Car & Bike First Car for a First time driver

Finally got admission for my PG, and yeah, classes starting from Sep 15, declared the news to my family, and the reply comes

"No more biking this season, you will go via car only else go via local bus:("

In graduation day, i used to travel 90+90km daily, in my ZMA :D, fell off the bike twice due to un-avoidable scene, still the bike use to run like a ninja ( with 0 dent and 0 scratch)and i love it from bottom of my heart :D

My mom has asking to for a big vehicle, like Safari or Xuv, since i will be travelling in highway only, but i don't think i can drive such big vehicle. Instead i am thinking of getting some sedan with proper safety features. There's a Alto in house, but i am not allowed to touch it, since its carries a emotional feeling to my mom.

So here comes the shortlisted car by me : (daily run will be 35+35km, new college)
1) Linea tjet > best engine, best looks avg interior
2) vento petrol > best interior, best looks,avg engine,
3) Rapid petrol> copy paste vento
4) Honda City> Good interior, good engine
5) Safari Storme/ XUV500 >

Most probably i will be getting the car during Navratra, So started doing some search before hand :D

Vento/Rapid Diesel - With 70km daily running, it makes no sense to buy a petrol car. Is CNG readily available there? the Honda City with preinstalled CNG would also be a good choice.
If you want an Suv'esque vehicle, instead of the XUV/Safari - you can consider the Duster/Ecosport. Would be easier to drive for a novice. Although there were some recall issues in Ecosport Diesel, not sure how serious it was.

Vento/Rapid Diesel - With 70km daily running, it makes no sense to buy a petrol car. Is CNG readily available there? the Honda City with preinstalled CNG would also be a good choice.
If you want an Suv'esque vehicle, instead of the XUV/Safari - you can consider the Duster/Ecosport. Would be easier to drive for a novice. Although there were some recall issues in Ecosport Diesel, not sure how serious it was.

Who said for 70km daily u need a diesel car? I am against that.

Running cost of diesel /km is ard 2.6rs
Running cost of petrol /km is ard 4.9rs or max 5rs/km..

Difference /km is close to 2.5rs....

Now difference between new petrol and diesel cars is ard 1.25l-1.5lakhs...

So that makes u need to drive atleast 60000 km to just cover ur extra cost over 5 years....

Then after that maintenance costs of diesels is higher than petrol.

Lastly u may/may not change your car but people these days change after 5 yrs so

Only buy deisel if u intend to run more than 1lakh km within 4 yrs or else go for a petrol always :)

Who said for 70km daily u need a diesel car? I am against that.

Running cost of diesel /km is ard 2.6rs
Running cost of petrol /km is ard 4.9rs or max 5rs/km..

Difference /km is close to 2.5rs....

Now difference between new petrol and diesel cars is ard 1.25l-1.5lakhs...

So that makes u need to drive atleast 60000 km to just cover ur extra cost over 5 years....

Then after that maintenance costs of diesels is higher than petrol.

Lastly u may/may not change your car but people these days change after 5 yrs so

Only buy deisel if u intend to run more than 1lakh km within 4 yrs or else go for a petrol always :)

but what about the Extra power Torque that diesel engine gives you :D

I am not fan of hatchback, they don't appeal me :(

Also, i am planning to stick to petrol car only, since i love to keep anything which i buy for a longggg period, so the car might stay for next 12-15 year or more with me :)

being a petrol engine, it will surely live that long life much easy :D

Another thing i should mention :D , i get petrol tanked up for free for every vehicle in my house, a close relative owns a pump and don't charge us :D, so no need of doing petrol vs diesel comparison :D

I am not fan of hatchback, they don't appeal me :(

Also, i am planning to stick to petrol car only, since i love to keep anything which i buy for a longggg period, so the car might stay for next 12-15 year or more with me :)

being a petrol engine, it will surely live that long life much easy :D

Another thing i should mention :D , i get petrol tanked up for free for every vehicle in my house, a close relative owns a pump and don't charge us :D, so no need of doing petrol vs diesel comparison :D

Best go for verna petrol 1.6

Thats a news man :happy: :headphone: if this is the case .......Go for Honda City. At Least I will do if I in your situation.

If Petrol, go with honda city eyes closed. The verna is good too but since ur gonna drive 70km daily, im assuming thats going to have a lot of highway driving. The verna's soft suspension is not a viable option whilst driving at high speeds.

oh wait u said first timer right??? Dezire or etios makes a lot of sense too...

Hyundai Verna is not much refined as said by many, as well as high speed road manner is not good :(

Regarding city, i am keeping is to option next to linea, the only problem with city is that, it comes with punny tyres, and lacks in features in comparison to Tjet :(

as suggested by @manu1991 , ecosport looks too much small and cramped to me, doest feel good to me (Anyway if i go for ecosport, it will be delivered within 24 hr any model :p in accordance to availability in stockyard)

Hyundai Verna is not much refined as said by many, as well as high speed road manner is not good :(

Regarding city, i am keeping is to option next to linea, the only problem with city is that, it comes with punny tyres, and lacks in features in comparison to Tjet :(

as suggested by @manu1991 , ecosport looks too much small and cramped to me, doest feel good to me (Anyway if i go for ecosport, it will be delivered within 24 hr any model :p in accordance to availability in stockyard)

Verna high speed problem ?
U want to go beyong 120 always ?
Its awesome car ....petrol engine is beast
Using the new VTVT 1.6
City average 14/15...
Highway gives 17+

Build quality is great...Mind one thing the car that comes in petrol and diesel both has better designed and rock solid chassis and bonnet as insulation is required for diesel's due to their noise and vibrations.

So build quality of Verna is top notch
(Either people are crazy as Verna has been the best selling car from past one year or People are wrong)

Its your wish to go for Verna or City.
Best of luck
I would advise to go and test drive and check all shortlisted cars before deciding any.

Last edited:
Bro you got ur info all mixed up. There is nothing wrong with the refinement of the verna. Its a Gem of a car and its sale figures reflect the same. The only issue is that cause of the soft suspension, at very high speeds the car tends to get a bit tricky. But if ur drive is mostly in city or at normal speeds, the car offers everything one would want or expect from a sedan.
What features does the city lack over the tjet? The city has a 15 inch wheel base, whats wrong with that or rather what is ur expectation? I wouldnt rank the linea as high and as good as you are claiming it to be. i know that to each their own, but once you talk about the verna and city, everything else in petrol falls behind.
If features is important to you, there aint a car in the 10l segment with more features than the verna. Anyways do mention what features u referring to///

I have test drive a ecosport. You will find my synopsis in an older thread. Its more spacious that the Linea and almost equal to the Verna. A lot more spacious than the Vento..

Have you actually tried or sat in any of these cars or are simply going by others recommendations??

Last edited:
Verna high speed problem ?
U want to go beyong 120 always ?
Its awesome car ....petrol engine is beast
Using the new VTVT 1.6
City average 14/15...
Highway gives 17+
I agree with everything you said above. A lil background, i have the city S and the verna AT. both petrol.
My verna till date (around 12000kms) avg is 13, my city in city with ac gives around 12.5/13, highway with a/c 17.

Verna avg is city + highway and mostly driven by dad. So dont really have a breakup between city and highway drive.

I agree with everything you said above. A lil background, i have the city S and the verna AT. both petrol.
My verna till date (around 12000kms) avg is 13, my city in city with ac gives around 12.5/13, highway with a/c 17.

Verna avg is city + highway and mostly driven by dad. So dont really have a breakup between city and highway drive.

Ur comparing manual with AT ?
Wrong bro...manual gearbox always give 2-3kmpl extra

Depends on driving conditions and style.

Arre i own both the cars. How can i be wrong when both the cars are in my garage and all i have to do is read the odometer.
Did u read my comment properly? My verna till date is 13, Honda city in city is 12.5/13 and on highway 17.

A 70 km daily commute and that too not accounting the trips you are going to take every now and then, and you are thinking about a petrol? Say what?

Go for a diesel, eyes closed man, would be a hell lot nicer on your wallet and the current diesel engines go toe to toe with the petrol ones in terms of longevity.

If i had to choose anything from that shortlist, I do go for the city considering the usage and the time length you wish to be with the car.

damm reading all your awesome comments, seems Linea should be ticked off :D

Regarding ecosport, i had sat in the car 4-5 times, didn't liked it much in comparison to other big sedans

now it seems to be verna vs City (damm Elantra also looks sexy, checking it)

Can anyone please, who owns petrol verna, comment on its engine + mileage figure, and also regarding scrapping base :D :D

@nishthecooldude , please sir help me, do you own verna ?

Back