Blue Screen error in Windows 7

Well, I can guarantee that its not an OC issue on Win 7 64 bit. I OCed my processor to 3.7GHz, my 4770 to 850/1000 ( stock 750/800 ) and yet haven't got a single BSOD till date and I'm using the retail copy of Win 7 ultimate 64bit ( 7600 version ).

I suspect a driver issue.

Aman/Igo/Meghna:

Try to "attempt to load the last known good configuration". Also here is a good utility to analyze the dumps. Would love to check the BSOD dumps, you guys are getting, but do not have enough time. And Step C, from this URL, tells and guides how to use the Debugging Tool. While implementing the corrective measure, you might do registry changes -- take backup, and install new software -- create a roll back restore point.

Also regarding OC. I have been using Win7 Ultimate, 64BIT for quite some months. No issue with stability. Yes, I have had 3-4 BSODs, but I pinned them down to some registry errors and corrupt installations.

^^ i will try this but one thing i wanna ask you guys i.e can beta graphic driver are risky?

i am using that latest geforce beta driver and all you guys i am only having BSOD while paying any game recently i had in Call of duty Modern warfare 2......if its because of vga driver WTF is that in bluescreen view(caused by driver is ntoskrnl.exe)

I had the same blue screen error ....mostly for it comes when i start downloading a torrent or watching movie's after research in the internet i just installed the latest driver's for my LAN card it got solved and then never ever any blue screen error's

Thanks for the input guys.

What's bugging me out is that we don't get BSOD when doing something... I mean, when we are logged in and doing something then everything is fine. This thing happens only while booting... more specifically, starting the PC after, say about an hour or more, after shutting it down. If I restart, it boots proper. But if I shutdown and start the PC after a while, 2 out of 3 times I get BSOD.

Would be some file(s) which are used for boot purpose. Try to get the culprit using the utilities I suggested.

Waiting for the answer of this question>>>

i wanna ask you guys i.e can beta graphic driver are risky?

i am using that latest geforce beta driver and all you guys i am only having BSOD while paying any game recently i had in Call of duty Modern warfare 2......if its because of vga driver WTF is that in bluescreen view(caused by driver is ntoskrnl.exe)

^^

Would suggest then to roll-back to a WHQL nVidia driver. Officially from the site. Make sure it is NON-Beta. It can yes.

asingh said:
^^

Would suggest then to roll-back to a WHQL nVidia driver. Officially from the site. Make sure it is NON-Beta. It can yes.

Ok i will do that but why didn't it said in bluescreen view that its caused by some nvidia driver:S why its ntoskrnl.exe:S am sure this BSOD is because of some game or vga driver...i never get BSOD while surfing or downloading or while booting

@..:: Free Radical ::. didn't try windows 7 32bit but in xp 32bit it was there

Thanks everyone for the inputs !

iGo said:
On Maggi's case... some more info...

Will you leave some real estate for me to comment and write ? or you wanna do the whole writing and commenting ? :p

..:: Free Radical ::.. said:
Yep, even my rig is prime stable / memtest stable, infact I didn't have this issue with win 7/ Vista 32 bit (never tried Vista x64), but with the 64 bit Win 7.

Try Win 7 x86. I am almost certain you'll not get the bsods. I reckon you don't have this problem with WinXP?

Need to try the 32bit Radical... However, i put 64bit coz i have 4 GB Ram... Now if i have to turn to 32 bit it dosen't make sense.. coz i wud be sacrificing close to 1gb of memory ! Have never tried Vista... don't like it. Will try putting the Windows XP for testing... but don't like XP nemore having used Win7 (note its the RC version yet) on Yogi's system.

asingh said:
Aman/Igo/Meghna:

Try to "attempt to load the last known good configuration". Also here is a good utility to analyze the dumps. Would love to check the BSOD dumps, you guys are getting, but do not have enough time. And Step C, from this URL, tells and guides how to use the Debugging Tool. While implementing the corrective measure, you might do registry changes -- take backup, and install new software -- create a roll back restore point.

Also regarding OC. I have been using Win7 Ultimate, 64BIT for quite some months. No issue with stability. Yes, I have had 3-4 BSODs, but I pinned them down to some registry errors and corrupt installations.

Thanks for this.. will try what you suggested... Its so irritating to keep trying n fighting things out when you have so many other things to be done :( On other note.. i feel i shld've gone for an iMac

Aman31 said:
^^ i will try this but one thing i wanna ask you guys i.e can beta graphic driver are risky?

Graphic card here reminds me of something.. When my rig was built and installed earlier i had Sapphire 4770 in it.. and Win 7 was great with no issues.
One noteable difference is that the dumps n restarts have started showing after migrating this new card with Yogi's older one (Sapphire 3870 Toxic). Not sure if that does matter. However have even stepped down a version of the drivers to be safe...

..:: Free Radical ::.. said:
You guys never replied, do you get this problem on x86 or some other os like Ubuntu?
Can just be some badly written driver.

Not ubuntu... As mentioned earlier will try 32 bit.. didn't try coz of the reasons mentioned earlier.

Another note - I even tried increasing the hibernation file size to 100% of Ram (Read it sumwhere) but didn't help as it did for a few ppl.

meghna said:
Graphic card here reminds me of something.. When my rig was built and installed earlier i had Sapphire 4770 in it.. and Win 7 was great with no issues.

One noteable difference is that the dumps n restarts have started showing after migrating this new card with Yogi's older one (Sapphire 3870 Toxic). Not sure if that does matter. However have even stepped down a version of the drivers to be safe...

Forget about ATI cards they are good but their driver really really sucks that's why just 1 months back i switched to NVIDIA:eek:hyeah: that too because of that saboteur game which was ATI optimized and was not even able to play 1 stage on my ATI 4890:mad: so don't talk about ATI on this thread...No more ATI for me:no: till their drivers get a big change, i am happy with NVIDIA, even if fermi doesn't beat ATI DX11, ill stay on NVIDIA ONLY now i have completed that saboteur game with no issue(awesome game)

This BSOD i have faced after a long time only with Call of Duty MW2 then i thought ther must be some issue with game then bought another copy of game but still that BSOD

Well, may be you should unplug the graphic card and see if you get BSOD with the IGP. And don't forget to change the driver.

Aman31 said:
Forget about ATI cards they are good but their driver really really sucks that's why just 1 months back i switched to NVIDIA:eek:hyeah: that too because of that saboteur game which was ATI optimized and was not even able to play 1 stage on my ATI 4890:mad: so don't talk about ATI on this thread...No more ATI for me:no: till their drivers get a big change, i am happy with NVIDIA, even if fermi doesn't beat ATI DX11, ill stay on NVIDIA ONLY now i have completed that saboteur game with no issue(awesome game)
This BSOD i have faced after a long time only with Call of Duty MW2 then i thought ther must be some issue with game then bought another copy of game but still that BSOD

Well, mine runs perfectly when there are apps and other things happening on it. However its just after i shutdown and reboot it after a few hours it starts dumping. I've just upgraded to the new bios as it was available.. will check how it goes else m gonna put the 32 bit Win7 and be happy with it !

sabby said:
Well, may be you should unplug the graphic card and see if you get BSOD with the IGP. And don't forget to change the driver.

My Mobo doesn't have an IGP *sulk*

meghna said:
Well, mine runs perfectly when there are apps and other things happening on it. However its just after i shutdown and reboot it after a few hours it starts dumping. I've just upgraded to the new bios as it was available.. will check how it goes else m gonna put the 32 bit Win7 and be happy with it !

Yours runs perfect because may be you don't do gaming much...i bought this high end vga card for gaming not for updating bios and facing issue like that saboteur incidence(ATI optimized and not running on ATI:mad: after that i had a very bad impression on ATI) and Why should a user update bios and take a huge risk, a user should only update the drivers thats all and its not about 32 or 64bit OS(in this BSOD for me)
Any way i will re-install the OS and let you people know, what the result:)

@TE
Don't we have expert on TE regarding this BSOD who has a very good experience on this BSOD that freeradical link helped me a lot but still and i don't want to take my PC to any local computer repair they behave like users are idiots, and will say you have to leave your pc for one day:mad: i trust TE it will get this issue solved here only but need your support:)

meghna said:
My Mobo doesn't have an IGP *sulk*

Well, then try again with the 4770 or any other card. I mean just change the card and don't change a single setting be it software or hardware. If the problem vanishes, then its definitely the graphic card.

Aman31 said:
Yours runs perfect because may be you don't do gaming much...i bought this high end vga card for gaming not for updating bios and facing issue like that saboteur incidence(ATI optimized and not running on ATI:mad: after that i had a very bad impression on ATI) and Why should a user update bios and take a huge risk, a user should only update the drivers thats all and its not about 32 or 64bit OS(in this BSOD for me)
Any way i will re-install the OS and let you people know, what the result:)
)

Its not just a matter of gaming.. i mite not be a hardcore gamer.. but i do game on my system. Also, i do heavy graphic editing work so having a graphic card does help there. Sorry to hear abt your ATI driver problems.. but so far i've had experience of two ATI cards and i have been quite content with their drivers. Nevertheless, i've had my fair share of problems / glitches with nvidia and ATI.. so both of them are far from perfect. As for the Bios its not enforced on every user.. but i beleive that it should be updated just like your drivers as it brings bugfixes and more stability to ones hardware.. i dont see any reason y it shlould be treated as a risk unless ur trying to mod or cross flash.

sabby said:
Well, then try again with the 4770 or any other card. I mean just change the card and don't change a single setting be it software or hardware. If the problem vanishes, then its definitely the graphic card.

For now my problem seems to be little under control after the BIOS and chipset driver update. After the last reboot the system did not dump on me.. However my resolution seems to reset to the lowest on each reboot and i have to manually set it up. So i guess the next thing i need to do is try changing the grapic card to what it was earlier (Yogi gimme my card back - :p) and if that dosen't work then, try installing Win 7 - 32 bit ! Wish me Luck !

@Aman31
i'm running my amd 720be OCed at 3.8ghz no issues both in win7 64 and 32.
So i dont find a reason why you cant your system at stocks on 7.

But you should try first on stock setup on win7 32bit. It is the best as compared to 64bit. And make sure you are not using any external eyecandy decorative things on 7 and also disable gadgets/widgets.

Also use only single hdd at a time and if incase you have more hdds then try shifting to another for the time. And i repeat keep your bios and system at stocks and also if you have Sideport Memory in bios disable it. Its of no use if you using a gfx card.
While gaming disable any antivirus/temp monitor and etc.

And i hope you are having legemate win7 and not any ripped iso from the net which can b also at its bets the real culprit.

try this all n finally let us know.

finally when all done and if still its same then downgrade or upgrade your bios. Google for previous stable bios.

Back