CPU/Mobo AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE unlocking guide

yes

rest your bios.

on your motherboard, remove the cmos battery and also short the bios jumper.

Then enter bios and reload optimum defaults and save and reboot.

renofilo said:
Hello everyone. Im new here, so forgive me if i ask something someone has asked before, but my doubt is a bit weird, maybe: I have a Gigabyte M720-US3 with 2 GB ddr2 800, and the processor is a amd Phenom II X3 720BE. Well at first i couldnt unlick the 4th core, i had to upgrade my mb bios to f6 (latest), after that i went to the 'MB Inteligent Tweaker' menu of the bios, then 'Advanced Clock Calibration' and finally under 'NVIDIA Core Calibration' I selected the option 'All Cores', and unlocked the 4th one. Well the system at boot started to identify my cpu as a phenom II X4 20. Well windows wouldnt boot so i added a bit more Voltage to CPU (only +0.025v), making it at 1.350V. Then Windows 7 x64 booted normally, identified and installed the 'new' cpu, so to speak... now the problem: The system is running well, but when i try to test the cpu with prime95 64bit and occt, both programs freeze my pc after 2 or 3 minutes. Then i tried to go to Bios again (hard reset windows), loaded bios defaults (cpu voltage went to auto again and 'NVIDIA core calibrations' went to 'disable' again also), but the system keeps identifying as a Phenom II X4 20, CPU-Z identifies it also as a X4, windows also, boots and fuctions normally, but prime 95 and occt keeps freezing on tests... isnt there a way to make my system identify my cpu as a x3 720 again? Thanks

Marcos

hi, newbie here...just got my phenom II x3 720 paired it with emx amd785g-fxn...just wanna ask if anyone tried using emx mobo in overclocking or unlocking the 4th core of the pII x3 720?

also, my procie's batch code is: 0906

and also, when i open cpu-z, it reads am2+ as the socket type instead of the AM3...what do you think is the reason behind that? tia....

Using 720 black edition stepping BPBW with Gigabyte 790x UD4P since June 2009 unlocked and overclocked without issue. Stock voltage upto 3.4 ghz but generally run at 3 ghz. Haven't seen my stepping listed by anyone thusfar.

hi, i'm back...i tried unlocking my 720be (batch code i stated on my previous post) by enabling the acc option of my mobo...sad to say, it doesn't boot to post screen, so i ended up clearing the cmos...i'm stucked with overclocking it to 3.0 ghz using the stock hsf..planning on getting an aftermarket hsf by end of this week...

yay done it
894888.png
CPU-Z Validator 3.1

New to the Forum!!

I was able to unlock 4th core and overclock to 3.2 GHz with 16 CPU multiplier only. I'm a noob at this overclocking stuff, bit I will continue to investigate/study with the hope of getting to 3.6 GHz. This is a new build (Xmas present) for my 16 year-old son.

Thanks guys for being here. Happy New Year.

Eddie

MA-790XT-UD4P, AMD X3 720, G.Skill DDR3-1600, Coolermaster V8

You need ACC or SB710 at least for unlocking 4th core in 720 be and 550 be

Would this work with the Asrock M3A790GMH/128M, it does have the Advanced Clock Calibration feature.

You MOBO sure does support ACC and will work only for certain 720 BE CPU's. Not all 720 BE CPU unlock the 4th core. You can try your luck in that.

hash said:
You need ACC or SB710 at least for unlocking 4th core in 720 be and 550 be
You MOBO sure does support ACC and will work only for certain 720 BE CPU's. Not all 720 BE CPU unlock the 4th core. You can try your luck in that.
Ok but AMD didnt force asrock to disable it?

I know this is an old thread but just got an amd phenom ii x3 720 haven't looked at batch number yet but will edit when i get a new aftermarket heatsink.

Stable Prime95 6hrs, will try again after new heatsink and will run it longer.

Phenom ii x3 720 2.8Ghz stock HSF Core voltage 1.345

MOBO GIGABYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Bios v.F3

A-Data DDR3 1600 4Gb

How'd he get it to run so cool on a stock HSF?

Also tried upping the multiplier to get 3.0Ghz but always crashed. Anyone else with the same setup give me some tips?

Can anyone say what's the difference between these lines in CPU-Z in specification:

Phenom II X4 20 and
Phenom II X4 B50

Thanks.

Re: AMD unlocking guide

New build completed 2 days ago. MA770T-UD3P with Phenom II X3 720 BE unlocked easy speezy after upgrading to latest F5 Bios. Ran Prime95 stable 14 hours with stock HS and Fan, no overclock as of yet. Max CPU Temps of 60C under load with Prime and around 35C idle. Thinking I need a better cooling solution if I'm going to OC but I do have the 4th core np.

Re: AMD unlocking guide

Jakeman02 said:
New build completed 2 days ago. MA770T-UD3P with Phenom II X3 720 BE unlocked easy speezy after upgrading to latest F5 Bios. Ran Prime95 stable 14 hours with stock HS and Fan, no overclock as of yet. Max CPU Temps of 60C under load with Prime and around 35C idle. Thinking I need a better cooling solution if I'm going to OC but I do have the 4th core np.

ok nice.

post your complete OC profile. and the processor batch no.

Hey all,

I was thinking of picking up a 720BE but I want to make sure it will unlock (or be as sure as one can be) before I purchase.

Info on potential purchase:

Processor listed as a HEKA with stepping:
CACZC AC 0941DPGW

MoBo:
GIGABYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H

What would the unlocking probablity be?
Will this OC nicely?
Is there a better MoBo that you can recommend?
Are the DENEB's still available (and neccessary)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

^^ Unlocking capability lies within certain Batches of CPU's. Other batches have not been confirmed to work properly or very low probability of unlocking 4th core.

You have a very less chance of unlocking it

oipluckie said:
I know this is an old thread but just got an amd phenom ii x3 720 haven't looked at batch number yet but will edit when i get a new aftermarket heatsink.
Stable Prime95 6hrs, will try again after new heatsink and will run it longer.

Phenom ii x3 720 2.8Ghz stock HSF Core voltage 1.345
MOBO GIGABYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H Bios v.F3
A-Data DDR3 1600 4Gb

How'd he get it to run so cool on a stock HSF?

Also tried upping the multiplier to get 3.0Ghz but always crashed. Anyone else with the same setup give me some tips?

"UPDATE"
batch number is 0929dpcw changed each core to 0% in ACC "unlocked 4th core" ran for 8 hrs on stock cooler no crash, still haven't gotten an aftermarket heatsink yet.

Back