Another new phone topic...budget 13k

Geekhead83

Adept
Sep 7, 2005
I have a Samsung Monte and really want to move on from a resistive touchscreen..so am looking out for a new phone.

Questions:-

1. Q: Budget?

A: 13k

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.

A: No Samsungs please..

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?

A: Touchscreen

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.

A: a 5MP camera would be good but not a requirement.

10. Q: Any other requirements?

A:

Wi-fi hotspot : Need this as I generally carry my Itouch with me all the time. -- Very Imp.

Screen size: 3.5" at least (the Monte has a 3.2" and seems a bit small to me)

Display type : Any

O/s : Android (Gingerbread with an update to ICS preferred). Not sure if Mango has tethering but no bluetooth and the Zune s/w are/is a big no no.

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.

i) HTC One V - Too costly for 17k, no expandable memory/removable battery (My Samsung hangs a lot...)

ii) Neo V - Did not somehow like the design or the feel of the phone...again is around 17k

iii) Xperia Mini - Screen too small!

iv) Galaxy Ace/Plus - Not inclined towards it...dunno why. Maybe the design or it being a samsung.

v) Explorer -- Seems a good buy, but no ICS upgrade! Plus Internal memory issues deter me.

My usage: No Gaming (have the Itouch for it), occassional music (again have the Itouch for it).

Surfing/email checking/fb'ing - Yup.

Would be using the camera a bit as well.

I was looking at older phones as well like the Desire S, Incredible etc... but none of them are close to my budget. Somehow I am more inclined towards HTC, coz I'm tired of the plasticky Monte from Samsung.

Also, I would be buying the phone from Alpha.... if I do not get it there then it would be via flipkart/Letsbuy.

So you see, I am really confused after all that research and would appreciate some advice.

Marcus Fenix

Skilled
Nov 22, 2010
Kolkata
@Marcus - the Wave 3 from all the reviews seems like a premium phone. But the Bada OS... hmmm.

Is the Venue upgradeable to Gingerbread? I know it wont have ICS support for sure, but correct me if I'm wrong....coz if it does have ICS, it would be a no-brainer for me. ...EDIT: Just read this

Now I'm defn leaning more towards the Omnia W...

I suggested Wave 3 primarily due to your requirements of a good display and wifi hotspot which the Wave is pretty good at due to the inherently better battery life on Bada OS.

But Bada is definitely not upto the mark with Android in terms of apps.So I guess the Omnia W will be a better choice as a jack of all trades phone.

Same SAMOLED,same battery and similarly specced proccy as the Wave.

Only the battery life will be a bit lower than Wave but you should be able to live with that considering that it is a true smartphone and not a half hearted attempt like the Bada

Geekhead83

Adept
Sep 7, 2005
Dell Venue is great

Avoid Bada, it's devoid of apps

Yup... not too keen on the Wave 3 simply coz of the OS.

Sony Live Walkman phone is in that price range and is very good value. Xperia Ray is also available in ebay for 13k. But not sure about the Warranty.

The one on ebay is with dealer warranty only.

A visit to alpha should settle it i think...

Geekhead83

Adept
Sep 7, 2005
The Neo V would come down probably when the Xperia U gets released since Sony would not want U's sales to be affect coz of the Neo V. But not sure when it is going to launch.

Geekhead83

Adept
Sep 7, 2005
you mean the original Defy or the Defy+. Dont think the original Defy is still being sold, is it?

Will not be giving custom ROMS a thought (unless i suddenly feel the urge to play around with the phone and know that there is a way to go back to the original fw/ROM).

drsingh

Adept
Jan 25, 2010
The only issue you seem to have is with screen size.at present dell venue is the only phone in your budget with a large screen ! Get it or raise your budget by 4-5 k.
<

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk