Security Software Best Free Anti-Virus for Windows 7

Yes, IE needs to be installed on the system as Windows uses some of its settings for updates, etc.

MBAM is actually a good tool to have. It is great as a secondary scanner, and occasional scans can be done with it to make sure there are no malware on the system.

PS: Since you are using XP, it would have been better if you had started a new thread :).

Boot scan, Full scan-both done. More 29 infection caught & removed by Avast. Windows Firewall OFF.

Booting speed restored by PC. Should I really need to download Antimalware tool also?

Its bit tidious to remember scanning. Can't we set such AV scan on Auto or at regular interval?

It seems like your system was, or is, infected. I will definitely advise you to download MBAM, and run full system scan with it, to make sure that there is no malware remaining on the system. Due to the various amount of malware that are around, chances are that antimalware tools may find additional malware.

In the case of heavy infection, it's actually good to scan the system with different security software. Although Avast is quite good, but I would still recommend scanning with other security software, like MBAM, Superantispyware free, and Hitman Pro.

I will also suggest scanning with an antivirus removal CD, like Kaspersky Rescue Disc, or BitDefender Rescue CD. Both are available for free. You download the ISO images for the CDs, and write these images on a blank CD, and then boot the computer with those CDs, and run a scan. Very useful in the case of heavy malware infection. If you need the links, and cannot find them on your own, post back, and I will post the links.

It's important to make sure that there is no infection remaining on the system, otherwise, it's a chance that the infection will again increase with time. It's a pain yes, to scan the system with different security software, but if you system is infected, it has to be done. Some of the malware can be really hard to get rid of, and hide in places, or, just reappear.

Another thing, I would also advise to turn System Restore off, if you have it turned on, before scanning. Reason is, that malware often hide in System Restore, and then reappear again.

About scanning, well, you can scan as you like, like in a month, or more, or 15 days. Generally, if your system is clean, and you use safe browsing habits, and do not engage in risky activities on the internet, then there won't be any need to scan frequently, but if you do engage in risky habits, then depending on the activities, the frequency should be setup for a scan. It's easy to remember, just make a note of the date of the scans in a notepad or something to have a reference to.

It seems like your system was, or is, infected. I will definitely advise you to download MBAM, and run full system scan with it,
I will also suggest scanning with an antivirus removal CD, like Kaspersky Rescue Disc, or BitDefender Rescue CD. Both are available for free. You download the ISO images for the CDs,
how's this-->http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Popup-Ad-Spyware-Blockers/SpyBotSearch-Destroy.shtml
And
Is this ok?---> http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/Kaspersky-Rescue-Disk.shtml
Another thing, I would also advise to turn System Restore off, if you have it turned on, before scanning. Reason is, that malware often hide in System Restore, and then reappear again.
How?o_O

Last edited:
Spybot Search and Destroy was quite good many years ago, but not nowadays. MBAM and SAS are better.

Yes, the link from Softpedia would work for Kaspersky Rescue Disk. I like to download from the website itself, so if you want, you can download from here:

http://support.kaspersky.com/4162

The link is in this line "You can download the distributive of Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 from Kaspersky Lab servers."

The file is an ISO file, and it's an image file, and has to be written to a blank CD. I hope you know how to write an image on a CD. It won't be a usual data CD.

To turn off System Restore, see here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-xp-system-restore-guide/#disable

Which disc burning software do you use? The process is quite easy. All disc burning software have the option to burn an image. I use BurnAware free, and on that, there is the feature to "Burn Image". I click on it, and I point out the ISO file to burn, and that's it.

-System Restore - OFF
-Windows Firewall - ON (No issue for slow booting, happy!)
-MBAM as secondary AV tool - ON BOARD now. 7 malware caught & removed above to AVAST. But 13 days trial version! Can I have possible extended period link here.

-Should I keep turn ON Automatic Updates by Windows. Alerting me by baloon message repeatedly.

There seem to be malware on your system. I think it would be better if you ran a scan with Kaspersky Rescue CD once, and also Avast boot scanning. You need to make sure that the system is malware free.

If you need any expert help with malware removal, you can also post at Bleeping Computer forum:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

Also, if the infection is heavy, after scanning, maybe it would be better just to format the system and install Windows fresh. Do take backup of your personal data before doing that.

MalwareBytes has a free version which comes included with the trial version. So, once the trial version is over, it will revert to the free version.

If your Windows is genuine, then please do turn on Automatic Updates. If not, it's better to turn it off. You can turn off automatic updates from the Services in the Control Panel under Administrative Tools.

Lol OP first you should dig root cause of system slowness. It is rarely the AV, use Ccleaner and Defraggler. Report back.

Lol OP first you should dig root cause of system slowness. It is rarely the AV, use Ccleaner and Defraggler. Report back.

If you read the posts, he has already run CCleaner and defrag.

Also, there can be several reasons for a system slowness, or increase in boot time. Antivirus can also be one of the reason too... it's not so rare, as you say. A heavy performing AV can cause a system slowness specially on a system with low end specs.

If you had read the posts, he said in his latest post that there was no system slowdown presently.

The probable cause for system slowness in this case was probably because of the malware, because he keeps finding and clearing them.[DOUBLEPOST=1395160729][/DOUBLEPOST]@6pack , that's a good point about XP updates. Still, till April 2014, he can get the updates if he has a genuine copy of Windows, which will enhance the security, as a patched system is always good.

There seem to be malware on your system. I think it would be better if you ran a scan with Kaspersky Rescue CD once, and also Avast boot scanning. You need to make sure that the system is malware free.
My bad, still u suggest CD though having AVAST & MBAM. Boot scan already done.

If you read the posts, he has already run CCleaner and defrag.

If you had read the posts, he said in his latest post that there was no system slowdown presently.

The probable cause for system slowness in this case was probably because of the malware, because he keeps finding and clearing them.[DOUBLEPOST=1395160729][/DOUBLEPOST]@6pack , that's a good point about XP updates. Still, till April 2014, he can get the updates if he has a genuine copy of Windows, which will enhance the security, as a patched system is always good.
System speed just fine. Nop, XP is crash version.

I feel really butter smooth now though boot scan through MBAM still pending.

My bad, still u suggest CD though having AVAST & MBAM. Boot scan already done.

Since Avast caught malware, and after that MBAM too, I would suggest scanning with the Kaspersky Rescue CD too, to make sure there are no other malware on the PC.

I feel really butter smooth now though boot scan through MBAM still pending.

Good to know system is running great :).
MBAM doesn't have any boot scan feature. If you have scanned the system with it, that's great. You can run a full system scan again to make sure there are no more malware.

Good to know system is running great :).
MBAM doesn't have any boot scan feature. If you have scanned the system with it, that's great. You can run a full system scan again to make sure there are no more malware.
Thanks Bro. MBAM full scan to do.

Since Avast caught malware, and after that MBAM too, I would suggest scanning with the Kaspersky Rescue CD too, to make sure there are no other malware on the PC.
Will do & repost here.:)

MalwareBytes has a free version which comes included with the trial version. So, once the trial version is over, it will revert to the free version.
MBAM is expiring having alert message of 2 days!
Should I do anything? It works pretty fine don't wanna to miss it above to AVAST.

As I said, it should revert to the free version after the trial period is over. No need to do anything.

BTW, there is a new version of MBAM out.. version 2. I think you might be running version 1.75. Uninstall that version and then install the new version after downloading it. While installing, pay attention to the screens... towards the end there is a checkbox that says whether you want to try the trial version... you can uncheck that box to just install it as a free version. After the trial period, it will revert to free version anyways.

@CapriAnupam: Bro; MBAM 2.0 on board, what say?
upload_2014-3-29_0-41-12.png

Back