Laptops Dell or Compaq or Toshiba

ashu_dps said:
Okie do one thing, get urself the vostro from ur friend and try to live with it. I was quite disappointed when i took the vostro in my hand out of the box for the first time but in this 1yr it has slowly grown over me and more so coz of its sturdiness and u'll begin to apprecite its build quality n material and its finish !

The inspirons which i've got have sqeaky plastic parts and there lid seems to be problemtic and one of my inspi is hanging totally loose on its hinges which (God forbid....) might fall off one day. Eeek.........
Was my first dell sys whch i got frm USA so wasnt aware if i wud get warranty in india and also was on the verge of breaking my budget line by miles when i got this so avoided the 3yrs complete cover and so i repent till date, my hinge is almost broken, LCD is developing dead pixs and seems some problem with my gfx cooling !

So, moral of story : Get 3 yrs CC (And a vostro :eek:hyeah: )

Oh Gosh, Your inspiron story scared hell out of me !! Why don't you get in touch with dell people !!

Trying to get my hands on vostro !!

kranthi4545 said:
Abt the problems of Studio Series are BSOD's ( To Recall i had one incident where the cux called and said tat he got the Studio Laptops Day one without installing anything he just turned on the laptop and he has BSOD 0x000000ED) ,some more errors are cux has 2GB of memory system is ****ing slow,it was escalated later he got system exchange ,studio has lot of HDD failure and Memory failures ,ROM failures,cux are screwing our happniess:mad: a lot nowadays ,the worst laptops are studio,inspiron and XPS where as stabilized laptops less errors are Vostro Series ,if u want performance and stability Go for Vostro ,If u want problems and look Inspiron ,XPS ,studio

Regarding Warranty:
1) Complete care mean if anything goes wrong in ur computer ie accidental damages are replaced free of cost if ur ready to spend money go for complete care but for Vostro u dont need but with any other laptop plssssss go for Complete Care
PS: Go for Vostro forget looks lookin for performance and for looks u can get the skinz for laptop thru KMD

Studio = BSODs and other stated problems :mad: Is it something v1 of Studio Series.

Being in service industry, according to my understanding problem is known for a product when it is sold. It might be a case when inspiron, xps and studios are sold more in no.s then that off Vostro, hence more problems are noticeable. I do not stand opposite to your service experience, but still this is something i can translate best. You may have the sales no.s with you, so you can elaborate it with your windings it a better way.

Thanks for the tip. No matter if it is vostro or any other dell product, 3 year warranty will be there anyhow :)

kranthi4545 said:
hi ashu_dps i work for DELL INTERNATIONAL so have no idea abt warranties in India wat best u can do is tat take this HDD connect it to any of ur friends Dell laptop which is in warranty and call Dell tech support make sure tat the laptop model match(esc make sure he /she also has the same HDD) in tat case Dell cant find it out just do this u can get it replaced and once u call them up say tat everytime u turn on the laptop u get the PBR error and they will ask u to run DELL diagnostics in the Laptop tell them tat u are getting Bug code 7 u will get immediate replacement sure abt this ,give it a try :)

Hehe, that was a nice one.. but don't you guys track hdd serial no.s along with the laptops serial no.s.

Which Hdd otherwise dell uses now-a-days ?? My 600m had Hitachi one.

ive been using an m1330 since november and my usage is very high.. it so happens that the silver inspiron keyboards are the same as on mine.. mine still looks brand new.

I'd say neither. Don't buy a laptop based on the brand name or configuration.

I mean you need a laptop for portability or are you looking for a desktop replacement?

For office productivity, i.e. if you open a lot of spreadsheets, get the cheap 15" lappies from acer/compaq.

Laptop as a desktop replacement - well that is an oxymoron :rofl:

If you need it primarily for reading books, and leisure you are better off with a umpc ( samsung umpcs :tongue: or a Motion Computing tablet pc :lick:).

If portablity is the sole criterion, wait for the netbooks to arrive. The MSI wind 10" or the Acer Aspire one and the Dell E appear to be great buys.

To get the best of all worlds, just get a 12" laptop, with the core2duo /centrino duo mobile proccie and a 6 cell battery. Get 2gb ram atleast. With sufficient ram, you can disable paging to your hard disk and save even more juice. Moreso, buy some aftermarket ram rather than the oem ram. Would work out very cheap. Get the laptop upgraded at the place you buy it from itself so that you don't run into warranty issues.

Also, take a good look at the the multimedia card reader in the laptop. The more the formats supported, the better. A PCMCI slot should and must be available if you are not getting a netbook(/subnotebook/clumpc).

Keep an eye on the weight of the laptop. Its best to not spend on extra features like wifi/bluetooth/infra red as oems charge exhorbitant rates for an integrated solution which in addition to costing you money are also battery hogs. Just make sure your laptop has enough usb ports and get yourself dongles if you need the functionality.

This is what you should be looking for.

(I know my friends who bought their laptops based on a brand (Sony vaio anyone?) or heavy configs ("gaming laptops") are sick of them.

They are too heavy to lug around and have pathetic battery backup. What a waste. )

ashthedivx said:
Hehe, that was a nice one.. but don't you guys track hdd serial no.s along with the laptops serial no.s.

Which Hdd otherwise dell uses now-a-days ?? My 600m had Hitachi one.

no we dont track them dont worry abt that

PS: i work for International ie US consumer support ( Dell India should also follow same )

ashthedivx said:
Studio = BSODs and other stated problems :mad: Is it something v1 of Studio Series.

Being in service industry, according to my understanding problem is known for a product when it is sold. It might be a case when inspiron, xps and studios are sold more in no.s then that off Vostro, hence more problems are noticeable. I do not stand opposite to your service experience, but still this is something i can translate best. You may have the sales no.s with you, so you can elaborate it with your windings it a better way.

Thanks for the tip. No matter if it is vostro or any other dell product, 3 year warranty will be there anyhow :)

ashthedivx i agree with u the no of Inspiron and XPS are sales are very high and Vostro is comparatively low ,but problems on Vostros are less compared to the others ,we have a tracking system which gives us report every week abt the problems in each and every model of the laptop and btb DELL has 2 desktops called Insp D530,530s they are the most sluttiest of all they dont work at all ,i swear on God if i get to meet Micheal Dell i will screw his happinesss for the kind of laptops and desktops hes releasing .All the business models esc VOstro has less no of problems i have been working with DELL from past 7 months what i have noticed is tat ,cust who call with Vostro are completely satisfied with the produck but XPS and Insp since they dont work well they underrate us when a survey goes to them :mad:

and abt warranty every machine comes with 1 year standard warranty not with 3 year warranty (the 3 year complete care has to be upgraded )

DELL has some thing called as 21 day return policy if u dont like the machine u can get it exchanged with in 21 days from the date of placing the order.

As told, on being contacted my toshiba's contact asked me desired model no. :)

Anyone got to know some good toshiba models ? Scouting on their website i found some good configuration @ Portege, Qosmio, Satellite Pro. Found Satellite series too basic... Any pointers ??

^

well go for the qosmio if u have the money for it it has excellent build quality i've been using mine really roughly but still it looks like its new

if not then satellite A300 series i herd the new fusion finish on those is really great

Back