Front loading or top loading washing machine?

Edit2: Will a FL work on very low water pressure? Don't want to spend extra on booster pumps which just becomes another point of failure in the long run.
It doesn't matter. FL, TL both have same mechanism for taking water. In my opinion, you won't need booster pump for FL.

It doesn't matter. FL, TL both have same mechanism for taking water. In my opinion, you won't need booster pump for FL.
Well, he's got one now and it's a good idea since it used to take forever to fill. He should have got it a long time ago. Not too expensive and it's noiseless apparently. I never heard of a noiseless pump before :woot:
May I know if there's a reasonable difference between the two 8kg LG machines available at these two links other than cost (32.5k vs 38k)?

As far as I can see it's just that the more expensive model has AI driving the drum, and a few more wash programs which no one would select anyway. I saw some people in this thread bought the AI model, so if you could let me know why you opted for the AI one I would be grateful!
White models will be cheaper than other colours so look for those. Unless you just happen to like 'blek'

The difference from what he said is a full load completes in less time than a machine without AI. Just over an hour for a full load compared to the nearly 3 hours it takes on mine. Not complaining as three hours is normal for a full load and the results are excellent. I have this on delayed start to be ready first thing in the morning so the clothes can go out and a day later they are dry given the high humidity. Also less chance of power cuts at night so my washes complete without problem.

I still find this reduced time hard to believe so more data points are needed. How about another update @benryu now that you did more full loads :)

As for why he opted for it, I think he wanted something a little better than the plain jane models I recommended earlier. Unless he says otherwise I think you should consider the AI too. Steam is less useful than this AI which is rebranding for its neural nets. Avoid tinted front glass models and Wifi is optional.

Last edited:
Well, he's got one now and it's a good idea since it used to take forever to fill. He should have got it a long time ago. Not too expensive and it's noiseless apparently. I never heard of a noiseless pump before :woot:
Oh good.

Talking about FL:
It takes what, 15 liters per cycle?
And no water error usually takes 3 minutes to trigger, right?
So even if the water pressure is low, the machine should have all the water in 3 minutes anyway, right?

That's why I think, FL is a better choice when the water pressure is low.

It takes what, 15 liters per cycle?
5 litres for the wash cycle. 15 for the rinse cycle
And no water error usually takes 3 minutes to trigger, right?
So even if the water pressure is low, the machine should have all the water in 3 minutes anyway, right?
Depends on the cycle and how low the water pressure is. Also depends on the machine and how flexible. Machines adapted to the Indian environment or with experience will be more forgiving than ones that try to sell here expecting EU municipal water pressures at a minimum of 1 bar.
That's why I think, FL is a better choice when the water pressure is low.
A FL is always a better choice for washing clothes.

Decided to try out pre-wash with a liquid detergent. Bad idea on my machine. The liquid detergent which I poured into the main drawer nicely flowed into the machine when the pre-wash cycle began and well, that only lasts a few minutes and then it refills again. So the detergent intended for the main cycle got wasted. I knew because the room started smelling nice as the prewash began and it was too late at that point.

The reason is my machine does not come with these separate removable drawer attachments for liquid. Had I used powder with pre-wash it would have been fine.

If I did not use pre-wash then liquid would be fine too. But not those two options together. On my machine.

It happened the same in my case. The prewash lasted 10 mins and it threw the detergent out. I was hoping it would keep the water and the detergent for the main wash but I was only kidding myself!!

Depends on the cycle and how low the water pressure is.
No matter how low is the water pressure, 3 minutes are enough to take 5 liters, right?

The prewash lasted 10 mins and it threw the detergent out. I was hoping it would keep the water and the detergent for the main wash but I was only kidding myself!!
One reason that machine have pre-wash is to quickly take away dirt from super soiled clothes so that it doesn't damage other clothes during the main wash.

No matter how low is the water pressure, 3 minutes are enough to take 5 liters, right?
I suppose but too low of a pressure won't wash the detergent away properly. If it's powder it can clump and not mix properly. Now that I think about it this is probably what @technofast discovered in the drain pump trap with Ariel. His water pressure is low for a number of reasons. Maybe consider getting a pump that @6pack got. it will increase pressure to 1 bar
One reason that machine have pre-wash is to quickly take away dirt from super soiled clothes so that it doesn't damage other clothes during the main wash.
It's to remove the soil, wet the clothes and the detergent gets a new clean batch of water to work with making cleaning more effective. Nothing to do with damage.

I don't use pre-wash very often. I will try powder next time.

The fix for liquid requires a shallow rectangular tray with a lip, I will have to improvise one that can hold 40 ml

Last edited:
@blr_p , do any of the Indian top loading washing machines have that function of circulating clothes from top to bottom of the drum like shown in a video you posted sometime back. I remember there was a yellow or red towel in that video that went all over the place in the washing machine.

@blr_p , do any of the Indian top loading washing machines have that function of circulating clothes from top to bottom of the drum like shown in a video you posted sometime back. I remember there was a yellow or red towel in that video that went all over the place in the washing machine.
heh, they all claim to do so.

That was Eugene's 6 motion video, sped up 8x to show wash action. The tub was filled with clothes no more than 50%.

In theory, @terence_fdes should be able to make a video like that. He's the only one on the board with a 6-motion top-load washer :)

If you ball up the clothes when loading instead of laying them flat then you will get better wash action.

The LG he reviews is 5 cu.ft in volume which is about 2.5x larger than yours. I don't think tub volume matters too much provided the impeller diameter to tub diameter ratio is high. 70% and more will have better wash action than say 50%.
I don't use pre-wash very often. I will try powder next time.
Tried the prewash with powder and it worked just fine. As expected the powder did not flow in during the pre-wash cycle as the liquid did. Another plus point for powder here

Last edited:
If you ball up the clothes when loading instead of laying them flat then you will get better wash action.
Won't the inside of the clothes not get cleaned properly then? I've noticed the machine only fills enough water to the top of the clothes and the drum and impeller rotate in opposite directions. Not much movement in clothes. Shouldn't the clothes be submerged in water completely?

Won't the inside of the clothes not get cleaned properly then?
I usually turn clothes inside out for washing. What balling up does is it keeps the clothes separate from others so they should move more. The idea came from a repair tech which I found interesting. Real common sense take. I've never seen any videos where people did that. They just lay them one on top and nothing moves, just rotation.
I've noticed the machine only fills enough water to the top of the clothes and the drum and impeller rotate in opposite directions. Not much movement in clothes.
How much are you loading in terms of the percentage of the drum?

Movement is also going to depend on the size of the clothes. I would expect less with bedsheets say compared to smaller clothes.
Shouldn't the clothes be submerged in water completely?
Yes they should be, that way they will move more easily

Last edited:
How much are you loading in terms of the percentage of the drum?
A little less than half the drum height. Around 20% to 30%.

Guess I'll have to manually select water level judging by the amount of clothes. Right now the machine is choosing very less water levels probably according to weight of the clothes. So clothes are not fully submerged in water but like washing in half a bucket type submerged.

A little less than half the drum height. Around 20% to 30%.

Guess I'll have to manually select water level judging by the amount of clothes. Right now the machine is choosing very less water levels probably according to weight of the clothes. So clothes are not fully submerged in water but like washing in half a bucket type submerged.
How's the cleaning?

To be frank, not as good as the previous machine. I miss the soak option of the old machine where it soaked the clothes for 10-60 minutes (we set that time) and it gives the clothes a turn every 4-5 minutes for half a minute. All sweat smell, mud stains during rainy season, etc would wash away easily with that soak time. No need to manually find out where the stains are and rub soap on them.

Right now, the clothes don't smell nice and fresh and there's not much soap smell from them. Maybe I should start soaking the clothes by pausing the machine.

To be frank, not as good as the previous machine.
Presumably with the same detergent and quantity. How are you adding the detergent?

Into the drum or the drawer. Was that the same way you added it with the last one.
I miss the soak option of the old machine where it soaked the clothes for 10-60 minutes (we set that time) and it gives the clothes a turn every 4-5 minutes for half a minute. All sweat smell, mud stains during rainy season, etc would wash away easily with that soak time. No need to manually find out where the stains are and rub soap on them.

Right now, the clothes don't smell nice and fresh and there's not much soap smell from them. Maybe I should start soaking the clothes by pausing the machine.
Sweat & mud are heavily soiled, a plain wash isn't going to be enough to get the clothes clean

Why not use the pre-wash option? this is how LG substitutes soak. No need to wait for an hour of soak if 8 minutes will do it.

LG top load prewash.jpg

Last edited:
Presumably with the same detergent and quantity. How are you adding the detergent?
Yes. I'm dissolving the detergent powder in warm water first and then adding to the water in the tub after it fills up.
Into the drum or the drawer. Was that the same way you added it with the last one.
Last one i added it directly into the water in the drum since the machine used a large amount of water. Now the new machine uses about 1/3 of water in each round compared to old machine. So the same amount of detergent should give better wash since it's stronger.

If i add the detergent to the tray it falls in clothes and leaves stains and bleaches coloured clothes here and there. I think these powders all have some slow dissolving bleach particles in them.

I tried the pre wash and i have doubts if it actually works. I think I will get better results by just pausing the machine for 10-15 minutes and letting the clothes soak in water.

Yes. I'm dissolving the detergent powder in warm water first and then adding to the water in the tub after it fills up.

Last one i added it directly into the water in the drum since the machine used a large amount of water. Now the new machine uses about 1/3 of water in each round compared to old machine. So the same amount of detergent should give better wash since it's stronger.
No connection. Detergency does not depend on the amount of water. It depends on load size, water hardness and soil level. You dose according to those three parameters when using a branded pH balanced detergent.
If i add the detergent to the tray it falls in clothes and leaves stains and bleaches coloured clothes here and there. I think these powders all have some slow dissolving bleach particles in them.
Surprised to hear this because the only conceivable bleach they could have is oxygen bleach. And my tests have shown no detergents sold in India of the few I've tested contain any whatsoever. Even when they claim to have 'oxy power'. Increases the cost for no benefit. Detergents is a cut-throat industry.

The test is simple. 5gm in a thermos flask, add boiling water slowly and listen for a fizz and foam. You will see nothing. Try that with Vanish for a comparison to understand what should happen and you will see the difference.

I think what you are seeing is the result of hard water. I thought with the pump there would be no trouble getting the detergent to dissolve from the drawer as designed. There should be no need to be mixing detergent in warm water unless your tap water is cold. And then i see this

best washing result.jpg
They recommend this when using the 'Energy Saving Course'. I don't know what that this. But if you are using this setting then I think wash performance isn't going to be optimal.

How much energy can you save with a machine that does not have a heater? heh, I guess some people want this sort of thing at the expense of cleaning performance.

To enter this 'energy saving course' there are very specific settings that need to be picked. No way you will get there in normal use.

Top load detergent is known to take longer to dissolve than say front load because the granules are larger but I did not think it would be an issue considering there is more water and enough time to mix.

I tried the pre wash and i have doubts if it actually works. I think I will get better results by just pausing the machine for 10-15 minutes and letting the clothes soak in water.
Try it and see if it makes a difference. Just that its more hassle as now you have to return to unpause it.

Does setting soil to heavy from normal help? these machines are assuming light to medium soiling by people that are mostly sedentary. With little capacity to handle heavy soiling.

Last edited:
Surprised to hear this because the only conceivable bleach they could have is oxygen bleach. And my tests have shown no detergents sold in India of the few I've tested contain any whatsoever. Even when they claim to have 'oxy power'. Increases the cost for no benefit.
Then it's probably detergent that didn't dissolve properly due to the hard water. Even after two three washes the white spots were still there on the tshirt like the color had faded in that area.

I think what you are seeing is the result of hard water. I thought with the pump there would be no trouble getting the detergent to dissolve from the drawer as designed. There should be no need to be mixing detergent in warm water unless your tap water is cold.
Probably. But such a thing never happened in the old machine because the old machine used plenty of water.
Top load detergent is known to take longer to dissolve than say front load because the granules are larger but I did not think it would be an issue considering there is more water and enough time to mix.
Like I said before the new machine is extremely stingy with water for some reason. I have to pause and manually increase the water level every time for the clothes to move a bit freely in the drum. If i add the detergent in tray when there's hardly any water for clothes to move around, how well do you think the detergent would dissolve?
The other way i can do this is to first fill the tub to level 4 with water and then add detergent to it and let the detergent dissolve and then add clothes. Too much hassle.
It doesn't take more than a minute to heat up 500ml of water to 80C on an induction stove. It's enough to completely dissolve the detergent.
Try it and see if it makes a difference. Just that its more hassle as now you have to return to unpause it.
Tried it, and it's better than doing normally. It makes clothes smell fresher now. Not placebo, have been doing it past 3 times and got good results.
no, I'm not using the energy saving course.
Does setting soil to heavy from normal help? these machines are assuming light to medium soiling by people that are mostly sedentary. With little capacity to handle heavy soiling.
Tried that jeans setting. Hardly made any difference. It just washed and rinsed extra. I noticed the manual doesn't say anything about washing blankets/ bed sheets. So I washed the blankets in the prewash+ normal mode and paused for 10 mins and they came out clean. In normal mode they didn't clean so well. There was lint on a blanket in some places.

Then it's probably detergent that didn't dissolve properly due to the hard water. Even after two three washes the white spots were still there on the tshirt like the color had faded in that area.
It's not bleaching, it just dissolved detergent residue. You use a white powder so it looks faded. If you used a blue powder it would leave blue stains. The reason these stains persist is the low temperature washes. How to remove these stains? a higher temperature wash should hopefully clear them.
Probably. But such a thing never happened in the old machine because the old machine used plenty of water.
A common complaint from people who change their machines after many years and these new environmental regulations just screw with your expectation of the way things worked.
Like I said before the new machine is extremely stingy with water for some reason. I have to pause and manually increase the water level every time for the clothes to move a bit freely in the drum.
Let's fix this stinginess, quite easy in your case with a top loader. Fool the machine into thinking the load is heavier than it really is :woot:

What to do? wet the clothes after you add them to the machine. Do this slowly as the lady in this video explains and then choose whatever program. It will use a higher water level. You will have to adjust the amount of water you add to your tastes.
Tried it, and it's better than doing normally. It makes clothes smell fresher now. Not placebo, have been doing it past 3 times and got good results.
Interesting. Just a fifteen minute soak makes the difference.
Tried that jeans setting. Hardly made any difference. It just washed and rinsed extra. I noticed the manual doesn't say anything about washing blankets/ bed sheets. So I washed the blankets in the prewash+ normal mode and paused for 10 mins and they came out clean. In normal mode they didn't clean so well. There was lint on a blanket in some places.
Oh, I forgot there is no soil setting on your machine

Last edited:
Back