B&W Zeppelin iPod dock: Plan to buy!

voidzero

Disciple
Oct 26, 2006
BW_Zeppelin_1.jpg

Plan to buy a B&W Zeppelin iPod dock. Wanted to know if anyone here owns one or has auditioned one.

I got in touch with Audio Vision India who are the dealers for B&W in India, they said they have it in stock for Rs 39,900/- + 12.5% VAT

I hope to audition them at the Audio Vision showroom before making the purchase.

Cheers!
Abhishek

Chaos

Skilled
Jan 29, 2005
^^Have auditioned it at a friend's place. Its nice but definitely not worth 40+VAT unless you are a style freak. To my ears, the humble Audioengine A5 sounds much better. 20k'ish would be a good price for it. In 40+VAT, you might as well get a dock, a pair of bookshelves and a stereo amp which will sound way better.

voidzero

Disciple
Oct 26, 2006
Yeah I know what you mean @ Chaos. Can you please elaborate on this since my decision is anything but final, i'll decide when I audition em'. The Audioengine A5's I plan to buy in a week or two anyway for my PC as i've only heard good things about it. If I love em' I might actually get another pair for the iPod like you've mentioned. Can you tell me what dock / stereo amp I should be looking at?

Chaos

Skilled
Jan 29, 2005
Any dock will do as the digital to analog will be done by the ipod anyway. Get any amp + bookshelf that suits your fancy. The Cambridge Audio S30 is awesome value for money. That with some CA/NAD/Marantz/Rotel amp will do the job.

FaH33m

Analog Vibes
Skilled
Apr 29, 2006
Do these docks connect to the Line Out of the Ipod to provide better sound quality ?

Ive got a line out dock for the ipod and Ive noticed that when paired with decent speakers/earphones the sound quality with the dock connected is a lot better compared to the 3.5 mm output .Only thing is since the internal amp of the Ipod is bypassed when a line out is used the volume is pretty low so a amplifier is needed.

Not sure if this will be of any help for a speaker setup but should work I guess. :)

vb86

Adept
May 20, 2008
ive heard that in the case of the zeppelin mini, the digital to analogue is done by the dock. is it true? but ive heard that the dock isn't that good.

kamal12341

Disciple
Sep 7, 2009
have got zeppelin,I will say that part of the amount goes for styling and rest goes for sound quality.If you have songs in flac or alac then this is the one .Its like art and best sound combined together,bought from audio vision for Rs 42000

voidzero

Disciple
Oct 26, 2006
Thanks for the replies guys, I guess i'll just wait till I get and hear the Audioengine A5's first then I'll go ahead and audition the Zeppelin and decide.