Galaxy S4 mini unveiled

Dhrubo

Disciple
Apr 28, 2010
Source
Samsung has taken the surprising route of announcing the phone-we-all-knew-about Galaxy S4 Mini ahead of the expected launch event in June.

The new S4 Mini packs a number of top end features in a diminutive package, with things like S Translate, Group Play and an upgraded camera system. However, it does away with a lot of the "innnovation" we saw in the S4 - so Smart Scroll and friends don't seem to have got a look in (which, if you read our Samsung Galaxy S4 review, is a good thing).

In terms of hardware it's as expected: a Super AMOLED qHD (960 x 540) 4.3-inch screen sits on top of a polycarbonate phone (coming in White Frost and Black Mist... or white and black) with dimensions of 124.6 x 61.3 x 8.94mm. It's going to be super light too, with a weight of just 107g.

Coming in both 4G and 3G flavours, the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini will have a dual core processor clocked at 1.7GHz, although the South Korean brand hasn't confirmed whether this will be the expected Snapdragon 400 or an older S4 chip - the former would really help the phone whip through the arduous tasks thrust on it by a modern smartphone user (or a parent prodding at the new phone bought by their offspring).
Samsung has delivered a strong nod to the recent "Internal Memory-Gate" (working title) of the Galaxy S4 by noting that while the S4 Mini only comes with 8GB of storage, 5GB of that is user accessible and "may change after a software upgrade". It does have a microSD slot capable of reading cards up to 64GB, and 1.5GB of RAM doesn't sound too shabby at all.

So the little brother has an early launch. Seems to be a better prospect then the previous iteration (Galaxy S3 mini). If priced well this might take over the mid segment. ET reports it will be available in LTE, HSPA+ and 3G dual sim models. 3G dual sim definitely indicates a chance of this hitting our shores this time.

[Rumor] Will be launched in India early July at a price tag of INR 24,990.[/rumor]

Dhrubo

Disciple
Apr 28, 2010
Yup, agreed. But with the recent success of Grand duos I think Samsung might think of launching this here as a replacement of grand (talking about price range). Grand quattro lies a little lower in their product portfolio I suppose.

Spacescreamer

ex-Mod
Jan 23, 2006
Even the mini version now is sporting a 4"+ screen.
Hopes of getting a good phone with a more practical screen size seems to have faded away.

Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini is heading to India Early July for Rs 24,990
Specs :
Android 4.2.2
1.7GHz dual-core processor
1.5GB of RAM.
8GB internal memory (expandable up to 64)
GPS, GLONASS, WiFi.

abhishek2600

≡ Green World ≡
Disciple
Jul 31, 2011
I suppose mini in terms of specs & 'S4' to cash the flagships popularity... hence the name S4 mini... its all marketing[DOUBLEPOST=1369918253][/DOUBLEPOST]
Even the mini version now is sporting a 4"+ screen.
Hopes of getting a good phone with a more practical screen size seems to have faded away.

hellblog

Disciple
Aug 27, 2011
and there is always a mini version :p when its samsung!

Sent from my GT-I9500 using TechEnclave Forum mobile app

vantheman5211

Creator of fu*ktron
Skilled
Apr 29, 2010
The specs are okish. Would love to see how the screen looks in person.
Hopefully it can still be operated via 1 hand.