Biscuits/ Cookies Recommendations

They dont want to fool the public by labeling ata and making in maida..
How is this sort of false advertisement allowed?

Edit: What about this biscuit? https://www.patanjaliayurved.net/pr...-and-cookies/patanjali-digestive-cookies/3701

gh.png

Can I trust this as 100% atta?

Edit: Almost all Patanjali biscuits are advertised 100% atta. Why aren't other companies doing this?
Things made with regular wheat flour don't taste as good as Maida (=ultra-processed wheat flour).

Businesses are businesses. They are supposed to make money. They can't make money in the 21st century without boosting customers' dopamine (= hormone of addiction).

It's the same reason why wheat is used instead of barley or jowar. Their flour taste worse.

Is there any biscuit which is not made with maida though? Any Atta made biscuits available in India?

Edit: Almost all Patanjali biscuits are advertised 100% atta. Why aren't other companies doing this?
They are only ADVERTISED to fool andh ramdev bhakts. No biscuit is 100% ata. Btw pure ata biscuits are extremely brittle if you ask me as my wife is a prof. baker and chef. and we make our own cookies, biscuits, pizza base and even breads and burger buns at home..
There's a lot of processed stuff used which entirely isn't published on the packet. FDA knows it as well but thoda jugaad chalta hai as eod everyone wants to earn either on fines, taxes, profits or commissions!

Same goes for bread, there's no pure bread like a 110% wheat bread or shit...without gluten bread cannot be made!
How is this sort of false advertisement allowed?
Its India and its ramdev who has govts full support. He can even sell 100% medicinal poison advertised as it wont kill :D

Last edited:
@nRiTeCh
What oven do you use for baking at home? Want to start the same by the end of the year for home safe foods as you mentioned. Worried about the so called junk food gene in mine.

I don't know about Patanjali but I do know that everyone has started indulging in those tactics. The common Wheat bread from a manufacturer has 2 varieties of Wheat bread... My cousin said gluten makes us become a glutton, that much is correct in my experience.

Nothing will ever beat freshly baked. But then you're limited to that baker in that part of town and you hope his kids will take up the profession :grumpy:
Thankfully they are their for generations and hopefully they continue.

Thanks for cookie man, UNIBIC tips...will try them out later.

I like unibic cookies, they sell in different flavors. Most of them taste good and feel like home made.
I love Unibic. They appear to be the only ones making "coarser" cookie style biscuits (I think some of theirs actually use rava/semolina as ingredients to give a coarser feel).
Fake cookies by others only appear like cookie, but one bite and you realize that it is same ol' plain biscuit made using extremely fine size maida, giving the same mouthfeel.

Anyway, too much sugar in the unibic cookies.

Is there any biscuit which is not made with maida though? Any Atta made biscuits available in India?
All biscuits and cookies have "too much sugar" (at least 20-25% by weight) that's why people eat them (are addicted to them).
Only the ones marketed as digestive or the salty ones will not have much sugar.

On the topic of maida, you should actually ask about maida + shortening.
Lets take atta vs maida first: Atta roti vs Maida roti. Atta gets spoilt with time, Maida does not. Most of the FMCG are manufactured to last few months at least - therefore the natural choice is maida. Also, maida appeals more to most people's palate (soft) compared to whole wheat.
Next question about shortening (fat), one needs to add tons of it to the flour because otherwise wheat gluten forms chains during proofing, and this makes the cooked dough chewy (desirable in breads but not in cakes and biscuits). Addition of shortening limits the gluten chain lengths so that at microscopic level the finished product is chewy but at macroscopic level it is flakey.
Using any other flour will not yield same physical properties. Of course, the taste will also be way off.

That should also answer the questions about 100% whole wheat / atta biscuits.
As long as no other flour is being used it is OK to say 100% atta. Since other ingredients like fat, sugar, salt, raising agent (soda) will still need to be added to ANy bakery product.

Last edited:
Shortbread cookies by Walker's: https://us.walkersshortbread.com/product/snack-pack-fingers-150-ct. Simply, the best I have had. My daughter does make something very close though.
I LOVED these! They are a bit expensive but with tea it becomes very filling. Too much butter, so have to look out for it! Anyways I can't eat more than 4 cookies in single sitting.

I also used to eat NutriChoice Sugarfree cracker - https://www.amazon.in/Britannia-Nutri-Choice-Cracker-Simply/dp/B00S9BT6RA?th=1

I would either have it with sliced banana drizzled with honey, or cheese + sliced eggs, and have it for breakfast. They are quite dry as well, but with the additional fillings go down very well.

How is "Lotus Biscoff"? I have seen desserts (cheesecakes, milkshake) and spreads based on this. I have never had it but I have had Unibic Biscott which is probably its knockoff. I have eaten Unibic so someone who has had both, are both same in taste?

Btw I recently picked up one coffee cracker biscuit from Britannia and it was pretty good. Coffee taste biscuits.

The best cookies I've had are the oats and raisin cookie I bake myself. Nothing comes close to it, with the delicious goodness of brown sugar and coarse texture and crumbly consistency imparted by oats combines with fluffiness lent by eggs.

Try baking sometime, the effort you put in it makes it tastes 10 times better than anything you can buy off the shelf.

For store bought, Karachi bakery is of course quite good. They have many flavours. If you ever stop at Hyderabad, you should definitely check out their various flavours. I went to their store at the airport to get one or two boxes and ended up buying 5.

Pune's Kayani Bakery's cookies are good. Apparently people queue up for an hour even before the store opens, they sell out so fast. @napstersquest might opine here, if he has tried.

Among branded ones, Hide & Seek coffee flavour is my favourite. I quite like Sunfeast's oats cookies as well, though, not everybody will like that.

I used to LOVE the 'Deluxe' Fruit Toast when I was living in Aurangabad (Chh. Sambhajinagar, Maharashtra). @anikptl can vouch.
Whenever I travel there, I stock a few.

For Kayani Bakery in Pune, few people from my office often bring items from there for everyone and we love it. But I personally don't buy much of bakery items as I am trying to loose weight (for a few years now XD)

Recently went to Aurangabad, I wish I had known about this then. I love trying regional food stuff of this kind. Maybe I should start a thread in the general talk section for this.
That, (and this may be off-topic), but Jalgaon's Baba Farsaan are my absolute favourite. Not available wherever I looked in Pune. Found it in Aurangabad.

The best cookies I've had are the oats and raisin cookie I bake myself. Nothing comes close to it, with the delicious goodness of brown sugar and coarse texture and crumbly consistency imparted by oats combines with fluffiness lent by eggs.
How long will they keep?
Try baking sometime, the effort you put in it makes it tastes 10 times better than anything you can buy off the shelf.
No doubt. I remember having some chocolate chip ones a while back and they were better than pepperidge. The batch we made was over by the next day or so

I used to LOVE the 'Deluxe' Fruit Toast when I was living in Aurangabad (Chh. Sambhajinagar, Maharashtra). @anikptl can vouch.
Whenever I travel there, I stock a few.

For Kayani Bakery in Pune, few people from my office often bring items from there for everyone and we love it. But I personally don't buy much of bakery items as I am trying to loose weight (for a few years now XD)
Yes, the Deluxe Fruit Toast is undoubtedly the best over here in our city! You can have it with milk/tea as well as plain. Even I stock them regularly at home. I remember during the first lockdown, while I spent time watching movies or playing games, I used to literally have a small meal out of these toasts!! :p:D I had gained a lot of weight back then due to this habit! :p

The next time you visit our city, do try the cookies from Delfin Bakery.
Recently went to Aurangabad, I wish I had known about this then. I love trying regional food stuff of this kind. Maybe I should start a thread in the general talk section for this.
I think we must have a dedicated thread here on TE for highlighting regional cuisines from all the cities and states in India.

Back