How much money is enough to retire at 30 ?

No one can answer this question better than you yourself. Because it all comes down to your lifestyle.
Also retiring at 30 isn't a good choice IMO. My dad just took VRS at 56 and he is already bored.
It all depends on how you want to spend the rest of your life.

Read 'The Lotus Eater' by Maughm. Your biggest fear should not be running out of money but losing the skills needed to earn a living.

Put down an estimate of how long do you think you will live, factor in the same for spouse if you're married/will marry, factor in different kinds of expenses (health, essentials, white goods, vacations, and others that influence lifestyle) and most importantly, if you have/plan to have kids.

After all this, use a long term inflation figure of 8% to see how much money you'll need.

If you're not some big shot born with a silver spoon, you'll most likely drop this idea of early retirement. Not because you can't do it but its awfully difficult to create that kind of corpus at that early an age, unless of course there is illegitimate money involved, you're one of those outliers who draw a crore-range income at a young age, or as said above, you're born rich and have a sizable inheritance to come.

Make about 3-4 crore and put it in bank @10-12% p/a interest. This will give you a sure shot 4lakh p/m income through interests. That will be more than enough to spend a decent lifestyle in India. Even a crore or two will be enough making 12-24lakh p/a income doing nothing which even a top MNC wont provide you with 8yr of work experience in the field of SE's or Management.

@30??? you must be joking.
Only some tata and ambani can think of that. Who has either invested hell lot of money somewhere or already has tons of that in his lockers.
People can their career in mid 40s and 50s and explore new opportunities.
If you ask me I'll never retire and would like to keep working until my last breath. Coz I seriously cant just sit idle.

For me I will only retire if I have my own house,car, my wife and a kid + guaranteed monthly income upto at least 60k or yearly 10lacs. With 5-6cr already into savings.

Make about 3-4 crore and put it in bank @10-12% p/a interest. This will give you a sure shot 4lakh p/m income through interests. That will be more than enough to spend a decent lifestyle in India. Even a crore or two will be enough making 12-24lakh p/a income doing nothing which even a top MNC wont provide you with 8yr of work experience in the field of SE's or Management.

++1

agree with harshit143 this one, I assume that by retiring your means - get rid of boring job and concentrate on things that you love and care.. Life without Karma is meaningless by that way - old saying goes well everytime

interesting question.
i would say 1 crore is enough. Assuming you don't intend to marry and raise a family.
1 crore in bank, will give you approx 60000 per month. Which is more than enough to cover for your daily expenses and also allow you to save enough to get health insurance, which is probably the only thing that will come in the way of enjoying your retirement.

Besides, ensuring that you retain most of the interest without losing 30% to tax will be a "job".

Dont marry. Stay single and free. There will be an additional outflow to satisfy natural urges, but in the long run it will work out to be cheaper (assuming you do find a girl of your dreams, who has also planned to retire early).

Estimate to own two houses outright. Live in one, rent the other one. Rent will always scale with cost of living, so guaranteed fixed income* there. (Unless your city is swallowed up by an earthquake or tsunami.)

*Not accounting for maintenance costs on the other house.

On a more serious note, do take a look at

https://www.reddit.com/r/financialindependence

Many of the strategies might not apply to India but there also a lot of paths to financial independence discussed.

Last edited:
Rental yields in India are a joke and will continue to be so. At around 1-3% even for metros, one surely cannot rely on rental income to keep their boats afloat. It is comfortably below rate of long term inflation.

At even a moderate 6% rate of inflation, 1 crore's value will be reduced to nearly half in 10 years.

It was a hypothetical question, not exactly related to my situation, harshit which bank gives 10 / 12% ?

There are sarkari banks giving 9-10% under various schemes. Even private banks like yesbank gives 7% p.a.

Secondly, fixed deposits are at 11% which can be invested in with spare money like a crore in FD and a crore in savings account.

As stated by swatkats, even 9% will make ~80k on a crore. At the end of about 7 years u will be left with atleast 1.3-1.5 crores(after all expenses and spendings) and guarantee increase in interest p/m, and it will multiply in same fashion.Till retirement age(65) there will be like an account with 20-30s of crore. Safest investment ever :)

Back