Excitel Broadband - Comprehensive Review - 5Mbps - SDSL - Unlimited - no FUP

Is the modem included in the package?? Or do i have to pay for it separately ?
The guy who i have contacted is asking 1000 for single antenna router and 1500rs. for double antenna.

@manmath
Don't think anything of their online stuff is really working. I tried online grievance once and it took long time. You should call the local cable(number visible in pamphlets distributed) or visit them.

@raxy
No Modem is needed. You can just insert the cable directly but I don't think that's great from a safety standpoint, so you should use a router. You will also get WiFi with it. The Cable guys are probably overcharging for some model.

Connection is stable for me in terms of downtime. My TP-Link router is not stable, however. It's giving weird surges too so I have to connect through Wi-Fi. Packet loss and unstable speeds to some servers persists, though speeds are somehow improved in speedtest.net. I'm still getting slower image loading in less used image and webm services. You could use a VPN if you just need to stop packet loss.

The best thing about the connection is the youtube speed. 4k/2k yt actually looks better than Vimeo HD, and there is lot of great content. I've never had buffering even in vids with very less views. Though sometimes the player gets a very less speed and I have to simply refresh it and goes to normal. Though I don't find much difference between 2k and 4k vids on my hd monitor, and I don't have GPU to play 4k well. Don't think any other big ISP provides such peering. That said, I used to get OK HD playback on my 4mbps connection, so 2k youtube should work fine on a 10mbps connection itself.
I think a lower speed UL connection may be better than a high speed, very limited FUP one(like ACT). Excitel would perfect if the packet loss/speed problems are fixed.

@manmath
As suggested by r19, above, simply call the number stamped on the pamphlet spread out in your locality.

@raxy
This is a cable based internet, a modem is neither required nor can be used in conjunction with it. No modem (nor a router) is supplied along with the normal connection. That will have to be paid for, separately. My suggestion would be to buy a Netgear router separately from the market, yourself. That way you can keep the router and the internet connection separate and avoid hassles later on. Be advised, you need a router for this internet service provider, NOT a modem-router. If you have a modem-router already, by any chance, it could still work, but you would need to place the modem part of your router in the "bridged" mode. The local cable operators (not Excitel) try to fleece customers into thinking that they need to purchase a separate router to work with this internet connection and a modem-router will not work, but this is completely false.

@r19
I use a 10+ year old Netgear router. Still works as solid as it did the day I bought it. In my opinion and based on what I have noticed, Netgear blows off all other rivals / competitors, at least as far as residential networking equipment is concerned.

Hello all, i just installed excitel broadband..
Can any one tell me how to configure the router manually for this broadband?
I checked up with my cable wala.. and he told that only thing thats required is to choose ppoppe and then username and password, and then it will connect. but i am unable connect to internet.

Actually i was away when he made up the connection on my father's laptop, where he seems to have done some settings and made some dialup connection for connection.

Are there any other ipaddress related settings that need to be done?

Hello all, i just installed excitel broadband..
Can any one tell me how to configure the router manually for this broadband?
I checked up with my cable wala.. and he told that only thing thats required is to choose ppoppe and then username and password, and then it will connect. but i am unable connect to internet.

Actually i was away when he made up the connection on my father's laptop, where he seems to have done some settings and made some dialup connection for connection.

Are there any other ipaddress related settings that need to be done?

Hi,

These are the settings that work with Excitel:

Internet Service Provider: PPPoE
Login: yourlogin
Password: yourpassword

Service Name (IMPORTANT!): excitel

The service name is especially important, as without that, you wouldn't be able to connect to the internet. By the way, the service name is also case-sensitive; everything in lower case.

Found some more information about Excitel, which may be useful to someone:

Excitel Broadband Pvt. Ltd.
O-2, 2nd Floor, Lajpat Nagar - II Corporate Office, New Delhi
PAN No: AADCE9043K
Service Tax No: AADCE9043K-SD01
CIN: U63090DL2015PTC277612

Well hello there kind ser, would you share your tricks with us please?
There's no trick there. If you read the first post of this thread (and many others in this thread) you would find out that Excitel allows augmented speeds on YouTube / HotStar / TorBox.net and a few other places. Therefore, lets say normally I pay for a 5 Mbps connection, I would get 5 Mbps everywhere, but 20 Mbps instead, on the services described earlier.

There's no trick there. If you read the first post of this thread (and many others in this thread) you would find out that Excitel allows augmented speeds on YouTube / HotStar / TorBox.net and a few other places. Therefore, lets say normally I pay for a 5 Mbps connection, I would get 5 Mbps everywhere, but 20 Mbps instead, on the services described earlier.

I know that. I was referring to your Taxita screenshot which shows download @ 3.09 Mb/s. At 20 Mbps peering speed shouldn't it be a max 2.5 Mbps?

An update: Recently, due to prolonged rainfall, I encountered packet loss and intermittent disconnections on my Excitel internet connection. I registered a complaint at 011-33138963 at around 7:00 PM today evening, and the issues have now been fixed at 9:45 PM; there's no packet loss anymore and neither any intermittent disconnections. I can get back to binge watching YouTube videos at 2.5 MB/s (20 Mbps) :D

Last edited:
Multiple updates.

(1)

First of all, as @r19 mentioned, the internet tariff has been updated.
To begin with, all existing 5 Mbps connections have been upgraded to double their previous capacity, i.e. 10 Mbps and for this, the customer would need to pay just Rs. 40/- extra.

I mean, previously, customers were getting a maximum speed of 5 Mbps (20 Mbps augmented) for Rs 760/-, tax included. Now, the 5 Mbps plans have been removed and all customers have been moved onto the 10 Mbps plan (20 Mbps augmented), for which they would be paying Rs 800/- monthly (inclusive of all taxes) instead of Rs. 760/-.

Everything else is still the same. The connection is still SDSL. So you will still get 1 MB/s (10 Mbps) down AND up everywhere and on torrents, you would get 2.5 MB/s (20 Mbps).

Official post: https://www.facebook.com/excitel.ro...41828.311570572380383/531506793720092/?type=3

(2)

Furthermore, I would also like to bring Excitel's android app under the spotlight: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.subscriber.excitel
This is extremely important and useful! Trust me on this. I'll explain why. For example, lets say you're facing some issues with your Excitel internet connection and you tried calling on the customer care number, but its been busy for a long while and nobody would respond which would lead to you getting pissed off, right? Well, you can avoid exactly that by installing Excitel's android app.

The actions or effects that you can warrant by calling the customer care number of Excitel can be done yourself by using the app mentioned above, and starting a "new case" as they call it. Its basically the same as creating a ticket, for those of you who might be aware of the term. And the best thing is that this is the same thing that the customer care employees do, when you call them up. However, there's always the possibility of missing out on the expert troubleshooting by **some** of their customer care officials, since some of them are really skilled, as I have noticed in the past.

Official post: https://www.facebook.com/excitel.rocks/posts/521033348100770

(3)

They have a toll-free customer care number now, which is: 1-800-419-0616. They also seem to have improved and revamped their customer care experience, so lets see how it turns out to be.

Official post: https://www.facebook.com/excitel.rocks/posts/531174093753362

Haven't had the opportunity to use the new customer care number yet, since there are no issues at the moment with my internet connection and its as right as rain. :D

My Excitel Internet connection just got over, and I'm on "grace period". Do they charge extra for this Grace period? I need to know this coz the internet provider in my area is very cunning and I don't wanna argue with that guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Excitel Internet connection just got over, and I'm on "grace period". Do they charge extra for this Grace period? I need to know this coz the internet provider in my area is very cunning and I don't wanna argue with that guy.
Nope they do not.

The monthly cycle is re-started from the last date of your previous month. Effectively if you pay after two days grace period, the remaining days in monthly cycle is 28 days and not 30.

and on torrents, you would get 2.5 MB/s (20 Mbps).
You mean torrents only from torbox right ? Or even private trackers too ? I'm a member of many private trackers, it would be awesome if I can get 20mbps on those too (799rs plan).
Also, does this SDSL connection also apply to torbox peering ?

You mean torrents only from torbox right ? Or even private trackers too ? I'm a member of many private trackers, it would be awesome if I can get 20mbps on those too (799rs plan).
Also, does this SDSL connection also apply to torbox peering ?

Basically ALL of the newer and most of the medium-old torrents are cached on ALL PUBLIC trackers, so you would get 2.5 MB/s (20 Mbps) on almost all of the relevant (according to time) torrents that you might need on all public trackers. Private torrents are obviously not cached, because they're "private" :D

You would get your maximum connection speed (now 10 Mbps = 1 MB/s) on private trackers. And yes, The connection is fully SDSL on your normal 1 MB/s = 10 Mbps AND also on your 2.5 MB/s (20 Mbps) augmented speed. Yes, this does mean that you can seed like crazy at a constant 2.5 MB/s, no issues (provided you have that many peers to seed to, and at that speed, obviously). You will still upload at your normal connection maximum of 1 MB/s = 10 Mbps as far as private trackers are concerned, though.

Data usage for the month of August, 2016 (especially the uploaded data): https://i.gyazo.com/94ef852e773ba80aec040b74722b1fd1.png
Need I say more? :)

Back