How much money is enough to retire at 30 ?

Numbers are irrelevant in that post. The concepts he talks about are relevant.

Yeah, thanks. Great insight there. I have 100 rupees today, they may be worth 100 crores tomorrow. Because "numbers are irrelevant."

I hope you realize that all retirement planning is based taking into account inflation and time value of money? Saying 1,00,00,000 today will be equivalent to 10,000 in 15 years is plain foolishness. FWIW, I am assuming that the annualized inflation rate for India will be 6-8% in the next 5-15 years.

Fire your retirement planner, or hire one.

^^ Yes, I know that the numbers are not proportional or in line with the inflation figures used for traditional retirement planning, but that is how things work. Value of money changes over time and certain things change in value more than others.

Assuming Inflation is going to be at same level as the average for past 50 years or so is absurd and planning retirement based on a constant inflation based on past data is no less absurd either. While the process of calculation is sane, you cannot predict the inflation figures or other factors that influence drastic changes. So this process of predicting future requirements based on current inflation figures is just as unscientific as my method of doing it using bloated ones and I would rather use bloated inflation figures.

1 Lac was a lot of money even 10~15 years back. Today, if you get hospitalized for a couple of days, poof goes your 1 Lac.
My earning per day today is roughly same as what my father used to earn per month by the time he retired (which means its 30 times higher) and I still don't live any differently than my dad 10~12 years back

Yeah, thanks. Great insight there. I have 100 rupees today, they may be worth 100 crores tomorrow. Because "numbers are irrelevant."

I hope you realize that all retirement planning is based taking into account inflation and time value of money? Saying 1,00,00,000 today will be equivalent to 10,000 in 15 years is plain foolishness. FWIW, I am assuming that the annualized inflation rate for India will be 6-8% in the next 5-15 years.

Fire your retirement planner, or hire one.

Funny how you quote just 'numbers are irrelevant' and not the complete sentence which was 'numbers are irrelevant in that post'.

I said numbers were irrelevant in his post as they didn't present an accurate picture. I think this is what you meant too, so the sarcasm in your post is strange. But again, the concepts in that post were very much relevant as I have learned in my interactions with people around me. Most are least bothered about inflation and scarily enough, believe it won't affect their plans. Bottomline is, it won't hurt to inflate your assumed inflation figure by a couple of notches just as a precaution.

Once you understand inflation, the numbers starts to make sense. I know this because one talks with friends about these things right. So this one instance, we got talking about same topic as the subject of this thread. Based on present expenses and expected lifespan, a friend's retirement corpus figure at his desired retirement age was around the 3-4 crore mark. He refused to believe that figure. This was classic denial, innumeracy, and inability to understand the impact of inflation. Upon explaining inflation, he started to see the gist of it. At the same time, when I showed him the monthly investments he'll need to make to create the above mentioned corpus at his desired retirement age, he was flabbergasted (in a good way). Assuming a long term return of 10-12% (this figure can be outrageously ambitious or outrageously cynical depending on whom you talk to), he needed to invest around 45% of his net monthly pay (current pay that is). This was compounding at work. So he neither understood inflation nor compounding (which also happens to be your best weapon against inflation). Numbers are indeed irrelevant till the time one understands these concepts.

Inflation and time value are two aspects of retirement planning, compounding of your investments is another. The latter is of great significance if one starts early. And for a realistic figure, 1 crore will probably be around 1/3 rd its present value after 15 years at about 6-8% inflation.

No one is arguing with what you are pointing out. And thanks for the advice but I probably won't need the services of a retirement planner (not at least now) as I believe it is very much a DIY job and a degree of pessimism/ultra-realism while doing so wouldn't harm me in any which way.

P.S. - Pessimism helps because inflation is a really unpredictable animal. One kind may affect you (hospitalization), while the other might not [assuming you don't have kids(education) or if you have a very frugal lifestyle (lifestyle expenses)].

Last edited:
^^ Exactly what I was trying to say myself.
You cannot really predict inflation and numerous other factors that may impact economy and cost of living in the future.
Even your best planning can end up have no meaning after some currently unpredictable future event like a war or a economic collapse.

The least you can do is to take some very pessimistic prediction of inflation 20~30% and plan based on that. There is no guarantee even that would suffice in the worst case scenarios, but it would at least help for at least a few of those less than optimal scenarios and its better than planning with the hope that the inflation would remain constant.

Personally, I find most of those retirement planning calculators with a 10~12% limit on the Inflation field to be absurd.

@eternoMind @Lord Nemesis I have heard a lot of people talking about the power of compounding and starting early. But the thing is that most deposits are time bound and max time of deposit is hardly 5 years. Only PPF has a time limit of 15 years. So those who talk about compounding, what exactly do they mean?

PPF can be extended after the minimum lock-in period of 15 years. I think it is in batches of 5 years.

That said, compounding can also be achieved when you renew those term deposits in addition to the interest generated by the said deposit. So its manual. You invest and again reinvest.

In terms of equity and more specifically mutual funds, you just make regular investments that suit you and let the corpus grow with time. You can do this for 5, 10, 20, 40, or even more years and the returns will compound. Of course, rate of returns will definitely not be linear with any instrument that is linked to equities (like MFs), which is all the more reason why you need to be invested for a long while in equity to reap the benefits of compounding.

In debt products like PPF or FDs, you can simply extend the term and also re-invest the interest earned. Thus, compounding will work.

I'd mentioned a source in one of the previous pages to get one started on the world of investments (more specifically equity). Here it is again, freefincal.com and subramoney.com.

The two sites are like chalk and cheese but underlying emphasis on equity investments is same in both.

Also, go through the following,

http://freefincal.com/compounded-annual-growth-rate-cagr-part-lump-sum-investing/
http://freefincal.com/can-i-plan-my-retirement-with-recurring-deposits-and-fixed-deposits/
http://freefincal.com/understanding-the-nature-of-stock-market-returns/
http://freefincal.com/a-step-by-step-guide-to-long-term-goal-based-investing-part-i/
http://freefincal.com/minimalist-portfolio-ideas-for-young-earners/
http://freefincal.com/young-earners-guide-to-mutual-fund-investing/[DOUBLEPOST=1452930972][/DOUBLEPOST]@hotshot05 another post you should read in addition to the outbound links within it.

Last edited:
Back