Car & Bike First Car for a First time driver

My vote goes for Linea.
It is the most solid built car out there in your price segment. I am a little biased towards Fiat since we have a Palio for the last 11 years now. Having said that it has been 11 trouble free years and the engine is still rock solid. Since you don't have any issues with petrol prices, you won't have to worry about the one issue with Fiat cars i.e. low fuel efficiency.

One of my close friends has both - Linea and City and he swears by the build of the Linea. I remember him coming over to my house with his new City. I put my weight on the bonnet and it sank at the spot where my hand was. He was also in an accident where an Accord rammed into his passenger side door of the Linea. He still says that he is glad he wasn't in the City as his mom was in the passenger seat. The impact was big and his car was totally pushed on to the kerb by the impact. All he had to do was get the Linea's door changed. Even the airbags didn't open.
Having said all this, please research into FIAT's A.S.S in your area as that has been one of the bigger shortcomings of FIAT. They make quality cars with quality engines which can last a lifetime but lack a bit in maintenance services.

I am not fan of hatchback, they don't appeal me :(

Also, i am planning to stick to petrol car only, since i love to keep anything which i buy for a longggg period, so the car might stay for next 12-15 year or more with me :)

being a petrol engine, it will surely live that long life much easy :D

Another thing i should mention :D , i get petrol tanked up for free for every vehicle in my house, a close relative owns a pump and don't charge us :D, so no need of doing petrol vs diesel comparison :D
if its the case above , i would suggest a jetta TSI or a skoda laura vrs.

if short on cash , look for the linea t-jet

I got a Rapid diesel last october. It was my first car and probably one of the best cars out there even till now. I am driven around 17k so far and enjoyed every inch of it. I drive it to work every day (19 + 19 kms). So would definitely recommend a rapid to you. It's an awsome machine to own.

First Car for a First time driver :Tata Nano (Cheap, Easy to handle, abuse it and later upgrade)

Though after reading complete thread I feel you don't go the Techboi way Force is strong in you :p

^ still far away from my budget :(:(

hope once i reach my 30's, will be able to buy 3-series at that time :D

Anyway Mercedes A-Class is much better package that it according to me :p

Dicor is still available, but Storme is said to be much more improved Safari and the best one till date, also is based on X2 platform, the same as that of Aria :D

DICOR is available? Are u sure? TATA stopped production last year. Must be old stock no one wants then. Get it. Must be cheaper.

Only bad thing abt new safari is the back. I am a sucker for the exposed spare wheel mounts in back.

@m-jeri can you post some link saying that TATA has stopped production of dicor,

according to me, they are still in production and even the 2013 models are available in stock

Yes, Even I haven't checked the showroom but they are still supposed to be available. the looks and machoness of the old safari looks better, the newer one looks to be something similar to Tata Grande

For 70 kms a day travel, you would need a diesel car in the long run. You said you may have the car for next 10-15 years, then car has to be of good build quality and reliability. Generally the Japanese brands are very rel in the long run. With European brands like VW and Skoda you get top notch build quality but you would spend a lot for the car maintenance. So You should look at Brands such as Honda, Toyota for owning a car for very long time.
You could look cars such as Honda Amaze, Toyota Etios.
If you still want a Petrol Car, Go for Honda city it is one highly reliable cars in the market. You can still find First Generation Honda City cars in the market in perfect running conditions.

Back