PC Peripherals apc ups backup time

zapout

Disciple
hi,

my "Back-UPS ES 650Y-IN" battery backup time is reduced to 8 minutes from usual 15-20 minutes.

i didn't attached any new hardware to the ups, it just dropped to 9 minutes.

and the funny part is, that it's passing the self test.

now my system hibernate immediately after a power out.

I've purchased the ups on may 19, 2010, RMAed it on 15 june 2010,

this is my second ups, but about 2-3 months ago, i accidentally scratched off the warranty seal during cleaning and now it have a void logo:mad:, but i didn't open the back panel.

what's the reason of this reduced backup time?

and if i can't get warranty of it then can i pay APC for repairing it.

can i get the extended warranty for this product?

what will be the cost of one year extended warranty?

please reply as soon as possible

thanks

Well do you mean the practical back up time that you have tested or the time indicated by the software.

UPS batteries have a VRLA or Sealed lead acid batteries.They aren't suitable for cyclic use that is frequent discharges.If you happen to discharge the battery to 20% or have completely depleted the battery even once or twice,the life of battery can be reduced to as low as 50% *.So if that was the case your back time are quite normal,also the ambient temperature plays a role in the capacity of the battery.

so for cyclic use a flooded batteries are recommended specifically tubular batteries of exide these can withstand deep discharges over 1000 cycles and come with upto 5 years of replacement warranty.

*data from battery manufactures.

the apc parachute software showing 8 minutes of backup time but the actual backup time is one minute, it hibernate my pc immediately after power out.

i will only use exide or any other battery if i can't get warranty for it.(I've contacted apc about it, waiting for their reply)

and about that battery discharge part, i never used my pc on battery, i usually shut it down immediately after a power out.

^ your battery's almost dead. time to get a new one. apc will give you only 7AH exide battery and charge cost of 9AH battery. better to go to auto/ battery shop and get the 9AH one.

what will they charge for the battery?

and does installing non apc battery is safe?

I'm not sure if i should go for non apc battery as I'm concern about warranty.

and how do i know that battery is the problem?

will apc guys do any checkup to find the problem?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

why my battery died in only 6 moths?
i thought it had a life of at least 3 year:S

^ you wont get a new battery with apc sticker on it. they will give you the same exide powersafe battery that they get outside. many have bought the same exide battery from shops and installed it and the ups are working fine.

batteries die faster in hot environment no matter how much you use or don't use. that 3 year life is at different rating and operating temperature from the manufacture side. they test it at 20-25deg or something not 30-35 deg like in reality.

ok, so how much exide 9AH battery will cost, and what about installation, and disposal of old battery?

i was planning to get athlon II x4 640, but now i have to postpone the purchase because of this stupid battery:mad:

what if the battery is not the culprit here?

is there any way to test ups, to pinpoint the problem?

finally i got reply from apc
The back up gets reduced due to non charging of the UPS. I would suggest you to remove all the connected loads on the UPS along with the communication cable. Then keep the UPS OFF and Mains ON for 16 Hrs. Then connect the load and also switch ON the UPS you would see the increase in Back UP time.

If the warranty seal is broken we would not be able to support under warranty, but your UPS is working fine you just need to charge the UPS. I suggest to charge and see the result and then decide on replacing the battery

will this method work??

^ no harm in trying. if you don't keep the ups charged fully then your battery will eventually weaken and it will loose life and backup time considerably.

keep it charged for 24 hrs if possible. if its fine you will get the normal backup time of 25-30 mins. if it shuts down immediately its got spoilt and you can buy a new one. installation is as easy as attaching 2 clips to the battery terminals. you cant go wrong once you see how the terminals are designed.

About recycling - give the old battery to the dealer from whom you buy the new battery for a 50 bucks discount on the new one.

Sandy said:
Waste of time :p If you UPS is under warranty then call them to replace it. They usually wont check for the warranty seal.
I believe thats true in some cases.When the APC technician here in b'lore came to calibrate my UPS i asked them about the warranty seal,(since mine is a 1000UXI it has a warranty sticker at hinge of the front door where it has a provision to put a pair of 17AH batteries.)he said well he didn't know they come with a warranty seal and he also said if one removes them they would never know it came with a seal.

To the OP its better to have a warranty seal or no seal,rather then a broken seal.

they didn't accept the rma, i'm buying the exide powersafe 9ah,

i searched for it online, but i was unable to find any dimension details for it, and what capacity battery i have to buy to power my 390w ups,(total noob in this)

& it'll fit in my "back ups es 650" right?

i found from other threads on TE that a new battery require recharge/discharge cycles to make it give proper backup time, is this also apply on original "APC labeled 9ah battery"?

Well yes the powersafe 9ah battery will fit.The dimmension of it are the same as a 7AH battery as per exide powersafe brochure http://www.exide4u.com/exide/images/pdf/powersafe.pdf

If you discharge a VRLA pb battery you are going make the battery older its typical life is around 300 to 500 charge/discharge cycles at around 50% discharged state depending on temperature.

sealed or vrla batteries don't have any memory effect so discharging them unnecessarily is of no use .

Actually, power given to UPS should by always on, i.e., 24/7. It should never be put off. Your computer system power should be off/on by pressing off/on button on the UPS. That is why the problem occurred of low battery charge. I agree with the reply from APC. I have same 2 UPS (Back-UPS ES 650Y-IN) about 3 years old, their batteries are as good as new batteries. Furthermore, keep the UPS in position such that batteries are in vertical standing position, it will give more 5 minutes backup, self checked, rather than its usual horizontal position when the UPS in its usual position. If you want, how it should be kept, I will snap my UPS photos and send you.

Regarding adding a new battery, take a battery with maximum warranty of any company of same specifications and put it, i.e., 12 v 7 AH or 12 V 9 AH. In case of 9 AH, battery will give little more backup and will take a little more time to charge.

my system runs 24/7, i never switch it off(except in power outs, because i don't run my pc on battery) let alone switching off ups.
and I'll try that vertical positioning, but it's weird:S how this will give 5 more minutes

One more thing, in APC powerchute personal window, make the following settings

Runtime > Keep my computer on as long as possible.

Senstivity> Low

Voltage>

If AC voltage goes above (260)

If AC voltage goes below (190)

after setting up my ups vertically, and switching off main power it didn't hibernate.
i'm gonna check how long it can hold before hibernating.

it gave backup time of 8 minutes on ~60w(screen off)
but at the end it didn't hibernate, it switched my pc off, like a normal power out.

robertjohn said:
Regarding adding a new battery, take a battery with maximum warranty of any company of same specifications and put it, i.e., 12 v 7 AH or 12 V 9 AH. In case of 9 AH, battery will give little more backup and will take a little more time to charge.
ok, but of what watt?(i really don't know anything about these things:ashamed:)

zapout said:
^can u specify the battery for my ups from powersafe ep series

is it this one?
Its most likely that one,but its better to check them in the shop .

robertjohn said:
One more thing, in APC powerchute personal window, make the following settings

Runtime > Keep my computer on as long as possible.
Senstivity> Low
Voltage>
If AC voltage goes above (260)
If AC voltage goes below (190)
While that is good for saving battery life,perhaps setting the low voltage to the lowest won't do any harm since PC smps,monitor are designed to work with 110v.But i wouldn't put the high voltage cut off anything higher then 250V,since most of device have a normal operating range only upto 240v.

Back