Increasing costs for GPRS packs

vivek.krishnan

BLR~ZRS-TX-1-MX
Skilled
Many of the telecom operators are increasing data rates for prepaid users.<br> <br>Just two days back Docomo increased the cost of 1GB pack for 30 days from 70 to 95. This is the second hike in past three months!<br><br>Others are either increasing rates or&nbsp;decreasing&nbsp;bandwidth or decreasing validity.<br>

Many of the telecom operators are increasing data rates for prepaid users.

Just two days back Docomo increased the cost of 1GB pack for 30 days from 70 to 95. This is the second hike in past three months!

Others are either increasing rates or decreasing bandwidth or decreasing validity.

Mods : Any reason for the way the text is displayed?

This is being done to promote 3G services. Most sufferers are the ones using low-end phones mainly for whatsapp and occasional internet browsing. Although there are no signs of the 3G tariffs coming down.

I'm using Vodafone postpaid and there has been no change in my tariff yet, Rs 99 for 2 GB of 2G data. Its another thing that I hardly use even 1 GB! :p

This is being done to promote 3G services. Most sufferers are the ones using low-end phones mainly for whatsapp and occasional internet browsing. Although there are no signs of the 3G tariffs coming down.

Maybe, but Docomo does not have 3G in Mumbai

I'm using Vodafone postpaid and there has been no change in my tariff yet, Rs 99 for 2 GB of 2G data. Its another thing that I hardly use even 1 GB! :p

Postpaid users are locked to the tariff once they start the plan, @pratikb told me the same. My usage is not even 500 MB.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too was using this rs 70 gprs pack .now I simply switched to mtnl . 99 @ 3g and 300 mb . In any case I did not use all the 1 gb on the slow 2g tata network. Bye bye tata data plan .I must mention here that I already had a dual sum phone and 2 different sim cards . One mtnl and one tata . Also 3g is dam fast man .

I too was using this rs 70 gprs pack .now I simply switched to mtnl . 99 @ 3g and 300 mb . In any case I did not use all the 1 gb on the slow 2g tata network. Bye bye tata data plan .I must mention here that I already had a dual sum phone and 2 different sim cards . One mtnl and one tata . Also 3g is dam fast man .

Where are you located, and how is MTNL's connectivity at 3G ?

Reliance GSM offers 500 MB data per month for Rs. 29 pack. For a Rs. 79 one, you get 500 MB every month for 3 months. This is with respect to Maharashtra & Goa circle.
As for other operators, the cost of GPRS packs is indeed on an upward swing for the past few months or so. First they cut the data limit (which nobody cares about considering the low average monthly usage of around 500MB on 2G) and now jacking up the rates. Also, by the looks of it, 3G seems to be doing really well at its current 1GB price-point of Rs. 250 bucks, so highly unlikely it will come down further in the immediate future.

Little off topic, Hike is not in data pack its in all packs for ex vodafone karnataka before if u recharge rs 32,10ps/ min v-v for 30 days now it is reduced to 15days and 89/- pack v-v 10ps/min for 90days is hiked to 148rs!!!

With Postpaid, tariffs never change once applied to some plan AFAIK.

Meanwhile Vodafone Prepaid done the same too. They kept the Amount same to 98/- but downgraded the Limit from 2GB to 1GB.

I have noticed the same for SMS Packs too. Previously 500 SMS / day for 80/-. After TRAI applied the Rule of 100SMS, they downgraded it to 100 SMS / day for 80/-.

Then TRAI increased the limit to 200 SMS / day. But Vodafone kept the plan unchanged and made 100 SMS chargable after first 100 SMS.

Recently I noticed 1100 SMS / month for 80/-.

^ I think as per TRAI there is a minimum period of 6 months for which the tariff is locked in and after which they are free to revise it.

Even SMS tariff has gone significantly high, Airtel Kerala used to charge Rs 44 for 3000 SMS valid for 30 days but has revised it now to Rs 44 for 600 SMS valid for 15 days! :(

I think the tariff of only 2G packs are increased, I'm still using the same package 449rs for 2gb 3G pack. Probably to promote 3/G operators are increasing the tariff.

Vodafone prepaid GPRS plan was Rs 99 for 1 GB and valid for 30 days. Last month they change it to Rs 99 for 650 mb valid for 30 days and this month the plan is again revised Rs 99 for 650 mb and valid for 21 days.
I am waiting for Reliance Infotel 4G services to start. I am sure all 3G services will have to reduce their tariff to compete.

3g is relatively cheap now if you compare to the older prices, and even more so when 2g data's price is increasing. If you have a modern smart phone, it's stupid to still use 2g IMO.

For example, Aircel is pretty cheap here in Calcutta, plus pseudo unlimited as well.

I use the monthly recharge of 500/501 of VF, mumbai it gives 500 (local + std) minutes, 500 (local + STD) sms and 500 mb 3G Data.

I had lot of trouble in 3G data while travelling, but after the switch to 3G it just zooms.

I wont say this is to promote anything or 3g but this is just standard practice, everyone is used to internet plans and mostly people have smartphone, so first they make people used to it and now they can charge whatever they feel like on basis and theory of their lack of revenue and costs

I have docomo, it used to be 4gb before for 95, now its just 1-1.5gb >.< Besides it rarely connects and disconnects every few minutes.

I have a postpaid vodafone, so i'l trash the docomo one. Any good offers on other operators? Im the the Mah&Goa circle, Nagpur.

2G data is becoming a big joke. Here in Odisha circle, TATA Docomo has increased its tarrif from 2.5GB for Rs99 to 1GB for 99. And 3GB for Rs. 250 :scared14: from 4GB for 149.

The biggest joke is played by Reliance which is offering 125MB for 99. Seriously ?

Best to get Aircel unlimited 500MB 3G+ Unlimited 2G for 128 or Vodafone unlimited 2G for 199.

Back