HDTV buying advice template

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HDTV buying advice thread

^Samsung A550 is a 2008 product.So just because one samsung went kaput doesn't mean all will last only a year.

What the OP was implying was that he heard samsung tvs only last little over a year which is not true.

Typical life of lcds is anywhere from 5 years to 10 years.,power supply can fail causing the main board or Backlight can to conk off.

@OP
That warrany is not from samsung.

Well, all I am saying is it's better to be safe than sorry. It's better to go for a TV which has like 3 years warranty like Panasonic. Also extended warranty is just a scam that the dealer will try to sell, since they are not from the manufacturer & the stores will take you for a ride when you claim it.

I am not saying that all Samsung tv's will stop working after a year, all I implied was their tv's are infamous for having cheap quality materials in them. So there may be a good chance that the TV may go bad after a year (& THAT is not a MYTH).

I will buy a new tv, now that mine has gone kaput & I will most probably opt for Panasonic coz of their 3 year warranty.

I am planning to buy Samsung LA32D580, Pls answer for the queries

1. Do we need to have Stablizer for LCD Tv's..?

2. Have you tried DLNA feature? Will belkin wifi adaptor work in Samsung LCD..?

3. Is it better to spend more and buy LED rather going for LCD for longer life..?

gautham82 said:
I am planning to buy Samsung LA32D580, Pls answer for the queries

1. Do we need to have Stablizer for LCD Tv's..?
2. Have you tried DLNA feature? Will belkin wifi adaptor work in Samsung LCD..?
3. Is it better to spend more and buy LED rather going for LCD for longer life..?

1 A strict must ,get a stabilizer like V-guard Crystal.
2 Only samsung proprietary wifi dongle works.
3 LED emitter should have better life then the CCFL backlights.

@Somu
Did by chance buy a display/demo model since its a 08 model and you bought in 09.

Do you use a stabilizer.

No man, I got it from Jumbo electronics, that time I had no knowledge of the lottery system etc. Should have done more research, b4 buying.

Well, a stitch in time I guess.

No never used a stbilizer, could that be an issue. Strangely, I was never suggested a stabilizer neither at the store, nor by the Samsung service center guy.

somu said:
No man, I got it from Jumbo electronics, that time I had no knowledge of the lottery system etc. Should have done more research, b4 buying.
Well, a stitch in time I guess.
No never used a stbilizer, could that be an issue. Strangely, I was never suggested a stabilizer neither at the store, nor by the Samsung service center guy.

Yes the lack of a stabilizer can cause all kinds of issues.Typical operating voltage of tvs be it lcd or plasma is a max of 240v.In india we get voltages above this quite often and sometimes like here in bangalore the night time voltage is 250v min and sometimes can go as high as 270+ ,the highest i saw was 304v which will destroy a tv ,pc and majority of the electronic devices.

A stabilizer like a V-guard crystal won't at no point allow the voltage to cross beyond 240v even when the input voltage is as high as 290v.

Even my Samsung LCD TV's Panel lasted for a year :X

Has happened twice now....

pranut said:

this is adding to my confusion.:S
need to know if any of samsung owners got more life out of their HDTV
what other options are in the same price bracket with similar playback options :S
got quotes from CSD
THE 40 inch D550 for 43,800:(
and the LG 42 INCH (model number unknown) @ 41,300.
Are prices cheap compared to retail stores ? :S

[/COLOR]
pranut said:

So what did u do once it went kaput, replaced the panel?

my lcd tv from samsung bought from oct 2007 died last month. they asked 16k to repair it or if provided the bill they will exchange it with another tv for half the rate of 16k. what shall i do

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

i got the bill with me.will repair take this much charge

^Repair these days means replacing a entire part like panel,main board,power supply.
The tv of 2007 tech at best would produce a contrast of around 1000:1 and if its a CMO panel very common in india at that time,it would have poor viewing angle and washed put picture compared to todays standard.

So its best to get a new tv.

16k repair price can only mean replacement of the panel either with a new one or refurbished one.

how can i make sure i can replace it with new one or new tv rather an a refurbished one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back