Asus NT13U b1 issues

Aces170

ex-Mod
So, I have got the router. I have used the bit-torrent functions yet, but the wireless performance seems dismal.

I have connected the router to my rig (wired), and my sister's netbook connects to it wireless (the netbook supports 802.11n protocol). Anyways, the netbook connects at 54mbps or 66mbps connection only, in addition the range seems very bad. I cant get any connection in my sister's room which would be c.45 feet with obstacles.

Anything I am missing out here?

^^ Will check it out and post back...

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Cranky,

Sis netbook: Atheros AR9285 wireless adapter (OS: Windows 7 starter edition)

My rig: OS- Windows 7 ultimate edition..

I hate saying this.. but 'I told you so' (admittedly for very different reasons.. and for a slightly different product none the less.. yet :p)

^^ Stalker, yeah but didnt have any options the Belkin, and Netgear routers were way above my budget... The speed aint that big an issue yet, but the range I definitely expected better from a 802.11n routers...

Atheros 150Mbps chipset connects at 65Mbps - I have a Netgear adapter with that chipset and it will not do more than that. Ever. Not much you can do.

I do get full speed from the same router, a 300N connects at 150Mbps. 300 router is full-duplex and slowest speed is used, the uplink speed of a 300Mbps connection is 150Mbps so most full-speed N adapters will show connected speed of 150Mbps. File transfer is around 8-10MB/s if you use a wired connection on one client, or 6-7 if both clients are wireless. The 13u is one terrible router, it's just enough for me ATM but is going into the trash soon. Range is actually not that bad, but my Linksys G router gave me at least twice the range of the Asus.

Hmm, I guess then that's it. Looks like I will need to do a wire-remapping and place the router somewhere in the middle of the house. Currently it's in one corner of the room etc..

The few online reviews I read, had rated the router pretty high.. Guess I wont be checking those websites ever...

Edit: Although, one thing that's good about the router is its network management profiles. No more pausing torrents when surfing the net :)

If you have to pause torrents to surf, your provider does not provide enough open connections. In your torrent program, reduce the number of connections, it's a more permanent solution than profiling and restricting bandwidth.

As a general guide, 128kb/s connection needs about 30-50 open connections. Many providers just implement 8 or 10 so if you are connected to more peers than that it is impossible to surf. You can only check this by asking the provider. The connected peers indication in torrent programs is not sufficient as queuing is used to prioritise peers.

I actually was encountering packet loss unless I dialed the session connections down to 20. This was on a 768kb/s connection, so I raised hell and it took them about six months to replace the hardware at their end - now I can surf and run my torrents at max speed with 200 peers per torrent. Both are a little slower because they share bandwidth, but don't stop in their tracks.

Well I have MTNL as my provider, and every time the net is down, that guy comes to my house and tries refreshing Google's site like a hundred times (I am not kidding, they do not do anything apart from refreshing a webpage). So raising a "hell" there is not gonna work :p besides I get speeds way over my connection, so dont wanna raise a lot of issues...

But the profiling of the router is dynamic, hence the speeds will reduce only when someone's surfing and not otherwise (from 200 KBps to 120 odd KBps). But yeah I will try your solution, if 128 kbps requires 30-50 open connections, 1.6 Mbps would require approx. 360-600 open connections...

My friend got a N13U B1 recently, and he is using it with the Huawei E122 3G Modem and most of the time the wireless connections are not working properly. When trying to connect from windows, I get an error saying unable to connect to the network. And sometimes it connects but shows limited connectivity message.

So anyone of you having issues with wireless connectivity?

Nope. Once in about a couple of weeks the router and the adapter have a fight of some kind, one has to remove the adapter and reboot the router, then they are on talking terms again.

@Aces: You should have about 500 connections for that link speed. My provider gives me about 300 now with 768kb/s, perfectly reasonable and smooth. I never get the 'post after 30 seconds' message even when torrents are coming down full steam.

cranky said:
Nope. Once in about a couple of weeks the router and the adapter have a fight of some kind, one has to remove the adapter and reboot the router, then they are on talking terms again.
Oh ok. Then I think the unit is faulty! :( Who handles warranty/rma for Asus?

cranky said:
If you have to pause torrents to surf, your provider does not provide enough open connections. In your torrent program, reduce the number of connections, it's a more permanent solution than profiling and restricting bandwidth.

As a general guide, 128kb/s connection needs about 30-50 open connections. Many providers just implement 8 or 10 so if you are connected to more peers than that it is impossible to surf. You can only check this by asking the provider. The connected peers indication in torrent programs is not sufficient as queuing is used to prioritise peers.

I actually was encountering packet loss unless I dialed the session connections down to 20. This was on a 768kb/s connection, so I raised hell and it took them about six months to replace the hardware at their end - now I can surf and run my torrents at max speed with 200 peers per torrent. Both are a little slower because they share bandwidth, but don't stop in their tracks.
Well When i connect my internet wire directly to my PC, I can easily browse and download torrents at max speed. I don't even feel i'm downloading a torrent.

But the moment i connect a router in between i'm unable to do the same, so in my case the problem is with the router (Netgear WGR614). I have a 4Mbps connection.

I face issues above 60-70 connections if router is connected.

Varkey, have you checked if your modem is officially supported? I dont have issues with connectivity, just that range is not as I had expected, and looks like 802.11n is a joke on atheros adapters as Cranky advertised. Setup was fairly simple for a ADSL modem, all my wi-fi devices are working at the limited range (1 netbook, 2 smartphones etc). Download speeds on the main rig is unchanged...

Bottomline: If you want a larger range, get something better (this will work well at 20 meters radius with obstacles, anything higher you will see a huge drop in connectivity).

@gauviz - definitely some issue with your router. I had eliminated my router as a source of issues - in my case the ISP was the culprit (we wired the connection directly to the client). Obviously, you have other problems, maybe linked to the speed and capabilities of the router's CPU or software.

@varkey: Asus RMA is handled by Rashi, so good luck with that - you're gonna need it. I've made my feelings about them public a long time ago and it only gets stronger, my most recent experience was last week and I am never buying Asus again, or any brand they provide support for.

Anyway you can try a few things, namely flashing the firmware and securing the entire network. MAC filtering generally helps specially in crowded areas with lots of wifi clients. Encryption slows down transfer speeds but authentication is much quicker - I use WAP/TKIP and things have been generally smoother for me now. You can also try an alternate firmware, there's a thread on TE with some details and a procedure to flash back as well in case you do need to restore it to default state.

Also, Win7 is extremely painful to set up correctly with wireless connections. XP was a snap compared to this, but it took me about two weeks to get wireless up and running with fewer issues than XP (which took about ten minutes). In general, try not to leave things to Redmond and do it yourself. Assign fixed IPs, change the default IP addresses of the router and clients, keep a limited range of allowed IPs and tie everything down tightly with access passwords and filter all clients. If you get as specific as possible, Windows has less issues figuring out what you want.

i went through all the hiccups initially when i bought this router ( the non-B1) ; but with time, this has become a solid performer giving me no issues currently.

Maybe there is some kind of a burn-in required with this thing or maybe it was just the lack of my wi-fi knowledge that created some issues.

range is definitely one of its plus points & mine has done ~40-50 feet through one floor ( granted that at the other end was my laptop with the 6100 series chipset ; formidable range! )

@aces: you could try setting Channel : 1 N in the wireless settings of the Asus; seeing that your netbook supports N. read up articles in homenetworking on increasing range of your router.

Back