Hitman: Absolution - Discussion Thread

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
May 12, 2005
Bombay
The drug dealer gets caught!:rofl:

:rofl:

It's the guard who stays back and leans on a wooden box right after the officer shouts for the lights to come on and when they do for a bit, walks away with another guard accompanying him.

Got it! The biggest challenge for me in this part was getting the evidence and bypassing the guards unnoticed. How long is it taking you to complete each level?

Black_Hawk

Skilled
Aug 8, 2009
House Va'ruun
:rofl:

Got it! The biggest challenge for me in this part was getting the evidence and bypassing the guards unnoticed. How long is it taking you to complete each level?

That level took me over 5 hours to get it right (multiple tries included) and bypass the innumerable number of guards placed on the map. Today I'm mighty exhausted after the marathon session I had right from the morning to late afternoon completing the mission 'Hunter and Hunted'. Got a 'Shadow' rating on the mission. Tried the level multiple times and ended up Getting a solid score though so that made me happy with all being said and done as regards to this mission. I might re-try this mission (to go suit only) again later but tomorrow going onto the next mission mostly. Will post the stats tomorrow morning (as I'm mighty exhausted now) and will also write about the things I did in this mission as regards to the target kills. Went to work late today so tomorrow need to head out on-time for office. ;)

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
May 12, 2005
Bombay
Holy cow! That's almost the same amount of time I'm spending as well, or may be a bit more, as my stealth skills aren't particularly up to the mark. I have never attempted such a difficulty level in any game before, leave alone, a stealth game. I'm currently on the Train Station right now and after 20 failed attempts to go undetected, I'm going to call it a night. Shang-Ri-La was dam easy. I got most of my challenges completed out there, except for Bong Hits, not sure what we were even supposed to do to get that. Did you attempt collecting the evidence in the Train Station level and move forward? This seems to be almost an impossible feat, given the amount of guards in front of it and none of them making any rounds. I only have a f*ckin' pair of scissors to distract them, which would probably be good enough for just 1 guard. I'd sure like to see if you guys can come up with any other ideas for this.

Black_Hawk

Skilled
Aug 8, 2009
House Va'ruun
Ethan_Hunt: Seriously this game is a beast to be reckoned with on 'Purist' mode, it really ups the ante doesn't it now!

Now regarding the Train Station:

This was a nightmare on Purist mode owing largely to the fact there are just too many guards scattered around the map and they all have flashlights which isn't really great at all. Now the thing to remember here is that time and a patient observation are your best allies in this case. Try and study the guards patrolling patterns in the station very keenly. Extreme concentration needed. Once you activate the terminal controls and go out again into the station the difficulty is notched even further up with guards searching almost every square inch of the platform. My stance here was to have a keen eye and take in the guards movements to the T, God knows how many times I mistimed my movements and the guards saw me! Also, at the very last stage when your about to board the train, use whatever 'Instinct' you have left and go for the train doors this will ensure your success at this critical juncture.

I did have to try this last section so many times I practically lost count but when I managed to pull it off the feeling was sweet! Once again... focus primarily on the guard movements and take it slow without rushing. Good luck mate and I'm sure you'll get it right in a few tries. Oh yes , lest I forget... there are 'Hiding Spots' in the train station which will help you in the progress, use them when needed as they can help in staying out of harms way and also studying the guard patrolling patterns before you make your move. :)

I will post my stats for 'Hunter and Hunted' tomorrow and also give it a Suit Only no pacification approach... will be hard as hell and but oh well worth a try I guess IMHO. Nothing beats a classic Suit Only play-through.

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
May 12, 2005
Bombay
This was a nightmare on Purist mode owing largely to the fact there are just too many guards scattered around the map and they all have flashlights which isn't really great at all. Now the thing to remember here is that time and a patient observation are your best allies in this case. Try and study the guards patrolling patterns in the station very keenly. Extreme concentration needed. Once you activate the terminal controls and go out again into the station the difficulty is notched even further up with guards searching almost every square inch of the platform. My stance here was to have a keen eye and take in the guards movements to the T, God knows how many times I mistimed my movements and the guards saw me! Also, at the very last stage when your about to board the train, use whatever 'Instinct' you have left and go for the train doors this will ensure your success at this critical juncture.

I sort of figured out the how to slowly blend among the crowd. I was doing some suicide runs just to know the locations, but it wasn't getting me anywhere, as being spotted = instant death. Melee is a no go and so is taking Human shield. Since the disguise system is all screwed up, no point in going the cop style either. The amount of cops in this area are absurd. With the crowd density being so high, it's difficult to spot them at times. However, I'm really aiming to get through this level with evidence being collected. That's my biggest challenge. I know I'll figure out a way to evade the cops at the station, but grabbing the evidence is going to take some time.

I did have to try this last section so many times I practically lost count but when I managed to pull it off the feeling was sweet! Once again... focus primarily on the guard movements and take it slow without rushing. Good luck mate and I'm sure you'll get it right in a few tries. Oh yes , lest I forget... there are 'Hiding Spots' in the train station which will help you in the progress, use them when needed as they can help in staying out of harms way and also studying the guard patrolling patterns before you make your move. :)

Thanks for the those tips. It's good to see how each of us come out with our own techniques to get through the level. It just shows how creative this game is, in terms of completing the objectives. :)

Is Professional the highest rating for this chapter?

I will post my stats for 'Hunter and Hunted' tomorrow and also give it a Suit Only no pacification approach... will be hard as hell and but oh well worth a try I guess IMHO. Nothing beats a classic Suit Only play-through.

Dam straight! At this point, I have practically given up on dawning disguises, unless I want to complete a challenge. So Suit it is. :D

Black_Hawk

Skilled
Aug 8, 2009
House Va'ruun
My stats for the 'Hunter and Hunter' level played on Purist Difficulty and a few details below the screenshots of the end-mission stats:

Hunter and Hunted:

Courtyard:

hma2012113022270949.jpg

Vixen Club:

hma2012113022271800.jpg

Dressing Rooms:

hma2012113022272500.jpg

Derelict Building:

hma2012113022273328.jpg

Convenience Store:

hma2012113022273950.jpg

Chinese New Year:

hma2012113022274522.jpg

This was of-course an Accident Only, Non-SO, one shot fired, pacification play-through. Nevertheless, achieved a solid 'Shadow' rating at the end-mission screen and bagged some good points... thank the Lord!

Here's what I did to the targets in the level:

Target 1: Dom Osmond - Eliminated by Accident on the Disco Floor with the Disco Ball (sadistic fun!)
Target 2: Frank Owens - Eliminated by Accident with Petrol pump sabotage and Fireworks combination.
Target 3: Larry Clay - Eliminated by Accident with crate drop (one-shot fired).
Target 4: Bill Dole - Eliminated by stealing 'Birdie's File' and having the guard fire at him.

Although this was a no-hands dirty approach at killing the targets yet the game gave me a 'Shadow' rating. The Silent Assassin rating stays till the end of the Disco Club level (I checked with pressing the F1 key) but after that some of the in-between levels do not have targets in them and the ratings alter due to that aspect and at the end-game screen I was presented with a 'Shadow' rating, dang. Nice score though so I'm happy.

Today I will re-try this level with a Suit Only, no pacification, no shots fired play-through. It's a huge level and it'll be sweet if I can pull it off with a suit only approach with complete ghosting!

- - - Updated - - -
Ethan_Hunt: I forgot to add a few things to my post last night: when your on the station platform and studying the movements of a guard/guards up ahead of you... make sure your at a safe distance away from them, their flashlight zone and your face is turned AWAY from them. This will help, did for me. Also, make sure you save atleast some 'Instinct' and be sure to use it when you board the train finally otherwise a bug might kick in and the next cut-scene which shows the train leaving the station will be accompanied by a quick white flash which means you have been detected! This will be mighty annoying specially after all the hard work you will be putting in of avoiding the guards prior to this point.

Also, regarding the number of guards... the best clue to their positing is their flashlights! Scan the beams mate. :) The evidence collection can be tricky. Use bottles or a pair of scissors (which can be found at a small corridor in the train station building prior to entering the actual station platforms amongst the crowds) to distract and botch the guard positions and patrolling patterns - When you enter the big train station building and the mission objective states 'Locate Exit', get out of the elevator (automatic) and then go left and left again in that small corridor, there lies the pair of scissors. Again it'll be tricky and you'll have a very narrow window to nab that piece of evidence, so timing is paramount here mate. AFAIK, 'Professional' is the highest rating achievable here.

As you put aptly it in your post I agree completely. The game practically puts you in the heat of the mission and pretty much screams at you to get creative!! So was the case with Blood Money as well. I spent days and weeks getting creative in that game just so I could see if the game allowed a certain hedonistic kill approach or a certain escape route!

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
May 12, 2005
Bombay
Also, make sure you save atleast some 'Instinct' and be sure to use it when you board the train finally otherwise a bug might kick in and the next cut-scene which shows the train leaving the station will be accompanied by a quick white flash which means you have been detected!

THIS! WTF? I got hit twice with this stupid bug. I had made it through the entire level without being spotted in the Chicago cops uniform and boarded the train and there was a slight flash of light. I never thought we'd get spotted during a cut-scene. This is bullshit. I tried it again and the same result. If this happened to me in suit-only, I'd be furious.

Anyway, excellent stats on the 'Hunter and Hunter' chapter. I see a lot of pacification being done in this level. Any particular reason?

Black_Hawk

Skilled
Aug 8, 2009
House Va'ruun
THIS! WTF? I got hit twice with this stupid bug. I had made it through the entire level without being spotted in the Chicago cops uniform and boarded the train and there was a slight flash of light. I never thought we'd get spotted during a cut-scene. This is bullshit. I tried it again and the same result. If this happened to me in suit-only, I'd be furious.

Anyway, excellent stats on the 'Hunter and Hunter' chapter. I see a lot of pacification being done in this level. Any particular reason?

Seriously that bug is annoying. Like I mentioned... use your 'Instinct' and keep holding the Instinct button even when the cutscene plays. It will say you have no more Instinct left in red but keep holding that button down. You should be fine then.

I'm a little annoyed at myself mate in all honesty at pacifying 4 guards in total on the 'Hunter and Hunted' level, I like to keep things spanking clean when it comes down to stealth games like these. Sometimes though just to make things a tad easier I will pacify a guard or two but there's a nagging urge in me to do this particular mission Suit Only and without a single pacification... tall task that, but it'll be worth it if everything goes as plan and timing. This level was huge and the maps were pretty challenging with all the guard placements, specially a sequence where you'll have to evade guards. That is the primary reason behind me pacifying 4 guards in total. I'll try my best today to change that and be cleaner.

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
May 12, 2005
Bombay
Seriously that bug is annoying. Like I mentioned... use your 'Instinct' and keep holding the Instinct button even when the cutscene plays. It will say you have no more Instinct left in red but keep holding that button down. You should be fine then.

I'll try that, thanks! I was against using instinct, but if that's what it takes to get past this bug, then so be it.

I'm a little annoyed at myself mate in all honesty at pacifying 4 guards in total on the 'Hunter and Hunted' level, I like to keep things spanking clean when it comes down to stealth games like these. Sometimes though just to make things a tad easier I will pacify a guard or two but there's a nagging urge in me to do this particular mission Suit Only and without a single pacification... tall task that, but it'll be worth it if everything goes as plan and timing. This level was huge and the maps were pretty challenging with all the guard placements, specially a sequence where you'll have to evade guards. That is the primary reason behind me pacifying 4 guards in total. I'll try my best today to change that and be cleaner.

Nah! You got the highest ranking, what more would one want? But yeah, if we ought to do a perfectly clean run, then it definitely needs a lot of time. Boy I sure hope I can complete this title by the end of this year. :p

aquaticbullet: Thanks dude! Do post your impressions as well. The game will definitely draw you in.

Nov 24, 2011
Delhi
exam time :( .. i miss my job. Studying sucks. Next weekend would build a pc from a scratch and then would start this asap. And i am sure till then u guys would have wrapped this up :bleh:.

Black_Hawk

Skilled
Aug 8, 2009
House Va'ruun
Ethan_Hunt: Skipped work today (damn!) and sat with this game from early afternoon till now and got the 'Hunter and Hunted' level done... FINALLY!! Whew it was hard!! I'm ecstatic to say the least with utter joy that I could start the level in that signature suit of Agent 47 and end the mission in the same. After lots of bottle throwing, distractions. guards following and accurate timing coming together with keen evasion this is 'Hunter and Hunted' completed in Suit Only, no pacifications, no disguises and existing as a ghost (the game still gave me a 'Shadow' rating but with with a higher score than before... oh well!):

Hunter and Hunted (Suit Only, Purist Difficulty):

Courtyard:

hma2012120116053236.jpg

Vixen Club:

hma2012120116054210.jpg

Dressing Rooms:

hma2012120116054994.jpg

Derelict Building:

hma2012120116055660.jpg

Convenience Store:

hma2012120116060318.jpg

Chinese New Year:

hma2012120116060967.jpg

That was a tall task but in the end I am more than happy that I didn't have to subdue anyone, didn't have to fire a single shot and just based my play-through largely on patience, distractions and cover to cover hiding. It paid off in the end... sweetness!! :D

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
May 12, 2005
Bombay
First off, Brilliant job on the no kill and pacification run for the level. Can't believe you took a day off at work for it, but I can imagine the temptation. :p

Also, regarding the number of guards... the best clue to their positing is their flashlights! Scan the beams mate. :) The evidence collection can be tricky. Use bottles or a pair of scissors (which can be found at a small corridor in the train station building prior to entering the actual station platforms amongst the crowds) to distract and botch the guard positions and patrolling patterns - When you enter the big train station building and the mission objective states 'Locate Exit', get out of the elevator (automatic) and then go left and left again in that small corridor, there lies the pair of scissors. Again it'll be tricky and you'll have a very narrow window to nab that piece of evidence, so timing is paramount here mate. AFAIK, 'Professional' is the highest rating achievable here.

There are around 6 guards in the hallway and I have 2 tools to make use of to distract them; a Wrench and a Scissor. Wrench can't cover long distance, so it can only be used for short range throw. Scissor can cover a good distance, but can only distract one guard. Wrench does the same as well. So the best I can do is to distract one guard and that's just not good enough to snag the evidence. I found another way though. I grabbed a remote explosive from the safe in Shangri-La and used it to create a huge explosion in elevator room (where you start the Train Station segment). This is the only thing, which initiates a huge distraction and moves those cops from their places. Even then, it's quite a challenge to get the evidence and go unnoticed. But I'll keep trying till I get it right. I'm really struggling to get through with suit only. I think I make it through without being noticed at times, but then check my log and find that I've already been noticed. *sigh*

Black_Hawk

Skilled
Aug 8, 2009
House Va'ruun
Ethan_Hunt: Many thanks mate!! OTOH, I kind of have a feeling that the ratings shelled out by the game on certain level are a tad bit botched. The patch released does nothing to solve this and neither does it take care of the bug at the end of the train station level (that cutscene spotting bug!) Guess they will release a patch later to sort these issues out, infact I say they must.

Regarding that explosives you nabbed at the safe back in Shangri-La I had a strong feeling those remote charges could be used somewhere and it's great to see you putting that to use. I only hope you successfully get that evidence in your jiffy soon mate. Doing the suit only challenge in the 'Hunter and Hunted' level was made easier largely owing to the bottles strewn about in the level which I could use as modes of causing distractions. This helped a lot in spoiling those guard patrol patterns and sneaking by without being spotted. Tomorrow I plan on doing the next level, 'Rosewood'. :)

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
May 12, 2005
Bombay
Here are my stats till now for 'Run for your Life'

Burning Hotel:

hma20121201125524403.jpg

The Library:

hma20121201125537729.jpg

Shangri-La:

hma20121201125547781.jpg

I made a small mistake though. I had some challenges left to clear in Shangri-La and The Library. I re-attempted those levels to complete those challenges, managed to complete them, but didn't finish those chapters. Now on completing the 'Train Station' level, my final rating is agent and the previous 2 levels stats have been erased. :mad44:

I can't attempt the Library level all over again. So I'll just try to complete the Train Station in the best way that I can, club the stats above and work out the final score. :(

quan chi

Skilled
Dec 25, 2009
I really miss the old hitman.True this game has improved but they have made it very confusing this time.You wont know what is the highest rank in which level until and unless you explore it completely.:(

Anyways "A personal contract" revisited.

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
May 12, 2005
Bombay
quan chi: You're right. The game doesn't clearly define what the highest rank is, for A particular level. But the key to maximizing the score is simple; complete challenges and grab evidence (if available). Are you doing the challenges? They are really interesting. They compel you to try the game multiple times and also exploring.

Black_Hawk: I just looked up and the highest ranking for 'Run for your Life' chapter is 'Shadow'.

Also calling ALPHA17, where art thou and why aren't you playing this game?

ALPHA17

Cooler "Master"
Skilled
Jan 6, 2010
Delhi, India
Also calling ALPHA17, where art thou and why aren't you playing this game?

All out of cash, Sire. Will get it next year OR in the upcoming STEAM sale. I have exams and bunch of other nasties, so many games, so little time. =]

FARCRY 3 and Assassin's III are lying idle with me. =|

P.S. -- And this is going to be my first Hitman game. :ashamed:

Black_Hawk

Skilled
Aug 8, 2009
House Va'ruun
Ethan_Hunt: Okay, so then I guess I will have to retry that level suit only and see. But one question how come the game doesn't give you a SA rating on the sub-levels where you take down the targets. If you check the stats-screen before exiting a level in which you have assassinated a target silently you will notice that the game has probably given you a nice SA rating for that sub-level but if after exiting that sub-level you have a couple or more sub-levels left which are plain evasion and have no target elimination objectives (like in the mission 'Hunter and Hunted') the game then gives you a shadow rating as a whole when you complete the mission in entirety. It should atleast give you a sub-level SA rating at the end screen eh... would be a neat reward then don't you think? I don't quite understand the rating mechanism this game follows yet. Also, since your doing the 'Run for Your Life' mission Suit Only... you might just end up bagging that coveted 'Shadow' rating, I'm much eager to know now!

Another thing I have noticed...if say you kill a target with an accident and that accident involves something that is "Loud" as in for example a petrol pump explosion which takes out a target as well... the game refuses sometimes to count that as a Silent Assassin kill. Now I understand that it wasn't a proverbial "Silent" kill but hey it was an 'Accident' so give us some extra points!! I mean you did explore and find out how to cause that accident and BAM... no rewards whatsoever. This is contrary to Hitman: Blood Money in which Accidents were a silent kill IIRC. I guess more realism now. So I think at this moment getting a target eliminated by a garote is the best way for a SA approach and the most points accumulation?

I'm going to do the mission 'Rosewood' today and maybe one more if I can manage it. :)

EDIT: No wait... I'm going back. I will replay 'Run for Your Life' with a suit-only approach today, since you mentioned 'Shadow' is achievable. I must, the perfectionist in me will punish me otherwise. I must, I must dawn that suit again!