8 Mbps From Airtel

U dont need 8 Mbps Pipe to surf sites.. 256 Kbps will be more then enough

Airtel will not come out from fooling people with crap plans which Non Tech people dont understand. Even being Govt Co ( BSNL ) hats off to them for giving 2 Mbps plans as low as 500

For airtel

8 Mbps line with just 8 GB limit for 2000 Rs.. Ridiculous ..People are clocking 60 GB with 2 MBps plans... What abt 8 GB limit.. Crap plan..

sites like GameSpot are over 1.5MB by default and take 1min or more to fully load. sites that are flash and/or AJAX/Video heavy recommend 3-4Mbit+ connections. sorry, but you are wrong.

I have no problems with caps. I pay 250 bucks for 1 GB 2 MBps connection. I have never exceeded the 1 GB limit EVER ( but i use at least 950 - 990 MB). True I cant download movies and such. But I do download a couple of songs every month and that is all I need.

Even with 2mbps.. I am running out on good things to download now..

Well so mostly i download High Qual movies, etc... but my basic list of things to download is over...

Besides imagine what kinda HDD ull need for 8mbps connection i.e 1MB/s i.e at max u download 84GB/Day...okie u download only at nights...40 GB/night

Also Bluray Discs/Writers arent common yet..so making backups will be heck of a job...
Just because you don't need an 8 mbps or greater (unlimited i mean) connection,it doesn't mean others don't need it either.if you are happy with 2 mbps speeds good for you.But that doesn't mean 2 mbps is gud enough for everybody else.

Ever heard about sling box?? Higher internet speeds would enable us to watch tv anywhere.I don't have to get bored in office anymore.Infact i could even stream HD movies and tv series directly from america over the net. Ofcourse to stream HD content over the net , you need speeds much much higher than 8 mbps.

Even sites like youtube need more than 2mbps.Plus if you wanna check out out HD trailers and stuff, the faster the net the better.i would rather prefer to watch HD movie trailers online rather than download them and watch.Plus faster download speeds means you don't actually have to wait a 4-5 days for the download to end.It would be great if you can download a movie in 1 hour and watch it the next.

Now coming to this plan, it's pure crap!!Why the hell would you have a 8mbps plan with an 8 gb download limit?? You needs such high speeds to download more stuff and if you can't do it , it's simply a waste of time. It's like purchasing a Ferrari only to drive on muddy bihari roads!!
i also don't like the direction in which things are starting to move as far as broadband in india is concerned.ISPs are increasing the speeds but at the same time preventing us from utilising those speeds by putting download limits.

With 8Mbps, everyone is touting how they would download X in X amount of time. did anyone here stopped to think about the sources? yes, you have 8Mbps download stream but the files don't magically download. server/source would require 8Mbps+ Ups and honestly, unless you're going to limit your downloading to Linux Distros and Legal things (which is, let's face it, unlikely.) there are hardly any illegal sources that would allow you to download at 1MBps without first making you pay (Usetnet, Rapidshare Premium) with BitTorrent, even aXXo's DVDRips which have the most seeds (BTW, go to hell aXXo!) you will get capped at 5-6Mbps at max. because, lest we forget, DVDRips are downloaded by people worldwide, people that have much faster connections than us and they don't like slow speeds either! ofcourse It's another thing if one decides to download multiple file from multiple sources thus downloading at 1MBps. but single sources that give you 1MBps download speeds are dime-a-dozen. anyway, where is this thread going anyway? It's not like those bastards we call ISPs would actually listen to one of us and give us the speeds/bandwidth we want :(

evox said:
With 8Mbps, everyone is touting how they would download X in X amount of time. did anyone here stopped to think about the sources? yes, you have 8Mbps download stream but the files don't magically download. server/source would require 8Mbps+ Ups and honestly, unless you're going to limit your downloading to Linux Distros and Legal things (which is, let's face it, unlikely.) there are hardly any illegal sources that would allow you to download at 1MBps without first making you pay (Usetnet, Rapidshare Premium) with BitTorrent, even aXXo's DVDRips which have the most seeds (BTW, go to hell aXXo!) you will get capped at 5-6Mbps at max. because, lest we forget, DVDRips are downloaded by people worldwide, people that have much faster connections than us and they don't like slow speeds either! ofcourse It's another thing if one decides to download multiple file from multiple sources thus downloading at 1MBps. but single sources that give you 1MBps download speeds are dime-a-dozen. anyway, where is this thread going anyway? It's not like those bastards we call ISPs would actually listen to one of us and give us the speeds/bandwidth we want :(

you said it yourself. MULTIPLE files. i can probably download an entire season at the same time it would take me to download a single file (because of source restrictions).

ashr said:
you said it yourself. MULTIPLE files. i can probably download an entire season at the same time it would take me to download a single file (because of source restrictions).

Depends on the show. HDTV/DVDrips never have enough seeds to give more than 250kBps. XviD asd/rmvb torrents are downloaded by the people who have low bandwidth, so they get capped at 90-100kBps. but yeah, provided one is willing to download 10-12 shows at same time, you can utilize full 1MB/s.

talking about sources and available speeds...

my bro in UK is using a 24mbps connection...and if you are using a private tracker then there is plenty of speed to go around.

also there is loads of tv channels available online now....even hdtv ones which req 2mbps as min.

So the more bandwidth more the possibilities

Wraith said:
talking about sources and available speeds...

my bro in UK is using a 24mbps connection...and if you are using a private tracker then there is plenty of speed to go around.

also there is loads of tv channels available online now....even hdtv ones which req 2mbps as min.

So the more bandwidth more the possibilities

Agree with you man... My friend's into designing websites and stuff and he has rented a VPS (in layman terms -a server in U.S :) ) for his websites. He downloaded a 700 mb rip in like 2-3 minutes on that server. That got me thinking.

Firstly, as you all agree,it eliminates the need to wait. I'm not just speaking about heavy files that you are downloading, but even basic surfing, watching online vids etc...Having high speeds is not only about downloading stuff, it's more about basic freedom.. not necessary that I'm going to download 100 gb everyday.:p

Secondly, I know lot of people here are going to disagree with me, but being realistic (and optimistic:eek:hyeah: ), I feel I will be content the day 2 Mbps becomes standard i.e it is available at today's 256 Kbps rates.. i.e @ around 1000 bucks.

PS:And please don't think that I'm not much into downloading so am taking this stand.. I'm as much guilty as you buggers are... :bleh:

@Praks - Dude, when Virgin Broadband doesn't agree with you, why should we all do??:rofl: :rofl: Virgin Broadband

There is plenty of speed to go around, more than you can consume using an 8mbps connection... keep in mind India is about 10 years behind the rest of the world, and don't tell me people are downloading from Indian sites. With a high speed connection I can stream audio/video while downloading multiple files. And it's only a matter of time before we start watching TV over the internet. Plus, a faster connection saves you time (from waiting), but nobody realizes that because in India time is not considered money.

RiO said:
There is plenty of speed to go around, more than you can consume using an 8mbps connection... keep in mind India is about 10 years behind the rest of the world, and don't tell me people are downloading from Indian sites. With a high speed connection I can stream audio/video while downloading multiple files. And it's only a matter of time before we start watching TV over the internet. Plus, a faster connection saves you time (from waiting), but nobody realizes that because in India time is not considered money.

Hit the nail bang on the spot man...

And staying on the topic, IMO 8 mbps is an overkill.. Give me my 2mbps uncapped and me goin to be very verrrryyyy HAPPY:devil2:

^^Dude by the time you get 2mbps uncapped (2010) it would have no meaning. As blue-ray media etc would have mainstream. You would be busy downloading divx and world would be busy watching hd-dvds, listening to dts hd etc.

He downloaded a 700 mb rip in like 2-3 minutes on that server. That got me thinking.

^thats coz server sits in a datacenter, which usually has dedicated data channel for each server and multiple ISPs serving the connection to that place.

techcheat said:
^^Dude by the time you get 2mbps uncapped (2010) it would have no meaning. As blue-ray media etc would have mainstream. You would be busy downloading divx and world would be busy watching hd-dvds, listening to dts hd etc.

Who gave you the idea that I was implying 2010?? I'm hoping it's more like next year... :bleh:

Arya said:
^thats coz server sits in a datacenter, which usually has dedicated data channel for each server and multiple ISPs serving the connection to that place.

Yeah man, I know that.. What I trying to do was give an example.. I'd only heard of speeds, saw it for the first time...:)

The thing is that you don't really understand the possibilities unless you see it with your own eyes..:D

The even the Dataone site mentions speeds of 256kbps to 8mbps. Dunno how long they will take but once those speeds come into existance I too hope that there will be a increase in speeds for the UL plans.

My Cousin Is Using Airtel Home 699 Plan That Gives Speed Upto 128kbps But Somehow He Has Changed The Router Settings And Is Now Getting Speed Upto 700kbps And The Thing Is He Is Not Telling Me Could Anybody Help

Back