Htc desire v dual sim

Hi Mates,
Here is the First Review of a High End DUAL SIM device which I have used for 2 weeks now and Kudos to HTC for such a Fantastic Product.:yahoo::hail:

Introduction

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/3047/image263.jpg
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/7158/image275w.jpg

Since the invasion of DUAL SIM mobile I was always fascinated by them as I needed 1 Number for My G.F. and 1 Number for My Usual Use. But I didn't took the plunge as I wanted a reliable Brand. I started my love with Mobiles with a Tata Indicom Monochrome Mobile and then moved to Sony Ericsson T230, Nokia 6230, Nokia 3250, Nokia 6600, Nokia E63, Nokia 5770, Nokia 1100, Nokia C2-01, Nokia 3650, Nokia C-5, Nokia Asha 200, Nokia N8, Nokia Lumia 800, Nokia E72, Sony Ericsson Cedar, Motorola Defy, Nokia C6-01, Nokia C6, Nokia C2, Nokia C-1, Nokia 5030, Nokia 2700 Classic, Nokia 2323 classic, Nokia 1202, Nokia N79, Nokia 5800, Nokia N78, Nokia 5320, Nokia 5220, Nokia 5610......List is very Long so I would say that I have used almost all the Platforms till date or checked them out being a Gadget Freak:lol::bleh:

All this while Symbian and Nokia was above all for me till the Death of Symbian!:( After this I looked for alternatives but couldn't find any reliable one's as Android had just started to burst, iPhone was like selling my Bike and other brands didn't gave me peace of mind. The Day Nokia unveiled Nokia C1-00 DUAL SIM I started my journey with this feature and was happy with the basic functions but needed something from Smartphone side as I missed features that I had used badly. So after spending and researching a lot I had settled for Samsung Galaxy ACE DUOS but God listened to my Prayers and I got to know about HTC releasing something I had wished for so long. Not that SAMSUNG was a bad phone but this one Desire V had things that I thought of as a DREAM MOBILE!:) The moment it was launched I sold off my Samsung used for 2 days and I am still mesmerized with what I have bought. The long history I have provided is just to tell How Magnificent and Capable Phone HTC has launchned at a bit higher Price but still It's Worth It!!

Specifications:
General2G NetworkGSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - SIM 1
GSM 900 / 1800 / 1900 - SIM 2
3G NetworkHSDPA 900 / 2100 - SIM 1 only
Announced2012, June
StatusAvailable. Released 2012, June
BodyDimensions118.5 x 62.3 x 9.3 mm
Weight114 g
- Touch-sensitive controls
DisplayTypeCapacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
Size480 x 800 pixels, 4.0 inches (~233 ppi pixel density)
MultitouchYes
- HTC Sense UI v4.0
SoundAlert typesVibration, MP3, WAV ringtones
LoudspeakerYes
3.5mm jackYes
- Beats Audio sound enhancement
MemoryCard slotmicroSD, up to 32 GB
Internal4 GB storage (1 GB for USER), 512 MB RAM
DataGPRSYes
EDGEYes (SIM 1 only)
SpeedHSPA
WLANWi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi hotspot
BluetoothYes, v4.0 with A2DP
USBYes, microUSB v2.0
CameraPrimary5 MP, 2592Ñ…1944 pixels, autofocus, LED flash
FeaturesGeo-tagging
VideoYes
SecondaryNo
FeaturesOSAndroid OS, v4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
ChipsetQualcomm MSM7227A Snapdragon
CPU1 GHz Cortex-A5
GPUAdreno 200
SensorsAccelerometer, proximity, compass ( Compass not working properly as per testing with various apps Rest all good)
MessagingSMS (threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Email
BrowserHTML, Adobe Flash 11
RadioStereo FM radio with RDS
GPSYes, with A-GPS support
JavaYes, via Java MIDP emulator
ColorsBlack, White
- Dual SIM (dual stand-by)
- SNS integration
- Dropbox (25 GB storage)
- MP4/H.263/H.264/WMV player
- MP3/eAAC+/WMA/WAV player
- Google Search, Maps, Gmail,
YouTube, Calendar, Google Talk
- Organizer
- Document viewer
- Voice memo/dial
- Predictive text input
BatteryStandard battery, Li-Ion 1650 mAh

In the BOX:

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/8546/image276.jpg

In the Box You get the Beauty with standard things like Normal non Beats Headset, Charger, Manual, Data Cable cum Charging Cord. The 8 GB card is to be given by Retailer separately as the Retail Box just mention's to ask for your Free 8 GB Card.

Build Quality & Design:

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/843/image264q.jpg
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/4936/image277z.jpg
http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/8083/image265a.jpg
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/7504/image266b.jpg

The Moment this was unpacked in front of me by the Shopkeeper I was in awe of it. I bought the Black One and I was impressed to the core. I was still feeling that I was in Dreams but Yes this was reality and The Design simply Blew me Away.

Clean Curved Lines with rounded edges, a slightly raised chin, awesome looking screen and back panel with rubber coating so anti slip and easy to hold. Please check the Pics to see it in full Glory.

The bad Part Though is the back Panel which is flimsy and needs care to handle.

The SIM card slots are near the Camera Module and in between you have Memory Card slot so very simple and elegant design. Very user friendly I must admit.
On the Top is the Power/Lock Button + 3.5 mm jack, on the left microusb slot and on the Right Volume Control. The Power Button is too slim and takes some time to get used too. Below the Beaultiful 4" screen you will find 3 capacitive buttons which are a joy to use.

Overall Design: 10/10
Build: 9/10

Battery:

The 1650 mAh is good for 1.5 days and if sparingly used then upto 2.5 days. Heavy usage would still see you 1 day. For me above average as I am still in awe of Motorola Razr MAXX 3300 mAH which is like the benchmark for me!:happy26:

I am connected to my Google Accounts & Services 24x7, fb account, Calls for 1 hr thorughout, lots of text message, occasional web browsing, 1 hr of Beats Audio Bliss and rare Shots from the Camera.

Overall: 8/10

Music & FM Radio:

This part is very essential to me and beleive me with Beats Audio you would keep on listening to your favorite songs! With or Without Beats Audio this is a excellent Device to listen to Songs and be amazed by the Super Sound Quality. Sadly no EQ just the Option of SOund Enchancer On and OFF but the loudness, clarity, BASS, etc is excellent. FM Radio with RDS also works good but reception is just average.

Overall: 10/10

Web Browsing:

On the 4" 480*800 screen Browsing Web with Flash is simply Fluid. However the 512 MB RAM would show up lags for flash heavy Pages but overall the Standard Web Browser would keep you satishfied. Zooming and Text are flawless and pretty sharp. You get all the option to tweak but I have seen that Opera Mini is exceptionally Smooth so may be future Firmware's may address the Default web browser sluggishness once a while. And yeah it supports Adobe Flash 11 and not lite.

Overall: 9/10

Memory:

The User has 1 GB at his/her disposal and rest upto 32Gb. As for the bloatware yes it's there and no ways to remove it unless rooted. HTC please allow us to personalize this as many Apps are simply useless.

Overall: 8/10

DUAL SIM:

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5154/image274jb.jpg
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/1421/image269t.jpg

Now the best part. You have the option of selecting your preferred SIM that would be use for Data. SIM 1 supports 3G while SIM 2 supports EDGE which to me is perfect as both the slots supporting 3G doesn't make sense to me plus the Battery would take a major Beating. On my Phone I have simply enabled Call Forwarding that works like a charm so both my SIMs are active. In settings you can make changes in the DUAL SIM Manager option plus in mobile network you can make changes as per your liking for network selection etc. There is no SIM Switch Option but what HTC have developed is too user friendly. In SMS you have both the SIM's present so you can tap onto anyone and send text and same goes for calling. You have slot 1 and Slot 2 so select the number and press any of the slots and there you go. This type of arrangement is easy to learn and get used too but SIM switch option could have been better as in my SAMSUNG or a More better option found in Nokia DUAL SIM which I personally feel is the best. Call quality and reception aboslutely perfect no complaints and while any SIM in use the other one goes off but remains active due to call forwarding.

Display:

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/3666/image267j.jpg
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/6781/image268d.jpg

The display is pretty good with nice viewing angles and even under Direct Sunlight The Screen is visible perfectly well. The multi touch 4" display has 16 M Colors with 233ppi and in general is a pleasure to look at.

Overall: 10/10

Camera & Video Recording:

The 5 Mpx with autofocus and Flash is really good indoors and outdoors and has pretty much all the features and modes! The Snapper is very capable and I am simply impressed with the Speed at which it simply clicks and delivers the Photograph! HTC have done really well here. Sadly I havn't tested Video Recording till date but would Update it soon. I am simply happy as three things (Decent 5 Mpx, Autofocus, Flash) which are hard to get these days are built into this so for ocassional Shots I really prefer this one. The flash is very bright and capable plus the Autofocus helps me to get the shots correctly.

Software:

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/1348/image270.jpg
http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/7475/image271u.jpg
http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/9469/image272t.jpg
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/4046/image273g.jpg

It has the lastest Android ICS v4.0.3 with HTC Sense 4 so overall with the ICS I must say Android has grown and come Leaps and Bounds. The overall UI is smooth and slick but at times if more than 10 apps are open in background it would show slight lag but nothing to worry or deal breaker. The 1 Ghz Cortex A5 and Adreno 200 work very well to keep the experience snappy for daily use. All the Android Goodness is simply too good on this!

Extra's:

The Phone has GPS which again I haven't tried yet, WiFi Direct which I am unable to use due to lack of knowledge and no guidance, FM Radio that works well but reception is just average, Video Player that has a clean interface and works well, Bluetooth v4 which is good (don't know why GSMArena has listed it as v3), email, dropbox, Deep SNS integration and all bells and whistles which makes it a complete Handset!

Benchmarks:

Since this is my first Android v4 I am still unknown or naive at Benchmarking so please advise how to do it and which suites would help in giving you guys at TE a picture of the Handset's Performance.

Gaming:

Have played temple run and angry birds space till date and both worked super. Speed and Performance upto the Mark.

Overall I would list the Handset Pros and Cons below:

Pros:
1) DUAL SIM
2) 3G
3) WiFi b/g/n , Hotspot & WiFi Direct
4) Bluetooth v4
5) 4" 480*800 Display with 16M 233 ppi
6) Amazingly Designed and Slim
7) One HAnded Operation possible
8) Android v4.0.3 with HTC Sense v4
9) 1 GHz and 512 MB RAM
10) 5 Mpx with Flash and App preinstalled to use as Flash Light
11) Adobe Flash v11
12) Card slot with upto 32 GB Support and 8 GB free with Retail Box
13) Access to SIM Card Slot and Card Slot without Removing the BAttery (but no Hot Swap for SIM)
14) Smart dialing, voice dialing
15) HTCSense.com integration

16) HTC Portable Hotspot

17) Office document editor

18) Beats audio enhancements

19) GPS with A-GPS

20) Stereo FM radio with RDS
21) Accelerometer, proximity sensor and auto-brightness sensor
22) Standard 3.5 mm audio jack

23) USB Charging

Cons-
1) RAM could have been 1 GB (nipticking);)
2) Aderno GPU could have been better (nipticking);)
3) Battery Life could be better as MAXX is changed the way we look at Phone's Battery!:bleh:
4) Back Cover should have been better:annoyed:
5) For what reason Front Cam is absent I don't know! Its simply poor on HTC's PArt.:annoyed:

Overall I would Rate it 9/10 and for People looking at DUAL SIM this is it what we can call as a High End Smartphone with DUAL SIM and total VFM:hail: HTC take a bow for at least Launching something for a Price but covering all aspects of a Smartphone. I am eagerly awaiting response from other Manufacturer's as This one is a GAME CHANGER for people with Requirement of DUAL SIM. For Single SIM Users Sky is the Limit now. Whatever people say I am relieved and satisfied for at least 1 year or till the Time Something Better with all bell's and whistle's pops up! Till then This is the ULTIMATE and most SATISFYING Purchase I have made in my History Of a thing Called Mobile!

My TE Friends please do send in your comments so that I can make better Reviews and also understand different prespective of looking at Things! All the Feedback are welcome and highly Essential for me to learn a thing or teo about Phone Review!:)

Thanks & Regards,

UPDATE PEOPLE: HTC has indeed done a fabulous job of addressing most of the cons by Launching Desire SV which makes the best DUAL SIM Device for now. Please note following as I checked out HTC Desire X which shares it's internals with SV so hands on impressions as follows:

1) DUAL CORE Processing makes SENSE UI Butter (1 GHz Dual Core S4 Play)
2) Extra RAM ensures (768 MB)
3) Screen Size Increase (4.3")
4) Premium Design & Build
5) Micro SIM slot for both SIM's
6) 8 MPX Camera
7) Android 4.1 Update Promised
8) Price at 22k which is good considering what all we have at that price point.
9) User Accesible Battery

Please see and visit Phone Reviewing websites and see how HTC Desire X performs in Benchmarks! My hands on made me book 3 devices one for my dad, me and my friend!

Please check out the HTC Desire X for now and you will see how we as consumers benefit from HTC's decline. Man the company is hell bent to arrest the continuous decline in their Q Earning's! Great Time People! :) Hope every company sees a downfall as nowadays this is the only we see something innovative or good in the market!

As of now my personal Opinion over DUAL SIM Droids is as follows:
1) HTC Desire SV
2) HTC Desire V or VC
3) Samsung Galaxy S DUOS

Cheers People and Happy Buying!

While making a call does it take 15-20 secs for the call to connect? Cousin mentioned that its takes quite some time to connect after clicking on call...does it take so long with you as well?

Thanks bro, Damn, you will make me purchase Desire V :p
No Bro please wait don't buy it as I just checked the SAMSUNG one with same features and specs has a front cam for video calls so hold on please! and also check it out might be good competitor and may lead to some price war on both side's and you would end up the winner :)

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

Good Helpfull review, Well for me it is over priced

I agree it's over priced but unfortunately and fortunately this is the only high end current DUAL SIM device! May other player's join and we get some good handset's in DUAL as well as single SIM variety!

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

While making a call does it take 15-20 secs for the call to connect? Cousin mentioned that its takes quite some time to connect after clicking on call...does it take so long with you as well?
Well If I use my Aircel Connection it takes time to connect but if I use my Vodafone or Airtel SIM it takes normal time any phone takes so nothing phone related! I don't face any such problem's with the phone in short it happens with Operator

No Bro please wait don't buy it as I just checked the SAMSUNG one with same features and specs has a front cam for video calls so hold on please! and also check it out might be good competitor and may lead to some price war on both side's and you would end up the winner :)

Are you talking about Samsung Galaxy Ace Duos S6802 as best one ?

eh, This is still coming, not yet launched ?

Sounds better model then Samsung Galaxy Ace Duos S6802, right ? Whats approx price ?

I too am waiting for a good dual sim phone with front cam . Will buy the galaxy s duos the day it releases . BTW I have the micromax a80 dual sim phone with 3g video call . Phone ok but noo root support and very very low on memory . About 150 to 160 mb free with all the bloatware micromax has loaded .

@meet6600 Nice review. What i don't understand is that after writing such a good review u are selling this handset?

Reason i am asking is that i am looking for a dual sim handset but i dont like HTC Desire v "Ancient" cpu and graphics processor and i also don't like that it's not a "Dual Active" Phone.

Please enlighten me!!

Thanx

Last edited by a moderator:
Well had planned to sell it because of the fact that I don't need DUAL SIM now and if you remove that feature the specs don't justify the price as then it should be less than 15k. But unfortunately the features it offers are beyond compare at least in 10-20k bracket like 4" screen, flashlight, adobe flash support, removable battery, micro sd card support etc. In this range what I have seen is that Phones are there waiting to get ICS Officially or miss out on 1 thing or other. Samsung has released an alternative at a nice price 17900/- but its an identical copy of my phone with only one minor difference that is front VGA CAM but one thing that is bound to make it a bestseller is RAM is unconfirmed. Some sites report it to be 768 MB that is awesome but some 512 MB which is low. Now if the samsung one has 768 MB RAM it's the best DUAL SIM for now else it's a mere copy with a low price.

And Yeah @bbfreak please understand that right now technically it's not possible to have a true DUAL ACTIVE Phone as for that a phone has to have two GSM Radio's which would never make sense as Android with DUAL GSM Radio's would be impractical and battery life would be laughable. If you are into GSM+CDMA yes h/w wise it's possible but Manufacturer's have committed a big crime by allowing Broadband Speeds on CDMA & GPRS on GSM! Till now and practically speaking DUAL SIM Active in GSM + GSM is only possible by S/W Work around that many offer. Else you need a RAZR MAXX Battery plus your requirements and believe me the phone would never come below 30k!!

- - - Updated - - -

And I am keeping my Desire V for now as the feature's it already has are hard to find in 10-20k Single SIM Variety! Right now as a single sim device it lacks front cam that's it! Sony has DUAL Core's but same RAM, Low Battery, small screen size, non user accessible battery etc, Motorola Atrix 2 was good but now situation is different and other players do not have any thing good. So even if now I use it in Single SIM mode it's the best for now. Please enlighten me with any comparable single SIM Device for now under 20k and you would realize how good is this.

IMO these are over priced.
It would have been justified if it had at least MSM8225 and a good amount of ROM.
Unfortunately we don't have much options here.

@leomax the magic word is options! Well also understand that these are the only one's from reputed manufacture's and also Single SIM market has wider audience so can't complain much.:) In the limited DUAL SIM market at least HTC and Samsung have presented these two High End Products which had other wise options one would not consider putting money on! Agreed that they are overpriced but it's business for the companies so unless competition starts these are the options! For refernence Galaxy note's success led to a segment called phablet which every one is cashing on now. Hope more reputed manufacturer's join the DUAL SIM Smartphone Market and then we would see sensible pricing and awesome products. Till then Thank God we have these two!

yea,just another day in office for them.
If one can bear with the 'Look,Chinese phone!',Huawei U8825D,ZTE V970 are good options.

Checked Samsung Galaxy S Duos! Well indeed Pure Awesome! The small time I spent it showed amazing slickness and 768 MB RAM is God send! Plus JB Support! HTC Desire V at 20k is looking very poor now. Thanks Sammy mine is obsolete within 2 months!!:) And if HTC forgets JB then no good!

One imp point, HTC Desire V has 4 GB Int memory but it will allow you to use only 1 GB of it. God knows what HTC has installed that remaining 3 GB is not free.
Now you need to manage all your apps stuff in this 1 GB which is very very less.

Samsung Galaxy S Duos, you can use more then 3 GB of internal memory.

One imp point, HTC Desire V has 4 GB Int memory but it will allow you to use only 1 GB of it. God knows what HTC has installed that remaining 3 GB is not free.
Now you need to manage all your apps stuff in this 1 GB which is very very less.

Samsung Galaxy S Duos, you can use more then 3 GB of internal memory.

Hi Praks sorry for late reply but this is not at all an issue in HTC! :)
Reason is even though you are right that Sammy has more memory 2.2 GB out of box as internal HTC one has an option to move all applications to storage with one touch. My Friend has on Samsung Galaxy Note and constantly he faces this issue which even with an app is a pain to do and I was surprised to see that how poor is Touch WHiz UI of Sammy is as compared to HTC Sense.

- - - Updated - - -

HTC Sense UI is indeed far more advanced, Superior and User Friendly! But the con is a bit sluggishness here and there. Overall what I have seen by checking out both HTC & Samsung's Solutions its better to go with hTC as overall Sense UI & Build Quality of Desire V is miles better than what Samsung has to offer. Sure the Extra RAM and native Video Call support is handy but only for those who need it. Otherwise if you compare overall for now It's HTC as the best DUAL SIM Device.

- - - Updated - - -

Guys Please see the Updates as any one looking to buy new Mobile in DUAL SIM would benefit with information provided. As of now things do look brighter thanks to competition! For those who are confused between single core Samsung Galaxy S DUOS & HTC Desire V please note following points:

Advantages Samsung Galaxy S DUOS over HTC Desire V:

1) More RAM ensures smooth performance though single core processing would rear up it's ugly head.
2) Front CAM for those who need video calling (and not for those who just want it up there :) )
3) Micro SD Card on the side so easy swap.

Advantages HTC Desire V or VC over Samsung Galaxy S DUOS:
1) HTC Sense UI is miles ahead than Samsung Touch Whiz
2) Easy management of Storage Space built in no need of any apps like App2SD
3) Better Battery Backup
4) Premium & Solid Build
5) Beats Audio
6) Easier Implementation of Inserting SIM cards
7) HTC fast boot

For General use both devices would work great but if you are a little bit good on tech side HTC is better product. Also at current prices it's more of usage pattern that will help you decide! Happy Buying!

- - - Updated - - -

Also please note that Yesterday I was surprised to see that my HTC was able to accept SIM while it was powered on no reboots!! Hot Swap may be there which is a definite advantage again!

Back