Android Mobile Phone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dharmilstar

Adept
Jul 20, 2007
Re: Android G1 Thread

the Airtel one available here is not carrier locked to Airtel (I have personally tried it on Vodafone and Aircel). Its just that Airtel users get some special benefits like free gprs etc.

DanDroiD

Skilled
Apr 17, 2007

blr_p said:
Over to PP, whats the cheapest android capable phone you can find in the US ?

Cos the figures quoted above range from $300-$500 for a phone over here :O

I bought my G1 with a contract for T-Mobile and only paid 179.00 but you can now get them for under 100.00 with a contract... otherwise I don't know what full price is :p sorry. I think it's the same for the mytouch... pretty inexpensive with contract.

blr_p

Skilled
Apr 11, 2007

Under $100 sounds very reasonable but i guess thats just the provider chipping in more rather than the actual cost of the phone itself which looks to be $150 & upwards.

zhopudey

Skilled
May 14, 2005

I'm on the Android bandwagon with my new hero! It's totally awesome :)

Shripad

ex-Mod
Mar 17, 2005
Class M Planet
Added few links for users of HTC hero to first post. As this thread is helpful for all Android users and not just G1 users anymore, I have renamed it after consulting with PP and will try to add few things myself.

zhopudey

Skilled
May 14, 2005
Ok, just need to know if I've got this correct - Cupcake (1.5) and Donut (1.6) are the official android roms from google, right? And the next one will be Eclair (2.0). And modaco, which shripad has installed on my hero is a third party rom, which has its own version numbers. Right?

So are there other 3rd party roms like modaco?

Edit: And what is 'Rosie'?

Shripad

ex-Mod
Mar 17, 2005
Class M Planet
The Current Modaco roms are based on 1.5 firmware only (cupcake). You can check this by clicking Menu > About Phone >Firmware version. His ROMs are basically tweaked versions of official HTC releases at this point as HTC is yet to release the kernel.

Currently there arent any other good 3rd party roms.

Once HTC releases the kernel for Hero, we should start to see more and more roms.

Rosie is HTC's senseUI interface.

DanDroiD

Skilled
Apr 17, 2007
^^ There are some GREAT ROMS out there, go to XDA forums and check out enomther's ROMS or Cyanogen... there are even a couple of beta's for Motorola's new ROM and Pulse too and plenty of Hero ROMS ... I personally find the Hero ROMS a little laggy on the G1... but as soon as I can, I will probably upgrade to a better phone. Motorola's new offering is likely to raise the bar a fair bit.

There is a hacked Browser by loccy that is awesome and there is also a hacked Launcher that adds all kinds of tricks.

Shripad

ex-Mod
Mar 17, 2005
Class M Planet
PiXeLpUsHeR said:
^^ There are some GREAT ROMS out there, go to XDA forums and check out enomther's ROMS or Cyanogen... there are even a couple of beta's for Motorola's new ROM and Pulse too and plenty of Hero ROMS ... I personally find the Hero ROMS a little laggy on the G1... but as soon as I can, I will probably upgrade to a better phone. Motorola's new offering is likely to raise the bar a fair bit.

There is a hacked Browser by loccy that is awesome and there is also a hacked Launcher that adds all kinds of tricks.

^^ he was asking about roms to be used ON HTC Hero. Not ported hero roms on G1 :p

And Motorola's offering, are you talking about Droid? If thats the case, HTC's dragon is also coming with Snapdragon. That one looks like HD2 hardware running Android like I expected :p

DanDroiD

Skilled
Apr 17, 2007
^^ Ooops... wasn't paying attention :p

Yes Motorola Droid was what I was talking about.

Above link is down atm.... :'( am interested but will check again later.

pa1pa1

Disciple
Aug 11, 2008

dharmilstar said:
the Airtel one available here is not carrier locked to Airtel (I have personally tried it on Vodafone and Aircel). Its just that Airtel users get some special benefits like free gprs etc.

Does the Airtel one have market?

madhu007

Recruit
Mar 27, 2009
If someone from US who is visiting India brings a G1 or any contract phone for that matter, jailbreaks it and leaves it in India, will he be charged the monthly plan with which the phone was bought on his credit card?

Or, is there any other side effect to his credit rating? I am trying to understand how to bring a contract phone(obviously cheaper) to India. I want to buy a G1 from US.

Shripad

ex-Mod
Mar 17, 2005
Class M Planet
A news.

HTC just confirmed that they wont be releasing Android 1.6 for Hero. Instead, Hero will directly get Android 2.0 official firmware :D

pr0ing

Adept
Sep 4, 2006
Google adds free turn-by-turn navigation, car dock UI to Android 2.0 (video)
Google today unveiled Maps Navigation (beta, of course), an extremely upgraded version of its current Maps software that'll be free and, from what we understand, available by default on all Android 2.0 devices. All the usual Maps features are present, including the ability to search by name of business and have it suggest the closest matches, both semantically and geographically, and traffic data. We're also now looking at turn-by-turn navigation, female robotic voice and all, and integration with satellite and street view, the latter of which will be able to show you what lane you need to be in when exiting the highway...

zhopudey

Skilled
May 14, 2005
How do I change my contacts from "google" back to "Phone"? I used some sync software and now all my contacts are "google" type.

-D.Payne-

Adept
Apr 9, 2007
www.greatdrivingchallenge.com
zhopudey said:
How do I change my contacts from "google" back to "Phone"? I used some sync software and now all my contacts are "google" type.
ermm, I think once they're overwritten, the contacts cannot be retrieved again! Don't you have a seperate contacts folder in Google to take care of your phone contacts? I find that the most useful thing to do. Just create a seperate Folder/Group in your Google contacts for your Android phone and sync ONLY with that.

Shripad

ex-Mod
Mar 17, 2005
Class M Planet
the htc sync is hopeless at this point in time.

Why do you want to change it back to phone contacts?

If you want to sync multiple phones, you can sync with your google account using any smartphone that supports the Activesync syncing. Even your E51 can do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.