Security Software Best Free Anti-Virus for Windows 7

bssunilreddy

Skilled
Hi,

I am presently using Microsoft Essentials but my system is slowing down when I am online or doing even simple tasks. Please share me links about any free Anti-Virus Software which is light on resources but also have an in built firewall as well.

I am using kaspersky internet security on my system for last few years and never had any hiccups or slowdowns.

Free antivirus does not perform anywhere close to NIS or KIS, though MSE is considered good but not great.

if you want an AV solution for free, which has minimal impact on your PC
try the following combination
1)Avira Free Antivirus
2)Comodo Firewall Free

Avira AntiVir is the best choice for a freeware antivirus.

I had used it for many years, until I switched back to Kaspersky Internet Security 2 years back, as i needed some other features along with the Antivirus like firewall, moneysafe...It costs around 500Rs. So its not that expensive either.

But as a freeware Avira Antivir is the best. Very light on the system.

I've been using Avast + Comodo for years, after having given up on AVG because it became too slow and bloated.
But, I fear Avast too is becoming bloated. When I auto-updated to version 8, it auto-installed add-ons like software informer that kept checking for updates to all my programs (like I need another program asking me to install updates every 5 minutes!), even though I kept disabling it in the Avast menu. Eventually, I had to resort to online forums for help in uninstalling the module (through add-remove programs).

@bssunil , there are other choices for free antivirus like Avast and Avira. I have used both, and both are excellent free antivirus. I personally like Avast, and have been using it for years. It's quite lightweight, despite having many features.

There are some other choices too. You can take a look at this review and make the decision yourself:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-anti-virus-software.htm

Avira and Avast do not have a firewall however. If you want a free antivirus with firewall, then you should go for Comodo Internet Security. However, the detection rate is lower than Avast and Avira. But, if you are OK with that, then go for it.

I will suggest that you install either Avast or Avira, and install firewall separately. Firewall in Windows 7 is quite sufficient, and very good, so you can use that... but if you want a separate firewall, please look at this review:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-firewall.htm

Good luck :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Free antivirus does not perform anywhere close to NIS or KIS, though MSE is considered good but not great.

Please do not make such false statements... such statements misguide others. Free antivirus perform at par, and sometimes even better than the commercial antivirus. There are excellent free choices available for antivirus, and suggestions have already been made in this thread.

Free antivirus are in no way less than commercial antivirus, and actually free antivirus may be the better solution in most of the cases. Commercial antivirus come with extra features, which the general users might not need. Detection rate of free antivirus, like Avast and Avira, are excellent and at par with the commercial antivirus.

Such statements like yours actually misguide others, and propogate false information that free antivirus are no good at all. Many people still believe this false info. This is not true at all. Free antivirus are no less, and are even better than commercial antivirus.

But, I fear Avast too is becoming bloated. When I auto-updated to version 8, it auto-installed add-ons like software informer that kept checking for updates to all my programs (like I need another program asking me to install updates every 5 minutes!), even though I kept disabling it in the Avast menu. Eventually, I had to resort to online forums for help in uninstalling the module (through add-remove programs).

During installation, Avast gives you the choice whether you want to install the different components or not. But, for that, you have to choose the option of custom installation. And these installation choices are even better with the new Avast 8, because they have really improved the installation procedure.

The choice to install the software update utility is provided during installation, and I think you missed that. As you found out, the features can also be removed later via Add/Remove. Another solution is to uninstall and reinstall Avast.

Yes, Avast team is constantly adding new features to Avast, and I too feel that maybe they are being over zealous and it's increasing the bloat. But, good thing is that Avast still uses very little system resources, and runs light on the system. I have been using Avast for years now... used earlier on XP, and now have been using it on my new system with Windows 8.. it works great, and I am pretty satisfied with it.

@bssunil , there are other choices for free antivirus like Avast and Avira. I have used both, and both are excellent free antivirus. I personally like Avast, and have been using it for years. It's quite lightweight, despite having many features.

There are some other choices too. You can take a look at this review and make the decision yourself:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-anti-virus-software.htm

Avira and Avast do not have a firewall however. If you want a free antivirus with firewall, then you should go for Comodo Internet Security. However, the detection rate is lower than Avast and Avira. But, if you are OK with that, then go for it.

I will suggest that you install either Avast or Avira, and install firewall separately. Firewall in Windows 7 is quite sufficient, and very good, so you can use that... but if you want a separate firewall, please look at this review:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-firewall.htm

Good luck :)
Thanks man very much for your valuable Suggestions @CapriAnupam

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest avast! free antivirus. Its Network Shield is good as a normal firewall. You can also disable many of the not required features to increase you computer's performance.

During installation, Avast gives you the choice whether you want to install the different components or not. But, for that, you have to choose the option of custom installation. And these installation choices are even better with the new Avast 8, because they have really improved the installation procedure.

The choice to install the software update utility is provided during installation, and I think you missed that. As you found out, the features can also be removed later via Add/Remove. Another solution is to uninstall and reinstall Avast.

That's only if you're installing. I let Avast auto-update itself, and it installed that feature without any dialogue, began updating all my programs without my consent.

That's only if you're installing. I let Avast auto-update itself, and it installed that feature without any dialogue, began updating all my programs without my consent.

Oh OK.. yes, then it might have happened, because during in-app update, it does not provide any choices, just updates them. That's why I prefer to download the setup and update the program myself. If it's a major version release, I uninstall and then reinstall.

Back