Front loading or top loading washing machine?

How should we calculate the weight of clothes dry or wet? If it is wet how do one knows weight of clothes? My machine has 2KG capacity for woollen. Thank you
Use a luggage weighing scale

I use this one, didn't want a generic. Handy for weighing gas cylinders to get an idea of how much gas is in them.

Tare for the bucket and add clothes until you reach the required weight. Dry clothes.

This will be more accurate than using a regular weighing scale to weigh yourself. They can't pickup weights under 10kg very well.

Last edited:
I'm looking to buy a new front load, currently have an IFB front load that runs like it's about to take off.
So I'm finally about to buy a new one
@blr_p I'd like your suggestions and clarifications on few questions.
Right now we have a 6.5kg IFB, I'm thinking of getting a bigger one like 7 or 8kg since the old one is getting loaded to the brim but there was a concern that if only few/less clothes can be washed in a big size one, can you throw some light on that.

As for the new one, we're thinking IFB or LG, mostly leaning towards IFB. Can you suggest good models from both under 40k that's durable and has less costly spares if any out of warranty repairs are needed.

Right now we have a 6.5kg IFB, I'm thinking of getting a bigger one like 7 or 8kg since the old one is getting loaded to the brim but there was a concern that if only few/less clothes can be washed in a big size one, can you throw some light on that.
Yes they can be. Though I would recommend doing it with the regular cotton cycle instead of the quick wash or express program which is really for refreshing clothes than actually washing.
As for the new one, we're thinking IFB or LG, mostly leaning towards IFB. Can you suggest good models from both under 40k that's durable and has less costly spares if any out of warranty repairs are needed.
Post your IFB choices.

The one I liked that has the same features as mine from 2015 and uses buttons instead of touchscreen is a 2019 model

The downside with IFB unless it's changed recently is no auto clothes weight detection. So you have to manually set a modifier button called 'time saver' when doing a small load otherwise even a few clothes will default to the standard 2h30 duration.

LG I've recommended this model to a few people already

LG does auto weight detection. I'm hearing full loads run quicker thanks to the jet stream it uses. Otherwise a full load on my machine is 2h30m+

There is also a WiFi variant of the above LG for more but I don't know why you would want it.

Don't much care for the colour. But it's got a clear glass door which you want. Higher end models come with tinted doors which hinders your view. I believe you should at a glance be able to see inside.

Last edited:
Yes they can be. Though I would recommend doing it with the regular cotton cycle instead of the quick wash or express program which is really for refreshing clothes than actually washing.

Post your IFB choices.

The one I liked that has the same features as mine from 2015 and uses buttons instead of touchscreen is a 2019 model

The downside with IFB unless it's changed recently is no auto clothes weight detection. So you have to manually set a modifier button when doing a small load otherwise even a few clothes will default to the standard 2h30 duration.

LG I've recommended this model to a few people already

LG does auto weight detection. I'm hearing full loads run quicker thanks to the jet stream it uses. Otherwise a full load on my machine is 2h30m+

There is also a WiFi variant of the above LG for more but I don't know why you would want it.

Don't much care for the colour. But it's got a clear glass door which you want. Higher end models come with tinted doors which hinders your view. I believe you should at a glance be able to see inside.
Thanks for the suggestions, the LG one looks like a good option but the ifb 4 year warranty is pretty enticing. Is there any similar model from ifb with auto weight detection?

Thanks for the suggestions, the LG one looks like a good option but the ifb 4 year warranty is pretty enticing.
Only if you're looking to resell in fewer years. Are you?

Otherwise it's meaningless. The time you really want warranty is beyond 5 years but no one offers that.
Is there any similar model from ifb with auto weight detection?

IFB AI models.png

Models with this AI feature?

See here (needs double checking)

I downloaded a manual from one of those machines and don't see any AI weight detection mentioned.

Bear in mind I'm operating on the assumption that IFB drums are not sealed like LG. Not got a confirmation as people have been unwilling to cooperate but it's a strong hunch.

currently have an IFB front load that runs like it's about to take off
Needs a bearings change. You might not need a new machine

Right now we have a 6.5kg IFB, I'm thinking of getting a bigger one like 7 or 8kg since the old one is getting loaded to the brim
Just want to point out cause and effect here.

Filling to the brim besides doing a poor job at cleaning is known as overloading. Do that long enough and you wear out the bearings sooner which is why it sounds like an aircraft turbine.

You need a bigger machine. Get a tape measure and manually measure the dimensions of your existing drum. Depth and Diameter.

When you zero in on any machine you like check it out in a store and measure it's drum. Don't do this purely online. Your main requirement is a bigger machine and that is what any replacement must be.

How old is your present machine?

Last edited:
Models with this AI feature?

See here (needs double checking)
Found this IFB model which has weight detection but many negative reviews
Needs a bearings change. You might not need a new machine

Just want to point out cause and effect here.

Filling to the brim besides doing a poor job at cleaning is known as overloading. Do that long enough and you wear out the bearings sooner which is why it sounds like an aircraft turbine.

You need a bigger machine. Get a tape measure and manually measure the dimensions of your existing drum. Depth and Diameter.

When you zero in on any machine you like check it out in a store and measure it's drum. Don't do this purely online. Your main requirement is a bigger machine and that is what any replacement must be.
Agreed but right now it's not working too so figured upgrading is the only option.
How old is your present machine?
It's easily 10 plus years old. Budget got cut a little, looking around 30k now. I'll check prices offline then decide. Can you also suggest a 7kg model from LG

Can you measure the drum diameter and depth in cm of your current machine and post here?
Found this IFB model which has weight detection but many negative reviews
Two things missing in that model. No prewash option evident by how small the drawer is and no timer so you have no idea when the wash completes which is ridiculous. Avoid.

I really doubt it has weight detection. But then neither does your present machine. How long does it take to do a full load vs. A light load?
Budget got cut a little, looking around 30k now. I'll check prices offline then decide.
This is a mimimum 10 yr investment. Up your budget and get something better than you have at present
Can you also suggest a 7kg model from LG
The 7kg LG's will be too small. Depth of these machines is 46cm. With LG due to the direct drive depth should be 56cm minimum.

There is a base model 8kg available for little more than 30k though

The UI is quite basic here compared to the other LG I recommended

Last edited:
Bought a IFB Executive Plus MXC 1014 after way too much deliberation. Lot of that was due to my own confusion and overload of informaiton from this thread. Much of it caused by @blr_p

Ordered the machine of IFB website directly using a discount code - SURPRISE10. Code gave a 10% discount plus there is a card offer on this model of 9k and option for 9 months 0% emi.

Net cost without any exchange came to 34.2k. No dealer or chain store was able to match this (online or offline).

Delivery is scheduled for tomorrow but no update on IFB website outside of status still reading - Processing.

I am upgrading from a 10+ year old Samsung top load with capacity of10.5kg. Had some issues with it over the past 12-18 months but a few weeks back it stopped rinsing and spinning properly as it was only spinning in one direction and at a low RPM with loud groaning noise emanating from the machine. As per UC technician, the gear was likely broken and needed to be replaced. Estimate given was between 5-7k. This lead to the decision to finally upgrade to the IFB.

Hopefully, the IFB proves to be a good machine. Anyone else here owns this machine?

P.S. Those looking at LG 9kg machines, please inspect this in person as the machine is not as deep as similar load limit offerings from competition. This was a huge bummer as I had managed to get a great deal for a 9kg LG Front load with AI and Thin Q for 28.5k from Amazon after offers and exchange. Ultimately ended up cancelling the order and bought IFB instead after having a look at the mahcine at a local Reliance Digital.

Can't stress enough on how important it is to go and check the machine you intent on buying in person. Online deals can lead you to a machine which might not fit your needs. I almost fell for this trap as well.

Delivery is scheduled for tomorrow but no update on IFB website outside of status still reading - Processing.
Can you post a photo of the underside as shown here

Let's see whether ifb's drum is sealed or not.
I am upgrading from a 10+ year old Samsung top load with capacity of10.5kg. Had some issues with it over the past 12-18 months but a few weeks back it stopped rinsing and spinning properly as it was only spinning in one direction and at a low RPM with loud groaning noise emanating from the machine. As per UC technician, the gear was likely broken and needed to be replaced. Estimate given was between 5-7k. This lead to the decision to finally upgrade to the IFB.
The fix is 5-7k yet you chose to spend 34k on a new machine. Why?
P.S. Those looking at LG 9kg machines, please inspect this in person as the machine is not as deep as similar load limit offerings from competition. This was a huge bummer as I had managed to get a great deal for a 9kg LG Front load with AI and Thin Q for 28.5k from Amazon after offers and exchange. Ultimately ended up cancelling the order and bought IFB instead after having a look at the mahcine at a local Reliance Digital.
A 56cm LG is only five litres or so less volume than a belt driven IFB or other options. It's an acceptable compromise for a better engineered machine.

I'd have gone with the LG over the IFB. Also I see no point going with a 9kg over an 8kg LG when the features are the same. The drum is the same volume for both.
Can't stress enough on how important it is to go and check the machine you intent on buying in person. Online deals can lead you to a machine which might not fit your needs. I almost fell for this trap as well.
Agreed

If you were confused why didn't you ask first :)

As far as I'm concerned the issue is never too much information but a lack thereof which ends up costing you later. There's all sorts of little details that go into it. Eg. I've told people to avoid tinted front windows as they obscure your view. Yet every high end model comes with it

The alternative is 20+ threads asking the same question with answers strewn all over the place. That would be worse than one thread that answers everything.

Last edited:
@blr_p Multiple fixes over the past 12-18 months. Broken door, detoriating wash quality, no warranty on the fix etc lead me to buy a new one.

The tinted window was something that I had read about but like you said, for whatever reason most top models are coming with tinted glass doors. No way getting around it.

LG had 2 years default warranty and IFB comes with 4 years. The shallow drum on the LG put me off it even though I like their ThinQ integration as I own their OLED TV's and ACs. Ended up going with IFB as it was the most economical (if there is such a thing when spending so much) option in the 10kg category. Both LG and Samsung options were much more expensive.

The other option that I was exploring was a washer/dryer combo from LG and IFB. Mixed reviews from owners made me decide against it.

Also there was no reason to ask anything here since the last 30 odd pages covered pretty much everything, much of it thanks to you.

I will try and take a picture of the underside when the installation happens over the week once the machine is delivered. The machine has two holes at the bottom where the rat covers needs to be installed so I should be able to get a good look.
Any leads on where I can sell my old washing machine. Scrap or otherwise.

Last edited:
In the US, drum volume is mentioned upfront in cubic feet in the title itself. This gave me the idea to look for it and to my surprise I found no company lists the volume of the drum in their specs. Dimensions of the machine, yes but no drum volume.

If there is a rant to have about this industry it is the lack of information of this critical parameter. It has to be measured manually :banghead:

There are volume differences between weight categories which I consider useless and misleading as the weight category increases over time but volume does not. The size thing is something I've banged on for years.

My 8yr LG front loader is a 7kg of volume 56 litres. These days you need a 8kg to match. When I was looking I measured the drum volumes in the store and then created cardboard models to really understand whether I needed bigger or not. It's only when I filled those models with laundry I finally understood why bigger is better and the extra cost, 8k dearer, was worth it.

There is no difference in drum volume from 8-10kg.The next volume increase is at 12kg.

The same is the case with top loaders where the difference is more critical as wash quality depends on it.

@L33TWiZaRd Post the dimensions of your drum. Depth and diameter in cm. You will have to measure manually.

The other thing to determine is whether IFB has auto weight detection. Your model has this AI feature which claims to do so in the manual on pg. 30 (see attached). Whether time to complete the Cottons cycle changes when tested with an empty drum vs. One with clothes. Half full and full load?

IFB hides this lack of weight detection well. You don't even think to ask as its a given on Korean machines. Yet the lower end IFB's all have this time saver option. Seems useful until you realise the Koreans have no such option because they don't need it.
The tinted window was something that I had read about but like you said, for whatever reason most top models are coming with tinted glass doors. No way getting around it.
This?

https://www.amazon.in/LG-Inverter-Fully-Automatic-FHV1408Z2M-Technology/dp/B0BBMX3NNF/?th=1

8kg is good enough for a family. If you look at higher weight categories the tinted doors come in.

Attachments

• Ifb weight detection.png
    Ifb weight detection.png
    87.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Can you measure the drum diameter and depth in cm of your current machine and post here?
Will try to do that tomorrow.
Two things missing in that model. No prewash option evident by how small the drawer is and no timer so you have no idea when the wash completes which is ridiculous. Avoid.

I really doubt it has weight detection. But then neither does your present machine.
It does state weight detection in one of the images but no timer is a big no so I'll pass on that one.
How long does it take to do a full load vs. A light load?
No idea about that but I think for light load there's a 15 minute mode or something like that
This is a mimimum 10 yr investment. Up your budget and get something better than you have at present

The 7kg LG's will be too small. Depth of these machines is 46cm. With LG due to the direct drive depth should be 56cm minimum.

There is a base model 8kg available for little more than 30k though

The UI is quite basic here compared to the other LG I recommended
I won't be able to measure drum size while buying in a store, I'll finalize model then ask LG support for that specification later on. Also are there any new 2023 models. I think the ones you posted are 2022 models. Purchase plan has been postponed by 10 days so there's plenty of time to choose now.

No idea about that but I think for light load there's a 15 minute mode or something like that
Doesn't your present machine have a timer?

15 minutes is the express wash which you shouldn't be using for washing.
I won't be able to measure drum size while buying in a store, I'll finalize model then ask LG support for that specification later on.
Of course you can. And I meant for the IFB models you were interested in. Don't depend on support for this info. They have no idea.
Also are there any new 2023 models. I think the ones you posted are 2022 models.
I don't see any in the weight categories recommended. Ask in the store and note down the model numbers.
Purchase plan has been postponed by 10 days so there's plenty of time to choose now.
When you decide post a link first before pulling the trigger

This variant is not available at my pincode. The one that is available is this one: LG 9 Kg 5 Star Wi-Fi Inverter AI Direct Drive Fully-Automatic Front Load Washing Machine with In-Built Heater (FHP1209Z5M, 6 Motion DD & Steam for Hygiene Wash, Middle Black) https://amzn.eu/d/5ZzdyYc

If I am correct, the one you linked is an earlier model which goes upto to 1400RPM whereas the one I linked is from a few years ago and goes up to 1200RPM.

Not sure if there are any other major differences between the two.

So do you reckon the LG one would be better than the IFB I ordered?

Doesn't your present machine have a timer?
No that was the part that got changed to analog from another model when it wasn't working. Now there's only the rotary dial or may be there was no timer, I'm not sure about it.
15 minutes is the express wash which you shouldn't be using for washing.

Of course you can. And I meant for the IFB models you were interested in. Don't depend on support for this info. They have no idea.

I don't see any in the weight categories recommended. Ask in the store and note down the model numbers.

When you decide post a link first before pulling the trigger
Yes will do and I'll check with salesman for drum measurements when I visit.

This variant is not available at my pincode. The one that is available is this one: LG 9 Kg 5 Star Wi-Fi Inverter AI Direct Drive Fully-Automatic Front Load Washing Machine with In-Built Heater (FHP1209Z5M, 6 Motion DD & Steam for Hygiene Wash, Middle Black) https://amzn.eu/d/5ZzdyYc
Oh so that's why you went with the 9kg. Did you see it in a store and was the door clear or tinted?

Is this the reason you went with a 10kg IFB as well?
If I am correct, the one you linked is an earlier model which goes upto to 1400RPM whereas the one I linked is from a few years ago and goes up to 1200RPM.

Not sure if there are any other major differences between the two.
Faster rpm means thicker gauge drum steel and stronger spider. But I think this will be more the case between 1,000 & 1,400 rpm
So do you reckon the LG one would be better than the IFB I ordered?
Better in terms of what and whether it matters to you is the question.

In terms of overall engineering, yes. The direct drive will be quieter. The spider will be stronger as well. Relatively speaking. I'm not saying IFB's spider is weak.

LG's touchscreen not so much. Your chosen IFB to my surprise doesn't use a touchscreen but has buttons so that's a plus point over the LG.

Wash quality with a registered patent for 6 motion over IFB's, 9 swirl? Yes, by a hair.

Both have steam.

Tinted door on the IFB over the clear glass of the LG. But older executive models (just 8 months back) came with a clear door. Note how it has a touchscreen and not buttons like yours. Quite maddening how quickly ifb turns over their models with important fascia changes. No AI with this model and the Cottons cycle defaults to 2h48 (!) instead of 1h50 like yours. Maybe this is the AI in action.

The IFB has wifi and can be voice controlled and remotely monitored. If that matters. LG also has wifi enabled machines. I didn't see the use of it so the recommended LG doesn't have it.

IFB has this pullout tray in the detergent drawer that is explicitly designed for liquid detergent use since IFB also sells liquid detergent. I don't think this tray is there on the LG. With tray and liquid detergent you can use the prewash and/or soak options without the liquid detergent running into the machine as would happen with the LG. This means if you want to use prewash on the LG you have to stick to powder. Not a biggie for me.

The IFB offers a warm soak option which isn't there in the LG. Prewash is faster and uses motion which is how LG does it. The IFB has prewash too. I don't know why you need prewash and soak but it's there and can be set consecutively. On top loaders soak is practical as you can't dump out the larger amount of water used. So maybe it's a legacy thing carried over to front loaders.

The cottons program defaults to 1h50 on empty. He then adds prewash, warm soak, an extra rinse and the estimated time reaches 3h. Then he engages the time saver option and total time drops to 1h47 with all options still engaged. That's quite a reduction. IFB says the option is there for lightly soiled clothes. Here's the thing. Lightly soiled means clothes sat in your cupboard for many months. Once clothes contact the skin they are classed as medium soil. So the time saver option is redundant if you want your used clothes to be properly cleaned. But for marketing reasons its there because some will complain it's taking too long otherwise especially those coming from a top loader or those facing multiple power cuts.

This option to cut time isn't there on the LG and I don't see it as an advantage to have. I want the clothes clean and generally not in a hurry. On empty it shows 1h10 whereas a full load is 2h30 on the LG with loads in between using intermediate times between those two limits.

The clincher for you is the larger size of the IFB drum isn't it? If that's what you want then go with the IFB. If the slightly smaller drum on the LG isn't a problem then that's also an option.

Last edited:
The clincher for you is the larger size of the IFB drum isn't it? If that's what you want then go with the IFB. If the slightly smaller drum on the LG isn't a problem then that's also an option.
Thank you for your inputs. Clincher is the drum size and longer warranty on the IFB.

Price difference is about 6k, with IFB being more expensive.

IFB order is still processing so can cancel and order the LG. Never thought that I would be over thinking a washing machine purchase in this manner :arghh:

IFB order is still processing so can cancel and order the LG.
Why? You've thought this through and if 6k more gets you the bigger machine then that is your first choice. Don't think about the extra cost but what you get for it.

The only thing that puts me off with this IFB is the tinted door. As your first front loader I think it's important you be able to see at a glance what's happening. You will have to use a good torch I guess. IFB models with a clear glass are less capable then the model you have chosen. Could there be an option to swap out that tinted panel for a clear one in the future? Maybe. If they build these machines here and earlier models have it then a clear outer glass panel should be available.

So long as you get service with IFB you should be fine. Where are you based btw?
I am upgrading from a 10+ year old Samsung top load with capacity of10.5kg.
Go with the IFB. I have a feeling the LG is going to feel too small for you. It isn't but it will feel like that and you will regret not getting the bigger machine which is your first instinct.

Had you not come from a bigger machine then the LG would be preferable.

Last edited:
The only thing that puts me off with this IFB is the tinted door.

So long as you get service with IFB you should be fine. Where are you based btw?

Go with the IFB. I have a feeling the LG is going to feel too small for you. It isn't but it will feel like that and you will regret not getting the bigger machine which is your first instinct.

Had you not come from a bigger machine then the LG would be preferable.

Thanks. Sticking with the IFB, it has now been shipped. Delivery and installation should happen tomorrow (hopefully).

I am based in Gurgaon. So service should not be an issue.

I am not too worried about the tinted glass as we have had 5/6kg Philips front loader in the past before we moved to the bigger Samsung top loader. However, will check with the IFB tech who will come for installation if there is indeed an option to swap it out for a clear glass door. (However, not really a priority atm).

Do you know of any reliable outlet to sell my old Samsung Machine? I am only getting offers for purchase in scrap for around 1-1.5k at best. Wondering, if I can get anymore.

Back