How to stop oneself from visiting websites

chesss

Disciple
I waste a lot of time on certain websites, is there a way I can block myself from visiting these websites ? The obvious problem with this is , that since I am the one who is doing the blocking I know exactly how to unblock the websites . Its a peculiar problem (block oneself) .

2 possible way to go about this come to my mind:

1. setup some kind of system where a password is required to unblock the sites. The password being known to some family member. that way the sites would remain inaccessable to me.

2. ask the websites to ban my ip . But that won't help since one can always use a proxy

3. any other innovative way ???

I know I should have a stronger will power, but I have a major internet addiction problem. not joking here.

Could really do with some help here..

Thanks

Re: HOwto stop oneself from visiting websites

nevermind. I have decided to change my internet plan to a time restricted one...

Worst move ever lol. If you want to stop visiting these sites, just dont. Think of it. If you are not able to resist, go to IE options and in security, just mention those websites in the restricted zones and you were done

Limiting to a limited plan doesnt work :no:. You will end up visiting it anyways.

Are you Single? Male? Get a GF, unless u prefer a BF. You wont get any time for anything ever.

Re: Howto stop oneself from visiting websites

only goes to show you don't have enough will power. you can just think of those website to be useless for surfing or without having anything interesting in them and after few times of visiting those websites you will not feel like visiting them again.

why not signup for opendns and set content filtering to max. Blocks all social networking and other time wasting sites.

The best way to get rid of internet addiction is not boot the pc in the first place. Just pull the plug.

ultimabasher said:
If you are not able to resist, go to IE options and in security, just mention those websites in the restricted zones and you were done

THIS !!

10Thises

axeman said:
Are you Single? Male? Get a GF, unless u prefer a BF. You wont get any time for anything ever.

next thing you know, he is making a thread. "how to stop your gf from calling you" :)

Re: Howto stop oneself from visiting websites

6pack said:
only goes to show you don't have enough will power. you can just think of those website to be useless for surfing or without having anything interesting in them and after few times of visiting those websites you will not feel like visiting them again.

I think OP could not resist getting off from Pron Websites, nothing to do with Will power, its something else :rofl:

ultimabasher said:
Worst move ever lol. If you want to stop visiting these sites, just dont. Think of it. If you are not able to resist, go to IE options and in security, just mention those websites in the restricted zones and you were done

Limiting to a limited plan doesnt work :no:. You will end up visiting it anyways.

I don't think this is going to help as the OP has himself pointed that out in his original post.
chesss said:
The obvious problem with this is , that since I am the one who is doing the blocking I know exactly how to unblock the websites . Its a peculiar problem (block oneself) .

2 possible way to go about this come to my mind:

1. setup some kind of system where a password is required to unblock the sites. The password being known to some family member. that way the sites would remain inaccessable to me.

I think the first option mentioned by OP would work well. I think any addiction should be treated seriously. Rather than going for a time restricted plan I would suggest moving the PC to a common area and seeking help from your family where someone can monitor the time you spend browsing online.

I like the girlfriend idea :D , but ......
go to IE options and in security, just mention those websites in the restricted zones and you were done
dude... I can easily remove those websites from the restricted zone. Besides who uses IE anyway . Same thing with all other solutions, they all can be easily reversed .
Thanks for the responses.. and as I said my unlimited internet has to go. that seems like the only solution. A 20hr/month plan seems ideal, that way I can still use internet and not waste too much time on it.

^ that is actually a pretty good idea. Except I want to limit internet use and not computer use.
Maybe I can disassemble my modem/router instead ;)

No Nobel prize to guess what websites you are visiting. There is nothing wrong in it. But i guess your problem is that you are hooked to them. Only solution is to use that time in doing something else. Like read a novel. Help your mom in cooking, be a chauffeur for you dad, go out with friends, get a GF(dont get someone who keeps bugging you) or try doing something constructive. This is what i did.

No Nobel prize to guess what websites you are visiting.
its not porm :) , its sites like -> reddit.com , digg.com , youtube/other video sites. Also sometimes I would waste hours just on google hungrily searching for some movie/tv episode .

btw is there someone else here who feels addicted to the net ?

I used to be addicted a lot.
used to spend the whole day in front of the PC.
Realised what a big waste of time i had one.
The best thing is dont go near the PC.
Indulge urself with something else.
How much time do u spend to keep urself fit?
Try joining a gym or even better try yoga.
Hang out with friends.
try ur hands at cooking.
go watch a movie.
Call your friends.
Read a book.
Take walk in the park.

Analyse yourself and ask yourself the question.
What have you gained doing a certain activity?
Life will really change. :)

Back