Hitman: Absolution - Discussion Thread

abhisheka

Recruit
Jun 10, 2012
Just got the game of the shelf i am pretty excited about the game.big fan of hitman.....but i dont know why its installing the game through steam when i have a disc with me its a big dilemma.

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
May 12, 2005
Bombay
ALPHA17: No worries bud! Looks like exams fevers all over the place. ;)

Black_Hawk: My honest apologies. Professional rank is the highest on 'Run for your Life' chapter. It seems the person that I asked, mis-communicated it to me. He later said Professional is the rank you get, which is equivalent of a shadow rating for that level. So if you're reading this, don't bust your chops on it. :ashamed:

Anyway, I re-tried the level over and over again. I have done all the challenges, except for suit only for Train Station. But each time I get hit with that damned bug where I board the train at Platform B. I even held down the instinct till the whole freakin' cut-scene ended (albeit it said out of instinct) and yet I got spotted. When do you exactly hit the instinct button?

Black_Hawk

Skilled
Aug 8, 2009
House Va'ruun
Ethan_Hunt: Aaaah... read your post right on time, I was about to start dawning the suit for 'Run For Your Life' again. Regarding the train station, I usually hide at the back of the platform where the train arrives. When the train rolls into the platform I walk amongst the crowd carefully as they walk slowly near the train and pause. I wait amongst the crowd for a bit, I allow the doors to open and wait till I know the doors will close any second and that's the point I crouch, press the instinct button and walk into the train and keep holding it (not letting the button go even once) and pray to God that white flash of doom doesn't occur. But I think I have managed it 2 times only out of the multiple tries that I had to do. Sordid bug!

Also, were you able to bag that piece of evidence at the station building? I seriously think on suit only you'll need to take out guards to get it, I doubt if at all distractions will work for that part.

So I'm onto 'Rosewood' then...

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
May 12, 2005
Bombay
Also, were you able to bag that piece of evidence at the station building? I seriously think on suit only you'll need to take out guards to get it, I doubt if at all distractions will work for that part.

I was able to grab the evidence by setting off the remote explosive, but making though the station in suit only is turning out to be a nuisance. Especially, when your every step practically triggers the detection sound. This level is really cheap. I'll probably complete it with a disguised form, if that bug doesn't continue to be a hindrance.

Black_Hawk

Skilled
Aug 8, 2009
House Va'ruun
Ethan_Hunt: Yes that's a bugged level man and I hear a bigger patch is incoming soon and will take care of it... read somewhere yesterday. Even with the cop-disguise on that last bit at the train station I had a nightmare of a time. I say just get a disguise and be done with the level. Later when the patch releases you can try it again mate.

Moving to my efforts for today with this game... I think I have the 'Rosewood' level pretty much covered with suit only approach, just have to figure out the last bit though because it's tricky and needs precise timing with no disguises on particularly. Silent Assassin rating is unattainable in this mission, meh.

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
May 12, 2005
Bombay
@Black_Hawk: Yep. I'm moving on for now. I have exhausted every possible option to get through the cut-scene un-noticed, but nothing seems to work. Heck, I even tried subduing the guard in the security camera room. People on YouTube said that the detection could be a triggered event from the cameras spotting you, at the end. It didn't work either. Heck, I went so far as to throwing my explosive on the tracks and detonating it to cause a distraction. Not only did that not work, but I killed a civilian in the process. F*ck this shit! I guess I'll wait for that patch. Hope it fixes up these shitty bugs. Most of all, the freakin' disguise system.

How tough is 'Hunter and Hunted'?

Last edited by a moderator:

Black_Hawk

Skilled
Aug 8, 2009
House Va'ruun
Ethan_Hunt: Yes waiting for the patch is the prudent thing. However the camera spotting you is very doubtful, it's the guards at the station for sure... maybe they are seeing through the train window as the train speeds by!

Aaah... welcome to Hunter and Hunted, this will be one huge level. Yes it's hard and on suit only... will keep you nice and jumpy evading guards. But it's not like the train station level with terrible guard placements. But I will say this... spend time, lots of it on this level getting a solid hang of the guard patterns and carry a bottle at all times for distractions. Don't be shy to use those cupboards for waiting on cops and hiding. Crucial that. You won't need to use instinct if you study the patrol routes for the cops before making your move. All the best mate... have fun at the Disco and watch those crackers go BOOM BOOM!! Looking forward to your stats mate! ;)

- - - Updated - - -
Ethan_Hunt: Hey forgot to mention something fun... don't forget to take a look at the sexy bartender at the Disco in the 'Hunter and Hunted' level, nice eye candy! ;)

OTOH, just saw this update and thought of adding it here:

Hitman: Absolution patch fixes negative level-scores, configuration issues

Hitman: Absolution has been given a patch on PC, which will auto-start once the player logs into Steam. The patch fixes issues seen on specific configurations which caused the game to not start up, and Sniper Challenge Unlocks not carrying over into the game, Once the patch is applied, the game will receive the unlocks. The patch also addresses the issue negative scoring, however, newly accomplished positive scores will be needed to erase the incorrectly remembered negatives. There’s more through the changelog over on Gamers Hell.

Source: http://www.vg247.com/2012/12/01/hit...s-negative-level-scores-configuration-issues/

Yes... what a dampener, nothing to fix the train station bug!! :no2:

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
May 12, 2005
Bombay
@Black_Hawk: Tips on the Courtyard part please. It seems like a fairly small area, but heavily patrolled. I got to the part where I could grab the evidence, but not sure which route to take after that, as I always get spotted.

Black_Hawk

Skilled
Aug 8, 2009
House Va'ruun
Ethan_Hunt: Yes it is heavily patrolled indeed! To begin with snag a bottle when you see one (always pick one up in your inventory!).

So here's what will take you to the exit door to the next part:

Okay... you enter the courtyard and you use a long staircase to do so. There is a guard who comes down that said staircase to take a smoke in the room below. If you have not pacified him (I'm guessing you won't) then you need to be extra careful. Wait for him to come down the stairs, finish his smoke and when he walks back follow him back. As you go up notice a couple of trash cans. Get cover behind them. If you don't there might be a guard with a shot- gun right next to those cans and he will see you. The smoke-break guard will walk straight away. Now, change fast cover and Agent 47 will auto-change cover and get behind a cop car to the left of the trashcans. Now stick to that car. 2 guards will walk towards the said car, one from the front and one from the left. The left guard has a shotgun and the front might shine his flashlight. They won't see you as your on the other side of the car and sticking to cover. Now here is where the timing and fun begins...

Notice that the shotgun guard will walk away to the upper-left to an open alleyway of sorts and the front guard walks away to the immediate left of where you are. That's your window to quickly go to the cop car with the evidence up ahead. Nab the evidence, round the car to the left and stick to it. Note that there are 2 more guards up ahead to the right. Both have flashlights. One stands guard to a stairwell leading down and the other patrols near a box to the right end of the yard. You need to get past that standing guard to access that stairwell which leads down to the exit. There are 2 things that you can do here:

I. This one works 80% of the time but you need to kick the instinct mode with proper timing. So your behind that evidence car, throw a bottle to the right of the stairwell guards. Wait a tad bit and that guard will move to investigate (but he won't move much though). Walk towards the stairwell and when your near this stairwell guard hit the instinct button and walk down the staircase smoothly and turn left as quickly as you can. There's the door to the next part!

II. This is when that above strategy isn't working or you don't want to use instinct. So, your behind that evidence car. Now notice that left open alleyway guard? When he walks to the front section again (that is towards where you started the courtyard map) throw a bottle to the standing stairwell and patrolling guard to the right of the map. This will alert those 2 guards and they will begin to investigate the source of the noise. That's your window. Quickly, from that evidence car fast change cover to the cop car to the left then detach from cover and crouch-walk down the open alleyway to the left-end of the courtyard (the patrolling guard here has walked to the front of the courtyard now but he will return soon so don't linger too long in this open alleyway or he will spot you!). When you reach the left end of the courtyard you will see a place on the right you can drop down to. Do so quickly. Once you drop down... there's the exit door to the next part (and opposite to where you dropped down is the the staircase which you can use in the first strategy!).

Good luck mate, let me know how it went. :)

Black_Hawk

Skilled
Aug 8, 2009
House Va'ruun
Awrite, so returned home from office today, took a wash and immersed myself into this game again, addicted now really! Completed 2 more missions. Had the last part of the mission to figure out in 'Rosewood' in suit only approach and the the second mission I did 'Welcome to Hope' was a cinch really.

Here are the stats:

Rosewood (Purist Difficulty, Suit Only, No Pacifications):

Orphanage Halls:

hma2012120116395660.jpg

Central Heating:

hma2012120116401531.jpg

This mission was a real tease with a cat and mouse game as regards to avoiding all the thugs present in the level! Once I got my timing right (which was after many -a-tries) and stuck to cover well things got moving in a good direction. The last part though in the central heating area was very tricky with very little room for error. I think on purist difficulty the main drawback is the game doesn't end up giving you a thread of a hint... it just leaves you to figure out everything on your own so it just makes your gameplay blindfolded to begin with but with some tries you tend to get the hang of things. Once again, Silent Assassin rating is unavailable here and Shadow is the highest rank you can get.

Welcome to Hope (Purist Difficulty, Suit Only, No Pacifications):

Great Balls of Fire:

hma2012120116585998.jpg

This mission was a cinch, the shortest thus far. Fair and square. Yet again... no Silent Assassin rating available here (since no targets to eliminate) and Shadow is the highest rank you can get.

Next up I will be re-doing 'King of Chinatown' on suit only approach and also going onto the next mission 'Birdie's Gift'. :)

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
May 12, 2005
Bombay
Ethan_Hunt: Yes it is heavily patrolled indeed! To begin with snag a bottle when you see one (always pick one up in your inventory!).

So here's what will take you to the exit door to the next part:

Okay... you enter the courtyard and you use a long staircase to do so. There is a guard who comes down that said staircase to take a smoke in the room below. If you have not pacified him (I'm guessing you won't) then you need to be extra careful. Wait for him to come down the stairs, finish his smoke and when he walks back follow him back. As you go up notice a couple of trash cans. Get cover behind them. If you don't there might be a guard with a shot- gun right next to those cans and he will see you. The smoke-break guard will walk straight away. Now, change fast cover and Agent 47 will auto-change cover and get behind a cop car to the left of the trashcans. Now stick to that car. 2 guards will walk towards the said car, one from the front and one from the left. The left guard has a shotgun and the front might shine his flashlight. They won't see you as your on the other side of the car and sticking to cover. Now here is where the timing and fun begins...

Notice that the shotgun guard will walk away to the upper-left to an open alleyway of sorts and the front guard walks away to the immediate left of where you are. That's your window to quickly go to the cop car with the evidence up ahead. Nab the evidence, round the car to the left and stick to it. Note that there are 2 more guards up ahead to the right. Both have flashlights. One stands guard to a stairwell leading down and the other patrols near a box to the right end of the yard. You need to get past that standing guard to access that stairwell which leads down to the exit. There are 2 things that you can do here:

I. This one works 80% of the time but you need to kick the instinct mode with proper timing. So your behind that evidence car, throw a bottle to the right of the stairwell guards. Wait a tad bit and that guard will move to investigate (but he won't move much though). Walk towards the stairwell and when your near this stairwell guard hit the instinct button and walk down the staircase smoothly and turn left as quickly as you can. There's the door to the next part!

II. This is when that above strategy isn't working or you don't want to use instinct. So, your behind that evidence car. Now notice that left open alleyway guard? When he walks to the front section again (that is towards where you started the courtyard map) throw a bottle to the standing stairwell and patrolling guard to the right of the map. This will alert those 2 guards and they will begin to investigate the source of the noise. That's your window. Quickly, from that evidence car fast change cover to the cop car to the left then detach from cover and crouch-walk down the open alleyway to the left-end of the courtyard (the patrolling guard here has walked to the front of the courtyard now but he will return soon so don't linger too long in this open alleyway or he will spot you!). When you reach the left end of the courtyard you will see a place on the right you can drop down to. Do so quickly. Once you drop down... there's the exit door to the next part (and opposite to where you dropped down is the the staircase which you can use in the first strategy!).

Good luck mate, let me know how it went. :)

I'll go with the second strategy. Going in now. Wish me luck! :p

Looks like you're on a roll now. Keep up the good work man. You're definitely a master at stealth games. It would have been good to see you have a go at Metal Gear Solid 4. :)

Black_Hawk

Skilled
Aug 8, 2009
House Va'ruun
I'll go with the second strategy. Going in now. Wish me luck! :p

Looks like you're on a roll now. Keep up the good work man. You're definitely a master at stealth games. It would have been good to see you have a go at Metal Gear Solid 4. :)

First off... all the best for 'Hunter and Hunted' mate! :)

Thank-you sire for the appreciation! I really love stealth games, back from the days from Thief and Splinter Cell. God knows how many times I have re-played them just to get that perfect run! I don't have a PS3 (I'm horrible with a controller!) but trust me I have always itched to play that game. Had played the first MGS title on my PC years ago though, loved it.

EDIT: Once you complete 'Hunter and the Hunted' entirely I would really like to know how you eliminated all the targets on that level.

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
May 12, 2005
Bombay
Hokay! Cleared the Courtyard with no detection and with evidence being secured. I can now complete that part in 5 minutes flat. Ran into yet another bug. I completed the courtyard level last night and played a good part of the Vixen Club, but didn't complete it. This morning I re-load the Vixen club checkpoint and I have a cops uniform on with a gasoline can in my inventory. WTF? I didn't have any of these on. Ergo, I was forced to re-start the level. :(

I'm completing the challenges too, so I managed to complete the Vixen club, but with one pacification. I'll replay it to complete the other challenges too. The level design is absolutely brilliant. I have practically eavesdropped on everyone's conversations. It's amazing how much detail you can find in them. For example; from all guards and strippers conversations, we have a certified opinion of Dom being an asshole. Well, it's not much of a news, as he acts the part too, but just listening to their conversations is really interesting. I wonder what the Hawaii thing was all about. Everyone constantly kept talking about it.

Anyway, I'll continue tonight and see how it goes. :D

Black_Hawk

Skilled
Aug 8, 2009
House Va'ruun
@Ethan_Hunt: Did you find the memorial site for all the women who have been killed by the "Hawaii Killer" in the courtyard part?

Here is a screenshot I took of it:
hma2012120411255495.jpg

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
May 12, 2005
Bombay
Did you find the memorial site for all the women who have been killed by the "Hawaii Killer" in the courtyard part?

I did indeed that when I was going through the courtyard. However, I did understand that there were people who went missing, but couldn't realte to it. I guess it all make sense now. So you think Dom and Dexter were in on this?

Black_Hawk

Skilled
Aug 8, 2009
House Va'ruun
I did indeed that when I was going through the courtyard. However, I did understand that there were people who went missing, but couldn't realte to it. I guess it all make sense now. So you think Dom and Dexter were in on this?

Yes I indeed do! Infact it's explained much better here:

Osmond forces the women who work at his club into prostitution and is implied to keep them in check with threats of violence. When one of them really defies him, Osmond kills them by raping and strangling them. He refers to it as "sending them to Hawaii", a reference to the tropic wallpaper in the room where he binds them.

Source: http://hitman.wikia.com/wiki/Dom_Osmond

It'll make more sense once you complete this mission and the ensuing cutscene follows mate.

ubergeek: I guess it should run the game on medium smoothly.

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
May 12, 2005
Bombay
@Black_Hawk: I'm currently stuck at the Derelict building part. I get to the section where I can grab the evidence and sneak into the locker right up ahead. But the problem is, there are 2 guards patrolling that area. I can peek safely and see just one of them and the second one is left on my judgement call. How do you move past this point?

Black_Hawk

Skilled
Aug 8, 2009
House Va'ruun
Ethan_Hunt: Okay mate this part is going to be tricky and you'll need to get the timing spot on. First walk through the corridor, after picking up the evidence, pick up the bottle lying in that corridor and get into that closet and take a peek outside. Now... you'll notice that one guard comes down the stairs with a flashlight turns around and begins to investigate. He will shine his flashlight on the left wall with a straight beam... concentrate now. When he turns from the staircase to his left and shines the flashlight on the wall directly with that straight beam... that is also the moment that another guards is patrolling the corridor and his then present position is right infront of the closet your in! You won't be able to see this patrolling guard due to the cramped angle of peeking, but he's there trust me! Give that corridor guard 3-4 seconds and he will walk away (count 1-4 in your mind) and get out of the closet. Keep it quiet. Look at that flashlight guard now, he has walked to a cramped corner on the right of the stairwell casting his flashlight in that cramped corner (with some cardboard boxes lying around). Also note that a shotgun carrying guard is also present on the first landing of the staircase above your position. When that shotgun carrying guard starts climbing the second staircase above, equip and throw the bottle ahead of the flashlight guard who is still searching the cramped corner ahead and to the right of you.

This does 2 things actually:

1. Diverts the attention of the flashlight guard and makes him walk further towards the dark cramped space near the staircase and makes him stay there longer.

2. Also... this will catch the attention of the shotgun guard above and he will come down from the second floor, turn around and face the wall of the first landing.

That's your short window to sneak by! Make it count. Climb the first set of stairs, go near the wall right in-front and you will have an option to grab the ledge and climb up. You'll be extremely near the stairwell guard at this point but he will be looking away from you, so be careful. Climb to the ledge, climb up... shimmy over to the left and get to the exit door leading to the next part of the mission!

This might take a few tries but once you get the timing right you'll more than make it without being spotted. Good luck mate and let me know how it went. Also, have fun with the fireworks in the next level! :D

EDIT: I took this screenshot to make things a tad more clearer for you, hope it helps mate:

hma2012120610590441.jpg

Black_Hawk

Skilled
Aug 8, 2009
House Va'ruun
So back on track here and managed to get 2 more missions done, here they are:

Birdie's Gift (Purist Difficulty, Suit Only, No Pacifications):
I. Gun Shop:

hma2012120120425093.jpg

This mission was not very difficult and a little exploration and the right path choosing was pretty much the name of the game in this one. 'Veteran' I think is the highest rank achievable here.

Shaving Lenny
(Purist Difficulty):

I. Streets of Hope:

hma2012120320512019.jpg

II. Barbershop:

hma2012120320512737.jpg

A nice pristine SA rating achieved in this one and truly this mission was absolutely amazing!! There was just so much to find in this level and so many unique ways to take out the targets. I think so far with 50% of the game done, this level just stood out for me hands-down! Kudos to the developers because it's levels like this that make me love the Hitman series. However, I did pacify and use disguises here... I don't think a suit only (planned) play-through without any pacification (in the second sub-level) is even possible. Also, I think this level with a 'certain' disguise on is so much better and more fun to do that's it'll be a shame not to do so.

My favorite was the Barbershop level in particular and this is how I eliminated the targets there:

Luke: Garroted him in the small storage room which leads into the counter kitchen area and hid his body in the box.
Mason: Switched the hot sauce with lighter fluid (nasty!) and voila... the BBQ took care of him!

Also... something fun, look who I found shooting in the Gun Shop level:

hma2012120120340591.jpg

Yes it's Mr. Lynch indeed and looks like he's getting a good practice at the gun shop's target range! :eek:hyeah:

Next up is the mission 'End of the Road', it'll be interesting to see what happens in this mission. :)