Legendary music player Winamp is going open-source

rootyme

Jaadoo
Adept
In a forum of classics, this should thrill many. What was your experience with Winamp? Would you like a Linux fork?

1. https://www.xda-developers.com/winamp-open-source/
2. https://about.winamp.com/press/article/winamp-open-source-code

Bonus: Here is a Winamp implementation for browsers. Webamb!

@becool773
>If Winamp was with any of those big companies then they would have it a cash cow as it is too good.

Winamp was owned by AOL at a time, they later sold it off.

One of the best s/w released those times, still remember stereo & other plugins, etc. giving good music effects.
Unfortunately, sad remembrance of Justin Frankel comes to mind.

Think foobar2000 is doing a better job now.

Wow, I had almost forgotten WA.
Back in the day I had actually developed a skin for it.
BasicAmp2
Almost 20 years, gone so fast.
BasicAmp2 is for users like me who select audio files using the Media
Library & Playlist and then play them using the play/pause/stop
buttons. Nothing more. BasicAmp2 is neat, functional and easy to use.

BasicAmp2 gives the user some control over what is displayed and
where it is displayed.

Some of the options are :
- show/hide the timer on the left or on the right.
- show/hide the visualization on the left or on the right.
- show/hide the songname.
- enable/disable text scrolling.
- show/hide the seeker.

And, it will wish you Merry Christmas. Really.

What was the USP of WinAmp?
I remember seeing it on every PC, but when I bought mine, I couldn't find anything special compared to the default media players (Was it the full screen visualizations, or gapless playback?).
Later I preferred the f00bar when it was released, and its DSPs, convolvers, media library.

What was the USP of WinAmp?
I remember seeing it on every PC, but when I bought mine, I couldn't find anything special compared to the default media players (Was it the full screen visualizations, or gapless playback?).
Later I preferred the f00bar when it was released, and its DSPs, convolvers, media library.
Better UI than WMP, better visualizations, and it had character, unlike MS' soulless WMP.

Plus when you started it the first time it played the llama whippin' intro.

foobar2000 was developed by Peter Pawłowski, who previously worked at Nullsoft and developed plugins for Winamp.
He probably left after AoL acquisition.

Oh the good ol'd days when Winamp was on every PC and the go to music player! I currently use JRiver MC on my audio PC which is connected to my stereo setup but would love to use Wimamp again for the nostalgia!

Seriously nostalgic just seeing the name Winamp. Reminded me of the songs.pk era. :D

Does this have an Android app? Or does everyone now actually pay for music on Spotify?

Back