HDTV buying advice template

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAV33N

Skilled
May 21, 2009
Re: HDTV buying advice thread

Gannu said:
^LA40C630. Some of us in the forum own the same panel as well. Pretty impressed with the performance. The panel is a SPVA one.

In your thread, you mentioned about the LE40C630, the E stands for Europe and A in the LA stands for Asia. That's the only difference between the 2 models. :)
how much does it cost?

also,where can i buy it online?

NAV33N

Skilled
May 21, 2009

Gannu said:
Me and another member from Surat, medpal got our respective LA40C630 for 58k during Diwali last year.

LED with similar specs - not within the 60k budget. Those cost almost close to 80k for the 40 inchers AFAIK.
hmm,tried to search it on ebay but no listings are there.

40C530 is there though,what's the difference between these two?

sg3707

Adept
Nov 19, 2009

40C530 is also a very good model. Except for the contrast the other things does not affect the picture quality that much.

Most of the time the 100 Hz thing would be off because the video and audio would be out of sync for most of the channels if it is switched on. Need for a Lan port also depends on your usage.

You can also have a look at sony EX400 around the same price as C630. Major difference is it has a glossy panel and it's media playing capabilities are limited when compared to samsung or LG also no 100Hz here.

But you would be getting a SPVA panel for sure no panel lottery for sony.

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod

sg3707 said:
40C530 is also a very good model. Except for the contrast the other things does not affect the picture quality that much.

Most of the time the 100 Hz thing would be off because the video and audio would be out of sync for most of the channels if it is switched on. Need for a Lan port also depends on your usage.

You can also have a look at sony EX400 around the same price as C630. Major difference is it has a glossy panel and it's media playing capabilities are limited when compared to samsung or LG also no 100Hz here.

But you would be getting a SPVA panel for sure no panel lottery for sony.
The EX400 does not have a glossy panel. Or were you referring to the glossy bezels?

The NX500 has a glossy panel though.

medpal

Resident Medic
Skilled
Mar 16, 2005
The City of Diamonds.

NAV33N said:
hmm,tried to search it on ebay but no listings are there.
40C530 is there though,what's the difference between these two?
Last two consecutive ads from samsung i noticed in newspapers did not carry any of the 6** or 6**** series tvs. They mentioned series 5 and series 7 so most likely the series 6 stocks are over or an upgrade is due in near future.

renegade

Staff member
Super Mod
Dec 31, 2004
Pune

Alright I need some word of advice..

I am getting the following price:

1. 40C530 for 47K - AA02

2. 37C550 for 49K - AA02

So what I want to know is:

1. If difference between AA and SQ considerable?

2. Also the two compared side by side, the C550 had richer colors. Is that related only to calibration or does C550 have something superior?

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod

^I think I have re-iterated this a dozen times in this thread already. Nvm. Avoid 37 inchers from Sony or Samsung. They have the panels sourced from AUO and PQ would look mediocre at best. Opt for the AVMA from the 40 incher if you aren't getting a SPVA panel but avoid 37 inchers at all costs.

As for your queries:

1. Depends. I (and doc) could easily make out the difference between the 2 when we were hunting for our displays.

2. C550 has a jacked up contrast ratio figures. Although in the real world, this wouldn't matter since you can increase the brightness in your panel and make it look as good as the C550.

Sep 24, 2007

And advantage of samsung models are..

They can play media off USB with Optical out, Thinking of the options.. Connect a 2TB HDD and connect the HT/speaker to optical OUT..

you have the simplest HT ready.

Seems simple but you have to use them to find the advantage...

medpal

Resident Medic
Skilled
Mar 16, 2005
The City of Diamonds.

Samsung has put back its 6series models.

Now the offer for the worldcup is Dish TV HD connection.

So people who want to grab the TV this is the time to opt for it.

@switch now you can hunt for LA40C630 from samsung or Sony 40EX400 / 500 / 600.

Whichever suits you best will be fine.

renegade

Staff member
Super Mod
Dec 31, 2004
Pune

medpal said:
Now the offer for the worldcup is Dish TV HD connection.
Yeah, forgot to mention that earlier.

Is Tata SKy and Dish TV beamed from same satellite? Asking coz my building is internally wired for Tata Sky and I dont think I would be allowed to put up an individual antenna of Dish TV. So was hoping to use the Dish TV STB with the Tata Sky dish.

neomustdie

Adept
May 14, 2006
www.thinkjayant.com

Looking for a LCD/LED TV on a shoe string budget

1. Budget : 20 to 25K.. can stretch till 30K

2. Viewing distance : 5/6ft

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc. - I would be using it in my bedroom.. so it would be best if it can double up as TV (going to buy Tatasky STB HD) and laptop

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV - looking for LED tv as heard it is better. Looking for a 26incher.

5. Preference for brands - no idea.. but need a good ASS

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? - no idea

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room. - ok light

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc. - 1080p resolution

Also please advice the stores where I can make the purchases.

regards neo

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod

^Samsung LA32C530 (any small outlet which retails Samsung LCDs will be able to source it for you for a good price; avoid Croma, Reliance Digital since they tend to rip off the customers during off seasons) or the Sony32EX400 through grey. Both should be ~30k.

If you are buying it from the grey (Alfa at Irla), double check the panel for issues such as dead/stuck pixels, cracks in the bezels etc.

Zinc

Adept
Jan 8, 2010
Globe Trotter

Gannu said:
^Precisely. And you know the best part? The HDMI in the TV does the audio pass-through for DTS & Dolby D as well! So you don't need an additional optical/coaxial cable from the console or the standalone media player. Just have one optical cable from the TV to the receiver.

Alas!
My one year old Samsung LED-LCD doesn't have an optical out. :( :mad:
But I have PS3 and Xbox360. :)

neomustdie

Adept
May 14, 2006
www.thinkjayant.com

I am OK with the 26inch models also.. in that case, i have LG 26LE5500 and Samsung UN26C4000 just under 30K (Src: naaptol.com)... what are your views about that.. LG one is 1080p while Samsung is 720p..

Status
Not open for further replies.