70-80k system suggestions for 3D/ Image editing

erratic

Recruit
Hello TE,

I am back for your advice on a new system I would like to put together!

The last computer that you guys helped me with here works really well so i would surely want your advice for the 2nd :)

So here we go...

Questions

1. Q: What is your budget?

1. 70 - 80k

4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

The System (without Monitor)

CPU :

Intel core i7-2600k processor, 3.4 Ghz

CPU Cooler:

Noctua NH-U12P SE2

Motherboard:

Asus P8H67-M EVO REV 3.0-New H67 B3 (we couldn't find one in Gigabyte...)

We also heard that ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 is good but we could only find the one we linked at prime.

MSI P67A-GD55 (B3 Revision) (we saw this recommended in techenclave for the new sandybridge processor, but we cant find it in prime)

GPU:

MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II,

Do feel free to recommend alternatives

RAM:

Gskill F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL (4Gx4) Ripjaws

I hope this is compatible...

Harddrive:

Currently there seems to be a lot happening in this SSD area and we are confused. We read about Intel 510 and OCZ Vertex 3 are supposed to be good choices though availability is an issue as usual.

We were thinking of 2-3 alternatives.

1) Two SSD's.. one around 120/160 GB for OS, and a smaller 40GB or so for running current working projects. These can be backed up on a normal harddisk for storage, a WD black, Seagate or whatever is sensible.

2) One SSD and two normal HD. the normal HD shall be for OS, a small SSD for workign projects and another bigger normal HD for storage. Unless you think havign a SSD as OS is better performance while working on PS/Maya.

3) stick to the combination of the earlier system... WD Black 1 TB as OS, and WD Green or Seagate 7200.12 1TB as storage. or two WD blacks (1 TB each). it's currently working fine and we don't have major issues, but do wish it would render faster at times.

DVD:

LG GH22NS50

PSU:

Corsair HX750W Profe.Power Supply

Case:

Nzxt TEMPEST EVO Crafted Series

6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

1. Mumbai

2. Open to online purchase

7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

1. No

8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

Im a content creator for mmorpgs thats why i need to mention "gaming" even though its more a trial if the stuff is working out im creating. ^^

35% 3D Modeling/ Rendering

35% Image Editing/ Graphic Design

20% Gaming (MMORPG)

10% Internet/ Office

- Software -

Maya 2011, 3ds Max 2011 and Mudbox 2011

CS5: Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign

10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

MMORPGs

11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage?

We already have a : Dell UltraSharp U2311H, 23", 1920x1080, VGA, DVI, DisplayPort

12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?

1. Not necessarily (maybe after 1 year)

13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

1. Windows 7 64 bit

If you have additional questions please don't hesitate to ask

Thank you!

1. Q: What is your budget?

1. 70 - 80 Lakhh

70-80 Lakh ? Is this a typo or are you looking for a lot of computers for a studio or something ?

Intel core i7-2600k processor, 3.4 Ghz v/s AMD Phenom II X6 1090T will be a BIG debate (as usual), when do you Intend to buy the setup ? Since the bulldozers would be out in 2 months or so.

What resolution would you be gaming at ?

Hi l33t thats a typo for now ;) my personal preference are intel processors. i heard and read about the bulldozers but unfortunately i need the system as soon as possible. gamingresolution is 1920x1080.

Are AM3+ ready motherboards available in India yet? Because, it seems like a no-brainer to get a 1090T and upgrade to Bulldozer FX8000. The leaked benches show it being a monster at "Rendering" - twice as fast as Core i7 950! The 1090T lags well behind the i7 2600 in pretty much every situation (if your primary purpose was gaming - 2600K is unbeatable) except one - heavily multi-threaded apps. Luckily, the likes of Maya and 3ds Max are heavily multithreaded. Plus, the 1090T platform will be a lot cheaper than the SNB platform. So it seems like the best option - get a 1090T, upgrade to FX8000.

In case AM3+ socket 800 series motherboards aren't available yet, MSI and Asus have already announced a list of older AM3 motherboards which can be made compatible with Bulldozer with a BIOS upgrade. Maybe one of those?

@OP
Are you really to overclock. I am asking this coz you would be able get i7 2600k like performance from an i5 2500k if you would over i5 2500k to 4.0 to 4.2Ghz. And btw overcloking a k series processor is very easy.

Sub said:
Are AM3+ ready motherboards available in India yet? Because, it seems like a no-brainer to get a 1090T and upgrade to Bulldozer FX8000. The leaked benches show it being a monster at "Rendering" - twice as fast as Core i7 950! The 1090T lags well behind the i7 2600 in pretty much every situation (if your primary purpose was gaming - 2600K is unbeatable) except one - heavily multi-threaded apps. Luckily, the likes of Maya and 3ds Max are heavily multithreaded. Plus, the 1090T platform will be a lot cheaper than the SNB platform. So it seems like the best option - get a 1090T, upgrade to FX8000.

In case AM3+ socket 800 series motherboards aren't available yet, MSI and Asus have already announced a list of older AM3 motherboards which can be made compatible with Bulldozer with a BIOS upgrade. Maybe one of those?
+1 To that, I was about to post this before I got shooed by my dad to aieee myself :|

Well here's the catch though,

-We still dont know how well the AM3+ would adjust to the bulldozers, considering the AMD chip is going to have a pretty heavily revamped architecture, which might just make the boards pretty dull, also we dont know how well the BIOS would go with the chip, none of the board manufactures have pointed those out. I'm not trying to be an intel fanboi here, but I'm trying to point out things which might just make the rig an epic fail (no offense) buying an AM3+ board would be a risk fruits of which might be awesome/sad

-If you want to be on the safer side, going the SB way is great, the components you have chosen are pretty good,

- SSD : OCZ Vertex 2 60GB ~ 7.5k can be crammed into the budget + a 1TB WD FAEX / 2TB Barracuda/WD Blue would be the right option since 60GB of SSD Space would be enough to run the OS and the Vital Softwares.

-Noctua NH-U12P- Sandy Bridges run pretty cool, if you are going to OC, only then would that be advisable.

-A Corsair HX750 would be a good option , but scaling that down to a 650Watter would be sensible.

-There is another alternative though, If you can convince yourself to an Intel Based Hexacore, you can build a rig based on that, here's how

CPU : Intel Core i7 980~50k

Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth X58 ~10k

GPU : ZOTAC GTX 460~ 11k

PSU : Corsair VX550W ~4.5k

RAM : 4*2GB Corsair TR3X6G1333C9~4.5k

Cabinet: NXZT Gamma~2.5k

HDD : WD Caviar Black FAEX 1TB ~4.5k

ODD: LG GH22NS50~0.8k

-That'd exceed the budget by about 6-7k though, but yeah, talk about performance difference, that'd be EPIC ~!

:cool2:

980x is no doubt the fastest processor but bad vfm proccy... He should better off with i7 2600k as it gives better performance per dollar than 980x

l33t said:
+1 To that, I was about to post this before I got shooed by my dad to aieee myself :|

Well here's the catch though,

-We still dont know how well the AM3+ would adjust to the bulldozers, considering the AMD chip is going to have a pretty heavily revamped architecture, which might just make the boards pretty dull, also we dont know how well the BIOS would go with the chip, none of the board manufactures have pointed those out. I'm not trying to be an intel fanboi here, but I'm trying to point out things which might just make the rig an epic fail (no offense) buying an AM3+ board would be a risk fruits of which might be awesome/sad

-If you want to be on the safer side, going the SB way is great, the components you have chosen are pretty good,

- SSD : OCZ Vertex 2 60GB ~ 7.5k can be crammed into the budget + a 1TB WD FAEX / 2TB Barracuda/WD Blue would be the right option since 60GB of SSD Space would be enough to run the OS and the Vital Softwares.

-Noctua NH-U12P- Sandy Bridges run pretty cool, if you are going to OC, only then would that be advisable.

-A Corsair HX750 would be a good option , but scaling that down to a 650Watter would be sensible.

-There is another alternative though, If you can convince yourself to an Intel Based Hexacore, you can build a rig based on that, here's how

CPU : Intel Core i7 980~50k
Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth X58 ~10k
GPU : ZOTAC GTX 460~ 11k
PSU : Corsair VX550W ~4.5k
RAM : 4*2GB Corsair TR3X6G1333C9~4.5k
Cabinet: NXZT Gamma~2.5k
HDD : WD Caviar Black FAEX 1TB ~4.5k
ODD: LG GH22NS50~0.8k

-That'd exceed the budget by about 6-7k though, but yeah, talk about performance difference, that'd be EPIC ~!

Good point regarding AM3+ on 800 series motherboards. Yes, it's true we don't know how much (if any) restrictions there will be. For 3D media creation work, the 6 cores are definitely worth it. However, 980X is a bit of a waste. Best to go for i7 970. It costs Rs. 30k here. Rs. 20k is a lot of money saved for 0.13 GHz loss. Also, best to go for the HD 6870 - in a different performance class to 460 AND cheaper. The only plus point for 460 would be the CUDA acceleration in Photoshop.

CPU Intel Core i7 2600k 16200
Motherboard Asus P8P67 Pro (B3 Revision) 12000
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz CL9 2x4Gb 5500
GPU MSI GTX 560 Twin Frozr II 14800
HDD1 OCZ Vertex II 120GB 11800
HDD2 Seagate 7200.12 1TB 2700
Cabinet CM 690 4300
PSU Corsair TX650 5400
Keyboard Logitech MMKB 400
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2050
Mousepad Razer Goliathus Speed Edition Omega 500
CPU Cooler CM Hyper 212+ 1950
Speakers Altec Lansing VS2621 1500
ODD Samsung/ LG/ Sony 850
Total 79950

2nd rig suggestion

CPU Intel Core i5 2500k 11250
Motherboard Asus P8P67 Pro (B3 Revision) 12000
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz CL9 2x4Gb 5500
GPU MSI GTX 560 Twin Frozr II 14800
HDD1 OCZ Vertex II 120GB 11800
HDD2 Seagate 7200.12 1TB 2700
Cabinet CM 690 4300
PSU Corsair HX650 (Fully Modular) 6500
Keyboard Razer Arctosa 2000
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2050
Mousepad Razer Goliathus Speed Edition Omega 500
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12P SE2 3750
Speakers Altec Lansing VS2621 1500
ODD Samsung/ LG/ Sony 850
Total 79500

The first rig that i've suggested has more processing power and the 2nd rig is mora balanced rig

Note: in cinebench R11.5 benchmark i7 2600k scores 16.8 points where as i5 2500k scores 15.4 points. You can clearly see that which proccy provides more Value For Money... i7 2600k costs some 50% more than i5 2500k which scores just mere 1.4 points more in cinebench rendering test.

@OP

SSD: OCZ Vortex 120GB - 14K around (for primary OS)

HDD: 1TB WD Black - for working rpojects

HDD2: 1TB Seagate

rest of the config you have written in the main post is fine!

Also there is no point of going for Aftermarket HSF is you won't be OCing. it is worth OCing a 2600K, you'll get a major performance boost. also i suggest going for CM V6GT as a Aftermarket HSF if you plan to OC.

as for the mobo go for a P67 chipset!!!

Hades. said:
980x is no doubt the fastest processor but bad vfm proccy... He should better off with i7 2600k as it gives better performance per dollar than 980x

Sub said:
Good point regarding AM3+ on 800 series motherboards. Yes, it's true we don't know how much (if any) restrictions there will be. For 3D media creation work, the 6 cores are definitely worth it. However, 980X is a bit of a waste. Best to go for i7 970. It costs Rs. 30k here. Rs. 20k is a lot of money saved for 0.13 GHz loss. Also, best to go for the HD 6870 - in a different performance class to 460 AND cheaper. The only plus point for 460 would be the CUDA acceleration in Photoshop.
Between the 970 and a 980x the price difference is 20 bloody thousand ? :O I need to check up on 1366 chip prices from time to time, mea culpa. Sounds atrocious, they are already badly priced now they've made it almost a nightmare for a person to convince himself into buying a 6 core intel.

But yeah, looking at it from a different standpoint - afaik the 970 has a locked multiplier, so its like the debate of a k series proccy or a non k series proccy.

I did not suggest an ATi card since , in the previous rig suggestion that the OP has, she did mention about nvidia doing a better job encoding than an ATi card. Thats it. I guess I did see that, or did my eyes deceive me again ?

mavihs said:
@OP

SSD: OCZ Vortex 120GB - 14K around (for primary OS)

HDD: 1TB WD Black - for working rpojects

HDD2: 1TB Seagate

rest of the config you have written in the main post is fine!

Also there is no point of going for Aftermarket HSF is you won't be OCing. it is worth OCing a 2600K, you'll get a major performance boost. also i suggest going for CM V6GT as a Aftermarket HSF if you plan to OC.

as for the mobo go for a P67 chipset!!!

-Coolermaster v6 ? :S I'm pretty sure there are better HSFs around in the market, which do a better job for a lesser price so I'd go with a TR or a Nocuta (Just my opinion though) I'm against the idea of buying an aftermarket HSF in the first place.

-120gB HDD + 1 + 1 TB ? To me a 2*60gB SSD + 1*2TB Barracuda seems more sensible. Since the price of a 120GB HDD is just about double the price of a 60GB, 2 apples seem better than one bigger apple to me.

l33t said:
But yeah, looking at it from a different standpoint - afaik the 970 has a locked multiplier, so its like the debate of a k series proccy or a non k series proccy.
I don't think its that simple... For SNB if you have i7 2600 you are stuck at 3.4 GHz. You need 2600K or hardly any overclocking is possible. However, if you have 970 you can still boost the FSB the old fashioned way. I have seen reviews of 970 overclock to 4.3 GHz or so. Of course with i7 980X the potential will be a bit higher and the unlocked multiplier will make it easier. But i7 970 is overclockable! Besides, the OP is not really interested in OC right now. It seems like the 970 is definitely the best deal. I simply cannot justify the 20k premium. The other thing to consider is there's no upgrade path for LGA1366 while Ivy Bridge will fit into LGA1155. Also, these 3D CGI softwares use gobs of RAM when rendering - 16GB should be a minimum.

Sub said:
I don't think its that simple... For SNB if you have i7 2600 you are stuck at 3.4 GHz. You need 2600K or hardly any overclocking is possible. However, if you have 970 you can still boost the FSB the old fashioned way. I have seen reviews of 970 overclock to 4.3 GHz or so. Of course with i7 980X the potential will be a bit higher and the unlocked multiplier will make it easier. But i7 970 is overclockable! Besides, the OP is not really interested in OC right now. It seems like the 970 is definitely the best deal. I simply cannot justify the 20k premium. The other thing to consider is there's no upgrade path for LGA1366 while Ivy Bridge will fit into LGA1155. Also, these 3D CGI softwares use gobs of RAM when rendering - 16GB should be a minimum.
I'm convinced :p Let's see what the OP's take is, We did have a heated AMD vs Intel on the previous thread of the OP's though.

@l33t
1 bigger apple would be better for Op :p

after formatting and 64bit win7 installation 40gb would easily get shaved off... So just imagine if op buys a 60gb ssd and installs win7 64bit after formatting the ssd he would be only left with 20gb headroom which is too less imo for todays world usage... And If op installs a good fps game then 10gb would easily get shaved off... After installing a game 10gb space would be left for other applications. What you are suggesting is not bad but it would be good if op would do that with 2*120gb ssds... Just my 2 cents

Hades. said:
@l33t

1 bigger apple would be better for Op :p

after formatting and 64bit win7 installation 40gb would easily get shaved off... So just imagine if op buys a 60gb ssd and installs win7 64bit after formatting the ssd he would be only left with 20gb headroom which is too less imo for todays world usage... And If op installs a good fps game then 10gb would easily get shaved off... After installing a game 10gb space would be left for other applications. What you are suggesting is not bad but it would be good if op would do that with 2*120gb ssds... Just my 2 cents

Hmm makes a lot of sense , I would hate 20GB @ 125/GB (yeah that calculation was utter indian-ness, no offense) go to a waste, if I'm looking at installing only s/w apps into it.

First of all thanks a lot guys for taking the time to help me :) i appreciate it!

Regarding the assumptions about the bulldozer chipset / motherboard compatibility i would rather refrain from that one and go for an Intel 2600k right away (the "k" for later overclocking, once i think its insufficient and/or have time to get into OCing^^). I cant take on that risk. I reconsidered the CPU cooler and wont go for it as of now which will save on my given budget i can reinvest into something more sensible until i would OC.

Im rather surprised about the several recommendations regarding "Asus" since i heard from several sources its a risk in terms of service. I would like to go for MSI or Gigabyte unfortunately i couldnt find a proper one at the online shop i used to buy from (prime).

Thanks l33t for pointing out that im in need for a Nvidia GPU because one of my progs i would use has issues with ATI cards.

@Hades
Thanks for your concrete suggestions and the easy-on-the-eye tables :)
I already have peripherals like keyboard / mouse which I am used to and would save me some bucks I could invest in RAM ;)
The current system after reading all your suggestions:

CPU :
Intel core i7-2600k processor, 3.4 Ghz

"k" to keep the opportunity open for OCing

CPU Cooler:
none yet to save on money (once im getting into OCing i will get one)

Motherboard:
The motherboard question is a tough one since i heard ASUS has big issues in India rather customers have. Thats what i heard...
i would rather choose a Gigabyte or MSI one.

GPU:
MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II,
Do feel free to recommend alternatives though i heard that this one is a good choice.

RAM:
Gskill F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL (4Gx4) Ripjaws

i think this one depends on the MOBO

Harddrive:
The harddrive question is my biggest headache...

Currently there seems to be a lot happening in this SSD area and i am confused. I read about Intel 510 and OCZ Vertex 3 are supposed to be good choices though availability is an issue as usual.

1) Two SSD's.. one around 120/160 GB for OS, and a smaller 40GB or so for running current working projects. These can be backed up on a normal harddisk for storage, a WD black, Seagate or whatever is sensible.

2) One SSD and two normal HD. the normal HD shall be for OS, a small SSD for workign projects and another bigger normal HD for storage. Unless you think havign a SSD as OS is better performance while working on PS/Maya.

3) stick to the combination of the earlier system... WD Black 1 TB as OS, and WD Green or Seagate 7200.12 1TB as storage. or two WD blacks (1 TB each). it's currently working fine and we don't have major issues, but do wish it would render faster at times.

I liked the idea of having 2 "small" SSDs one for the OS and another one as SCRATCH the issue here i think is that to keep the SSDs perform properly you need to keep a portion empty (headroom) which would be a big issue with a 60 GB one. Therefor i was thinking about alternative number 1).

DVD:
LG GH22NS50

is doing the job^^

PSU:
Corsair HX750W Profe.Power Supply

i think this one depends on the final config.

Case:
Nzxt TEMPEST EVO Crafted Series

personal preference

Can you tell me which keyboard and mouse do you currently have? Coz modeling and stuff one really requires a good precision mouse...
Buying a k series processor and overclocking it after one year would be like keeping a McLaren in the garage for one year instead of using it... If you are really not interested much in overclocking then dont buy a k series processor by doing this you would be able to save a couple of thousands coz imo overclocking a k series processor after 1year is pointless...
And as far as motherboard is concerened then you wouldn't really find a better board then P8P67 Pro for 12k... P8P67 Pro comes with bluetooth, 8 sata ports (4x3gbps + 4x6gbps), sli & cfx support, uefi bios and great overclocking ability... But if you want a gigabyte board only then you can consider P67A-UD4 ~ 12500 which is featureless as compared to the asus mobo... It has only 6 sata ports, doesn't come with uefi bios and doesn't overclock the cpu well...

erratic said:
Im rather surprised about the several recommendations regarding "Asus" since i heard from several sources its a risk in terms of service. I would like to go for MSI or Gigabyte unfortunately i couldnt find a proper one at the online shop i used to buy from (prime).
Well, seems like a lot has changed in like 2-3 months or so, It has gotten better, although it has miles to go in the right way to catch up with some others, The reason for the suggestion is that the motherboard is pretty top notch, tbh I've never actually had the chance to test out a snb + p67 combination, but yeah, going by the reviews ASUS is offering a great bit of technology for a pretty good pricepoint, makes a lot of sense buying that.

The the MSI way is a tad bit expensive but yeah you are going in the right way, P67>H67 when coupled with a discrete GPU, The MSI alternative to go with would be MSI P67A-GD55 (B3'ed) - You can find it online here.

erratic said:
GPU:MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II,

Do feel free to recommend alternatives though i heard that this one is a good choice.
The 560GTX Ti is a pretty good choice, If its not an ATi card at 16k would definately be a 560Ti (It does perform better in MMORPGs,+8FPS in WoW)

erratic said:
Harddrive:

The harddrive question is my biggest headache...

Currently there seems to be a lot happening in this SSD area and i am confused. I read about Intel 510 and OCZ Vertex 3 are supposed to be good choices though availability is an issue as usual.

Availability is an Issue, Eh, Did you check out primeabgb ? If not, shopping online will help.

Prime AbGb

The ITWares

SMC International

MediaHome

If nothing works out.

-Rule out option 2 , sounds like a lot of time will go into DB Management in the HDDs than real work (No offense)

-Rule out option 3 , Why go with scaled down components when the budget actually allows you to get better performance ?

There's one option left, which makes a lot of sense now, 120Gig SSD + WD Caviar Black as a store-whore. My take on the issue.

erratic said:
RAM:Gskill F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL (4Gx4) Ripjaws

i think this one depends on the MOBO

PSU:Corsair HX750W Profe.Power Supply

i think this one depends on the final config.

Case:Nzxt TEMPEST EVO Crafted Series[/B]

personal preference

1-RAM Depends upon motherboard ? :S Pretty simple, if you are going with a SNB Processor go with what you are at currently, If you are going with Bloomfield processors then go with a single Triple channel Kit. Dont know much about this, you could wait for people who know better about this to comment, What I know : In general conditions: Tri Channel Memory is about 5% faster than Dual channel, Going GB to GB there is a +100 rupee difference between Tri channel and Dual channel

BTW , Both the ASUS P8H67 and the MSI P67A-GD55 have the same 4 Slots of Dual Channel DDR3 RAM.

2-PSU, If you are going with the current config, a VX550 would do just fine. Period.

3-NZXT Tempest EVO : Could you skimp a little on the case ? :p Just so that you can spend more on the vital stuff ? Just an opinion again,

Component Model Price

CPU Intel Core i7 2600k 16200

Motherboard MSI P67A-GD55 (B3'ed) 9800

SSD OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SATA II 12000

HDD WD Caviar Black FAEX 1001.1TB 4800

GPU MSI GTX560 Ti 1GB GDDR5 15000

Chassis Lancool PC-K56/W 4100

RAM G-Skill F3-12800CL9Q 13000

PSU Corsair VX550 4800

ODD LG GH22NS50 900

Total 80600

hi hi :)

@hades
im currently using a logitech mx510 + wacom with both im pretty happy :)

@l33t
im postponing the idea of getting an SSD because i will go abroad soon and dont want my bigger investment to lie around. therfor i decided to go for 2 x caviar blacks and be safe for now.
the motherboard is alright even though i get a bit pissed, thinking of the upcoming Z chipset which is able to use all features of a SNB...what can you do if you need a system now...^^
regarding the PSU i will properly stick to the HX series which i already have one unit running with just fine. Unless somebody can tell me the difference about HX series and VX and why i should go for an VX series.

The current system looks like the following:

Component Model Price (Prime&SMC)
CPU Intel Core i7 2600k 17000
Motherboard MSI P67A-GD55 (B3'ed) 9800
GPU MSI GTX560 Ti 1GB GDDR5 14800
RAM G-Skill F3-12800CL9Q 13100
HDD 2x WD Caviar Black FAEX 1TB 9000 (á 4500)
ODD LG GH22NS50 1000
PSU Corsair HX650W 7575
Cabinet NZXT Tempest EVO 5700
Total 77975

BTW how are you guys doing the table? xD

erratic said:
@l33t

im postponing the idea of getting an SSD because i will go abroad soon and dont want my bigger investment to lie around. therfor i decided to go for 2 x caviar blacks and be safe for now.

Makes a lot of sense, A better NAND controller is all set to roll out, getting those from where you are going (I'm hoping that place is EPIC) would be a great investment, But yeah, do some reading up before setting out on the SF2k path.

erratic said:

the motherboard is alright even though i get a bit pissed, thinking of the upcoming Z chipset which is able to use all features of a SNB...what can you do if you need a system now...^^

Look at how pissed Iam at myself, I got a Dell XPS15 L501x (1st Gen Core i5) 2 days before the SNB-Based proccys came out. That's how cruel technology is, can't really do much about it.

erratic said:

regarding the PSU i will properly stick to the HX series which i already have one unit running with just fine. Unless somebody can tell me the difference about HX series and VX and why i should go for an VX series.
VX=Non Modular, HX=Modular, Internals are almost exactly the same, The tempest evo has pretty good cable management room, saving a couple of grand by getting a VX/TX based PSU will be a wise decision. VX range max = 550W , TX range max = 850W afaik, thats just the nomenclature, yeah.

Here's somethign that helps : http://www.techenclave.com/pc-peripherals/what-difference-between-corsair-tx-vx-118191.html

erratic said:
BTW how are you guys doing the table? xD

Do the stuff on Excel, Copy paste with the QUOTE code on, viola, your'e eyes are less strained :rofl:

The current config looks good to go, and yeah, read up on the MSi troubles now, read 2-3 threads about MSI P67 problems, caveat emptor ! Read up though, I was too sleepy then, never read why the problem really occured, google em.

Back