Bollywood and the art of minting money

Sei

Skilled
Movies which cannot be graded, though I watched 'em.

Son of Sardar
Dabbang II

Matru ke Bijlee....

....what is wrong with our directors/script writers.

Safety Not Guaranteed:
9/10. Fabulous, and loved it.

<Rant>

There's nothing wrong in this because these filmmakers are playing a high-risk, high-rewarding game. It's kind of similar to insider trading, which is illegal and worth jail-time. Which is what these filmmakers deserve.

The strategy -
1. Original Story/Idea/Concept is optional.
2. Get big stars, big sets, big music director, fancy costumes, promote the hell out of it (adverts, radio, TV, billboards, interviews)
3. Finally release it at a higher price to all distributors which translates to pricier movie tickets for us.
4. Sell music rights, TV rights at exhorbitant prices.

The most important part - Do all this before people realise your film is a steaming pile of $h1t. Earn all your money (and more) in the first weekend. Dhoom 2 had earned 57 crores in the first weekened and not even 1/10th in the following weekend IIRC. Same is with Dabbang, Ready, Singham etc.

Result - 100 crore club. The worst part is that they can pull this off again since the money earned bucketloads of money at the box office. :|

And you wonder why more filmmakers are doing this crap. And I sincerely hope they stop calling Rohit Shetty when they want stunts. Hate those god-awful cars-flying-in-the-air crap that he spews. I really don't know who likes it.

</Rant over>

And I sincerely hope they stop calling Rohit Shetty when they want stunts. Hate those god-awful cars-flying-in-the-air crap that he spews. I really don't know who likes it.

I actually LOVE those :D And think Rohit is one of the best directors today. Entertaining a larger number of people consistently, film over film, is no mean task - something more 'acclaimed' film makers have failed to repeatedly. In that list of films you mentioned, Dabanng, Ready and Singham actually are amongst the better trenders today - 50% or more collections after the first week, unlike most major biggies which do close to 60% of overall business in the first week

I actually LOVE those :D And think Rohit is one of the best directors today. Entertaining a larger number of people consistently, film over film, is no mean task - something more 'acclaimed' film makers have failed to repeatedly. In that list of films you mentioned, Dabanng, Ready and Singham actually are amongst the better trenders today - 50% or more collections after the first week, unlike most major biggies which do close to 60% of overall business in the first week

Maybe I chose the wrong examples. And even I had liked Rohit Shetty's Golmaal 3 and All the Best. They were clean entertainers. I was just talking about the stunts that he chooses. A car going through another car and 3 people flying in all directions. If you like this, I'm not judging you or anything. I'm sure many people like it and that's why he includes it in every movie of his (and now in other movies too).

What I'm trying to say here is purely my opinion on it and I agree that everyone has different tastes so I'm not passing judgement.

I got this list from First Week Box Office Records

#MovieWeek 1 CollectionsLead stars
1.Ek Tha Tiger118 crores (6 days)Salman Khan, Katrina Kaif
2.Bodyguard100.15 croresSalman Khan, Kareena Kapoor
3.Ra One91.27 croresShahrukh Khan, Kareena Kapoor
7.Rowdy Rathore76.13 croresAkshay Kumar, Sonakshi Sinha
9.Ready69.37 croresSalman Khan, Asin
10.Housefull 262.43 croresAkshay Kumar, John Abraham, Asin
11.Golmaal 362.29 croresAjay Devgan, Kareena Kapoor
12.Bol Bachchan60.50 croresAjay Devgan, Abhishek Bachchan, Asin
14.Cocktail54.25 croresSaif Ali Khan, Deepika Padukone, Diana Penty
17.Tees Maar Khan49.04 croresAkshay Kumar, Katrina Kaif
18.Singham48.87 croresAjay Devgan, Kajal Agarwal

These are amongst the top 20 grossers ever in Hindi Cinema (Listed on July 2012; you can probably include Dabangg 2 and Jab Tak Hai Jaan etc).

The disturbing thing, at least to me, is the fact almost all the movies earning the most money are the ones that have big production values and almost no sense of script or story. From what I noticed, this all started with the success of Dabangg. It spouted out Singham, Rowdy Rathore and Dabangg 2. I thought that was the end of it but I saw another trailer yesterday :|

Sure, there were good movies too which I simply loved like Paan Singh Tomar. But the box office runs on money. If only these type of movies start earning the most money, most filmmakers will not think twice before going in the same direction.

Anyways, this will be my last OT post on this. I may be too critical of the whole thing. But after being exposed to really good film-making (watching English movies and series and selected Hindi movies), my expectations have changed I guess.

^ Dont worry, we are getting some good movies too along with the crappy ones.

Kahaani made more than 10X the money of its budget, Can Ek tha tiger, Ra.one, rowdy etc give such ROI :)

Not to forget other good movies we enjoyed in 2012 like:

Paan Singh Tomar
Vicky Donor
English Vinglish
OH My God
Barfi( inspired movie but still a decent watch)
Gangs of wasseypur 1 & 2
Shanghai
Makkhi
Agneepath
etc..

So just vote with your wallet and watch the good ones in multiplexes, you can avoid the crappy ones based on trailers.

And the most important point: Keep following this thread for weekly ratings and views of fellow TE members which are much better than any professional critc review and ratings :)

<some cool table>
At first I wanted to like your post because that table you put looks so beautiful, but after looking at it's contents :O /rant

Btw I totally agree with you. Dabangg was okayish, but Ready, Bodygaurd were intolerable. Movies by Prabhudeva are utter crap IMO. And movies by SRK are total piece of shit.

What worries me is, movies which are awesome do NOT get what they deserve. Paan Singh Tomaar was way awesome movie & it totally deserved to sent to Oscar. Instead they went ahead with Barfi [which is NOT a bad movie, but copy from several Hollywood movies & music, which NOT is even close to a Oscar material]

Except Kahaani & GoW, I doubt if any other movies gained fame & earned money they deserved compared to Jab Thak Hai Crap, Shit Of The Year & Ek Tha Poop.

List of good movies
Totally agreed here ! [except for movie Agneepath]

At first I wanted to like your post because that table you put looks so beautiful, but after looking at it's contents :O /rant

Btw I totally agree with you. Dabangg was okayish, but Ready, Bodygaurd were intolerable. Movies by Prabhudeva are utter crap IMO. And movies by SRK are total piece of shit.

What worries me is, movies which are awesome do NOT get what they deserve. Paan Singh Tomaar was way awesome movie & it totally deserved to sent to Oscar. Instead they went ahead with Barfi [which is NOT a bad movie, but copy from several Hollywood movies & music, which NOT is even close to a Oscar material]

Except Kahaani & GoW, I doubt if any other movies gained fame & earned money they deserved compared to Jab Thak Hai Crap, Shit Of The Year & Ek Tha Poop.

Disclosure - Table was directly copied from that link, so no credit for me there.

And I totally agree with you on what you said about Paan Singh Tomar and other noteworthy movies like Kahaani and GoW.

When I heard Barfi is going for Oscars, all I could think was

'I don't want to live in this country anymore' :yawn:

Did someone just say Rohit Shetty is one of the best directors today?

Hindi comedies are a special kind of crap (very very few exceptions such as Khosla ka Ghosla) and those directed by Rohit Shetty take it to a different low altogether.
The only 'watchable' movie by Rohit Shetty was Singham and that was because it was a formula movie and a remake of some southern movie.

And before someone says how these movies are supposed to be popcorn flicks, that still doesn't mean they are good comedies.
I don't know why Bollywood thinks comedy films are supposed to be a series of gags (unfunny ones at that) without any real focus where you just try to bombard the viewer with as many shitty jokes per minute and hope something sticks. It's like watching a really bad 3-hour long sitcom.

Hindi comedies are a special kind of crap (very very few exceptions such as Khosla ka Ghosla) and those directed by Rohit Shetty take it to a different low altogether.
The only 'watchable' movie by Rohit Shetty was Singham and that was because it was a formula movie and a remake of some southern movie.

And before someone says how these movies are supposed to be popcorn flicks, that still doesn't mean they are good comedies.
I don't know why Bollywood thinks comedy films are supposed to be a series of gags (unfunny ones at that) without any real focus where you just try to bombard the viewer with as many shitty jokes per minute and hope something sticks. It's like watching a really bad 3-hour long sitcom.

I laugh when I watch Hindi comedies. Of course. At the people who paid to go watch 'em; and will do so again.

Hindi comedies are a special kind of crap (very very few exceptions such as Khosla ka Ghosla) and those directed by Rohit Shetty take it to a different low altogether. The only 'watchable' movie by Rohit Shetty was Singham and that was because it was a formula movie and a remake of some southern movie.

Pretty much spot on.
Still remember Shetty's comment that i make the movie for a common man. Dumb fellow cant make good classy movies and is targetting the 'Get the masses, cash register should clink' formula.

^^

I personally dont see anything wrong in him trying to earn money weather its formula movie or a classic...
He should earn money from it.. and thats the main reason behind movie making...

Movies are not just entertainment, but a very strong medium capable of encouraging or giving a large group of people a direction.

People with access to a platform in any form should atleast try to make something worthwhile atleast once/twice every year. You show the content to truckloads of people and instead of initiating a thought process or showcasing fine things about flim making, you are feeding them utter trash.

No wonder our movies dont get the recognition.

^^

I personally dont see anything wrong in him trying to earn money weather its formula movie or a classic...

That way even, criminals earn money. Does it make sense, what you are writing..?

^^

Let me tell you how these movies earn movies.
1. Get few DVDs of foreign films.
2. Copy plots and scenes from them.
3. Hire heroes and heroines.(I refuse to call them actors)
4. Make movie
5. Get CDs of international music and copy from them.
6. Film some crappy item song.
7. Sell movie rights to different companies
8. sell music rights to different companies (for annoying ringtones and caller tunes)
9. Market heavily.
10. The college-goers and families/friends looking to spend 'quality' time will go to multiplex.
11. Repeat step 10 for entire weekend.
12. People will start talking how crap that movie was.
13. Don't give a s**t about people because you've got your pockets full. F**k the people.

That way even, criminals earn money. Does it make sense, what you are writing..?

This is not an excuse! In the end of the these people are feeding you only what you want to see... if that was the case knowing that Dabang or any other later Salman Khan movie should have be a utter flop, I am not here to please any one.. as a film maker he is not oblidge to please you... he has to feed himself and yes buy a Ferrari also...
If these movie sell... people will be there to make money off it.

And as for your terming Film Make with Criminal is a nothing but a lame excuse,

Let me tell you how these movies earn movies.
3. Hire heroes and heroines.(I refuse to call them actors)
4. Make movie
5. Get CDs of international music and copy from them.
6. Film some crappy item song.
7. Sell movie rights to different companies
8. sell music rights to different companies (for annoying ringtones and caller tunes)
9. Market heavily.
10. The college-goers and families/friends looking to spend 'quality' time will go to multiplex.
11. Repeat step 10 for entire weekend.
12. People will start talking how crap that movie was.
13. Don't give a s**t about people because you've got your pockets full. F**k the people.

There are always inspired film makers, be it Nolan or any other
Hollywood/Bollywood... different trees but still the same wood.

- - - Updated - - -

Movies are not just entertainment, but a very strong medium capable of encouraging or giving a large group of people a direction.

People with access to a platform in any form should atleast try to make something worthwhile atleast once/twice every year. You show the content to truckloads of people and instead of initiating a thought process or showcasing fine things about flim making, you are feeding them utter trash.

No wonder our movies dont get the recognition.

Movies need not always be preachy..
It totally depend on the type of movies a director wants to make and is good at!

Movies need not always be preachy..
It totally depend on the type of movies a director wants to make and is good at!

Ofc they dont need to be, but if they are going to make a comedy.. make it with good content. Providing c grade jokes+ deplorable skit in the name of acting is def not the way to do it.

There will be audience for super trashy stuff always, it depends on the movie maker what sort of content he chooses to bring forth his product. If he hasnt got the talent to make a classy thing, then he doesnt.. Period. It looks even more foolish to corroborate a shortcoming by saying i am making a movie for a common man.
Using that pretext he has used monkeys in his movies to jump about and display their antics, and i as an audience wont be getting the money back once i have purchased the ticket. So that is a double whammy. Sad thing is, i have seen real circus with animals shows with better choreography than what he can muster.

Fact is that a successful movie feeds not just the director and the marquee stars in it, but also the families of 100s of technicians involved with it. A less successful or unsuccessful one (commercially) cannot do that. These masala films bring back far more money, and livelihood, to the industry than any of those 'different' films, which do a few rounds of film circuits, and earn praises from critics, but fail to gross anywhere near as much to go much beyond breaking even - and these are then termed as 'successes' by the media which, like with all other topics, has little to no clue what they are talking about.

The more visible actors, directors, music directors etc. walk away with their money, least bothered about if the others who earn per shift or day, have got their due. Even in this regard, Rohit recently paid for the technicians himself when Bol Bachchan when the producers made a mess of it. Haven't heard of Anurag Kashyap or Vishal Bharadwaj or other 'good' directors doing anything like that. Oh wait, their films don't earn so much for them to be able to do it.

There are always inspired film makers, be it Nolan or any other
Hollywood/Bollywood... different trees but still the same wood.

Yes, but the difference is that even if it is remake, it usually is good one and has few differences from original. Nolan's Insomnia is a remake and is much different along with few Nolan elements in it.
And you've used the word inspired. There is a huge difference between 'inspired by' and outright copied from several sources.
Hell, even that copying isn't done properly.
Do watch 13 Tzameti and then Luck, Oldboy and then Zinda, Fight Club and then well... Fight Club, perhaps then you'll know what I'm talking about.

Back