Hasta la Vista?

superczar

Skilled
Here's another poll, and the background on it...Also just to add to what's below, I know there have been a bunch of polls/threads on Vista in the past (when Vista RCs were coming up)...Now that most , if not all of us have had some experience with Vista, we can have a relatively mature viewpoint coming from the community:

Of late, I have read up quite a few articles on the negative sentiments generated by Vista in the general computing public....

At the same time, there are several (though lesser in #) write-ups floating around singing praises of Vista...

personally, I don't love Vista though hate would be too strong a word...

To give an overview of my own take, I did a trial upgrade to Vista on my desktop and one of my lappies (XPS)

I am not loving it, and want to downgrade (?) to XP when I get the time, but it isn't so bad either that I would stay up all night tonight to get back to XP ,,,though like I said before, I would be reverting back to my legit XP installs sooner rather than later

Here's what I had posted back in one of the several Vista threads on TE some time back and I think this best surmises my own take:

Coming to think of it, the moment I upgraded from ME to XP, there was no turning back, even on hardware that barely ran XP (a P-III 550 with 192 MB of RAM)

I turned off the graphical effects of XP just to keep that running, it was that good an upgrade....

With Vista, its a love-hate story (actually more hate)

Disclaimer: All my machines running Vista are a lot better than MSFTs recommended configuration for Vista

Love

- The spotlight clone feature (real time search): Though nowhere as good as Spotlight, the Vista Search is infinitely better than XP search

However, I hear that Google desktop on XP is also fairly neat

- The somewhat improved battery life on my laptop which went up frm arnd 3 hrs on XP to 3:30 on Vista with aggressive power saving settings

Hate

- The much annoying constant disk thrashing

- Lack of drivers for some hardware(should improve with time)

- some programs/applets are painfully slow (like Network and sharing center)

The most annoying thing abt Vista though is this...

There are times when Vista will be inexplicably cranky and behave weirdly

Things which would have worked fine the last time will sometimes refuse to work-randomly

and this can get very annoying when it happens

It's hard to explain but I'll just give you a few examples

- Stuck copy paste operations 1 in 10 times (esp while copying over network)

LOL...this will typically happen when I am in a hurry and just need to grab a few ..files on my lappy from the b**ch rig and run out

- Cranky hibernation which takes Vista almost as long to resume from hibernate than a restart (not always, but sometimes)

-DHCP troubles on every nth resume (n=5-10)

And so and and so forth....

XP felt much more user friendly and almost as stable as a mainstream Linux distri like Mandrake

Vista feels maybe a little more user friendly (?) but the crankiness is a big killjoy

As for me, I have voted for option 2...would love to hear the take of the community here :)

I voted for "I tried Vista. Didn't like it and am planning to/have moved back to XP"

I am happy with my WinXP64 :hap2: with 'classic theme' :rolleyes:

I tried it on my sis' lappy and it SUCKS !!

Only because I am not able to get the damn lappy on my home network. I spent 4 hrs that day. It was painful.

I still havent managed it.

Apart from this, I have no other experience. It seems decent enough. The Aero experience is kinda cool...

Can't have all the chouices, can we :)

The closes one to your case would option 1 then (I am happy with XP. Have heard a lot of negative stuff about Vista and have no plans to switch!)

Only because I am not able to get the damn lappy on my home network. I spent 4 hrs that day. It was painful.

I still havent managed it.

yeesh...why? whats the issue?

Voted for the second option... I have a dual boot between Vista and XP... For working on the PC i use Vista only for gaming i am using XP...

Other than gaming i liked vista :p. Though am using XP now too lazy instal Vista (had dual boot with xp and vista few months back, but had to take off vista as i was running out of space:p)

I am using XP on the desktop which is the main rig for all my daily activities (internet, downloading, gaming, etc..) and I am happy with it.

I am using Vista on my Dell Inspiron Laptop and I am also happy with the performance.

:bleh: :bleh:

using Vista Ultimate 32bit since March 2007 for everything including gaming :)

few games look better on Vista than XP :eek:hyeah:

will shift to Vista Ultimate 64bit in September 2007 :D

LOL..Shakensoul, so what did you vote for?

And haven't you guys run into any weird problems during file copying on Vista esp. media files?

Udit said:
using Vista Ultimate 32bit since March 2007 for everything including gaming :)

few games look better on Vista than XP :eek:hyeah:

will shift to Vista Ultimate 64bit in September 2007 :D

Man its amazing how you plan out OS shifts so far ahead of time :) :p As for me, I am on Vista "LEGIT" Home Premium X64 on the following config:

- E6600 @ 3.42Ghz Stock cooler (1.35V bios)

- P5N32-E SLI

- 4GB 449Mhz 4-4-4-2T Gskill-2GBHZ (D9GMH)

- OCZ 8800GTX (@ stock atm, waiting for something) w/ 160.04 drivers

and am loving it :) The rig is crunching 24x7 ofcourse (WCG 5.10.7)

Main uses:

- Working

- Lots of VS2005

- 2-3 concurrent VMWare sessions

- GAMING :) :p (actually, I don't game much except for CS: S)

- Surfing/browsing/viewing movies

@czar: Hey m8, i hv not run into any problems per se.... I had some troubles getting uTorrent to resume downloading a file I was downloading before I switched to XP. Didn't bother much with that though.

Regards,

Karan

Actually add one more option. I think that will be most people's answer.

"Right now satisfied with Win XP. Will move to Vista eventually."

I've been using Vista for a while and I really like it ... runs great specially with 2gigs of RAM, the search feature is the best thing about it and gaming is the only -ve point for me so far

superczar said:
And haven't you guys run into any weird problems during file copying on Vista esp. media files?

Perhaps this will help ...

http://www.techenclave.com/forums/fix-vistas-slow-file-copying-problem-91642.html

... did speed up the file copying significantly in my case

superczar said:
LOL..Shakensoul, so what did you vote for?

I chose "I'm loving Vista" as it was the closet option. I transfer movies, pictures and mp3 frequently from my external hdd, no issues till now.

hmm... i tried rtm , Quake 3 Problems with opengl or summin... that was the last ...

I hated XP like this , cuz "Driver" didnt work . however it wasnt more than 2 years later that i shifted . :p

i guess will be same this time around . :) it it aint broken , dont fix it . XP runs fine and i still like it :)

Back