

So, you're saying I won't be able to attach a 16GB FAT32 pen drive (or an external 500GB NTFS partitioned HDD) to this Asus router to download stuff? Is it that DD-WRT supports only ext3/ext4? I don't understand.

Also,

For torrent downloading: Transmission

For HTTP downloading: ?? - What app is included in DD-WRT for HTTP downloading?

Guys, I'm sorry for my n00b'ish questions, it's just that I wanna go green. :bleh:

Please help me out!

Could anyone confirm how good is the Asus RT-N16 for computer less torrent client. I read in some reviews that it only support a maximum of 6 seed files at a time. Though it has USB host. Is this a good out-of-the-box solution.

Anything else, competitively priced (ebay has them for 6.5K -- 7.7K). Looking for a solution, where maximum I would need to do a firmware upgrade and set up the router configuration pages.

iChaitanya said:
It's high time that I start using a greener alternative for downloading. :ashamed:
I think I'll go with the Asus RT-N13U B1 and flash DD-WRT on it. But, DD-WRT Wiki says B1 is not yet supported. Why so? :S
So, you're saying I won't be able to attach a 16GB FAT32 pen drive (or an external 500GB NTFS partitioned HDD) to this Asus router to download stuff? Is it that DD-WRT supports only ext3/ext4? I don't understand.

Also,
For torrent downloading: Transmission
For HTTP downloading: ?? - What app is included in DD-WRT for HTTP downloading?

Guys, I'm sorry for my n00b'ish questions, it's just that I wanna go green. :bleh:
Please help me out!
asus n13u b1 has ddwrt support. u can use fat32 or ntfs, however, best performance is achieved using ext3 FS. for direct download you can use PYLOAD.
asingh said:
Could anyone confirm how good is the Asus RT-N16 for computer less torrent client. I read in some reviews that it only support a maximum of 6 seed files at a time. Though it has USB host. Is this a good out-of-the-box solution.

Anything else, competitively priced (ebay has them for 6.5K -- 7.7K). Looking for a solution, where maximum I would need to do a firmware upgrade and set up the router configuration pages.
its a very good router. i would suggest, split and get a gigbit router and a goflex. much better setup in the same price. i can easily seed 20 torrents and download 4-6 torrents simultaneously with 4% CPU and 15% memory utilisation on the goflex. nothing works out of the box, you would have to labour over it slightly but its very very attainable and easily...

dheerajjotwani said:
asus n13u b1 has ddwrt support. u can use fat32 or ntfs, however, best performance is achieved using ext3 FS. for direct download you can use PYLOAD.

Thanks for confirming! I'll try Pyload & aria2 project for direct HTTP downloading. I guess Transmission works well for torrent downloading, so that won't be an issue.

I'll use ext3 instead of FAT32/NTFS for flash drive / external HDD. Makes sense.

Has anyone tried installing aria2 on Asus RT-N13U B1? I think it's possible to install and run this cool utility on the router.

Summary:

For torrent downloading: Transmission or aria2

For HTTP/FTP downloading: aria2

I suggest you people install this aria2 thingy on your routers and report back!

Who needs a download rig when the router itself can do the job? :eek:hyeah:

@Praks: Nice thread! This thread motivated me to go green. :ashamed:

Btw, I think I know you! :p

dheerajjotwani said:
its a very good router. i would suggest, split and get a gigbit router and a goflex. much better setup in the same price. i can easily seed 20 torrents and download 4-6 torrents simultaneously with 4% CPU and 15% memory utilisation on the goflex. nothing works out of the box, you would have to labour over it slightly but its very very attainable and easily...

Actually I do not understand what you are saying. Probably cause I am a noob. :)

You mentioned that the Asus router is good, but then to get gigbit and goflex. Goflex I got as being an external USB HDD. What is gigbit..? Is it a router similar to the Asus one I inquired about. How would I have CPU/memory usage when I am DL'ing via a router+HDD combination..?

thanks.........!

asingh said:
Actually I do not understand what you are saying. Probably cause I am a noob. :)

You mentioned that the Asus router is good, but then to get gigbit and goflex. Goflex I got as being an external USB HDD. What is gigbit..? Is it a router similar to the Asus one I inquired about. How would I have CPU/memory usage when I am DL'ing via a router+HDD combination..?

thanks.........!

my bad...

instead of spending 7k just on the router. i suggested you get a refurbished netgear wnr 3500l (from ebay.com) landing price around 3-3.5k. along with it you get seagate goflex net. not the hdd but the network enabled dock only. it should cost you around the price of the router.

i was talking about the processor on the goflex net. my transmission client runs on that and so the stats are off that.

i also see you have a pohd mini... why dont u use that itself for torrenting. its pretty capable

dheerajjotwani said:
my bad...

instead of spending 7k just on the router. i suggested you get a refurbished netgear wnr 3500l (from ebay.com) landing price around 3-3.5k. along with it you get seagate goflex net. not the hdd but the network enabled dock only. it should cost you around the price of the router.

i was talking about the processor on the goflex net. my transmission client runs on that and so the stats are off that.

i also see you have a pohd mini... why dont u use that itself for torrenting. its pretty capable

Oh....is it..! Shoot. Will research some links..via good old Google. If I hit a wall (probably will) -- then will bug you again..! Thanks. :)

Though if anyone knows, most welcome to share.

asingh said:
Oh....is it..! Shoot. Will research some links..via good old Google. If I hit a wall (probably will) -- then will bug you again..! Thanks. :)

Though if anyone knows, most welcome to share.

dont go that far... goto acryan forums. all your answers are in there

Most economic I have seen as of now is - Asus N13 U B1 with DD WRT - Support ext HDD too & download 3-4 torrents smoothly.

If you are media player junkie then Asus HD2 is good, You have media player & torrent download too.

Praks said:
Most economic I have seen as of now is - Asus N13 U B1 with DD WRT - Support ext HDD too & download 3-4 torrents smoothly.

If you are media player junkie then Asus HD2 is good, You have media player & torrent download too.

Any other option which supports 'n' numbers of torrents. Say at least 30-40 files at one time..?
dheerajjotwani said:
dont go that far... goto acryan forums. all your answers are in there

Asked on the AC Ryan forums. POHD Mini does not support BT clients. Now any other suggestion.

I want to thanks for all the guys for starting and posting reply to this thread as it helps a lot to peoples with a little knowledge of networking.

I am still confused what should i use, as all the things doesn't work out of the box. I have to decide between asus n13 or n16, please help

@asingh

Guess PogoPlug can do it, not sure, Dheeraj can confirm.

N13U is poor man's baby :) who can have WiFi & Download 2-3 torrents daily. Do you download 30-40 torrents in 1 time ?

You are right, POHD Mini does not support BT clients, Why not Asus HD2 ?

@lavii

Out of the box HD2 works, It has support for torrents but then not sure if its same crappy download master software of N13, Anyone with HD2 ?

I use my netbook for downloads. Cool and quiet.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Using the phone all night for downloads would affect its battery life, would it?

@nish_pinto

Take this logic, U download using 8 GB USB on router, Even if its spoiled u loose 8 GB of data, But due to continuous use of netbook, if HDD conks off, U loose 100+ GB of data ;)

Just download on 4/8 GB USB & move moves from USB to bigger HDD,

Less HDD use, more HDD life :)

Yes, If you use phone for whole night download, it will reduce batt life heavily.

I dont allow much of data stored on my netbook drives. I perform a backup of all the data as soon as it gets downloaded. And if trouble wants to come your way, it will come in any form. :p . For now, nothing is fool proof.

Praks said:
@nish_pinto

Take this logic, U download using 8 GB USB on router, Even if its spoiled u loose 8 GB of data, But due to continuous use of netbook, if HDD conks off, U loose 100+ GB of data ;)

Just download on 4/8 GB USB & move moves from USB to bigger HDD,

Less HDD use, more HDD life :)

Yes, If you use phone for whole night download, it will reduce batt life heavily.

How will you seed like this..?

Back