How to stop oneself from visiting websites

nikrusty

Adept
Aug 4, 2005
Mumbai
I would recommend trying to control yourself is the best LONG TERM solution. But try not to suppress it. I know it will be difficult at first.

Here's the thing whenever you get the urge to stick a while longer, just check with yourself, is it really worthwhile? How much time have I spent on the comp already? Can I push it to another day within the time limit that I've set for myself?

1. Is to recognize the prob...which you have, so that's really good :)
2. Is to time limit yourself. Say after dinner, I will not be stuck to the PC. Will probably do something else. Preferably calming as you are going to sleep after that
3. Use the time limit as a way to prioritize yourself. I assume you are a student and therefore this question of what to do with Free time. Don't forget your studies bro. They are important.
4. In fact if you do find that you cannot curb time at the PC, then use that as a good tool to excel in your studies. Do research, read, find out. You can have all the time in the world to search for movies, episodes, games later. Time scheduling is the best way.
5. You are given a wonderful privilege to have a PC, with internet, good parents, etc...so don't abuse these things. Otherwise shit will hit the ceiling, ur privileges will be taken from you.
6.When you are doing research online towards more important things like studies and what's mentioned in point 7, turn off all distractions on the comp, like messengers, email notifications, etc.
7. One of the best books to understand life better from a householder's point of view and to appreciate where we are and how to look at things objectively is Swami Vivekanada's book on Karma Yoga. Very nice, simply written, damn cheap Rs.50 or so and a small pocket book at the same time. Here is the URL that has the complete book online to read (THE ENTIRE WORKS OF SWAMI VIVEKANANDA), I would recommend reading it in the actual book form as this will only increase your sticking for face tot the comp syndrome....lol. I read this book during college times and it had a profound impact on me. I'm re-reading it today and is giveing me new meaning as I've now matured from college days.

Hope this helps! :)

hA1d3R

Adept
Oct 1, 2008
u can subscribe to rss feeds of the websites u r interested in google reader....then u can allot 2-3 hrs for feed reading

chesss

Disciple
Mar 23, 2006
@nikrusty thanks for the detailed response, I'll look into your suggestions.
But one thing is final, my unlimited internet is going... switching to time limited net.

MHG

Adept
Dec 15, 2009
TheSmallerBang.wordpress.com
I used to be seriously addicted to the Internet. I used to throw tantrums each time the power went off.

But now I have learnt to use the Internet in a constructive way.

Try to give yourself credits for each time you used the net for something constructive. For example, try learning a new programming language (in my case it was linux).

Or start enjoying other things in life. Get active. Go on early morning jogs in tree covered areas. Trust me this helps a lot. You will start better appreciating everything's significance in life and spend your time in a better way.

Get some friends. Socialize.

Blocking is not the thing you should be looking at. It only treats the symptoms. You should target the root cause.