• Yes

Votes: 56 87.5%
  • No

Votes: 8 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

swatkats

Skilled
India's biggest online retailer Flipkart is taking a stand against foreign direct investment in its sector, saying allowing it will benefit "only one company", a not-soveiled reference to Amazon.

"The only e-commerce player that will benefit from such a move is a company which is already operating in India as a marketplace and wants to enter the country through an inventory based model," said a spokeswoman for Flipkart.

Read more at:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...ofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

Flipkart is interested in monopolization. Not competition. Amazon was just an Marketplace from an year and dented your profits and sales in a huge way.
They're Fearing they would do losses if amazon seriously enters with all the huge money.
Flipkart likes bringing money through illegal means as funding and when amazon wants to bring in a legal manner. They obstruct.

Dear bansals, Is it not true:
- That you jack up the prices and sell it at the same price it was a day before Discount Sale or GOSF?
- Bought Letsbuy Sensing competition.. Killed competition.
- Purchased Myntra, Sensing threat to their fashion business? Even though they say its in terms of financial by common investors.. Doesn't look like it. I doubt there would be any competitive pricing from myntra now on.
- Delete Customers Reviews in order to cover up your poor delivery standards sometimes? and Write fake reviews even without product shipping out of Inventory to promote SEO?
- Your customer service has deteriorated and consumers have started looking towards alternatives like Snapdeal and Amazon.
- COPY and Clone business models of Amazon.
- 80% of your funding is foreign funding and yet you dislike FDI in Ecomm.

E-commerce business in India is not your Dad's Jaagir.
Face competition or Go Bankrupt!

Last edited:
Err. Flipkart is running a business not a charity FFS.

I am quite sure 99/100 CEO would have done atleast what Bansals have done if not more.

You're not understanding the point here.
When they bring foreign money(precisely 80+% of their funding) through illegal ways.. it is fair and when someone wants to do it legally its Unfair.
I understand that acquisitions are all part of game.

IMO, it is not illegal but using flaw in rule/law. If there are few holes in bucket, water will flow through it and find it's way.

Also coming to other point, why are we looking so happy for a foreign company getting permissions and let them take away our money in dollars ? In short term it looks that we the consumer will be benefited but what in long term ? Once local competition is killed, they can make us dance on their own tunes. I know FK not complete clean. But at-least it is of Indian origin. FDI seems easy route to get foreign investments but better option will be creating basic infrastructure in India, let manufacturing sector grow and be driving factor behind economy.

These are just my views, may or may not match with others.

Also coming to other point, why are we looking so happy for a foreign company getting permissions and let them take away our money in dollars ?

my view is that indians are chor and they need to learn how to serve customers. so, foreign companies should be given a chance. there was a time when our pathetic govt forced us to buy cars from 2~3 indian manufacturers only. when the world was getting safer by using seat belts, we indians were made to feel happy driving in bench seats.

Indians can't learn to do better unless they are taught by foreigners. :meh: I feel 99% of Indians who have travelled abroad don't honk unnecessarily. Just one trip to a 1st world country and chivalry starts to ooze from our every hole... we learn to say thanks 100 times in a day and start holding doors for people, esp ladies! :rolleyes:

I was hoping IKEA to set shop in india but it met the same fate as Walmart. We just want to support our 'small' local businesses, who are nothing but 'big' time chors. Didn't you notice how Mr Avi it trying to teach a lesson to a small time no-name company for a Rs150 breadboard? Would he have to waste his time if he was dealing with a 'foreign' company? Indians need to learn how to service others and there's no better way than to learn from a foreign company.

MOD EDIT: Quote tags corrected.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have got some questions here as I don't have much knowledge on the matter.

- This will probably help customers right? but many will be opposing this aswell right? except the competition, is there any other reason to oppose this?

- There was a message circulating in whatsapp, I don't know if it came officially from Modi or not, but the message said that Modi wants people to buy india company's stuff and then dollar rates will come down. If here Modi is allowing FDI in e-commerce, won't this do bad for our country? I know it will benefit customers like us but then again, this has the potential to raise dollar more right? as imports from other countries will increase by this?

- Is Modi doing this may because some foreign company probably helped him with funding prior the elections and he is doing this as a favor ? I'm just guessing here, don't bash me up as I support modi :)

my view is that indians are chor and they need to learn how to serve customers. so, foreign companies should be given a chance. there was a time when our pathetic govt forced us to buy cars from 2~3 indian manufacturers only. when the world was getting safer by using seat belts, we indians were made to feel happy driving in bench seats.

Indians can't learn to do better unless they are taught by foreigners. :meh: I feel 99% of Indians who have travelled abroad don't honk unnecessarily. Just one trip to a 1st world country and chivalry starts to ooze from our every hole... we learn to say thanks 100 times in a day and start holding doors for people, esp ladies! :rolleyes:

Not really that we all are conniving and thieves....! :)

It is really not in our culture to be courteous to strangers for business transactions. If someone is a guest in the house, we lay out the works (something which foreigners really do not do), but out on the streets India is literally a battle-ground. Graft, one-upmanship in a deal, short-fall honesty stems from the dog-eat-dog ideology we are all taught from childhood. This is obvious and pertinent since India == 1B+ people. Aggravating this situation is the hive culture we indulge in. Name a societal border, and India discriminates and fences populace, egged on by politicians and Bollywood at the same time. We Indians love to separate / ear-mark each other, while singing out the Incredible Diversity of our Nation. It is laughable and hypocritical bundled into one..!

I agree: Going to the Western world is shocking the first time. People are honest, amicable, and courteous. We lack these virtues, and will never acquire them as normal nature, not even second nature. Our streets are a jungle (read online business too) but homes are a comfortable paradise.

I have got some questions here as I don't have much knowledge on the matter.

- This will probably help customers right? but many will be opposing this aswell right? except the competition, is there any other reason to oppose this?

- There was a message circulating in whatsapp, I don't know if it came officially from Modi or not, but the message said that Modi wants people to buy india company's stuff and then dollar rates will come down. If here Modi is allowing FDI in e-commerce, won't this do bad for our country? I know it will benefit customers like us but then again, this has the potential to raise dollar more right? as imports from other countries will increase by this?

- Is Modi doing this may because some foreign company probably helped him with funding prior the elections and he is doing this as a favor ? I'm just guessing here, don't bash me up as I support modi :)

- For politicians, no other reason except for sake of opposing. BJP did it when Congress govt. was working on FDI. Now that BJP is in power, they working on the same thing they were opposing. For other businessmans, competition is only reason. Pure and simple.

- A) Don't trust what you read on social media such as Whatspp and Facebook. JUST DON'T. Have a laugh or two and move on.
B) That is not how currency rates work. And those companies pay more tax than Indian companies. So, contrary to what true rashtrabhakts say, buying stuff from phoren companies is good for our economy too.

- No idea. May or may not be true. Most probably not true. And I think that even though I don't support him.

And Jaitley had made such a good speech on impact of FDI in retail. I remember someone had put a YouTube vid of it in Aap or Indian political thread. Now they do 180deg turn.

Flipkart is interested in monopolization. Not competition. Amazon was just an Marketplace from an year and dented your profits and sales in a huge way.
They're Fearing they would do losses if amazon seriously enters with all the huge money.
Flipkart likes bringing money through illegal means as funding and when amazon wants to bring in a legal manner. They obstruct.

Now tell me what is wrong in that?
This, my friend, is known as lobbying. Everyone does that.

And to counter a monopoly of an Indian online retailer, you suggest that an American online retailer, who has a monopoly in pretty much the whole world should enter.
So here's the verdict. You are not against monopolization. You are against a monopoly of Flipkart.

^
Couldn't you tell that from rest of his post?

And retailers like WalMart have already turned away from India. How much more they should play by our rules (including unspoken rules like corruption) if in the end they will say 'sod this' and abandon their effort to setup business here?

Back