Excitel Broadband - Comprehensive Review - 5Mbps - SDSL - Unlimited - no FUP

i have a question, i live in kirti nagar(west delhi) and i would liek to try excitel out! (and its avaible in my location) but the cutomer care number does not work ive put out a support ticket and it hasent been answered in bout 1 week + i contacted your guy and he asked me to msg him my info and i did and still no contact any help?

i have a question, i live in kirti nagar(west delhi) and i would liek to try excitel out! (and its avaible in my location) but the cutomer care number does not work ive put out a support ticket and it hasent been answered in bout 1 week + i contacted your guy and he asked me to msg him my info and i did and still no contact any help?

Hi,

Well, their customer care number is busy / unusable for a major part of the day, so I'd suggest you to call on either the number stamped on the pamphlet (again) OR, try calling on this number: 011-3313-8963 and choose option 1, i.e., sales.

You might need to pester them to get some information out of them, however, this might be indicative of the situation wherein Excitel's services aren't as "set-in" as it is in some other areas within New Delhi. I have noticed that they have this sloppy response towards areas wherein their services aren't well developed. However, don't let this demoralize you, just pester them on those two numbers, you should make some progress, hopefully.

And, by the way, they can setup the connection on the same day, assuming that you call them up in the morning, if they have their network setup in your locality. This is why I believe the delays / sloppy attitude is towards the unreachable areas. Nevertheless, that's not an excuse, they should inform the customer about the situation, regardless, instead of not responding at all.

there is a red dot from the map on their website on motinagar and i live 600m away and now using my sisters phone when i call the 801 number they make me leave a voice mail...

and do you think its worth going to lagpat nagar to speak to them?

Last edited by a moderator:
there is a red dot from the map on their website on motinagar and i live 600m away and now using my sisters phone when i call the 801 number they make me leave a voice mail...

and do you think its worth going to lagpat nagar to speak to them?

1) As I told you before, DON'T call the 801-xxx-xxxx customer number. You might as well set fire to your bank notes instead of wasting money calling on that number.

2) You either try to call again on the number stamped on the pamphlet (supplied in the first post of this thread), OR try calling on this number: 011-3313-8963 and choose option 1, i.e., sales.

3) If you have Excitel connectivity in your area, it should be well advertised and you would see several banners / pamphlets delivered to your doorstep or around in your locality. If that isn't the case, then Excitel isn't fully setup in your area, I would take a guess.

4) And no, I don't think going to their Lajpat Nagar head office would be of any use, if #3 above isn't satisfied.

i too live in rajouri garden and did the same steps as you.
do you now have the connection and how did you get it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi.

I'm here to put forward an honest and comprehensive review of Excitel's Broadband internet services provided in Delhi, India.

Official Website: http://www.excitel.com/
Pamphlet Screen-Shot: http://i.imgur.com/FeKQU4g.jpg

Stamped contact number on the pamphlet I received: http://i.imgur.com/s7awqZt.jpg

Back-Story

Switching Period

Payment

Present Day

Plan Name: "ReelTime 649"
Download Speed: 5 Mbps (640 KB/s real-time speed)
Upload Speed: 5 Mbps (640 KB/s real-time speed)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Download Speed (Youtube / Torrents): 20 Mbps (2.5 MB/s or 2560 KB/s real-time speed)
Upload Speed (Youtube / Torrents): 20 Mbps (2.5 MB/s or 2560 KB/s real-time speed)
----------------------------------------------------------------------

PROS

-- SDSL connection, NOT ADSL. Other ISPs offer things like 10 Mbps download speed and 512 Kbps upload speed. With Excitel, if you get a 5 Mbps connection, download speed = upload speed = 5 Mbps.

5053398341.png
eb65e9e484cef12fee4a5852b0fdc2fa.png

-- EXCELLENT peering with Youtube. I seriously mean it. Like seriously. I have deleted the word "buffering" from my dictionary after choosing Excitel.

Proof

5053391388.png
70b01883caaf7756b5a70ebb3fccb987.png

http://sendvid.com/0pbch20p

This is a video I recorded of myself watching a 4K video on Youtube. Just watch it to believe it. Nothing else to say.

-- 20 Mbps (2.5 MB/s or 2560 KB/s real-time speed) while using Youtube / Torbox.net. This is valid even if you're on the 5 Mbps plan (same as me).

-- Excellent peering with EU / US servers. If you're into gaming and you play on gaming servers located in Europe / North America, you'll get a lower ping using Excitel. For a comparison ... I used to get 200 - 250 ping using MTNL on some European servers. Now I get 130ms - 150ms.

-- Almost ZERO jitter. This connection is super stable and if you test the jitter to different servers, you will note that the ping value almost never fluctuates and stays a sweet low and stable. This is extremely important for gamers.

-- If you upload videos to YouTube, often, this is the connection you should get. Video uploads to YouTube are done at 2.5 MB/s (real time speed) on my connection.

CONS
-- None witnessed so far.

I had to come back to Delhi but now excited is available. I called and wire was installed but I didn't have Windows as I'm using old HDd in new system. I don't have image too.

No modem was installed so I'm CV confused about the safety as I've to use it for secure stuff. The guy didn't know jack and just said an icon should come and he should input the company name and stuff. There's a Windows connection visible . The guy refused to give any details regarding input. If I want run it on Linux I'll have to give it up but that's really weird.

If anyone has any input pls help I need a connection tomorrow morning. Didn't want to get a pirated win image from axshop today. Will procure old system if necessary though I need it to cwrk on Linux.[DOUBLEPOST=1461335748][/DOUBLEPOST]I typed last message from cell so sorry for spelling. I have installed excitel 5mbps with bought TP-LINK router (690 rs) and as of now it seems fine. Installation was free.

Last edited:
@StickySlime @gamingstill
From past few days I'm getting pathetic 512kbps - 1mbps from US servers and 2-3 mbps from Japanese servers and similar speeds elsewhere. Anyone else having this problem? I contacted their customer support after no response to E-Mail and after having remote access to desktop (doesn't seem a good thing to do privacy vise) the rep kept on saying that you cannot guarantee speeds from external servers. In the start I got 5mbps from all servers. He then asked to show where I'm experiencing slowness but I didn't want to show that particular work(lol). And this is whole day speed, not peak hour. Vimeo / Dailymotion keeps buffering every now and then. Will not renew package if this issue is not resolved.

Also I can't so anything with a VPN now.

@StickySlime @gamingstill
From past few days I'm getting pathetic 512kbps - 1mbps from US servers and 2-3 mbps from Japanese servers and similar speeds elsewhere. Anyone else having this problem? I contacted their customer support after no response to E-Mail and after having remote access to desktop (doesn't seem a good thing to do privacy vise) the rep kept on saying that you cannot guarantee speeds from external servers. In the start I got 5mbps from all servers. He then asked to show where I'm experiencing slowness but I didn't want to show that particular work(lol). And this is whole day speed, not peak hour. Vimeo / Dailymotion keeps buffering every now and then. Will not renew package if this issue is not resolved.

Also I can't so anything with a VPN now.

http://sendvid.com/o24czha4
http://sendvid.com/y135kfco

Last edited:
@StickySlime
Dailymotion and Vimeo do run fine most of the time now that I've tested more. I think they may have servers in India are have some peering arrangement. The main problem is very slow speed from American servers and slower speed from all foreign servers. So any connection(torrents or otherwise) to US IP are particulary slow..

-Examples-
ttp://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5331206439 (Comcast US server, tested at 12 noon)
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5331217842 (US server 2)
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5331210884 (Indian server)
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5331213846 (Japan server)
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5333737856 (tested at 07:30 am, US speedtest.net server. Speeds at 12am were still at 1mbit though..)

I was getting full speed (4mbps+) whole day in start and never experienced this type of problem in other connections.

EDIT:
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5334111651
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5334119019
This is the average from Euro servers.

Packet loss
http://www.pingtest.net/result/145516479.png

Last edited:
@r19

Comcast (Richmond, VA): https://i.gyazo.com/689c1302fdebadb1e86487219b2ae866.png
FDC Servers (Denver, CO): https://i.gyazo.com/0cf7f901c4bdfa1638a6b5c3ddb3e9fb.png
Pune, Maharashtra, India: https://i.gyazo.com/7f07e6c2c6a9870b9cfbcd1952549177.png
ASEI Net (Tokyo, Japan): https://i.gyazo.com/d2826e4579386f5724e1747f4012872c.png
Paris, France: https://i.gyazo.com/108a8b3e3268848a45f09c0591f63252.png

Its a crying shame that its not working well for you ... I would suggest consulting your cable operator about this. He wouldn't be able to do anything about the speed issues, because as far as I know, that can only be resolved from Excitel's end. However, maybe he can check other things and resolve the packet loss or unstable connection thingy and maybe in the process of doing that your speed issue could possibly be rectified. Its a long shot, I know, but well worth the try.

Furthermore, as far as the speed issues are concerned, I think you should call (011-3313-8963) at night. Try somewhere around or after 11:30 pm or something. Once I had to call them up regarding an issue at that hour and the tech support representative actually appeared to be skilled and we could talk in direct technical terms and jargons instead of going around in circles and doing stupid stuff like "restart your computer" etc. The tech support available during the day will make you do all that stupid stuff before they will help you. Atleast that's what I have noticed in my research.

I couldn't get anything from their customer care calling at 11pm, it seemed it was the same guy whom I contacted previously. I did get into contact with their Facebook admin who says the problem should be with their providers TCL/RCom and will look into it so hopefully it is resolved.

BTW is there a way or need to change your password that you use to connect so another person can't connect with it? I couldn't find a way to do that but it's no need if there's no threat. Also last night I connected without router and I could see other systems on the Network though they were password protected.

I couldn't get anything from their customer care calling at 11pm, it seemed it was the same guy whom I contacted previously. I did get into contact with their Facebook admin who says the problem should be with their providers TCL/RCom and will look into it so hopefully it is resolved.

BTW is there a way or need to change your password that you use to connect so another person can't connect with it? I couldn't find a way to do that but it's no need if there's no threat. Also last night I connected without router and I could see other systems on the Network though they were password protected.

1. Try calling even later if possible (and if still required), possibly after 12:30 am or even 1 am, just to be sure. It might have just been a matter of luck in my case, though.

2. No, you don't need to change your login credentials. Although you may be able to do that via the Excitel's control panel thingy, although I'm not sure about it. Here's how you access it: Find your public IP address and access the IP address directly via a browser. That should redirect you to the Excitel's control panel for your account.

The problem can be replicated even on my LCO system (who says he has 20mbps plan and was getting 4-5mbps on US and Euro servers. tracert showed timeout after going from Excitel Okhla. Till now no reason has been given and no sign of resolution. Even if the problem is from Reliance.. If anyboy considering it and has to use more than the peered / local servers do check out. I think packet loss is unacceptable. Don't think I had that even on MTNL 512kbps.

The problem can be replicated even on my LCO system (who says he has 20mbps plan and was getting 4-5mbps on US and Euro servers. tracert showed timeout after going from Excitel Okhla. Till now no reason has been given and no sign of resolution. Even if the problem is from Reliance.. If anyboy considering it and has to use more than the peered / local servers do check out. I think packet loss is unacceptable. Don't think I had that even on MTNL 512kbps.

Of course, packet loss isn't acceptable, and the magnitude of the problem intensifies wherever work/official/business use is concerned, which it does, I reckon, in your case. Well, something definitely seems odd about your situation, since I'm encountering no problems recently on European nor North American servers. Speed has been 100% too. And there's almost no jitter, let alone packet loss. Maybe I'm using a different path / routing and maybe that's working fine but the one you're being subjected through isn't?

Anyway, I would suggest a second internet connection of a different ISP for redundancy purposes, if your work/office/business depends on it. That would definitely be a wise investment as far as I can see it. That would ensure that you have a fail-safe; something that you can fallback to, in case one goes down. We all must be aware of the infamous greedy-thief ISP "Airtel", however, despite the reasons they're infamous for, Airtel does ONE thing right ... and that's reliability.

If you get a second internet connection from an ISP such as Airtel (which subjects its customers to paltry data usage limits and imposes UNfair usage policies upon them, thereafter), but which are known to be reliable; you can then use the restrictive ISP to ensure connectivity 100% of the time, but use Excitel for things that require a lot of bandwidth. In any case, Excitel is the only company which provides truly unlimited plans which are SDSL, mind you, that's a very very rare thing. 99.9999999999999% of ISP provide ADSL connections, so you dont get 5 Mbps up on a 5 Mbps down connection, but rather, more like 512 Kbps up or 1 Mbps up maximum, if you're lucky.

So the way I see it, Excitel has its share of problems with its dumb technical support representatives, "luck" and "area" based connection quality and high dependence upon the quality of the local cable network provider, but they're providing services which no ISP in India would ever dare to even speak of, which is an SDSL connection at the cheapest rates I have seen till date.

Not to mention that Excitel is still in a nascent stage and is still growing and expanding before it can come up to speed with the other, more "set-in" ISPs in India. Furthermore, just look at what all of us are paying for a minute before we start comparing Excitel with companies that have been in business for several years and decades. 750 rupees for a 5 Mbps SDSL connection. That's a steal as compared to the ISPs such as Airtel which happily robs its customers of their money each month. Sure, Airtel is far more stable than Excitel, but are you willing to pay infinite amounts of money to get that stability WITH speed, UNLIMITED? If yes, then no one's stopping you.

I'd rather give ISPs such as Excitel which *might*, just might, change the game (I know, its a long shot) a chance, rather than demoralize such new ISPs and let the giants stay in power and enjoy the monopoly, which they currently do.

Your connection is probably going through TCL.

If there was only conncection speed drop I would consider maybe Excitel is capping or starving. Though packet loss and jitter happening and timeout after going from Excitel, I'm thinking the problem is with RCom though I don't understand why Excitel isn't resolving or even giving proper response to complaint for this long.
I can't get Airtel BB because it probably won't be available here and would have too low UL speeds to be of any use. I could use my 4G connection to go with Excitel though if my bandwidth needs are low enough. But there are 4-5 local resellers here who have OK plans like 5mpbs 60GB for 600/- . I am afraid of incorrect usage showing and connection problems though. Last year the average plan for this rate was 4mbps 30GB. Since I can only see Cat 5 cable from them I assume their ul speed would be equal though I'd have to contact them.
Though I'm confused.. if the local provider isn't capping and doesn't have line fault and there isn't as much bandwidth starvation(which can be speed tested at peak hours) the real performance depends on the backend? (i.e TCL / RCom or others) I think these local sellers are bigger competition for Excitel since they seem to be doing a lot of business in high density colonies/villages which probably have less regulations for laying cables. Sad thing we have so many internet provider reviews per connections online.

I hope Excitel resolves these issues as their plans are good. Local cable people here seem good too. More people should have noticed slow speed in particular sites, torrents and game servers..

All those who have been using Excitel, can you please let know if there are any particular WiFi routers it is compatible with? I am planning to go in for the TP-Link TL-WR841N 300 router for a new connection with Excitel, for use across a duplex apartment. Will this router be good enough?
Also, it'd be really helpful if you guys can suggest another option for a router.
Thank you!

PS: Forgive me if I sound like a noob. :p

All those who have been using Excitel, can you please let know if there are any particular WiFi routers it is compatible with? I am planning to go in for the TP-Link TL-WR841N 300 router for a new connection with Excitel, for use across a duplex apartment. Will this router be good enough?
Also, it'd be really helpful if you guys can suggest another option for a router.
Thank you!

PS: Forgive me if I sound like a noob. :p
I'm using this router on a single floor. http://www.amazon.in/TP-Link-TL-WR7...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

The 300 Mbps model you mentioned should work well in a duplex apartment imo.

CONS
-- None witnessed so far.

Friend, can you help me with 2-3 questions ?
Im looking to take it in an apartment, whih has their service.

1. The 5Mbps plan is completely unlimited or any FUP or limits ?
2. How did you do a speedtest of torbox ? Speedtest only shows me the internet speed. How to test torbox speed on ookla speedtest ?
3. Whats your ping for sgp-1.valve.net and sgp-2.valve.net ?
4. Do they place a switch or ONT at the house ? I mean is the ethernet delivery or fiber delivered to home ?
5. Please a ping and traceroute screenshot of 8.8.8.8 and sgp-1.valve.net

Friend, can you help me with 2-3 questions ?
Im looking to take it in an apartment, whih has their service.

1. The 5Mbps plan is completely unlimited or any FUP or limits ?
2. How did you do a speedtest of torbox ? Speedtest only shows me the internet speed. How to test torbox speed on ookla speedtest ?
3. Whats your ping for sgp-1.valve.net and sgp-2.valve.net ?
4. Do they place a switch or ONT at the house ? I mean is the ethernet delivery or fiber delivered to home ?
5. Please a ping and traceroute screenshot of 8.8.8.8 and sgp-1.valve.net

First of all, I can't seem to edit my first post within this thread. I wanted to update the "cons" section. There are a few that were noticed later on:
EDIT: Adding the cons noticed later on:

-- Customer care number starting with 80x-xxx-xxxx is useless and you won't be connected to someone almost always. Its always busy throughout the day and during the wee hours, it just asks you to leave a voice message and disconnects the call. There is a solution for this ... call this number instead, for customer support purposes: 011-3313-8963.

-- Excitel's internet is behind a double NAT. Although, this problem can be solved by opting for a static IP, however, that would cost an additional Rs. 1100/- per year. Still worth it, in my personal opinion, especially if you're a "power user".

Anyway, as far as your questions are concerned:
1) The 5 Mbps plan I'm currently using (and all other plans viz. 10 and 20 Mbps) are completely unlimited. There are no limits.
Here's a screenshot of my monthly bandwidth usage: (February and all months thereafter are with Excitel :))
http://i.imgur.com/uim7j6N.png

2) On the Speedtest.net website, select the "Excitel" Delhi server and test your connection using that. This will test the YouTube / HotStar / TorBox speeds (20 Mbps = 2.5 MB/s = 2,560 KB/s). Selecting other servers will test the normal speed of (5 Mbps = 630 KB/s).

3) http://i.imgur.com/JLG9PWk.png and http://i.imgur.com/k7ECHyT.png

4) The optical fiber cable is only until the entry point of your locality. Thereafter, normal Ethernet cables (CAT 5e+ or similar) are used to connect the entry point of your locality / apartment to your house. Excitel says that this will be converted to a FTTH (Fiber to the Home) in the future, although no estimations on when that would happen.

5) http://i.imgur.com/z0vFSQ6.png

Back