ASUS WL-520gU as torrent downloader

@SumitB........can you tell us what sort of speed you're getting? Also how many torrents can you run simultaneously? I'm on Oleg right now and want to know if it's worth doing all that messy work.

I have a 2Mbps unlimited line and I am getting better speeds on the router than I get on my rig. At the moment its giving me an average of 225kBps (Kilo Bytes). I have added 10 torrents, all in excess of 10GB but I have paused 9 and am downloading just one as I want to test the sustainable speeds I can get out of this.

One issue though, when I try to transfer my files from the router to my computer, I am getting speeds under 1.5MBps, which will be an issue when the downloads complete and I need to archive them.

Sumit, you wont be able to get much out of the router for local transfers.. Wired connection will max out at around 2-3 MBps, wireless (g) connection will max at much below 1 MBps.

Yes, that is what I am getting at the moment :(

Anyways, will the N13U perform better in this respect? I will need another router soon to install in my office for this purpose only, i.e. utilise the broadband connection there at nights. I will shift the downloading duties to these routers rather than keeping my rigs on 24/7.

aman.pitbull said:
For ASUS WL-520gU Max. Speed you can get via Ethernet/LAN is 8MB/s to 11.9MB/s and max Wireless speed I got was >1MB/s-2.99MB/s.

Really? You are the first one I've ever seen to claim that kind of speed.. What firmware are you running? How did you measure those speeds? The copying was done over samba over NFS? btw, i've never been able to come to even half of that even with a wl-500w which has much more horsepower than 520gu

After testing this for the last 24 hours, I can say that this thing gives pathetic speeds over wifi and wired connections. I am getting 300kBps on wifi and just over 1MB on wired while transferring files over the LAN.

The bittorrent thing is working and is probably the only face saver.

I am going to order a N16U in the next couple of days and I hope that I will be able to settle for it. As for now, this 520GU stays for the office. For the home, I'll get this N16U which apparently offers good speeds over LAN and also the 2 USB ports work on USB 2.0 at full speed.

File transfers are gonna be very slow on this. I have been running my WRTSL54GS as a DL rig since years.

The reason is

1) Slow CPU

2) Loads of processes.

I just formatted my disk to FAT32 and remove it when required to transfer movies....er Linux distros.

Its a small device, but you will save tons of electricity, by DLing on this rather than ur PC.

^^ I can vouch for the power saving. Power usage is so low that I can run the router + airtel modem + 1 3.5" USB hard disk (that too an old power hog) for more than an hour on a 2 year old 500 va ups.

Yes, the power consumption on this is really low. Ditto is the case for N16 also as per a few forums. I have now decided to take the plunge and order the N16. Waiting for the quotes from the resident dealers here. Will make the payment tomorrow if its available.

shantanugoel said:
Really? You are the first one I've ever seen to claim that kind of speed.. What firmware are you running? How did you measure those speeds? The copying was done over samba over NFS? btw, i've never been able to come to even half of that even with a wl-500w which has much more horsepower than 520gu
I'm using Win7 64bit OS both LAN and WiFi speeds tested on Acer5740 Laptop.
I've not yet flashed the router but I'll do it as soon as NaviMumbai starts getting power-cuts :bleh:.
I was also getting really bad speeds but after I changed the router settings and made it open(no password) and enabled DHCP. I tried giving MAC ID's and creating a user access list turning DHCP off but this way I couldn't get through internet(on WAN connector).

Lan connector speeds that I've mentioned are perfect but Wireless speeds vary depending on the number of files and size of files. I was transferring 15gb prison break from my PC to Lappy(work-group network sharing systems rocks on WIN7 :hap2: ). Transfer speeds kept on increasing 20KB/s in every 3seconds and stopped increasing when it reached 3MB/s. I started at 800KB/s and ended at 3MB/s.

This common for any router and if yours is not giving even this, then something is not right.

On my WRTSL54GS, I get around 8-9MB/s over LAN, BETWEEN Computers. Over Wifi, I get around 3MB/s.

Transfers between Router HDD and PC are rarely above 2MB/s. From what I have heard is that the USB transfer is very CPU intensive and thus slow.

nitant said:
This common for any router and if yours is not giving even this, then something is not right.

On my WRTSL54GS, I get around 8-9MB/s over LAN, BETWEEN Computers. Over Wifi, I get around 3MB/s.

Transfers between Router HDD and PC are rarely above 2MB/s. From what I have heard is that the USB transfer is very CPU intensive and thus slow.

we are indeed talking about tfrs between router HDD and PC only..

varkey said:
You can use cron to run the following commands as and when required.
thats what i used to as well.. you can also use -t option to selectively start torrents
Another thing is to make sure that startup script for transmission takes care of the time as well because this trick will fail if your router is not switched on at that particular time (or is restarted any time)

raja_mastana said:
Can you explain a bit more - step by step? Where to input this command? example - Suppose i wan to start at 10pm and stop at 8am

TIA

You need to use crontab -e. Search on the net for cron/crontab.

Guys, what is the status with your R&D for this router?

I have now successfully configured the router to allow me to monitor transmission from the wan port. Also, I can administer the router from the web and also loging to my Windows Home Server through the router.

Also, after I was successful in configuring iptables for transmission including the incoming port for downloads, I started using a program called Transmission Remote GUI which adds a uTorrent like interface to transmission and I can control more than I could using the browser.

Tomorrow, the RT-16N should be here. I will replicate these settings on that router and I hope to have a router capable of multiple torrents with decent hard disk to computer speeds for archiving my downloads.

One issue that I am facing is that I am not able to assign a password to the transmission webui to enable access control. If anyone has done it, please share the details.

Please detail your work here so that others can benefit from the same.

If anyone has any questions about the above, please let me know. I will try to help.

Back