Laptops Dell or Compaq or Toshiba

Hey friends,

I am finally on lookout for a new laptop, as my trust worthy dell seems to be broking off anyday. :(

Usage :
Major - Office Applications, Internet
Minor - Usual Song listening, very less gaming Gaming

Budget : 40-45K

Now since we have too many players now a days in-market, I am actually confused between Dell, Compaq or Toshiba.

Major constraint while shopping for laptop is the long life, specifically body sturdiness. Though i trust DELL, as my m600 ended up after 3 yrs or so, i still on a scout to get a better and sturdy product.

Kindly pour in your suggestions. :hap2:

Cheers

I'll giv a negative point to dell inspiron , coz of it's silver color keyboard, it is showing signs of ageing in 1 month only..... so i'll suggest go for vostro..

Stay away from toshiba unless you don't have a choice. The build quality isn't good except for very few models. Dell would be the best bet for your need and budget. You can also try the new dell studio 15" laptop. Comes in a variety of colors, with an option for ATi dedicated graphics. And it should be just right for your budget

Naah..... for his mostly official usage (I mean, for work) nothing beats the VFM of Dell Vostro. They are excellent in their build and very very sturdy. I'd got two last years, they both are excellent and no signs of ageing, at all !! I mean, AT ALL.
While my own inspiron brought a lil over 2 years had filmsy quality as compared to this and so are the newer inspirons and XPSs i got through shakensoul.

And while compaq is crap :p toshiba is quite good but will be an expensive proposition if u go for its good models, also toshiba has problems with its service as they take a hell lotta time while the Dell service quality must be known to all.

So my sincere opinion will be, go for Dell vostro basic model with 3 yrs complete cover, will fit in 45K range and enjoy for 3 yrs

Please dont go for the Dell Studio Laptops ,they are facing a lot of problems i get to take many calls regarding them and its a pain to solve the problems ,would suggest u to go for the Dell Vostro series which have no problems ..

PS: This is my personal opinion as work at DELL i get to know which systems are facing the max no of problems i am planing to get a Vostro from abroad as all other DELL products suck big time with the no of problems they rise with .

Checksum said:
Stay away from toshiba unless you don't have a choice. The build quality isn't good except for very few models. Dell would be the best bet for your need and budget. You can also try the new dell studio 15" laptop. Comes in a variety of colors, with an option for ATi dedicated graphics. And it should be just right for your budget

Any particular problem about the build quality like hinges, keypads, lcd etc. It will be great if you can point to any specific one.

Dell Studio is also in my mind and i am actually tempted towards the same only along with the dedicated graphics and back-lit option.

ashu_dps said:
Naah..... for his mostly official usage (I mean, for work) nothing beats the VFM of Dell Vostro. They are excellent in their build and very very sturdy. I'd got two last years, they both are excellent and no signs of ageing, at all !! I mean, AT ALL.
While my own inspiron brought a lil over 2 years had filmsy quality as compared to this and so are the newer inspirons and XPSs i got through shakensoul.

And while compaq is crap :p toshiba is quite good but will be an expensive proposition if u go for its good models, also toshiba has problems with its service as they take a hell lotta time while the Dell service quality must be known to all.

So my sincere opinion will be, go for Dell vostro basic model with 3 yrs complete cover, will fit in 45K range and enjoy for 3 yrs

Hey,

Vostro was actually my one of the choices, but anyhow i couldn't find myself comfortable with vostro's looks. I do understand that vostro customization starts as low as from 29,900. Which seems one can get hell lotta powerful machine @ 45K. But being not so much comfortable with vostro looks i found it too odd.

I might have to scout for a colleague having vostro with him, to get comfortable with it. This exercise might change opinion towards vostro.

Can you point out the specific flimsy quality issue you are facing in you newly bought insprion ??

A very close colleague has a very bad experience with compaq service, so i too had ruled out compaq. But looking at some deal breakers configuration and nice looks, i thought of giving it a try (at least take opinion :eek:hyeah: )

Toshiba - i too understand it will be out budget otherwise, though having a very nice contact in Toshiba i may get some employee discount kinda stuff.

Cheers

vpp84 said:
I'd recommend you to go for Dell Studio 15. Good option and w/o ATI card ie. with Intel X3100 gfx card its for 47k Vashi Shipping.

Delhites are lucky enough to get Studio 15 with dedicated Ati graphics accelerator @ 47,582.22 :tongue: (No octroi)

Cheers

kranthi4545 said:
Please dont go for the Dell Studio Laptops ,they are facing a lot of problems i get to take many calls regarding them and its a pain to solve the problems ,would suggest u to go for the Dell Vostro series which have no problems ..
PS: This is my personal opinion as work at DELL i get to know which systems are facing the max no of problems i am planing to get a Vostro from abroad as all other DELL products suck big time with the no of problems they rise with .

Phew.. Another Vostro Vote :)

Can you point out some specific issues you are receiving for Studio series ??

Another piece of advice i would like seek from you is regarding warranty. Do you recommend Complete cover warranty or Limited warranty will do ??

Okie do one thing, get urself the vostro from ur friend and try to live with it. I was quite disappointed when i took the vostro in my hand out of the box for the first time but in this 1yr it has slowly grown over me and more so coz of its sturdiness and u'll begin to apprecite its build quality n material and its finish !

The inspirons which i've got have sqeaky plastic parts and there lid seems to be problemtic and one of my inspi is hanging totally loose on its hinges which (God forbid....) might fall off one day. Eeek.........
Was my first dell sys whch i got frm USA so wasnt aware if i wud get warranty in india and also was on the verge of breaking my budget line by miles when i got this so avoided the 3yrs complete cover and so i repent till date, my hinge is almost broken, LCD is developing dead pixs and seems some problem with my gfx cooling !

So, moral of story : Get 3 yrs CC (And a vostro :eek:hyeah: )

ashthedivx said:
Phew.. Another Vostro Vote :)

Can you point out some specific issues you are receiving for Studio series ??

Another piece of advice i would like seek from you is regarding warranty. Do you recommend Complete cover warranty or Limited warranty will do ??

Abt the problems of Studio Series are BSOD's ( To Recall i had one incident where the cux called and said tat he got the Studio Laptops Day one without installing anything he just turned on the laptop and he has BSOD 0x000000ED) ,some more errors are cux has 2GB of memory system is ****ing slow,it was escalated later he got system exchange ,studio has lot of HDD failure and Memory failures ,ROM failures,cux are screwing our happniess:mad: a lot nowadays ,the worst laptops are studio,inspiron and XPS where as stabilized laptops less errors are Vostro Series ,if u want performance and stability Go for Vostro ,If u want problems and look Inspiron ,XPS ,studio

Regarding Warranty:

1) Complete care mean if anything goes wrong in ur computer ie accidental damages are replaced free of cost if ur ready to spend money go for complete care but for Vostro u dont need but with any other laptop plssssss go for Complete Care

PS: Go for Vostro forget looks lookin for performance and for looks u can get the skinz for laptop thru KMD

^^^Oyi... Kranthi

Can u do something for me re :p

I forgot to add i also have replaced the HDD of my inspi coz it got bad sectors, i guess coz of overheating as it was a 7200RPM drive. Have it lying in my laptop bag.
So anyting like getting it replaced, no warranty though ! :p

OT: How are the Dell Precision laptops price/reliability? These are "business" models, right?

@OP: Any reason why you don't consider Lenovo ThinkPads? I know they are ugly looking :)

vishalrao said:
OT: @OP: Any reason why you don't consider Lenovo ThinkPads? I know they are ugly looking :)
Hahaha.... ROFL :rofl: :rofl:

That's the reason, BTW i also dont find anyone's service as good as that of dell, although they eat up ur head a lot over phone (Kranthi dude, no offence :eek:hyeah: ) but still they are great and thats the reason i recommend then in addition to excellent prices they offer.

ashu_dps said:
^^^Oyi... Kranthi

Can u do something for me re :p

I forgot to add i also have replaced the HDD of my inspi coz it got bad sectors, i guess coz of overheating as it was a 7200RPM drive. Have it lying in my laptop bag.

So anything like getting it replaced, no warranty though ! :p

hi ashu_dps i work for DELL INTERNATIONAL so have no idea abt warranties in India wat best u can do is tat take this HDD connect it to any of ur friends Dell laptop which is in warranty and call Dell tech support make sure tat the laptop model match(esc make sure he /she also has the same HDD) in tat case Dell cant find it out just do this u can get it replaced and once u call them up say tat everytime u turn on the laptop u get the PBR error and they will ask u to run DELL diagnostics in the Laptop tell them tat u are getting Bug code 7 u will get immediate replacement sure abt this ,give it a try :)

vishalrao said:
OT: How are the Dell Precision laptops price/reliability? These are "business" models, right?

@OP: Any reason why you don't consider Lenovo ThinkPads? I know they are ugly looking :)

Dell Precision laptop's have no idea abt them ,coz i dont support this model

Back