Car & Bike Indian Cabs Services Feedback Thread (Uber,Ola,Meru Etc)

RTA's need to step and regulate these app based taxis. Surge pricing is seriously a mess.
Uber is best at robbing from customers 3x normal fare even if there are 6-7 cabs in <1km radius, Same is the case with Ola 2x normal fare.
I wonder what we used to do when guys like Uber and Ola were not roaming on the roads a few years back ...

Because the way we speak (about surge pricing) it seems like we cannot live without them and there is nothing like municipal buses, taxis and auto available at our locations (cities primarily) as an alternative.

Hmmmm.

Edit: by the way I am not sure if anyone has really spent an hour or so on the Ola or Uber app to gauge what really happens during the "surge" timings.

Instead of raising ruckus and blaming the hoi polloi (and including me in it), a simple thing to shut me up and force me to tuck my tail between my legs would have been if you just said that you booked a Toyota Innova and yet the driver had issues accommodating 5 passengers (plus the driver).

(Let me give you a taste of your own medicine ;))
Where did you mention that the kid accompanying you was a "hand held" infant, who wouldn't take up an additional seat, and that is why you consider the driver to be an irritating 'tard.

Oh, all the more reason to say once again:
इस देश का कुछ नहीं हो सकता

:)
जय हिंद !

*The senior guy at OLA is a remarkable salesman, he knows that "the customer is always right".
I was sharing my experience, you are the one that came judging without even first confirming the facts and just assuming stuff. I am not going to write every reply here assuming it will be scrutinized by someone high handed like you.

Since you are such a great person, why dont you first answer the questions that I have already asked -

Did I mention what Car it was?
Did I mention the make or the model?
Then how did you come to the conclusion that it can hold only 5?
Where is it written that a hand held kid is counted as a person?
Why did the 19 others that we have used from OLA before this guy, never had a problem and were more than accommodating including the senior guy from OLA who agreed this guy was an aberration?
Why do you cast aspersions and assume stuff based on your imagination instead of reality?

I was sharing my experience, you are the one that came judging without even first confirming the facts and just assuming stuff. I am not going to write every reply here assuming it will be scrutinized by someone high handed like you.

Since you are such a great person, why dont you first answer the questions that I have already asked -

Did I mention what Car it was?
Did I mention the make or the model?
Then how did you come to the conclusion that it can hold only 5?
Where is it written that a hand held kid is counted as a person?
Why did the 19 others that we have used from OLA before this guy, never had a problem and were more than accommodating including the senior guy from OLA who agreed this guy was an aberration?
Why do you cast aspersions and assume stuff based on your imagination instead of reality?

If the car was a 5+ seater, what was the reason the driver was giving?

I have had overall good experiences with Uber. Only once it was a very bad experience. I live in Navi Mumbai and i was at international airport around 12 am midnight. I booked a Uber. It was showing 10 minutes for pickup. The driver called me and asked where i wanted to go. I told him pick me up first, upon that he said that he wont go beyond Mumbai. Navi Mumbai is too far from him. I told him that as i live in Navi Mumbai, i would be going to that place only. Upon that he refused to pick me up. All this conversations were happening on phone only. I told him that if he doesn't want to go to Navi Mumbai, then cancel the trip. Upon this he said that he cant cancel and i have to cancel from my end. Now i knew he was lying as if he cancels from his end he would end up losing some 100 bucks. And if i cancel from my end i will get charged 80 bucks. I told him that its him who doesn't want to go and not me, so he should cancel the trip.

Then he cut the phone & started the trip from around 1 km away, without picking me up and started driving in opposite direction. I got startled by this behavior and called him again. He didn't pick up. I had to end the trip at my end. I got charged around 120 bucks. I booked a Meru cab at airport and went home. Also in the mean time i tried searching for Uber customer care number. I didn't find any and found that there is only customer care email. I wrote and email to Uber stating the incident. They replied back in 5 minutes and immediately reimbursed the amount. They also stated that they will take action against the driver and also will be soon adding customer care number to call.

Apart from this all other instances have been pleasant with Uber. I have traveled around 15-20 times with uber till date in past one year. I generally prefer own vehicle for city rides.

I have had overall good experiences with Uber. Only once it was a very bad experience. I live in Navi Mumbai and i was at international airport around 12 am midnight. I booked a Uber. It was showing 10 minutes for pickup. The driver called me and asked where i wanted to go. I told him pick me up first, upon that he said that he wont go beyond Mumbai. Navi Mumbai is too far from him. I told him that as i live in Navi Mumbai, i would be going to that place only. Upon that he refused to pick me up. All this conversations were happening on phone only. I told him that if he doesn't want to go to Navi Mumbai, then cancel the trip. Upon this he said that he cant cancel and i have to cancel from my end. Now i knew he was lying as if he cancels from his end he would end up losing some 100 bucks. And if i cancel from my end i will get charged 80 bucks. I told him that its him who doesn't want to go and not me, so he should cancel the trip.

Then he cut the phone & started the trip from around 1 km away, without picking me up and started driving in opposite direction. I got startled by this behavior and called him again. He didn't pick up. I had to end the trip at my end. I got charged around 120 bucks. I booked a Meru cab at airport and went home. Also in the mean time i tried searching for Uber customer care number. I didn't find any and found that there is only customer care email. I wrote and email to Uber stating the incident. They replied back in 5 minutes and immediately reimbursed the amount. They also stated that they will take action against the driver and also will be soon adding customer care number to call.

Apart from this all other instances have been pleasant with Uber. I have traveled around 15-20 times with uber till date in past one year. I generally prefer own vehicle for city rides.
That's the only good thing about all these companies, there is a sane customer care.

Govt frames rules for cab aggregators like Ola, Uber
Guidelines says aggregators must not own or lease any vehicle, employ any drivers or represent themselves as a taxi service, unless also registered as a taxi operator

the aggregators must not own or lease any vehicle, employ any drivers or represent themselves as a taxi service, unless also registered as a taxi operator.

Taxi operators are to maintain a minimum fleet size, office space and parking space for all taxis, among other requirements.

http://www.livemint.com/Politics/hh...to-regulate-Uber-other-ridehailing-firms.html

so I had to go to Jammu, so booked a bus ticket from paytm and used a ola to get from gurgaon to red fort for bus. There was tons of traffic in between and a journey which takes normally like 45 mins, took 3.5hrs to reach. Now normally I pay around ~ 280 rs but this time, I got charged 780 rs for ola only and my bus ticket costed just 800. Is there anything i can do? I did pay 780 but I think i made a silly decision to go with ola or anyother cab service here, should have used metro. Can I get any money back here or this case is done?

so I had to go to Jammu, so booked a bus ticket from paytm and used a ola to get from gurgaon to red fort for bus. There was tons of traffic in between and a journey which takes normally like 45 mins, took 3.5hrs to reach. Now normally I pay around ~ 280 rs but this time, I got charged 780 rs for ola only and my bus ticket costed just 800. Is there anything i can do? I did pay 780 but I think i made a silly decision to go with ola or anyother cab service here, should have used metro. Can I get any money back here or this case is done?
Ola clearly states that there is a fare based on distance traveled PLUS there is a charge based on the duration. So I am not sure if there is even any question about getting the money back.

In my opinion, the policy makes sense.
The driver was ferrying you for the entire period of 3.5 hours whereas he could've done 2-3 different journeys in this same time (= covered 2-3 times the distance).
He would lose his earnings if he takes these jam packed routes, therefore he is being suitably compensated for it.

Even Uber apply the same charge of Rs1/min. It doesn't bother for small journeys but can take a toll on long journeys like yours. And yes, even though the Metro is crowded that would have been the best option in your case.

My experience with Uber is nil. Using Ola.

So far, great barring one. Recently booked a share cab, only to have it cancelled by the driver. initially he tried to mislead me by saying I have booked for one only, and that I should cancel, to which I called the customer care. After that , got both my micros upgraded to mini's. Ola is great.

When I was in HYD a month ago, Ola was of great help.

The only thing which I do not like the trip thing. Ola and Uber should remove the trip incentives and make it a combination of trip and km travelled. Both times, the drivers mentioned that going long distance was not a preferred thing for them, as they were paid 100 bucks per trip by the car owners, who get a fat incentive from the companies for completing 15+ trips a day.

My experience with Uber is nil. Using Ola.

So far, great barring one. Recently booked a share cab, only to have it cancelled by the driver. initially he tried to mislead me by saying I have booked for one only, and that I should cancel, to which I called the customer care. After that , got both my micros upgraded to mini's. Ola is great.

When I was in HYD a month ago, Ola was of great help.

The only thing which I do not like the trip thing. Ola and Uber should remove the trip incentives and make it a combination of trip and km travelled. Both times, the drivers mentioned that going long distance was not a preferred thing for them, as they were paid 100 bucks per trip by the car owners, who get a fat incentive from the companies for completing 15+ trips a day.
The trip based incentive keeps them honest in a different way. Local yellow cabs in Kolkata usually rigged their meters or took longer routes to get a bigger bill. Since the app based cabs have trip based incentives, they don't do the longer route thing as they know that they will be able to get a bigger bonus if they complete more trips.
But there are a few drivers who rip off by stopping the ride accidentally in the middle of the trip. This happened to me once in TaxiForSure ride via Ola app. But TFS app is more intelligent than these guys. Normally it does not allocate you a cab which is right next to you. It allocates you a cab which is quite some distance away (1-2Km). I am basing this on anecdotal evidence. And I have always booked TFS using Ola app. Not sure if Ola penalises TFS rides in some way so that people book Ola cabs instead of TFS

The trip based incentive keeps them honest in a different way. Local yellow cabs in Kolkata usually rigged their meters or took longer routes to get a bigger bill. Since the app based cabs have trip based incentives, they don't do the longer route thing as they know that they will be able to get a bigger bonus if they complete more trips.
But there are a few drivers who rip off by stopping the ride accidentally in the middle of the trip. This happened to me once in TaxiForSure ride via Ola app. But TFS app is more intelligent than these guys. Normally it does not allocate you a cab which is right next to you. It allocates you a cab which is quite some distance away (1-2Km). I am basing this on anecdotal evidence. And I have always booked TFS using Ola app. Not sure if Ola penalises TFS rides in some way so that people book Ola cabs instead of TFS

Good point.

Allocation of cab is automatic. Even in my case, there was a cab nearby, and empty, but I was allocated a cab 5 mins away.

I have tried Ola and Uber in Bangalore. What I found was Ola or their drivers were also is in the business of tampering/reporting incorrect kilometers. I constantly see them reporting 1-2 kms extra. My first ride had 3kms extra.

Comparatively, Uber is much fairer in number of kms. That said, finding Uber is a pain compared to Ola. And once by mistake I booked a shared Uber, the experience took me a ride through Bangalore. This in spite Uber saying other guys were to be dropped on the same way.

That said I think some of the warnings I had in my post on the first page is coming true. Though there were some people who were curious about regulations and laws while conveniently ignoring the large issue of luring people with incentives than putting up a proper business plan.

The surge pricing is a widely reported problem, drivers who were lured in by "trip bonuses" now get less bonuses and resort to old tactics like denying pickup to longer distances or fake trips.

Last edited:
Good point.

Allocation of cab is automatic. Even in my case, there was a cab nearby, and empty, but I was allocated a cab 5 mins away.
THey aren't allocated. When you ask for an Uber, the apps of the drivers get a notification to accept the trip. If they do, you are forwarded their details. So the guy closest to you might not be assigned if he doesnt accept the ride.

Denial after acceptance has become a norm. When I exit Cyber City GGN at office hours, first of all no cabs are available. Then after 3-4 refusals, one agrees to actually pick you up. They have started a CRN # system in OLA. The passenger has to give the last four digits of and SMS code, then only the cab trip starts. Some cabs have it, some do not. But soon all of OLA will. This way they cannot deduct from your soft wallet. I have only used OLA.

Yes when I was in Bangalore the guys used to accept ride, then on call ask where i want to go and then when you mentioned the place, they'd say saar i cant come cause my vehicle is punctured or some problem and will take 30 mins, you can cancel and get another.

Back