Cheapest Way to Convert Monitor to Smart TV ?

bluetooth speaker is the simplest option. Soundbar works too, but you will need to get an HDMI splitter/Bluetooth reciever or an android box with audio out - all of which you can invest in buying a better bluetooth speaker. Only pain is that you will need to turn it on separately every time you turn on the TV

This is a full HD monitor. If you are OK with no future proofing, then all you need is a fire TV stick costing 2200 (during sale, current).

I'm assuming you already have speakers. If not, a cheap pair of speakers or a soundbar from Boat will do the trick. Make sure it has Aux input.

This is a full HD monitor. If you are OK with no future proofing, then all you need is a fire TV stick costing 2200 (during sale, current).

I'm assuming you already have speakers. If not, a cheap pair of speakers or a soundbar from Boat will do the trick. Make sure it has Aux input.
Yes I think Fire Stick under 2.2K. But Mi costs near 4K which is no brainer. But what about speakers ? Because I think monitor got HDMI Port but no 3.5mm port. I wanted to make easy to use so my mom can use it.

My picks
You'll need a USB charger (any 2.4A should be fine)
Pair the speaker to the fire stick in settings.
you may need to ask your mom to turn on the Speaker seperately when she turns on the TV. (not sure if the speaker will turn on with power, or need to be turned on seperately)

Personally I use a chromecast and an HDMI splitter because we are all crazy about youtube and prefer to cast from our phones rather than navigate via the TV UI

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommended a bluetooth speaker as it will make it a complicated setup. Rather use something like this

I can't say if volume control through fire stick remote will work with this setup though.
Interesting gadget - thanks for sharing - I think I'm going to make my ye olde CRT monitor smart.
Most soundbars seem to have bluetooth anyway so figured why not use the existing connectivity and reduce some wires. I've used my bose bt speaker with a monitor and a fire stick and a tv, so i know it will work. Power on/off behaviour and long term stability of the pairing is the only thing I'm not sure . from that point, this thingy might be a better option.

I wouldn't recommended a bluetooth speaker as it will make it a complicated setup. Rather use something like this

I can't say if volume control through fire stick remote will work with this setup though.
I think Volume can be controlled from the Speakers only. But with Bluetooth Sound Bar the set will cost me 3K.
My picks
You'll need a USB charger (any 2.4A should be fine)
Pair the speaker to the fire stick in settings.
you may need to ask your mom to turn on the Speaker seperately when she turns on the TV. (not sure if the speaker will turn on with power, or need to be turned on seperately)

Personally I use a chromecast and an HDMI splitter because we are all crazy about youtube and prefer to cast from our phones rather than navigate via the TV UI
Should I go for Refurbished ?
I never used Refurbished before.
I checked and found that my monitor has a 3.5mm output, vga input, hdmi input and power input. Also I have an usb cheap two speakers, an old creative 2.1 speakers too.
But the HDMI port at monitor is vertically positioned so I can't plugin the Amazon fire stick into it unless connect with an short extension male to female hdmi port.

So what's the best solution for me now ?
Also I could go for blutooth sound bar if the sound quality is better than my old speakers. I will try to teach my mom.

Is it reliable ? Only 1.3K

Last edited:
Amazon refurbished usually means unboxed/customer returns as long as they're being sold by appario or one of the major sellers. You will need to check it thoroughly when you get it (in case there was a issue which caused the return) but 90% of the time, it will be something like cosmetic damage or something like that.

The only other caveat is 6 months seller warranty - in case of Amazon devices, warranty is crap anyway.

Fire stick comes with an extension cable for such devices, so don't worry about it.

Don't get the Lite one, get this instead, only 200 more
Thanks.
So I need the Fire Stick only.
But I am kinda confused.
Should I go for 1.5K Refurbished or new one at 2.2K.
Current seller is Cloud connect_SLP.

Last edited:
If you're not constrained by budget, go for new one for peace of mind. If you want to keep it really cheap, go for refurbished. In majority cases, refurbished won't be a problem for these small devices.

You can also post in WTB section, in case someone has an old stick. I sold my old 4k a couple of months back for 1.4k.

OK. I will try Refurbished this time.
Let give it a try.
Already Ordered Refurbished one.
Will get in the November I guess.
Let's hope everything will be good.

Last edited:
Sorry for late response.
I got Refurbished One.
I bought VGA to HDMI 3.5mm Converter.
I'm connecting my old 2.1 Old PC Speakers.
But issue is you can't control volume from remote. But with Bluetooth Speakers it's possible.

But problem is App like Tubi, Freevee not available. I need to search for solutions.

I'm thinking to add better speaker in future.

Depends what you're exepscting from the smart tv.
The ethernet set-top boxes that come along with Jiofiber, Airtel, Tata have major streaming platforms integrated into them. That's apparently the cheapest route you can go if you already pay for them :p

1st option
1. Mi box 4k used - connect hdmi to monitor (approx. 2k)
2. Usb speakers with on off button/knob- connect usb to mi box usb port and 3.5mm to mi box 3.5mm jack (approx. 1k)

2nd option
1. Fire stick new
2. Bluetooth speaker

For cheap options, no need to complicate further. I have used both options in the past. For a fixed monitor setup option 1 and for travelling/hotels option 2.

Don't remember if the speakers turn off (standby mode) in option 1 or if I turned them off manually.

I haven't gone through the whole thread. OP might have gotten his solution. Leaving this for others.

Back