Car & Bike Best Motorcycle for a Beginner

F3niX

TechH0LiC
Skilled
Hi
I have just recently started learning how to Ride on my friends Pulsar 180. I was actually stuck on buying an Aviator for driving in city, but now bikes caught my attention.
I am ~6' well built guy weighing 78KG, aged 21. I am about to buy my first bike soon, Maybe in a week (or two at max) and need your suggestions

Requirements:
  1. Good Ride Comfort and Handling.
  2. Should have good riding position and pillion comfort.
  3. A good refined engine. FE is not much of a problem as I take it out for small distances, in city. But it shouldn't burn my pocket. (Still a student -last semester)
  4. I will sometimes go on a long drive on highway to college (once a week) ,so it should not have the vibration problem ( as in Apache)
  5. Should be beginner friendly and safe. Of course will also be buying good gear along with it.
  6. Should have a good design.

Budget: upto 65 or 70K. Can stretch it a bit.

Considerations: None.I live in Hyderabad, and the traffic over here is a nightmare! So, I was thinking if you can suggest me a good one. Also suggest

Your best bet would be Honda Unicorn. It's like Maruti Alto of 150 bikes. Fill it. Shut it. Forget it. According to me it has the best seating comfort after Suzuki GS150R in this price range. You can see many travelogues on people who've gone to Leh on Unicorn. So that speaks a lot about it. And since you're only 21 right now, I'm sure you'll be changing your bike soon once you land a cushy job or something...so in that scenario...this bike will command an outstanding resale value compared to others.

BTW. This is coming to you from a Karizma/Pulsar/KB100/Samurai/Yezdi/LML/Activa/KineticHonda owner.

(Yes, I'm slightly crazy about 2wheelers)

Thank you. I just checked all models online and I am now considering the CBZ Xtreme, Apache 160.
Unicorn Dazzler is my next choice. So, can you suggest one of these?
BTW I plan to use it for 3 years atleast. And yeah, I can see that you are crazy :p

Honda Unicorn is pure butter. Pure comfort if you ride on highways and proper roads. Pot holes, the suspension is a bit stiff.
CBZ Xtreme is good but not as good as Unicorn in smoothness although it is an Unicorn engine but a bit modified for the punch.
But still get a CBZ, it will be fine.

Everyone is suggesting the Unicorn. Looks like its a winner. But how is the Unicorn Dazzler compared to the plain unicorn?

There's nothing like beginners bike. Get any bike you want. I started with Fazer and I love it. Handles and works awesome and don't forget the looks :p

I'd say get a bike either from Yamaha or Honda. You'll seriously regret going with indian brethren specially Bajaj.

Keep Unicorn and FZ in your list in that budget.

6rsink.jpg

Have a look at Yamaha FZ-S too.

The Suzuki GS150R and the Honda Unicorn (not dazzler) would be my suggestion for a beginner. These both bike are more or less the same and help the rider be comfortable and builds a really nice idea of what a bike should be like. HH is super duper "meh". Don't even get me started on Bajaj. I had a Honda Unicorn but I sold it to get a HH Karizma R last year. I have regrets coz the bike despite being costlier and bigger in engine capacity is built stupidly.
Do what ever you want bu stay away from HH or Bajaj.

Thank you for all your suggestions.
Yeah, I am slowly getting used to riding, but somehow the controls of P180 seems contrained for me. Maybe because I am just getting started.
I am seriously considering the Unicorn, but it looks somewhat old, and thats why I asked if the dazzler is the same or not.
Looks of dazzler are comparatively better.

Also most of my friends suggested Apache RTR 160, the new one. Can you tell me how it fares?

You can see many travelogues on people who've gone to Leh on Unicorn. So that speaks a lot about it.

Driving in Leh has nothing to do with the bike, its all about the driver. I rode my friends xcd 125 in Kashmir/Leh and it gave a flawless performance.

Driving in Leh has nothing to do with the bike, its all about the driver. I rode my friends xcd 125 in Kashmir/Leh and it gave a flawless performance.

So are you suggesting XCD125 for the OP? If yes, then quote him. Why I suggested Unicorn is because of the following OP's requirements...

Requirements:

1. Good Ride Comfort and Handling. (XCD125 is nowhere matchable to Unicorn here)
  2. Should have good riding position and pillion comfort. (Ditto as above)
  3. A good refined engine. FE is not much of a problem as I take it out for small distances, in city. But it shouldn't burn my pocket. (Still a student -last semester) (Ditto)
  4. I will sometimes go on a long drive on highway to college (once a week) ,so it should not have the vibration problem ( as in Apache) (Ditto)
  5. Should be beginner friendly and safe. Of course will also be buying good gear along with it. (Subjective)
  6. Should have a good design. (Subjective)

So don't pick up the most thrown around statement on the biking forums: "It's not the bike, but the biker..." in the argument, rather answer to the OP's requirement and substantiate it your views. I've done Leh 4 times on a 100cc, 150cc, 225cc and a 500cc bike. So yeah, it's never about the bike. :p

So are you suggesting XCD125 for the OP? If yes, then quote him. Why I suggested Unicorn is because of the following OP's requirements...

Did I quote your entire post, no.

Did I say anything about unicorn or about op's requirements, no.

I didnt want anyone to get mislead by your one specific line that just because people use an unicorn in Leh then it must be good.

So yeah, it's never about the bike.

exactly

I am not an expert on bikes but I have ridden a lot. A lot of the comments seem to be fan boy stuff in the sense the advice is "buy this one, do not buy the other" . I would say buy the one you want too. Anything within 200 cc and you are good to go. I started with a Bajaj Pulsar 150cc and that was quite some time back when the choices were far less and Honda and Yamaha had nothing for the Indian market. My My first 25000 km's were on that. As long as you take good care of your bike, do not let others drive your bike (this is important as too many friends riding your bike spoils the same), do regular servicing, she will serve you well. Of course, goes without saying that you need to keep your common sense which includes your helmet and your boots.

Do not ask too many people, buy the one that you feel like. I would personally never buy an Unicorn as I find the looks ugly and plain. (Please do not start a flame war, this is my personal perception which I am entitled to have).

So,

1. See the bikes in flesh.

2. Ride her

3. Dil jo bole, pick her.

It's like falling for your girl (minus step 2 ) :lol:

I didnt want anyone to get mislead by your one specific line that just because people use an unicorn in Leh then it must be good.

exactly

But that one specific line has become to most common line when it comes to answering long-distance ride (on xbhp, bcm or IM). When I said many people have gotten Leh'd on this particular bike, I only meant to say that (even though I don't own this bike) his point no. 3 in requirement is taken care of. In no way I'm promoting that other bikes can't do it. Heck, I've gotten Leh'd on my humble KB100 without any problem.

But as @raj_pol suggested, best way would be to decide by taking test-drives. And don't forget to take your friend along to testify to the pillion comfort.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude go for YAMAHA FZ. Next preference is CBZ extreme. As you are saying you want to use it for 3 years. No other bikes can give you a good life for three years.

Personally I'm using Karizma R. But your budget didn't fit for it. Else i would have suggested you.

But as said by all the previous members

Have a ride,
Check your comfort,
Check on mileage(if you are concern),
Service center response(All service centers are not quite responsive)

I agree lots of fanboy posts here, just test rides few bikes and then buy according your preference, any bike be it unicorn,pulsar,apache will serve you well unless you dont service at required intervals and the bike key stays only with you.

Now, my fanboy post: Hate the way unicorn looks and feel and the way honda lists even basics like number plates as accessories.

The RTR 160 is a powerful bike with good handling but i dont think it will be comfortable for a 6 feet guy. But still test ride once, visit the showrooms and test ride the :

Suzuki GS150R
RTR 160 and 180
Pulsar 200NS if budget permits.

Back