Harassment in residential societies and spinning of news by the media

Why just muslim fundamentalists, remember Da Vinci Code ? An English movie attacking the foundation of the Christian faith, made in a predominantly christian country, and by mostly christian persons, made its maximum money in other christian countries but was banned in India as it would hurt the sentiments of Christians? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mmm...that is weird. I do remember buying the VCD after some time in India. But honestly cannot remember after how long it came to India. Bad, if they had banned it. It was total fiction. Ya, the Papacy had some issues (but they do that for a plethora of things); but world wide this movie was cool.....!

Aside @blkrb0t I guess you went a bit overboard with the pricks thing. No they are not pricks, its just their belief. Rational or not. Until they create issues for you, let them be. @6pack (until he corrects me such) I believe dint have any issues while having his non-veg food.

Yes, it is their belief, I know that. But you cross the prick line when you expect others to have the same beliefs. Maybe calling them pricks was a bit rude on my part, perhaps I am that frustrated?

@TheIndian I was replying specifically to the Salman Rushdie controversy. I know all religions do have certain issues when their beliefs are questioned or an alternate idea is presented. I wonder why they call it faith if they have none at all. Someone with faith wouldn't be bothered with what others think of his/her beliefs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Societal pressure is prevalent in Hyd too, recently my girlfriend and one of her friend took a flat for rent in Hi-tech city, now whenever I visit or her friends visit , her landlord creates an issue out of it.
move to malaysian township , i see lot of couples living together and no issue being created. my neighbour is a live in too, buggers keep fighting a lot though

The landlord person is actually trying to start quite a mess for the tentants( my lady friends) . He is always coming up why I am visiting , recently their few friends visited on an occasion, he started to raise his voice why they have visited, water is being used up, agreement says for two people rent , how can 10 people can come and stay ?

Is there any way to stop this ? What should be the proper answer given to him ? I am refraining myself to answer him as I get quite hyper listening to these nonsense.

The landlord person is actually trying to start quite a mess for the tentants( my lady friends) . He is always coming up why I am visiting , recently their few friends visited on an occasion, he started to raise his voice why they have visited, water is being used up, agreement says for two people rent , how can 10 people can come and stay ?

Is there any way to stop this ? What should be the proper answer given to him ? I am refraining myself to answer him as I get quite hyper listening to these nonsense.

What does the agreement really say? We can decide after that.

Does it say that no one can visit the tenants? Or does it only say that no can stay over at the place?

What does the agreement really say? We can decide after that.

Does it say that no one can visit the tenants? Or does it only say that no can stay over at the place?

I agree with what @blkrbot has to say but More important, is your friend willing to stand up the land lord and fight ? OR is she going to shrivel up and back down the moment landlord says " I am calling your parents and talking to them" (if they are involved in renting the place).

I've heard about quite a few incidents where certain residential societies in Mumbai refused to rent/sell flats to people of certain religion or from certain region.

Yep, there are a bunch of apartment complexes in chandivili, near a Jain temple. One of the buildings is strictly reserved for Brahmins/Jains (i.e., vegetarians), and I hear that even the maids aren't allowed to work in other apartments outside that building where they might have to deal with non-veg food.

@TheIndian: Standing up for yourself is easier if it is you own that apartment/rented it out for a long time. Max. pain is felt by people (like that other bloke who posted in the other forum), and women, who move to a different city/state, have to deal with different societies/cultures/languages. Sometimes other society heads just look for a fight to impress moral authority.

I heard my house-broker who stays in my building had a tiff with the society secy., so I have been on my guard. But its been a little over a year and my contract has been renewed, so not anticipating any problems.
Of course, it helps that friends hardly pop by. Did have a friend staying over for a while, but there wasn't any issue made out of it.
AND the house-owner sub-contracted her own maid to my apartment, so they literally have an eye on my apartment EVERY day. (irritating, but got used to it).

@Vince Exactly my point, if the girl is not willing to put up a fight, no point in talking about what she can do. In this scenario all the land lord has to say is "I am calling your parents" and that will be the end of that, no matter if she is 30+ even, she will give in.

She was using society area. It wasn't her own place. Anything that has to be done in the society for her / his personal use.. Society's permission has to be taken first from the managing committee. A rule is a rule and law is a law. Check the society by-laws.

She was using society area. It wasn't her own place.

Who are you commenting on, the original topic or the post discussed above you?

If it is the original post, then how is having a personal interview in your own apartment a hindrance to anyone else?

Anything that has to be done in the society for her / his personal use.. Society's permission has to be taken first from the managing committee.

Code:
Dear 'Society' Managing Committee,

As I am very horny today, may I have your permission to **** my wife? Please decide before I return from work as I really need to.

Thanks,
A very horny husband

Who are you commenting on, the original topic or the post discussed above you?

If it is the original post, then how is having a personal interview in your own apartment a hindrance to anyone else?

Code:
Dear 'Society' Managing Committee,

As I am very horny today, may I have your permission to **** my wife? Please decide before I return from work as I really need to.

Thanks,
A very horny husband
Please go read some books on housing society and acts and laws.

Also your example shows that you've no clue what you are comparing.

Please go read some books on housing society and acts and laws.

Also your example shows that you've no clue what you are comparing.
For the benefit of the uninformed, which rule of the CoOp Housing society act governs casual visitors and personal interviews in a home?
BTW just to give you fair warning, A copy of the act is laying right next to my bedside.[DOUBLEPOST=1365625175][/DOUBLEPOST]
Which act and which law specifically?

I really have no clue, I might've been ignorant.
He is probably referring to the Cooperative housing societies Act of Mah

I've heard about quite a few incidents where certain residential societies in Mumbai refused to rent/sell flats to people of certain religion or from certain region.

This is extremely messed up in Ahmedabad. If you're a Muslim you're gonna have a bad time getting a house in West Ahmedabad. Its like societies and builders have ganged up against them, absolutely preventing them from purchasing or renting a house in most of West Ahmedabad. While there are Muslim colonies south, West Ahmedabad is absolutely devoid of Muslims as a result of this.

This is extremely messed up in Ahmedabad. If you're a Muslim you're gonna have a bad time getting a house in West Ahmedabad. Its like societies and builders have ganged up against them, absolutely preventing them from purchasing or renting a house in most of West Ahmedabad. While there are Muslim colonies south, West Ahmedabad is absolutely devoid of Muslims as a result of this.

Isn't that against the constitution? The society can write whatever laws they can, but no law can take the rights of citizens and discriminate.

Found this article searching for those said laws: http://articles.economictimes.india...oenka-law-associates-jones-lang-lasalle-india

"Individual societies are legally empowered to deny tenancy based on their bye-laws. In many cases, such bye-laws are interpreted in a certain manner in order to achieve this. However, they have no constitutional right to do so," says Ahuja, CEO, residential services, Jones Lang LaSalle India.

(Home owner here refers to the person who's staying in the society in a property he owns.)
17074736.cms

Back