Android Mobile Phone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Android G1 Thread

even i ordered phone around same time as raymasky..still not here..

i ordered via kmd..dint know abt ebay global easy...

might get it 2moro..cant wait for it to get here

post the names of some of the best apps you have installed.

1.urbankite - awesome location based app which shows you the best places around you

2.chompsms - replaces the boring default sms manager with a iphone style sms app

3.ebuddy - one of the few multi IM apps that also has facebook chat integrated

4.Layar - awesome augmented reality based browser. although its a bit buggy right now as its still in beta.

5.Taskiller - does what the name says

6.Sportypal - gps tracker like nokia sportstracker. keep track of your runs/jogs/cycling trips

7.imeem mobile - one of the best free music streaming apps out there

8.TwitterRide - I found this twitter client to be better than twitdroid and others..

9.blabber lite - great native app for facebook

10.draw - does what is says. draw with your fingers

did you get it yet ?
polarviga said:
even i ordered phone around same time as raymasky..still not here..

i ordered via kmd..dint know abt ebay global easy...

might get it 2moro..cant wait for it to get here

^^ you can start out at the xda themes and wallpaper section.. it's posted at the beginning of this thread.

wow so many G1 users here.

I also got my G! yesterday, its unlocked.

Now few doubts before i start rooting and modding.

I have read all the steps on the xda forums and other blogs, there is one step while rooting about downloading telnet application from market.

So is it necessary to have working gprs connection before we can attempt the rooting?

right now the phone runs default R9 UK ROM I will have to downgrade it to R7 then I can root it.

so please elaborate about telnet part. TIA

^^ the telnet program is for running internally, but I think there are better ways to root now. Check out xda, I think I saw something about 1 click root somewhere there. ;)

Okay i downgraded, rooted and flashed the phone. now running cyanogen 4.1.999.

What i want to know is

The ringtone volume is quite low, i applied volume patch from xda forums still i am missing anything?

Still not able to get GPRS working on it, any one knows vodafone settings?

Is there any file manager like application for this phone where i can view files?

Is there any way we can transfer contacts from Symbian phone to this android phone or from windows contacts to this phone?

thanks for the help in advance :D, will put phone in full use from tomorrow

Just add an APN with Name: vodafone_gprs, APN: www. Thats all is the vodafone gprs settings. already posted here : http://www.techenclave.com/1212397-post27.html

File managers: Linda File Manager, ES file explorer. I am using both.

If you can sync your contacts with gmail account, it will automatically sync with the phone :p. I have seen some application in the market for exporting and importing contacts, but never tried any of them.

You can use HTC Sync to do the contact transfer.

But from now on, use google contacts to sync your contacts. Its better as all your contacts stay in your google account and can be synced on fly on multiple phones irrespective of their make and model.

Go to market or cyrket.com and search for "Astro File Manager".

This is the one I use and prefer. Works like a charm.

yup. I use astro and Advanced task manager free. Both are must ave apps. And for sms ..u gotta have Handcent

@gmano : i tried that settings but did not suceed. will try again now.

@shripad thanks for the info will have to explore the google contacts deeply :D

Anything can i do about volume part? trying few things.

|Anish| said:
3. And lastly, which is the cheapest Android phone in the market?

Anyone local got answer(s) for this yet ?

Looks like there's just one or two atm and they are Rs.20k+

@blr_p: there are only two android powered phones in indian market per se
1. HTC Magic which is supplied only by Airtel costing around 25k
2. HTC Hero I think this is also supplied by Airtel but most probably its available in open market too the costing is around 30k.

the most economical option for you is HTC DREAM aks T-Mobile G1 via foreign markets, like I sourced.

KMD can be your source will cost you around 15-17k depending upon the deal you get :D.

medpal said:
Okay i downgraded, rooted and flashed the phone. now running cyanogen 4.1.999.

What i want to know is

The ringtone volume is quite low, i applied volume patch from xda forums still i am missing anything?

Still not able to get GPRS working on it, any one knows vodafone settings?

Is there any file manager like application for this phone where i can view files?

Is there any way we can transfer contacts from Symbian phone to this android phone or from windows contacts to this phone?

thanks for the help in advance :D, will put phone in full use from tomorrow

Try SUFBS as a file manager manager, it is easily the best as it will also let you fully interact with system files and let you mount system partitions as writable. It's not free, but worth the small amount u pay for it.

I am running same ROM with Meltus sound hack and the sound seems to be pretty good, if you are having problems you could always download the hack he has available on the Market it is also pretty cheap and will do it for you if you don't want to mess with it via adb.

Easiest way to deal with contacts is to edit (and import) all your contacts on gmail over on the pc and then sync them with phone. You can import many formats including your windows outlook etc.... from the contact page.

There are two versions of Hero in market at the moment.

Most shops have the one which is Airtel version version, and available at 32k in Mumbai ( its more expensive here :mad: ).

This unit has airtel specific firmware ( no major changes, just airtel live integration and pre programmed APNs. ).

This version couldnt be rooted easily till today ( Gold Card method came out today : HOWTO: Create a GoldCard - Bypassing the RUU/SPL CID check to Root/Downgrade - xda-developers ). The only solution was to use serial debug cable which is PITA but doable if you knew someone in hardware repair shops which do unlocking and other stuff.

This unit is basically imported by airtel from HTC and flashed with custom firmware. The phone has EU marking all over on the inner side ( so its likely this lot was originally intended for Europe but rerouted here )

Then there are those on ebay India.

Two of my friends had ordered this for 29k and 33k from different sellers, both were unbranded and not airtel locked and didnt have airtel written on box. But cheaper one turned out to be UK import. And the 33k one was proper Indian version.

SO you are warned before purchasing it from Ebay. The cheaper ones are carrying Dealer warranty.

Over to PP, whats the cheapest android capable phone you can find in the US ?

Cos the figures quoted above range from $300-$500 for a phone over here :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back